India end Day 3 of the 4th Test against England on 40/0, needing another 152 more to win the series

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the stat Ashwin turned the ball the least among all bowlers from both sides in the 2nd innings. He didn't try to turn even one ball. He just changes grip when he bowls new ball and under cuts. None of the Ashwin's ball was scooting or turning big or even bouncing. He simply beat them in flight. Not a single wicket from Ashwin has anything to do with pitch. JUst that ENglish batsmen when they can't sweep, reverse sweep don't have many answer. Yadav ofcourse turns the ball anywhere being a wristie. He was grossly under-utilized in the first innings. Otherwise he would have done more damage when India allowed the game to drift.
When did I say otherwise?

My third post that he was quoting said this:
Great bowling by Ashwin, he’s amazing on these pitches.

India truly has an amazing spin attack for these conditions
Ashwin got his 5-fer and I complemented that. Ashwin is amazing at home.

If you look at the stat Ashwin turned the ball the least among all bowlers from both sides in the 2nd innings. He didn't try to turn even one ball. He just changes grip when he bowls new ball and under cuts. None of the Ashwin's ball was scooting or turning big or even bouncing. He simply beat them in flight. Not a single wicket from Ashwin has anything to do with pitch. JUst that ENglish batsmen when they can't sweep, reverse sweep don't have many answer. Yadav ofcourse turns the ball anywhere being a wristie. He was grossly under-utilized in the first innings. Otherwise he would have done more damage when India allowed the game to drift.
If the disagreement is just that I used the words “on these pitches” then that is an embarrassing thing for people to be upset about.

Ashwin is amazing in home conditions, and pretty good in away conditons. But at home is record is amazing. If somehow that complement is taken as an insult then I think people are trying to find reasons to be offended on Ashwin’s behalf.

I didn't like the fact some balls were scooting. But i would say a grand total of 15 to 20 balls that behaved like that across 4 innings. Vast majority of the balls were easy to negotiate due to slow nature of the surface. Biggest problem for ENgland here was they were unable to play their shots. Ravi shastri mentioned about the importance of playing on the fronfoot on a pitch like this. That game was lacking from some.

If the disagreement is just that I used the words “on these pitches” then that is an embarrassing thing for people to be upset about.

Ashwin is amazing in home conditions, and pretty good in away conditons. But at home is record is amazing. If somehow that complement is taken as an insult then I think people are trying to find reasons to be offended on Ashwin’s behalf.
Good we are in agreement there.

If you look at the stat Ashwin turned the ball the least among all bowlers from both sides in the 2nd innings. He didn't try to turn even one ball. He just changes grip when he bowls new ball and under cuts. None of the Ashwin's ball was scooting or turning big or even bouncing. He simply beat them in flight. Not a single wicket from Ashwin has anything to do with pitch. JUst that ENglish batsmen when they can't sweep, reverse sweep don't have many answer. Yadav ofcourse turns the ball anywhere being a wristie. He was grossly under-utilized in the first innings. Otherwise he would have done more damage when India allowed the game to drift
Rohit is a great captain but the if he has a fault, it's similar to one a lot of captains who come late to the job do. They tend to trust their old comrades.

Good we are in agreement there.
My issue was not with you though. It’s that random poster who quoted 3 of my posts, 2 of which said the pitch had flattened out and I thought England needed a 300 lead to feel safe here and then the third one which said Ashwin and the Indian spin attack was too good (I posted this after he took his 5fer).

Apparently this means that:
Maybe you feel the pitch was changing its color faster than a chameleon?

Even though nothing in those 3 posts is contradictory.

India was 40 odd for no loss even in the first Test. So i am going to be guarded given the two walking wickets at no.3 and no.4

India can also collapse. The only issue is inexperienced spinners from Eng bowl some hit me ball now and then. If they can keep it tight and let Indians take risks, they can put pressure.

It's hard for a team to win if 133/7 becomes 300 runs and then you are all out of 140 runs. Eng still needs to believe anything can happen and I would like Stokes to not do negative captaincy.

He was very poor and allowed Jurel and Tail to score so many runs. India was pretty much done and dusted but Stokes was very defensive and allowed India to come back in this game.

India can also collapse. The only issue is inexperienced spinners from Eng bowl some hit me ball now and then. If they can keep it tight and let Indians take risks, they can put pressure.

It's hard for a team to win if 133/7 becomes 300 runs and then you are all out of 140 runs. Eng still needs to believe anything can happen and I would like Stokes to not do negative captaincy.

He was very poor and allowed Jurel and Tail to score so many runs. India was pretty much done and dusted but Stokes was very defensive and allowed India to come back in this game.
His field set and everything is okay. But he overbowled Bashir. Bowled like 30 plus overs on the trot. Something he was not used to. Instead of mixing pace and spin he exclusively used spin when Kuldeep was new.

His field set and everything is okay. But he overbowled Bashir. Bowled like 30 plus overs on the trot. Something he was not used to. Instead of mixing pace and spin he exclusively used spin when Kuldeep was new.
I thought Kuldeep had no pressure and he kept blocking without having lots of fielders around him. He is not someone who hits big, I would have surrounded him more and also not given easy singles. Stokes looked like simply waiting for batsmen to make mistakes or lose patience. Just saw a couple of hours so can't say about the earlier days. He looked much better in earlier tests to me.

India have made England mentally disintegrate over this tour to the point England have been forced to abandon their Bazball tactics and go back to attritional cricket.

The contrast bw Pakistan and Indian Cricket can not be wider.

Pakistan under Babar had zero answers to England's Bazball approach with the bat and Stokes bowling, fielding tactics but India under Rohit have made the adjustments they needed to make to not only counter England's Bazball approach with the bat but have now instead forced them on the defensive where they have abandoned the Bazball approach and instead resorted back to their traditional attritional cricket

Pakistan under Babar had zero answers to England's Bazball approach with the bat and Stokes bowling, fielding tactics but India under Rohit have made the adjustments they needed to make to not only counter England's Bazball approach with the bat but have now instead forced them on the defensive where they have abandoned the Bazball approach and instead resorted back to their traditional attritional cricket
I think there was a little bit of a difference between the attack Pakistan fielded in the three Tests and India’s attack :)
Also, Root did not play “attritional” cricket in the first innings — he played sensible Test cricket.

I think there was a little bit of a difference between the attack Pakistan fielded in the three Tests and India’s attack :)
Also, Root did not play “attritional” cricket in the first innings — he played sensible Test cricket.

Yes it was sensible test cricket but England kept boasting about adopting an entertaining, fan friendly batting approach in test cricket and they have wilted under the pressure of losses to back track on their approach.

Also the difference between the two attacks was because Rohit is an understanding captain who can make adjustments with regards to the form of his bowlers and needs of the team in comparison to the Paindu Babar who just had a jaisay chalta hai waisay he chalne do and as a result made no changes to his bowling line up, field placings to counter England's bazball approach with the bat.

This is purely a matter of cricketing skills ... if Babar had players of the caliber of Jaiswal + Ashwin + Jadeja + Bumrah + Kuldeep he would automatically have an answer to Bazball. A captain is only as good as the players he has to work with unless the opposition has a worse set of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back