Joe Root - A talented young English batsman.

Bullet Drive

T20I Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
I'm currently watching the Friends Life t20, Quarter-Final: Yorkshire v Worcestershire & I'm watching Joe Root bat. He's currently on 65* and is batting beautifully.

He looks very good against pace bowling, hit a few boundaries early on in the power play and then when the slower bowlers came on he rotated strike very well and hit the odd boundary. He often swept and swept well.

Joe recently hit his maiden double ton. Steve Harmison rated it as one of the BEST innings he's ever seen and certainly the best innings he's seen by a young upcoming batsman. I also remember him scoring a 60 odd for the England Lions against Sri Lanka. He did this whilst opening the batting.

Here are his statistics so far:
2w21z0x.jpg

His statistics looks very good, especially considering he plays in tough English swinging & seaming conditions. Also this years English domestic season has been very tough for batsman and he has been one of the bright spots. I see a very good future for Root. He also bowls a bit of off-spin, he sometimes opens the bowling in T20 cricket. I'm already a big fan of him, hoping he does well. He certainly has the talent to do so.

I also have just noticed he's been named in the England world T20 30 man squad which is great news. I'm hoping he'll be selected.

Here is his Cricinfo profile:
Joe Root has already drawn comparisons with two of Yorkshire's finest batsmen. His patience and stubbornness at the crease had Geoffrey Boycott gushing that he reminded him of himself. Root is a product of Sheffield Collegiate, the same nursery that produced Michael Vaughan. Observers have noted that Root's front foot driving is similar to Vaughan's and not surprisingly, the two batsmen have a mutual admiration for each other. Root made his mark with the England Under-19 squad in Bangladesh, shortly before the youth World Cup in New Zealand in 2010. He signed a three-year contract with Yorkshire that year. He narrowly missed out on scoring 1000 runs in his first full season with the first XI, though his performances earned him a shot with England Lions. He is earmarked as a future England opener and his emergence is one of the few bright spots in what was a bleak Championship season for Yorkshire.

132264.jpg

Here is an interview with Joe Root:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pVrDIdL_MN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw him as a kid aged around 10/11 playing for King Ecgbert's School in Sheffield v Fir Vale School (my cousin's school) in a final in Sheffield.

Then saw him play for Collegiate at Abbeydale Park- he looked quality from day one and a class above the rest. I knew he would go to on to big things. I will be really happy when he plays for England :)

Now with Strauss retiring I'm hoping Joe Root gets a call up but most likely it'll be Michael Carberry.

Root has been sucessful at Under 19 level and has played for english lions as well so i think if he keeps up his form then an england call up wont be to far away.

Joe Root has been selected.

Joe Root is a player who has been successful at every level from county cricket through to EPP and England Lions, and he deserves this opportunity to step up to the next level and press his case for a place in the Test side

Yeah, unlike Compton he's English through and through.

Good luck to him, but I would have saved his debut for the Kiwi tour - the sub-continent is not an arena where you want to pick out new players.

Joe root finally getting some recognition. He used to play alongside my cousin and he all ways said he'll play international. I've watched him bat in headingley nets amazing player.

Compton's the better player. Don't want to be throwing kids in too young and then ruining their development like what has happened many times with Pakistan.

^whos your cousin if you don't mind?

Lol. Tell me your name first. Then I'll give you a clue :)

But I've seen Root twice- in 2001 and 2004. He smashed the bowlers all over the players and took wickets too although his bowling wasn't amazing.

Yes I hope so. Against Zaheer and not much else, he could do ok.

I thought he was brilliant even from the age of 10/11! If I meet him, I will remind him of those innings...

Don't recognise your name. But my cousin played for Fir Vale v King Ecgbert's then again for Shiregreen v Sheffield Collegiate XI

Just to add to the comments above . . Yesss joe has always looked class. I played along side him for the league representative sides through out junior cricket. Hope he gets picked so I can say I opened the batting alongside a test player lol

Nice lad Who's always bn down to earth. Hope he does well!

Joe Root

Making debut against India in India so what are you impressions of him so far?

He hasn't got very good domestic record but looks quite compact to me, especially against spin.

Good thing is that he is only 21 and already facing alot of spin in SC, will serve him good for future tours to SC.

Highly talented. Made a thread on him a few months ago. Cannot find it though.

very good technique..playing very steadily at this type of pitch where ball is keeping low..could be the next star for England..btw. is he saffer too?

He'll get rooted in the Ashes

Forget the Ashes for a good decade, find fast bowlers who can last more than a test before thinking of triumphing in a grueling 5 match series.

very good technique..playing very steadily at this type of pitch where ball is keeping low..could be the next star for England..btw. is he saffer too?

He's completely English.

Compton will do well in England. Root will do better overall. Love the way he's played a pressure knock, something Bell cannot do after almost a decade.

This is how Pakistan should select their team. Based on talent and techinque not crapy domestic cricket as most people on this site look at!!!! Most of our success has been the ability and willingness of our captain to introduce youngsters. Not the Dogar's of the world!!!

Here is your thread BD.

Can the Mods please merge the other thread with this one.

As much as I don't care for Yorkshiremen, they do give us gritty battlers of batsmen. It's amusing how it turns out. Yorkshire seems to make good batsmen, and Lancs produces good bowlers. Both in the same mold too. None of the flashy stuff like other counties, but good hard workers.

And I don't think he'll oust Compton. Compton is still pure class once he gets his feet under him. Root is currently running on talent, and at Test level, talent needs honing before he gets to a dependable status.

As much as I don't care for Yorkshiremen, they do give us gritty battlers of batsmen. It's amusing how it turns out. Yorkshire seems to make good batsmen, and Lancs produces good bowlers. Both in the same mold too. None of the flashy stuff like other counties, but good hard workers.

And I don't think he'll oust Compton. Compton is still pure class once he gets his feet under him. Root is currently running on talent, and at Test level, talent needs honing before he gets to a dependable status.

Root has much more potential. Compton is a good, hard working player in the mould of Petersen and Cowan. They won't be remember by the next generation and won't make a lasting impact. All three of them will eventually be trumped by more talented, young players.

Root has much more potential. Compton is a good, hard working player in the mould of Petersen and Cowan. They won't be remember by the next generation and won't make a lasting impact. All three of them will eventually be trumped by more talented, young players.

I think of Compton as mini-Cook. Not as good, but is a hungry grafter. He's a terror when in form. Wont be able to play the KP role, but will grind down the opposition.

Looks solid with good teprament :) way better than useless patel

Sent from my LG-SU660 using Tapatalk 2

Batted very well by far lets see if he continues like this in the morning if he and Prior bats for another 100 England will be on top.

I wish him luck. He looks like a fighter. I hope KP doesn't bash him on twitter :p

On a serious note, where is James Taylor?

Congratulations to England for finally picking an English batsman. Good start for the lad, wish him well in his career.

Strange isn't it ? Headingley should see more bowlers coming through and the good bounce at Old Trafford should be very enjoyable to the batters.

Though, it is no longer all about the Yorkies and Lankys :boycott . Nottinghamshire are in pole position w.r.t supplying quality English players, both hardworking and flashy

Last edited:
Strange isn't it ? Headingley should see more bowlers coming through and the good bounce at Old Trafford should be very enjoyable to the batters.

Though, it is no longer all about the Yorkies and Lankys :boycott . Nottinghamshire are in pole position w.r.t supplying quality English players, both hardworking and flashy

Well, Headingly makes it too easy to bowl, and Trafford not as well. Besides, for ages the Lancs have been pathetic at batting. Apart from Horton, Overseas batsman and Croft, occasionally Smith, we depend on the bowlers too much. And those four bats never perform together, it's alwways individual.

Though we've had a fine group of bowlers in Chapple (old, but best County pacer to not receive a Test cap imo), Kerrigan (excellent young spinner), Hogg (on and off, but can look excellent in patches) and Keedy (old but was good).

We also spent last year at Aigburth (unfortunately not many CC matches in Aigburth this year, despite the fact that I lived for a month there this year across the road from the ground) which was great for bowling.

Shouldnt Somerset be winning the CC every year based on what they have on paper?

Trescothik
Compton
Hildreth
Pieterson
Buttler
Suppiah
Kieswetter
C Overton
J Overton
Dockrell
Kirby

Ruri on Yorkshire... :moyo

#LancsBias.

2011 was beautiful, a Lancs win AND a Yorkshire relegation. But par for the course, we managed to get relegated this year and the Yorks got back to Div 1.

One of the weakest batting sides in County :(

Shouldnt Somerset be winning the CC every year based on what they have on paper?

Trescothik
Compton
Hildreth
Pieterson
Buttler
Suppiah
Kieswetter
C Overton
J Overton
Dockrell
Kirby

Pietersen is Surrey?

And their bowling isn't as strong as other teams, though their batting is monstrous. And you need a strong bowling side to win 4 days cricket (only reason Lancs won 2011). And since Taunton is a road, they draw a high amount of matches.

Trescothik
Compton
Hildreth
Pieterson
Buttler
Suppiah
Kieswetter
C Overton
J Overton
Dockrell
Kirby
They bloody choke lol! :kallis But seriously if any team deserved it this last summer, it were the bears. It would have been so easy to give it all up after what happened last year

They bloody choke lol! :kallis But seriously if any team deserved it this last summer, it were the bears. It would have been so easy to give it all up after what happened last year

Ha, they lost 9 points to deductions alone, would have had them 2 adrift of Lancs. (Admittedly it was a terrible pitch if I recall).

And McKenzie.

<3 McKenzie. MVP for Lancs, battling hard to give Warks the draw.

Last edited:
Ha, they lost 9 points to deductions alone, would have had them 2 adrift of Lancs. (Admittedly it was a terrible pitch if I recall).

And McKenzie.

<3 McKenzie. MVP for Lancs, battling hard to give Warks the draw.
Yeah that was one squeaky bum of a day! Though the season had finished a few days prior to that for me with my second team Nottighamshire being safe and Sir Rob Key ensuring that Kent had zero chance of promotion.

Last edited:
Pietersen is Surrey?

And their bowling isn't as strong as other teams, though their batting is monstrous. And you need a strong bowling side to win 4 days cricket (only reason Lancs won 2011). And since Taunton is a road, they draw a high amount of matches.

I meant Peterson sorry.

I think Somerset should persist with their bowlers. The Overton brothers are going to be England quality splendid fast bowlers in a few years and Dockrell has been very impressive for Ireland.

@Deus.. As you seem like a keen follower of Somerset, do you reckon Kiesy would ever be able to keep for England in the tests ? And is Dockerell ready for tests ? :eoin :afridi

Last edited:
Craig Kieswetter keep for England in tests? :))

No, just no. His technique leaves much to be desired. Shows his stumps as he tries to cut onto the off side far too often.

I think with experience he will become a solid one day international ODI and T20 keeper though. I've far more hope for Jos Buttler.

I think Dockrell should be given a few more seasons for experience before throwing him in. I think in terms of spinners, Lancashire's Simon Kerrigan will be the next England spinner.

Go easy on Kiesy Legend! I got a really soft corner for him! Won us the first ever limited overs world championship. :afridi . And with all his bipolar disorder and stuff, he comes across as bit of an enigma. :D

I don't want to say anything extraordinary but very honestly to make your debut on such a difficult track against one of the better sides in the world, facing 4 different spinners which is not natural for Englishmen, coming in to bat at a difficult situation and then scoring 73 is indeed a very impressive performance by a debutant!

well done Joe Root!!!

Great to see him debut. Feel proud to have predicted a test cricketer from many years back!

He played brilliantly. Smashing temperament.

I think he is going to become something quite special.

Age of 21, test debut against spin.

Fantastic defensive techique and had many shots. Whacked ball over head for six, paddle sweeps, reverse sweeps and normal sweeps.

Yet another exciting talent straight from the English system, i'm starting to lose count of all the quality players we're producing.

Good start on debut, intresting to see if he continues to play in same manner in other test matches or with time and confidence wether he becomes more expansive with his shots etc...

I think he is going to become something quite special.

Age of 21, test debut against spin.

Fantastic defensive techique and had many shots. Whacked ball over head for six, paddle sweeps, reverse sweeps and normal sweeps.

He was handling situation like a veteran!! :misbah

Very promising bat. Has shot ahead of Morgan, Bairstow and Taylor.

Yet another exciting talent straight from the English system, i'm starting to lose count of all the quality players we're producing.

Lol you get excited very easily. :))

Vaughan's protege. Already looking like he could turn out to be better.

Very confident and calm-looking player.

Looks even better prospect than James Taylor and Johnny Bairstow.

Very impressed with Joe Root´s recent performances. As SOSami bhai said above, looks a calm character:).

Eng ODI batting looks great, will get better when KP comes back.
They are gonna be a tough team to beat in Champions Trophy.

Vaughan's protege. Already looking like he could turn out to be better.

I was about to say that he can become better than Vaughan. Quality bat this guy is. Played spin with ease in India.

Totally love this guy but what are they doing with Bairstow ? Stop messing arnd and get him into the team

Back