India v Pakistan ODI history - my journey as a fan

leonidas_alexandar

Local Club Regular
Runs
Post of the Week
As anticipation is slowly but surely reaching fever pitch for the upcoming Ind v Pak clash on October 14th - I wanted to share my experiences as an Indian fan over the entire ODI history of Ind v Pak decade wise.

DECADE 1 - 1971 to 1980.

PLAYED 3 WON 1 LOST 2.

I was not born in that decade but it is interesting to note that while India won the first ever ODI match between India and Pakistan - Pakistan did end up winning the series itself setting stage for their dominance in the next two decades.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DECADE 2 - 1981 to 1990.

PLAYED 31 WON 9 LOST 20 NO RESULT 2.

Although I was born in the middle of this decade I had not watched a single game since I was too young. So my experiences are limited to really reading the historical records. Clearly this is the decade where Pakistan truly stamped their ODI dominance over India.

FAMOUS INDIAN WINS
The glitzy 1985 final of the Benson & Hedges World Championship Of Cricket at the end of which Ravi Shastri famously won his Audi. India and Pakistan clashed twice including in this final and both times India prevailed.

And then there is this match in Sharjah in 1985 Rothmans four nation cup where India got bowled out for 125 and actually ended up winning that match by skidding Pakistan out for just 87 runs. Must have been a crazy game. And this remains the lowest score defended by either country playing against each other.

PAINFUL INDIAN LOSSES

Final of the Austral-asia Cup in 1986 which has now been immortalized by "that" Javed Miandad six where he grabbed a victory from defeat's jaws.

Now it is critical to mention that till this match - India actually had a superior record over Pakistan by 7-5 (in that particular decade) and then this Miandad match spelled doom for India since- as you can see that by the time the decade ended Pakistan ended up winning 20 against a mere 9 Indian wins.

There was this tour by Pakistan to India in 1987 where Pakistan crushed India 5-1 in a 6 match ODI series. Must have been a painful experience for Indian fans to watch Pakistan repeatedly beat the home team on Indian soil.

Just glad that there was no social media then to rub salt into Indian wounds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DECADE 3 - 1991 to 2000.

PLAYED 51 WON 19 LOST 30 NO RESULT 2.

This is the decade when I started watching cricket and this is the most painful decade for me as an Indian fan vis-a-vis ODI matches against Pakistan are concerned.

FAMOUS INDIAN WINS

Undoubtedly the 1996 World Cup quarterfinal against Pakistan in Bangalore has to be the most famous Indian win in that decade. India was fairly trudging along till Ajay Jadeja decided to unleash in the final overs and then who can forget the scare Aamir Sohail and Saeed Anwar gave the Indian fans in their chase before India won the match fairly easily in the end.

1998 Bangladesh Silver Jubilee Independence Cup Final. Pakistan scored 314 and India created a then world record in chasing that mammoth score. It was a nerve wracking final and perhaps the first time I saw India win in a game of nerves against Pakistan. I remember this series for Sachin's blistering starts at the top of the order and Saurav Ganguly's emergence as the first player which gave Indians hope even after Sachin got out early in a run chase.

PAINFUL INDIAN LOSSES

While Pakistan did win several matches -there's that particular series where Pakistan came to India for some Pepsi Cup and roundly thrashed India all the 3 times we met which was emblematic of their dominance.

Man, that particular decade symbolized a rampaging Pakistan and a meek Indian team with just Sachin being the silver lining.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DECADE 4 - 2001 to 2010.

PLAYED 34 WON 17 LOST 17.

While the record clearly suggests that there was a 50-50 split in matches won and lost - you have to absolutely understand how life-changing this was for an Indian fan given the insane domination Pakistan had over India till then. The fact that India could go toe to toe with Pakistan and win games was testament to the massive transformation not only in the Indian team but the Indian fans' expectation whenever these two teams met.

The emergence of Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni, Harbhajan, Gambhir, Suresh Raina, Zaheer Khan etc., - players who were so unlike 90's Indian players who exhibited a degree of meekness especially when playing against Pakistan.

FAMOUS INDIAN WINS

For me undoubtedly the match that set the stage for Indian assertiveness against Pakistan was the famous 2003 Centurion World Cup match remembered for Sachin's onslaught chasing a more than decent score that Pakistan set for India to win.

Even writing this makes me feel pinch myself but the fact that India went to Pakistan twice - once in 2004 and in 2006 and both times won the ODI series 3-2 and 4-1 respectively showcases how remarkable these results were given how the previous decades went.

In the 90's I used to think India would probably never win an ODI series in Pakistan in my life time and the fact that India won back to back series on their visits to Pakistan was just amazing and unbelievable.

PAINFUL INDIAN LOSSES

In 2005 when Pakistan visited India for a 6 match series - India led 2-0 and ended up losing the series 4-2 on the back of a sensational comeback by Pakistan. Reminded me of glimpses of Pakistan's never say die attitude from the 80's and 90's.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DECADE 5 2011 - 2020.

PLAYED 13 WON 9 LOST 4.

Finally the decade when the Indian team had a definite and a clear edge over Pakistan. It is just a shame that they only played 13 games as opposed to the frequent series between these two teams in the decades prior.

FAMOUS INDIAN WINS

2011 Mohali World Cup semi-final - the biggest Indian win over Pakistan - for not only that fact that it was a high pressure semi-final but India ended up winning the World Cup itself which made this semi-final win that much more sweeter.

PAINFUL INDIAN LOSSES.

For me it was of course the Champions Trophy 2017 final. As an India fan I did not see that coming at all and not only did we lose but we lost pretty comprehensively.

DECADE 6 2021 - 2030.

PLAYED 2 WON 1 NO RESULT 1.

Of course this was the most recent Asia Cup match where India trounced Pakistan by a record 228 run margin.

What are your memories of famous wins and painful losses in each decade?

I am surprised to see that India and Pakistan have only met in 2 ODIs in almost 3 years. There should be more cricket matches between these two cricket mad nations.

Disagree, it’ll be too one sided and that rivalry will start to fade away.

The less we play each other the more exciting it gets.
It shouldn't be that less that we don't play against them at least once in a year.

Disagree, it’ll be too one sided and that rivalry will start to fade away.

The less we play each other the more exciting it gets.
I mean if we had our 2017 team mixed with 2023 team and upcoming talent and assumed everyone was in the form of their life then it would be one heck of a contest. A side consisting of

1) Fakhar (2017 form)
2) Saim ayub(cpl Form)
3) Babar
4) Saud Shakeel
5) Haris Sohail (Fully fit, Prime)
6) Hafeez
7) Haris (WK)/ Sarfaraz (If playing sarfraz, then shifting up and down the order depending on match situation)
8) Naseem Shah (Fully fit)
9) Rauf
10) Shaheen Shah Afridi
11) Abrar/Ihsanullah (Depending on conditions)

^^ This team would easily challenge current India.

You'd have 2 inform strikers at the top, Babar would be a good no 3, Saud and haris would make Killer middle order. And hafeez can strike well. Haris would be a perfect no 7.

Pace bowling is good, and you have 3 spinners. Haros sohail, Hafeez and abrar.

Only issue is Tail is long but the top 7 can easily post 350 totals and bowling can defend it.

Imam, rizzu, agha, Shadab, Nawaz, Hasan Ali, Waseem Jr are the biggest liabilities I've seen in my life.

Pakistan and India should only play in ICC events every year. Scrap the Asia Cup as well.

This will keep the rivalry engaging and build the anticipation before every match.

I remember when we played a bilateral series every year from 2004-2008, the excitement kind of faded away.

The drawback Is that there wont be any Pakistan-India test matches unless both reach the WTC final.

I mean if we had our 2017 team mixed with 2023 team and upcoming talent and assumed everyone was in the form of their life then it would be one heck of a contest. A side consisting of

1) Fakhar (2017 form)
2) Saim ayub(cpl Form)
3) Babar
4) Saud Shakeel
6) Hafeez
7) Haris (WK)/ Sarfaraz (If playing sarfraz, then shifting up and down the order depending on match situation)
9) Rauf
10) Shaheen Shah Afridi

You'd have 2 inform strikers at the top, Babar would be a good no 3, Saud and haris would make Killer middle order. And hafeez can strike well. Haris would be a perfect no 7.

Only issue is Tail is long but the top 7 can easily post 350 totals and bowling can defend it.

Imam, rizzu, agha, Shadab, Nawaz, Hasan Ali, Waseem Jr are the biggest liabilities I've seen in my life.
Bro no honestly, is this a thread about what you think is the best Pakistan eleven to play in the World Cup?

1) Fakhar (2017 form)
2) Saim ayub(cpl Form)
3) Babar
4) Saud Shakeel
6) Hafeez
9) Rauf
10) Shaheen Shah Afridi

on paper it looks all good, but the reality is that India could rest Kohli, Sharma, Bumrah and Pandya vs our strongest xi in this present day and still beat us 3-2 in a 5 match series.

on paper it looks all good, but the reality is that India could rest Kohli, Sharma, Bumrah and Pandya vs our strongest xi in this present day and still beat us 3-2 in a 5 match series.

No for this team they'd need their Strongest 11 to beat us, but their strongest 11 would still most likely win.

Fakhar in 2017 was butchering bowlers left and right and it was his peak era, the fact you've rested kohli, Sharma, bunrah and pandya means siraj and kuldeep would be frontline. Assuming he sees them off he wouldn't struggle against Ashwin, Jadeja or shami( we're talking about 2017 fakhar), Similarly saim ayub would likely feast on Indian bowlers if their mains are rested and he can see off kuldeep and siraj.

If these 2 collapse then saud, Haris sohail, Babar and sarfi/haris can recover well.

Also shaheen, Naseem, Rauf, Amir(I think he's better then ihsanullah in this scenario) would dismantle the team if kohli and sharma are absent. They'd only struggle with Gill and even then idk, cause 2017 Ct final amir was damn near unplayable.

As I said current India vs the team I presented would be an epic contest.

Sadly that's just wishful thinking. Our current team is losing to India even if they play their C string side.

My favourite era of Indo-Pak cricket is the 2000s. Household names, packed houses, and a very competitive rivalry contrary to the common myth India dominated us after the 2003 WC win. The OP's stats show the W/L record in the 2000s was infact evenly split.

After India won in 2004, still the best bilateral ODI series I've seen, Pakistan enjoyed a good run winning encounters in the Asia Cup, Videocon Trophy, Champions Trophy, Kolkata Jubilee and in 2005. I felt Bob Woolmer was instilling some professionalism into the team. I remember our fielding in the last match at Delhi - even the often lethargic Yousuf was nailing direct hits.

India won convincingly in 2006 and 2007, but we traded wins in the 2008 Kitply tri-series, 2008 Asia Cup and won the 2009 CT clash. Despite Mohali and Kohli's matchwinning Asia Cup knock, there was the 2012/13 series win. That marked the end of any semblance of equality as India since evolved into a significantly better team bar the odd win.

As an Indian fan, my first memory of Ind vs pak was a sharjah match in which azar smashes ata-ur-rehman for 20+ runs in the last over.

1996 QF ind vs pak. I watched the match till 35 overs and went to tuition. India was set to score 250-260. I came running home from tutition to catch last few overs. Ajaya jaedja played a blinder , 45 off 25 balls. An average indian team had beaten a rampaging pakistani side, it was a huge upset. A controversial match too with wasim akram pulling out at the last minitue

1997 Ind vs pak saeed anwar scored 194 and had a filed day .

1998 independence cup final gangulys 124 won the final . I remember sweet distribution after the match

1999 -2000 Pak thrashes us in CB series in australia and one of the sharjah finals india were bowled for 130 in finals. An other final in bangalore in which pak thrashes india , batting first India scored 296 and india were bundled out

1999 world cup.. fluke indian win in world cup

2003 world cup.....sachins 98 knock which won us, Memorable match

2004 gangulys team won 2-1 in test series and 3-2 ODI. memorable

2005. Inzy's team avenged by beating us 2-1 in test matches and 4-2 in ODI's

2011 world cup Semi final. Pak was in great position to win but threw it away with sloppy fielding and reckeless batting. sehwags counter attack was distint in my mind.

As an Indian fan, my first memory of Ind vs pak was a sharjah match in which azar smashes ata-ur-rehman for 20+ runs in the last over.

1996 QF ind vs pak. I watched the match till 35 overs and went to tuition. India was set to score 250-260. I came running home from tutition to catch last few overs. Ajaya jaedja played a blinder , 45 off 25 balls. An average indian team had beaten a rampaging pakistani side, it was a huge upset. A controversial match too with wasim akram pulling out at the last minitue

1997 Ind vs pak saeed anwar scored 194 and had a filed day .

1998 independence cup final gangulys 124 won the final . I remember sweet distribution after the match

1999 -2000 Pak thrashes us in CB series in australia and one of the sharjah finals india were bowled for 130 in finals. An other final in bangalore in which pak thrashes india , batting first India scored 296 and india were bundled out

1999 world cup.. fluke indian win in world cup

2003 world cup.....sachins 98 knock which won us, Memorable match

2004 gangulys team won 2-1 in test series and 3-2 ODI. memorable

2005. Inzy's team avenged by beating us 2-1 in test matches and 4-2 in ODI's

2011 world cup Semi final. Pak was in great position to win but threw it away with sloppy fielding and reckeless batting. sehwags counter attack was distint in my mind.

2005 - the test series in India was a draw 1-1 - Pakistan did not beat India 2-1.

Pakistan did beat India at their home 1-0 but that was in 2006.

As anticipation is slowly but surely reaching fever pitch for the upcoming Ind v Pak clash on October 14th - I wanted to share my experiences as an Indian fan over the entire ODI history of Ind v Pak decade wise.

DECADE 1 - 1971 to 1980.

PLAYED 3 WON 1 LOST 2.

I was not born in that decade but it is interesting to note that while India won the first ever ODI match between India and Pakistan - Pakistan did end up winning the series itself setting stage for their dominance in the next two decades.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DECADE 2 - 1981 to 1990.

PLAYED 31 WON 9 LOST 20 NO RESULT 2.

Although I was born in the middle of this decade I had not watched a single game since I was too young. So my experiences are limited to really reading the historical records. Clearly this is the decade where Pakistan truly stamped their ODI dominance over India.

FAMOUS INDIAN WINS
The glitzy 1985 final of the Benson & Hedges World Championship Of Cricket at the end of which Ravi Shastri famously won his Audi. India and Pakistan clashed twice including in this final and both times India prevailed.

And then there is this match in Sharjah in 1985 Rothmans four nation cup where India got bowled out for 125 and actually ended up winning that match by skidding Pakistan out for just 87 runs. Must have been a crazy game. And this remains the lowest score defended by either country playing against each other.

PAINFUL INDIAN LOSSES

Final of the Austral-asia Cup in 1986 which has now been immortalized by "that" Javed Miandad six where he grabbed a victory from defeat's jaws.

Now it is critical to mention that till this match - India actually had a superior record over Pakistan by 7-5 (in that particular decade) and then this Miandad match spelled doom for India since- as you can see that by the time the decade ended Pakistan ended up winning 20 against a mere 9 Indian wins.

There was this tour by Pakistan to India in 1987 where Pakistan crushed India 5-1 in a 6 match ODI series. Must have been a painful experience for Indian fans to watch Pakistan repeatedly beat the home team on Indian soil.

Just glad that there was no social media then to rub salt into Indian wounds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DECADE 3 - 1991 to 2000.

PLAYED 51 WON 19 LOST 30 NO RESULT 2.

This is the decade when I started watching cricket and this is the most painful decade for me as an Indian fan vis-a-vis ODI matches against Pakistan are concerned.

FAMOUS INDIAN WINS

Undoubtedly the 1996 World Cup quarterfinal against Pakistan in Bangalore has to be the most famous Indian win in that decade. India was fairly trudging along till Ajay Jadeja decided to unleash in the final overs and then who can forget the scare Aamir Sohail and Saeed Anwar gave the Indian fans in their chase before India won the match fairly easily in the end.

1998 Bangladesh Silver Jubilee Independence Cup Final. Pakistan scored 314 and India created a then world record in chasing that mammoth score. It was a nerve wracking final and perhaps the first time I saw India win in a game of nerves against Pakistan. I remember this series for Sachin's blistering starts at the top of the order and Saurav Ganguly's emergence as the first player which gave Indians hope even after Sachin got out early in a run chase.

PAINFUL INDIAN LOSSES

While Pakistan did win several matches -there's that particular series where Pakistan came to India for some Pepsi Cup and roundly thrashed India all the 3 times we met which was emblematic of their dominance.

Man, that particular decade symbolized a rampaging Pakistan and a meek Indian team with just Sachin being the silver lining.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DECADE 4 - 2001 to 2010.

PLAYED 34 WON 17 LOST 17.

While the record clearly suggests that there was a 50-50 split in matches won and lost - you have to absolutely understand how life-changing this was for an Indian fan given the insane domination Pakistan had over India till then. The fact that India could go toe to toe with Pakistan and win games was testament to the massive transformation not only in the Indian team but the Indian fans' expectation whenever these two teams met.

The emergence of Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni, Harbhajan, Gambhir, Suresh Raina, Zaheer Khan etc., - players who were so unlike 90's Indian players who exhibited a degree of meekness especially when playing against Pakistan.

FAMOUS INDIAN WINS

For me undoubtedly the match that set the stage for Indian assertiveness against Pakistan was the famous 2003 Centurion World Cup match remembered for Sachin's onslaught chasing a more than decent score that Pakistan set for India to win.

Even writing this makes me feel pinch myself but the fact that India went to Pakistan twice - once in 2004 and in 2006 and both times won the ODI series 3-2 and 4-1 respectively showcases how remarkable these results were given how the previous decades went.

In the 90's I used to think India would probably never win an ODI series in Pakistan in my life time and the fact that India won back to back series on their visits to Pakistan was just amazing and unbelievable.

PAINFUL INDIAN LOSSES

In 2005 when Pakistan visited India for a 6 match series - India led 2-0 and ended up losing the series 4-2 on the back of a sensational comeback by Pakistan. Reminded me of glimpses of Pakistan's never say die attitude from the 80's and 90's.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DECADE 5 2011 - 2020.

PLAYED 13 WON 9 LOST 4.

Finally the decade when the Indian team had a definite and a clear edge over Pakistan. It is just a shame that they only played 13 games as opposed to the frequent series between these two teams in the decades prior.

FAMOUS INDIAN WINS

2011 Mohali World Cup semi-final - the biggest Indian win over Pakistan - for not only that fact that it was a high pressure semi-final but India ended up winning the World Cup itself which made this semi-final win that much more sweeter.

PAINFUL INDIAN LOSSES.

For me it was of course the Champions Trophy 2017 final. As an India fan I did not see that coming at all and not only did we lose but we lost pretty comprehensively.

DECADE 6 2021 - 2030.

PLAYED 2 WON 1 NO RESULT 1.

Of course this was the most recent Asia Cup match where India trounced Pakistan by a record 228 run margin.

What are your memories of famous wins and painful losses in each decade?
Nice analysis bro...I also started to follow cricket more frequently from 1995. Was never a great fan of the sports till my mid teen. Its all in assumption, but I feel the Indian team is more mentally string and fit, and in next 30 matches, the over all head to head records would be improved by leaps and bound in India's favor.

That 2003 ODI game in Centurion was the Kickstart of India's domination over Pakistan for the next two decades. The icing on the cake was that it was India's youth that got their final revenge against the 90's Pakistani fading stars.

For me undoubtedly the match that set the stage for Indian assertiveness against Pakistan was the famous 2003 Centurion World Cup match

It's hilarious how this keeps on getting repeated from time to time.

No it wasn't the turning point that everyone believes it to be. Over the next 4 years, the record was still almost 50-50. The real turning point was a certain MS Dhoni getting appointed as the Indian captain in 2007, followed by him leading us to glory at the T20 World cup beating Pakistan twice in the tournament. Since that, India started dominating and the record is 26-12 in our favour.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hilarious how this keeps on getting repeated from time to time.

No it wasn't the turning point that everyone believes it to be. Over the next 4 years, the record was still almost 50-50. The real turning point was a certain MS Dhoni getting appointed as the Indian captain in 2007, followed by him leading us to glory at the T20 World cup beating Pakistan twice in the tournament. Since that, India started dominating and the record is 26-12 in our favour.
It was game changer in the context of ind vs pak rivalries. I agree, dhoni gave the edge prior to that Sourav evened the record winning test series and odii series in 2004 in Pakistan which was not done by any captain.

if we are so invincible , why did we loose in 2021 t20 World Cup, 2022 Asia cup and alsmot lost in 2022 oct World Cup. The balance is again 50 50 now with quality players coming up in Pakistan in the last few years.

Indias dominance also coincided with a period of match fixing scandals, no cricket in Pakistan from 2009-2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 37 now and following cricket since 1995 and but one thing is quite common in thins journey that Ind vs Pak game's hype keep u awake whole night with always some negative vibes and that is what happening with me again.

I am 37 now and following cricket since 1995 and but one thing is quite common in thins journey that Ind vs Pak game's hype keep u awake whole night with always some negative vibes and that is what happening with me again.
I'm of the exact same age and started following cricket 1996. Have seen so much cricket in life that while Ind vs Pak WC matches excite me, it doesn't to the extent of the 1990's and 2000's.

Was this thread necessary to reopen the old humilation that our team used to regularly suffer in 90's?

A lot of credit is given to Pakistan's win where Miandad hit Chetan Sharma for a six as that seem to have started Pakistan's utter domination in the following decades. But what people fail to realize that it was around that time a young Wasim and Waqar along with Aqib Javed started to emerge. Pakistan also produced the likes of Anwar and Inzamam along with MoYo a little later. During that time, India only managed to produce one superstar in Sachin and a couple of half decent batsmen like Azharuddin and Siddhu.

I remember vividly in 90's whenever India played Pakistan, the result was pretty much a foregone conclusion. We used to cringe whenever they used to show teams side by side on the tv screen on the score card. Man to Man, Pakistan was so superior except for the No.4 slot when Sachin used to bat there.
We used to turn off the tv the moment Sachin used to get out.
90"s was Pakistan's golden era. They have not seen those peaks in the past 20 years. Its criminal that they did not win the 96 and 99 WC. Especially the 96 WC when they were playing in subcontinent.

2000s was the best decade of pak v ind for me. It is what brought me to the forum too :).

Pakistan had to punch above our weight that decade to scrap even on wins and losses. Ind on the rise ever since.

Was this thread necessary to reopen the old humilation that our team used to regularly suffer in 90's?

A lot of credit is given to Pakistan's win where Miandad hit Chetan Sharma for a six as that seem to have started Pakistan's utter domination in the following decades. But what people fail to realize that it was around that time a young Wasim and Waqar along with Aqib Javed started to emerge. Pakistan also produced the likes of Anwar and Inzamam along with MoYo a little later. During that time, India only managed to produce one superstar in Sachin and a couple of half decent batsmen like Azharuddin and Siddhu.

I remember vividly in 90's whenever India played Pakistan, the result was pretty much a foregone conclusion. We used to cringe whenever they used to show teams side by side on the tv screen on the score card. Man to Man, Pakistan was so superior except for the No.4 slot when Sachin used to bat there.
We used to turn off the tv the moment Sachin used to get out.
90"s was Pakistan's golden era. They have not seen those peaks in the past 20 years. Its criminal that they did not win the 96 and 99 WC. Especially the 96 WC when they were playing in subcontinent.

Au Contraire!! ... absolutely no humiliation at all ... every single decade since the 80s when ODI Cricket became the barometer of Cricket in India+Pak we have either won ALL major ICC events in each those decades till date or at least beat Pak in those ICC events including the 1992 WC when they won or were responsible for eliminating them from the tournament. Here is the list:

1. 1985 Benson and Hedges WC (Shastri crowned Champion of Champions :ROFLMAO: beating Pakistan and we even won the initial match vs Pak )
2. 1996 Eliminated Pak in QF KO - Epic Jadeja beatdown
3. 2003 Eliminated Pak in 2003 (Technically as they had to win against us to stay in contention as they had lost too many games prior to *THAT* match in Centurion)
4 .2007 T20WC - Same story as B&H
5. 2011 WC - Eliminated and went out to win the title. Beat that !!
6. 2013 Champion Trophy. Repeat of 2011. Beat Pak in initial round and went on to win the tournament !!

So far Pakistans only claim to fame is the 2017 CT win where they lost to Ind in the initial rounds and fluked into the finals due to SL sloppy fielding and a whole bunch of Coca-Cola/Pepsi/Hajmola/etc wins in Bilaterals and Sharjah :)

BTW Iam not even counting the numerous Asia cup wins and the absolutely demoralizing innigs defeats in test cricket in their backyard circa 2004.

In between all of these there are many gems all in major tournaments BTW rarely in bilaterals that I did not bother listing. :)

At the end of today's game - it will either be a painful loss or a wonderful memorable win for either set of fans.

Interesting thing.

Pakistan was #3 in terms of win% in ODIs for a very long time after RSA, Australia.

Bharat has now finally overtaken them and pushed them down to #4 with a win % of 52.99 (Pakistan 52.78).

Back