India (213) defeat Sri Lanka (172) by 41 runs to advance to the final of the Asia Cup 2023

daytrader

ODI Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
India will meet defending Asia Cup champions Sri Lanka in its second Super 4 game on Tuesday. Babar's Pakistan had outclassed Bangladesh before meeting India in the Super 4 phase of the tournament. Pakistan only have one match left to play in the Super 4 stage. The Green Army will take on Sri Lanka in their final Super 4 fixture. Pakistan are behind Sri Lanka in the Super 4 standings while Bangladesh are virtually out of the race for the two spots in the final.

As things stand on the Super 4 points table, Sri Lanka (+0.420) have a superior net run rate than Pakistan (-1.892). Pakistan will have to beat Sri Lanka in its final Super 4 fixture to remain alive in the qualification race. If India win its remaining two Super games (vs Sri Lanka and Bangladesh), Rohit's men will top the Super 4 standings to enter the final.

If Sri Lanka end up upstaging India and Pakistan in the Super stage, the reigning champions can seal their place for the Asia Cup final. Babar and Co. will then only have an outside chance if India suffer a defeat at the hands of Bangladesh. Pakistan will have a much better chance of qualifying for the final if India beat Sri Lanka on Tuesday. That way, net run rate won't come into play and they can play a virtual quarter-final with Sri Lanka to decide the finalist.

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Bumrah and siraj both were only bowled 5 over each so I don't think India will rest them .same team for this game also

This is perfect for Lanka. India will be tired after playing for 2 days in this heat and Pakistan's main bowlers are unfit. Shanaka and Silverwood will pounce on this and make the final yet agin.

This is perfect for Lanka. India will be tired after playing for 2 days in this heat and Pakistan's main bowlers are unfit. Shanaka and Silverwood will pounce on this and make the final yet agin.

Wont be that tiring as pacers barely bowled 5 overs.Only the two batsman, Kohli and KL would be tired.

India are set to be in action for the third successive day, and today they face Sri Lanka, India vs Sri Lanka toss in 30 mins

Expect massive changes from India

I recon 4-6 changes

So if Sri Lanka win, it’s curtains for Pakistan?

Srilanka win will make it impossible for Pakistan to qualify

Pitch and Conditions:
"We are back at the Premadasa. Mostly for me this Asia Cup, whenever rain has not been around, the cricket has been attractive and spectacular to watch because of the pace. This is pretty unique. When you look at the bounce in all the venues it is pretty high and has a similar kind of bounce, there's no low and slow bounce. The impact of pacers in this Asia Cup is huge as they have picked 70 percent of the wickets. The pitch for today is looking a lot different from the India-Pakistan pitch. No grass on this one," informs Sanjay Manjrekar. "This (surface) looks a lot like the Premadasa of the old years. This has no grass and I have a feeling it will have an abrasive effect on the ball," adds Matthew Hayden.

Sri Lanka (Playing XI): Pathum Nissanka, Dimuth Karunaratne, Kusal Mendis(w), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Dasun Shanaka(c), Dunith Wellalage, Maheesh Theekshana, Kasun Rajitha, Matheesha Pathirana

India (Playing XI): Rohit Sharma(c), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, KL Rahul(w), Ishan Kishan, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj

Rohit Sharma: We are going to have a bat. That's the challenge you come across as a sportsman, different challenges thrown at you as a player and as a team. We ensured everyone got into the pool after the game last night. They are fresh as we had five days off before these two games. The last game was good for us, we batted well and then came out to defend the total with some good bowling. But again this is a new day and a fresh game. The pitch looks different, looks a lot drier and there's no grass and hence we bring in Axar for Shardul. It might assist the spinners but we also have three quality pacers.

Dasun Shanaka: We would have batted first as well. They are a pretty strong side compared to us but we have to play a good game, we will somehow try to win the game. We are going with the same team

I guess, the better will be that India wins against SL today and Pakistan Wins against Sri Lanka in their next Super 4 match on the 14th of September if it is a completed match or else we are gonna have a problem surely.

Sri Lanka cannot be Written off. They are the defending champs and can play good cricket when it comes to such tournaments. Remember the last Asia Cup final, won out of nowhere.

Sri Lanka not that team anymore , this opening bowler just some gentle out swing. I expect India to score big here and then under lights Bumrah will be a handful

India win so that Pakistan can defeat SL later and qualify for the Finals..

Think its tough for our boys to motivate themselves after the marathon 2 day game last match. My hunch is we will lose this game and then beat BD on friday

:kp

The pace offered is much less, also unlike Pak bowlers (at least theoretically), it is much easier to attack all SL pacers anytime during the match. Also no mental boggy to dislodge- hence free but less risk-taking approach

India 43/0 (6.6/50 ov).
Good start from indian openers. Sri Lanka needs to bowl tight lines or else openers are gonna take this game away soon.

1694513061260.png

10,000 runs for the Hit-Man, and he gets there with a classy looking 6. We were writing him off at the start of the Asia Cup, but he's looking better and better as the tournament has progressed.

And we still scored 266 which was match winning score on that pitch but rain saved Pakistan
Brother with all due respect, we were discussing fast bowlers, and you only got to 266 because we played extra spinner.

Furthermore, the score of 266 was chase-able

And we still scored 266 which was match winning score on that pitch but rain saved Pakistan. You won. Just be happy.

Alright. You win that too. Are you happy now?

We will fix our combo and be ready for India next time. It will be much h harder when guys like nawaz and abrar come in. Will be more of a 50 50 game.

Brother with all due respect, we were discussing fast bowlers, and you only got to 266 because we played extra spinner.

Furthermore, the score of 266 was chase-able
Yes it was. See odd bumrah and siraj then we can always attack the rest of the bowlers. Kuldeep would be a pain though. We need to find a solution for him.

What’s Murali waffling on about?

Pathirana can crank it up to 147kmh

He’s not a below 140 bowler

Pathirana to Gill...giving me the IPL final feeling again between CSK and Gujarat

But Pathirana had mentor MSD with him that day

Onfe again we have a situation where Pakistan is cheering for India to win and also relying on an Indian win for advancement in a competition.

Embarrassment of a large order. Toothless stuff.

Remember champions trophy 2017? Sri Lanka chased 300 plus vs india which scarred india. Forced them to bowl first in the final.

Indian bowling is good but once you see off the main 2 bowlers, 300 is not hard to chase.

Even kuldeep if he gets hit, goes into a shell.

Onfe again we have a situation where Pakistan is cheering for India to win and also relying on an Indian win for advancement in a competition.

Embarrassment of a large order. Toothless stuff.
We are not cheering for india. Just want to see a good game.

If we are dependent on another team's performance to go through then we should just forget about playing this tournament.

Yes it was. See odd bumrah and siraj then we can always attack the rest of the bowlers. Kuldeep would be a pain though. We need to find a solution for him.
With no scoreboard pressure you don’t have to chase the boundary etc , I’m going to say something very controversial but Sarfraz wouldn’t be a bad shout to attack the spinners in middle overs.

I can’t think of any one else who can attack good spinners

With no scoreboard pressure you don’t have to chase the boundary etc , I’m going to say something very controversial but Sarfraz wouldn’t be a bad shout to attack the spinners in middle overs.

I can’t think of any one else who can attack good spinners
Don't want older sarfraz back. Prefer youngsters.

Maybe try nawaz as an AR.
Give ihansullah an opportunity. Tayub too.

Rohit in murderous mood
Lahiru, chameera not playing. Those 2 would make a difference if they played. Not saying india won't be favourites but had those 2 played against us and india, Sri Lanka might trouble batters from both sides.

Last game you played extra Pacers and we scored 356
If you bothered to look at the previous post and the start of the conversation you’d realise the context. I was talking about the first game and how pak bowlers are better than Sri Lanka and used the first game as example (as to say Sri Lanka fast bowlers can’t give that performance). We clearly had an off day the 2nd game and Haris was injured etc.

You won the game be happy and stop being insecure.

Pakistan should easily beat SL...looks like a very poor team so far. It will definitely be Ind v Pak final this sunday unless something dramatic happens.

SLAP, Rohit is on fire today. 47 from 40 today and India going at 7.5
They are on que for another big score

1694513982422.png

Wellalage has good flight to his balls. Gill totally missread the length.

Don't want older sarfraz back. Prefer youngsters.

Maybe try nawaz as an AR.
Give ihansullah an opportunity. Tayub too.
Problem is we’ve left it way too late. We could have experimented agains AFG and Nepal but our captain is a robot unfortunately

1694514676902.png

50 up for Rohit from 44 balls. Interesting graphic used by the broadcasters haha

Pakistan should easily beat SL...looks like a very poor team so far. It will definitely be Ind v Pak final this sunday unless something dramatic happens.
Lankans are technically better batsman than Pak Pak will make some xyz player of Lanka turn into Richard’s/warne/McGrath on Thursday theyr mentally shot after yesterdays mauling.

Kohli gone as I said earlier he is a quality bowler .send Kishan to counter him but this management is not so pro active

Back