Junaid Khan vs Bhuvneshwar Kumar

In general my nationalist bias prevents me from taking any comparisons with Indian Pacers very seriously, no matter how credible.

Junaid Khan making a strong case for himself after he was pretty much written off.

Whatever we say now may or may not be true two years from now.

When this thread was made Junaid was arguably better than Kumar, then Kumar surged ahead and Junaid regressed. Now we are seeing a resurgence of Juniad. It remains to be seen how far he will go.

Junaid is better ODI bowler than any Indian barring Shami..But In tests Bhuvi and Shami are slightly better than him right now.

Junaid has transformed the Pakistani attack from a mediocre one to a quality one. Kumar will only regress the Indian attack if he is brought back.

Junaid vs Shami is a better comparison moving forward.

Junaid did good in 1 game, let see what he does over a period of games before making bold statements.

Glad he was selected though, he deserved a 2nd chance

I would rather have Kumar who can bat and field than Junaid who is mediocre with the ball and cannot bat or field.

Great to see Bhuvi back on track, fantastic swing bowling at high pace. At the moment, he is about three levels above Junaid, and should lead India's formidable attack in the Champions Trophy.

Great to see Bhuvi back on track, fantastic swing bowling at high pace. At the moment, he is about three levels above Junaid, and should lead India's formidable attack in the Champions Trophy.

What pace was he bowling at? Even in the past, i've seen him bowl high 130's but i doubt he's bowling 140+ consistently.

Bhuvi has always been a wonderul IPL bowler. Has been in top 3 wicket takers for the last few seasons. Needs to bring those same skills and consistency to international cricket esp on flatter wickets.

Will be a vital part of our bowling unit in the Champions Trophy. Hopefully he keeps up the same form.

For whatever reason Junaid hasn't played any tests in a while so I can't compare them but as an ODI bowler I still think he is superior to Bhuv...by a distance actually. Bhuv is a terrible ODI bowler.

Junaid has transformed the Pakistani attack from a mediocre one to a quality one. Kumar will only regress the Indian attack if he is brought back.

Junaid vs Shami is a better comparison moving forward.

He's a decent bowler bowling at death, okay as a fielder and can hold bat.

if it was ishant sharma vs junaid even then you would have choose ishant

bhuvi is at the moment ahead of juni in test but yet to see him very good in odis where he struggles at times

bhuvi is at the moment ahead of juni in test but yet to see him very good in odis where he struggles at times

Not a hard decision. Junaid at the moment is not better than any Indian pacer who has played for India regularly in the last couple of years.

What pace was he bowling at? Even in the past, i've seen him bowl high 130's but i doubt he's bowling 140+ consistently.

I have only watched his wickets & he is swinging as much as he used to, but he is doing it at 140+ which he didn't before. He was in the 130s and in 2014-15 when his form dipped, he started bowling like Praveen Kumar. He is my favourite current Indian pacer and I am really glad to see him perform well.

Bro, Ishant is not that bad actually. Won us a series in WI, and has 2 5fers in NZ, 1 in England, and 1 in Sri Lanka. Many Asian pace attacks collectively haven't done as much abroad.

Bro, Ishant is not that bad actually. Won us a series in WI, and has 2 5fers in NZ, 1 in England, and 1 in Sri Lanka. Many Asian pace attacks collectively haven't done as much abroad.
Afridi won a lot of games for Pakistan too. How much did he lose though?

Afridi won a lot of games for Pakistan too. How much did he lose though?

Yeah, and that is why I wouldn't compare him to Gilchrist or a Dhoni. But comparing Ishant to Junaid is a lot closer than that, so these things do count.

Bhuvi has piacked up pace. He always had control and swing. He is better than lot of bowlers and that includes Junaid. In subcontinent only bowler who is better than him is Umesh.

Mohammed Amir, Hasan Ali and Mustafizur Rahman all are better than BK and UY.

Yeah, and that is why I wouldn't compare him to Gilchrist or a Dhoni. But comparing Ishant to Junaid is a lot closer than that, so these things do count.
lol but Junaid has feats that put him ahead of both Bhuvi and Ishant. ATM tho yeah, he's probably Ishant level, maybe below.

Ishant is the Umar Akmal of bowling....nah that's a compliment, he's the Kamran Akmal of bowling. So please don't be the Hawkeye to Ishant.

Havent seen JK bowl this season but if he can bowl toe crunchers at 140 then he is indeed better than BK. What transformation by BK, from being a 125 swing bowler to a 135-140 swing with new ball and yorkers with the old bowler. Though in tests in non seaming conditions he will be found out. His lack of height means the bouncers arent nasty enough.

Bhuvi is leaps and bounds ahead, I'm sorry. Junaid Khan had one OK game which every is speaking of and even there he was the most expensive bowler. Bhuvi is bowling at pace and with his massive swing, he's lethal. He's one bowler in the Indian attack that genuinely scares me.

Junaid at the end of the day could become a better bowler than Bhuvi because he has a height advantage. Whether he utilizes that or not is another story.

juni have also won many matches for us he is struggling with the ball after injury but he is still young

and he is also way ahead of ishant and record suggest that also

Not a hard decision. Junaid at the moment is not better than any Indian pacer who has played for India regularly in the last couple of years.

still his record is very good and i stand by he is better than bhuvi in odis and miles ahead of ishant who is

yet to perform well regularly

I have only watched his wickets & he is swinging as much as he used to, but he is doing it at 140+ which he didn't before. He was in the 130s and in 2014-15 when his form dipped, he started bowling like Praveen Kumar. He is my favourite current Indian pacer and I am really glad to see him perform well.

Interesting. I'll reserve my judgement after i see him play a test or an ODI though to see if he can swing the ball at decent speeds over longer spells. The problem with Bhuvi was that whenever he increased his pace, he seemed to get injured. Quite fragile in my opinion.

As ordinary as Junaid is, Bhuvneshwar averages 39 in ODIs. That's not acceptable byany means. Would be useful in England though I suppose.

Dude Amir hasn't performed for ages.. Fizz is running out of his fizz again. Hasan has potential.

Don't judge by recent 2,3 performances in Tamasha league, Amir, Hasan, Junaid and Mustafizur are far superior than any Indian bowler playing and it is evident in their respective stats.

BK seems to be a changed bowler. He upped his pace by almost 10k's now. Though it is only in T20 cricket, it was nice to see him bowl at 140k and swing the ball both ways. Batsman are struggling to hit him in super batting friendly conditions.

Haven't seen Juniad Khan in a while. Can't comment.

As ordinary as Junaid is, Bhuvneshwar averages 39 in ODIs. That's not acceptable byany means. Would be useful in England though I suppose.

Bhuvneshwar plays a lot of ODIs on Indian roads where 350 is the par score. On those pitches, Junaid will get demolished. Besides, pretty much like Junaid, he has been very poor in 2014-2015 but has looked very good lately. Junaid however, is still out of sorts. He has always been inferior to Bhuvneshwar with the new ball, but now he is slower as well.

still his record is very good and i stand by he is better than bhuvi in odis and miles ahead of ishant who is

yet to perform well regularly

Not interested in his record given the fact that he has been rubbish since 2014. You can stand by whatever you want, that is your opinion. However, I won't take him over an Indian bowler who has played in the last couple of years. Yes he is better than the likes of Dinda etc., but it doesn't mean anything. He will cost us in the Champions Trophy as expected.

Interesting. I'll reserve my judgement after i see him play a test or an ODI though to see if he can swing the ball at decent speeds over longer spells. The problem with Bhuvi was that whenever he increased his pace, he seemed to get injured. Quite fragile in my opinion.

He is the best new ball bowler in Asia by some distance. He has natural ability to swing the ball both ways, his workload should be managed.

Don't judge by recent 2,3 performances in Tamasha league, Amir, Hasan, Junaid and Mustafizur are far superior than any Indian bowler playing and it is evident in their respective stats.

Junaid is ordinary- overhyped. Amir has done zilch since his return- he is turning into Junaid v2. How you have come to that conclusion I don't know.

Bhuvi has piacked up pace. He always had control and swing. He is better than lot of bowlers and that includes Junaid. In subcontinent only bowler who is better than him is Umesh.

lol what? I just watched him against England, he was still a 75-80mph trundler. Good accuracy thoug hand it helps in swinging conditions in test matches but woeful in limited overs.

BK seems to be a changed bowler. He upped his pace by almost 10k's now. Though it is only in T20 cricket, it was nice to see him bowl at 140k and swing the ball both ways. Batsman are struggling to hit him in super batting friendly conditions.

Haven't seen Juniad Khan in a while. Can't comment.
clocked fastest of 147kph consistently clocking 139-145, with loads of 140 + deliveries, bhai kya kha liya aisa.

Junaid Khan averages 10 points lower than Kumar in ODIs and therefore, is clearly the superior ODI bowler. Always was and always will be. In tests, I can't say much about Khan because he hasn't played a test in a while due to his injuries, but I'd wager that he's way more useful in the test format than Kumar, who is unable to make the Indian side except when they play on a pitch with swing/seam movement on offer.

Kumar is the better IPL bowler though. Congratz. :salute:

Hard pill to swallow for Pakistani fans but pakistani bowling attack in terms of both economy rate and wicket taking ability is at its poorest...wake up guys this is not 1999 lol

Hasan Ali is the only promising "fast" bowler in Pakistan right now and he bowls at what 130 clicks :))

Indian fast bowling is atleast a couple of notches above right now

But on topic how can you compare a player who is trying to make a comeback and dropped due to poor performances with one of the best swing bowlers in the world and a franchise player in T20s surely

Hard pill to swallow for Pakistani fans but pakistani bowling attack in terms of both economy rate and wicket taking ability is at its poorest...wake up guys this is not 1999 lol

Hasan Ali is the only promising "fast" bowler in Pakistan right now and he bowls at what 130 clicks :))

But on topic how can you compare a player who is trying to make a comeback and dropped due to poor performances with one of the best swing bowlers in the world and a franchise player in T20s surely
Have you seen Hasan bowl recently?

Consistently been above 140 km/h. His skill set is better than any Indian bowler right now.

Have you seen Hasan bowl recently?

Consistently been above 140 km/h. His skill set is better than any Indian bowler right now.

You know he has some skill there I will give him that but above 140ks consistently lol...at best he is a 135k bowler.

Right now he is going through what I call the afridi phase where if you treat him like a weaklink and parttimer he will hurt you because he is much better than that but at the same time if you give him too much respect you will miss out on some invaluable runs.

He gets his wickets when Aussies have got 300 for fun and trying to take advantage of him or westindies hacks underestimating him.

He was smacked for fun in Australia and in the 1st odi whenever the batsman played him in merit and treated the better deliveries he gets in with respect.

He has an upside sure in a depleted pace attack but it's too much saying he has better skill sets than Indian bowlers lol.

Obviously you will have your biases I am ok with that but subjectively he is good and there is an upside but still a long long way to go

You know he has some skill there I will give him that but above 140ks consistently lol...at best he is a 135k bowler.

Right now he is going through what I call the afridi phase where if you treat him like a weaklink and parttimer he will hurt you because he is much better than that but at the same time if you give him too much respect you will miss out on some invaluable runs.

He gets his wickets when Aussies have got 300 for fun and trying to take advantage of him or westindies hacks underestimating him.

He was smacked for fun in Australia and in the 1st odi whenever the batsman played him in merit and treated the better deliveries he gets in with respect.

He has an upside sure in a depleted pace attack but it's too much saying he has better skill sets than Indian bowlers lol.

Obviously you will have your biases I am ok with that but subjectively he is good and there is an upside but still a long long way to go
You obviously haven't seen him bowl recently...

Now of course he's still got a long way to go and he isn't better than any of the Indian bowlers but on the basis of potential he's right up there with Amir, and unlike the latter he's actually been performing.

Oh loook, another guy who thinks performance in IPL makes your bowler world beaters, because they get expensive coaching from former legends and bigwigs of the game, and an insane media hype like every youngster is the next Akram or Mcgrath

As of 23/07/17 in ODIs:

Junaid Khan Games: 62 Deliveries:2965 Wickets:94

Bhuvneshwar Kumar Games: 64 Deliveries: 3182 Wickets:68

You do the math :yk

Also, JK was sublime in India/SA series wins (pre-injury)

Bump.

I'm not sure who is better now. They might be equal tbh.

I know Pakistan have better fast bowlers than India. But you have to really delusion to think Junaid is better or at par with Bhuvi. Bhuvaneshwar definitely is a better bowler than Junaid atm.

Bhunveshwar is better. Better seam position, more skilled with the ball, swings it both ways, and now is faster than Junaid as well.

Maybe in 2012 you could've made a case, but even then Bhuvi looked good.

Now however....

It's like a cheap Big Mac from McDonald's vs a gourmet burger from Gordon Ramsay's restaurant in Las Vegas

Bhuvneshwar was incredible in the final. Only bowler who was holding the fort for India. Stats don't show how well he bowled that day.

Tears in my eyes, this post lmao. It's like a drunken mistake which you heavily regret in the morning.

I know Pakistan have better fast bowlers than India. But you have to really delusion to think Junaid is better or at par with Bhuvi. Bhuvaneshwar definitely is a better bowler than Junaid atm.

There test records are very close, especially keeping in mind that I believe junaid has only played two tests out of Asia

In Odis junaid has a far superior record

In t20s it's bhuvi

I think they are pretty similar overall

Bhunveshwar is better. Better seam position, more skilled with the ball, swings it both ways, and now is faster than Junaid as well.

Maybe in 2012 you could've made a case, but even then Bhuvi looked good.

Now however....

It's like a cheap Big Mac from McDonald's vs a gourmet burger from Gordon Ramsay's restaurant in Las Vegas

This Bhuvi who I keep hearing is really good, has some really average International stats.

The Sami of this era?

Not much to choose between the two! Bhuvi has more swing but for some reason bowls too defensively not sure if that's the plan given to him by captain/team management limits his impact on games. Most of his wickets come with batsmen trying to play aggressive shots despite him capable of swinging the ball. JK looks to take wickets hence better stats.

There test records are very close, especially keeping in mind that I believe junaid has only played two tests out of Asia

In Odis junaid has a far superior record

In t20s it's bhuvi

I think they are pretty similar overall

I said atm which says 'at the moment'. Bhuvi can swing both ways at 140+. He has been consistently hitting this speed for almost a year. Has developed a good bouncer. He is lethal on swinging tracks and Can bowl economically on batting tracks where there is nothing for bowlers.

Junaid 'was' better bowler in the past but not right now. If its only about stats then i can bring atleast 10 nobodies who have better stats than many ATG players.

I said atm which says 'at the moment'. Bhuvi can swing both ways at 140+. He has been consistently hitting this speed for almost a year. Has developed a good bouncer. He is lethal on swinging tracks and Can bowl economically on batting tracks where there is nothing for bowlers.

Junaid 'was' better bowler in the past but not right now. If its only about stats then i can bring atleast 10 nobodies who have better stats than many ATG players.

Junaid played one less match in the CT than Bhuv and ended up in the top three highest wicket takers in the tournament, while Bhuv wasn't even in the top five. So "AT THE MOMENT" Junaid is miles ahead of Bhuv.

Even with Junaid's resurgence, Bhuvi is still ahead. He is more valuable to the team. Plus we have to see how Junaid will do from now on. I wish him the best.

While being economical and creating pressure is great, I still take and prefer wicket-taking bowlers. In this day and age, you MUST take wickets to be considered good. Bhuvi is good, but the few 1-2 customary wickets is not good enough. As we've seen in the CT, JK creates pressure by bowling maidens but also picks up a lot of wickets.

Junaid Khan haters as usual doing their lip service to further their agenda's.

Keep going. These days He is busy giving Shutup calls to his fans through his performances.

You people keep crying about his action & pace.

O My Dear Brother. Welcome to Pakpassion.

Love for all hatred for None.

I'm not a Junaid fan Bhai. I think he is very limited bowler, Rumman Raees will be better option compared to him.

I like Rumman Raees, Very Intelligent bowler.

I'm not a Junaid fan Bhai. I think he is very limited bowler, Rumman Raees will be better option compared to him.

I like Rumman Raees, Very Intelligent bowler.

I am fan of many domestic players. So what ?

Should performing players be dumped for my favourites ?

I have no issues with you not being a fan of JK. I hope he improves further to reach India/SA 2012-2013 level. Good diet, training, hardwork will ensure it I.A

I am fan of many domestic players. So what ?

Should performing players be dumped for my favourites ?

I have no issues with you not being a fan of JK. I hope he improves further to reach India/SA 2012-2013 level. Good diet, training, hardwork will ensure it I.A

Match loosing spells are around the corner. He pushed up his game in CT2017 like Sher Dil Wahab Vicky but won't sustain these performances.

His PSL and Pakistan Cup performances are behind my argument rather than prophecies.

He also was smashed in Australia. Looked average in WI

I learn from past but I don't live in past.

Seriously what is up with you Hamza :)) why are you giving JK a bad-dua and your prophecies are not even based on his most recent performances which was the excellent Champions Trophy Tournament, how does that logic even stand :angelo

This Bhuvi who I keep hearing is really good, has some really average International stats.

The Sami of this era?

Watch him bowl brother, cricinfo statsguru ko chorh.

Him vs Junaid rn is a lot like Yousuf vs Younis. At first glance just by looking at stats you may think Younis is a league above, but if you actually watched both play and follow both their careers you'd see Yousuf is better. He outshone Younis abroad when they toured together and always seemed more in control than Younis, who made a career off of inflating his numbers in UAE flatbeds.

Yousuf unfortunately did not have the sheer discipline of Younis, and got unfit and unmotivated. But had he remained focused and kept playing till around 2014 or 2015 himself he would've cashed in on the UAE phattas as well and inflated his stats.

that's how I see Bhuvi vs Junaid. One guy plays in the batting paradise of India where 300+ is the norm, and by that standard his stats don't look that bad.

But if you watch both bowl, you will be able to tell who is more skilled.

I know stats may tell another tale rn, but I'm telling you, give it 3-4 years and the stats will speak the real truth.

Had Junaid not gotten dropped in 2014 when he went a streak of matches wicketless, he'd look a lot worse. That was the thing with Bhuvi, because of Indian lack of bowling resources he was forced to bowl even in his poor form.

But I can guarantee you now this Bhuvi will be a big name in few years. Am usually right with my predictions about players. e.g. Hasan Ali, Fakhar Zaman, both are my agents.

P.S: I know a lot of people will now challenge me to a kabadi match because I insulted their Younis and few people think he is better than Yousuf. It is subjective and arguable.

Last edited:
Stats don't lie, they simply show what the player has achieved in his career with his skillset. 65 matches is a fairly big sample size and it should be enough to give you an indication about the capabilities of the player.

Average of 38.44 is pretty awful no matter which way you slice it. :usman

Back