Junaid Khan vs Bhuvneshwar Kumar

Junaid Khan vs Bhuvneshwar Kumar - The better ODI bowler?

Considering Amir and Hasan are way above Kumar's league, I thought of comparing him to Pakistan's 4th choice fast bowler.

Both are 27 and both have been playing since around the same time.

It shocks me how some cricket experts on Pakpassion rate Kumar so highly when he has massively inferior stats to a bowler who struggles to find a place in the Pakistan squad. Some posters make Bhuvi sound like he's some world class fast bowler among the likes of Rabada, Starc, Hasan and Amir when he's clearly a couple of leagues below that.

As can be seen from his stats, he barely manages to get wickets, especially in clusters and fans justify that by his ability to stop the flow of runs and be economical but just in his last game, he got plundered for 90 something runs and this isn't the first time. He's gone for over a hundred runs in the past.

In 66 ODI's, fewer than that of Kumar's, Khan has 97 wickets with an average of 28 whereas Bhuvi has 85 wickets in 78 matches at an astounding average of 37. THIRTY SEVEN. So much for being the class act that some people make him out to be..

With Junaid's higher pace, reverse swing and ability to take more wickets, I think he is clearly the superior bowler but I would like to know what you guys think? Discuss.

NOTE: This thread is primarily for ODI's considering Junaid is already established as the superior Test bowler.

Even in ODis I would take Junaid hands down. Maybe B Kumar in swinging conditions as he is the superior swinger of the ball but Junaid can bring out more of a dead wicket hence I would choose him. Overall though, Junaid is the better bowler and let's not forget he was making batsmen like Sanga looke like novices back in his prime days. Junaid is also the better death overs bowler and when he starts getting his yorkers right, he's frustrating to bat to.

Junaid's performance has been really under-rated so far. Yes he doesn't have an X factor, but his introduction basically changed the fortunes of the ODI team since the CT. His two overs in the CT final where he pinned Dhawan to the crease increased pressure on Kohli to go out of his way to score against a rampaging Muhammad Amir. Good new ball bowler.

even if we remove stats from this convo

Junaid bowled Pakistan to and ODI series win in India, and a first ever odi series win in SA.

I agree now his time is probably coming to an end. However, is underappreciated by Pak fans in general.

Junaid Khan still has a lot to offer Pakistan. He's an all-formats bowler and even if he isn't the first choice third pacer in any format, he's the #1 back-up option. I still rate him as our second-best new ball bowler in tests and ODIs.

Kumar is rubbish. His bowling is comparable to Faheem Ashraf's, in that both of them focus on keeping things tight but even Ashraf gets more wickets than the Indian.

Junaid > Kumar.

Last edited:
I think Junaid Khan should be tried in tests as he can bring more out of the dead wickets in the UAE and he got 5/32 and 3/50 in his last FC game.

I think Junaid Khan should be tried in tests as he can bring more out of the dead wickets in the UAE and he got 5/32 and 3/50 in his last FC game.

He won't be getting anything out of the dead UAE wickets if he bowls at 130kph.

The Junaid of old at least had some pace, this one doesn't even have that.

One FC game doesn't mean a lot when his recent record overall is very poor in FC cricket.

Junaid is the superior bowler in any format. Its quite telling when Pakistan's bench pacer is superior to the best India has to offer.

Junaid needs to regain his 140+ pace to be effective again. If he manages to do no Bhuvi Shuvi will be able to challenge him.

Also Junaid forms an excellent partnership with Amir with the new ball. He also allows Saifi the opportunity to attack in the middle overs alongside Hasan and preserve Amir for the death overs. That is why Junaid was the third highest wicket taker of the CT despite playing one less match.

Bhuvneshwar Kumar in ODI is highly overrated due to his ability to bowl yorkers in the final overs. His record even during the last one year when he has made a comeback to the ODI team is been mediocre. He does not pick up wickets and has an average of 33.28, even during his best period with the Indian team. Cannot believe we are keeping Mohammed Shami out of the ODI team who has 91 wickets in 50 matches at an average of 25.

lol at some posters who thinks junaid is superior to bhuvaneshwar kumar
Junaid plays in u.a.e where slow bowlers tends to take heap of wickets then also he is not at all automatic choice in any format whereas bhuvi is playing all his cricket in this batting decks where there is no seam or swing then also he somehow takes wickets while bowling upfront or at death
Bhuvi is miles ahead of Junaid handsdown

Junaid is the superior bowler in any format. Its quite telling when Pakistan's bench* pacer is superior to the best India has to offer.

*Injured, out of farm, discarded...

I got a feeling JK will come back again stronger.

I would never wish an injury to anyone but I don't see BK coming back from a career threatening injury the way JK is doing.

Stats aside: JK > BK

Tbh junaid should be given the next test series in UAE. He has taken 5fers there. Lets give him one more go in UAE where most other options have been underwhelming.

You know what both are Trundlers on a good batting pitch

Who is not a trundler on a good batting pitch? Maybe every decade 1 or 2 bowlers :steyn

They are doing fine job in this batting friendly era: variations etc.

But if we have to compare then JK>BK

Junaid started well and then only went down from there. Bhuvi's stocks have gone up.

Bhuvi is a better bowler overall.

junaid's stats are pretty good. He was very good for a year or so and then some injuries happened he went downhill he is still good but he should not play ahead of shaheen.As far as bhuvnash is concerned he is good in tests but rubbish in odis. I would definitely pick junaid ahead of him.

Junaid started well and then only went down from there. Bhuvi's stocks have gone up.

Bhuvi is a better bowler overall.

Junaid is much much better bowler than bhuvi in odis and what happen your stats phobia don.t apply their?

Junaid is much much better bowler than bhuvi in odis and what happen your stats phobia don.t apply their?

I can give you the stats but you won't like it.

Junaid has better ODI stats like you said. But BK walks all over Junaid when it comes to tests as well as T20s. Check for yourself if you don't believe me

That's why I said BK is a better bowler overall .

And btw, you have been using "phobia" wrong for the last 3 posts now. Do you even know what it means?

I can give you the stats but you won't like it.

Junaid has better ODI stats like you said. But BK walks all over Junaid when it comes to tests as well as T20s. Check for yourself if you don't believe me

That's why I said BK is a better bowler overall .

And btw, you have been using "phobia" wrong for the last 3 posts now. Do you even know what it means?

So you are that much desperate to prove bhuvi is better by inculding t20 stats lol.T20 is no bench mark to prove bowler quality .bhuvi is medicore odi bowler with 38 bowling average while junaid test bowling average 31 in test is still respectable that too playing more than half of those on dead uae pitches

Phobia meaning for you from google
phobia
ˈfəʊbɪə/
noun
an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.
"she suffered from a phobia about birds"
synonyms: abnormal fear, irrational fear, obsessive fear, fear, dread, horror, terror, dislike, hatred, loathing, detestation, distaste, aversion, antipathy, revulsion, repulsion; More

So you are that much desperate to prove bhuvi is better by inculding t20 stats lol.T20 is no bench mark to prove bowler quality .bhuvi is medicore odi bowler with 38 bowling average while junaid test bowling average 31 in test is still respectable that too playing more than half of those on dead uae pitches

Phobia meaning for you from google
phobia
ˈfəʊbɪə/
noun
an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.
"she suffered from a phobia about birds"
synonyms: abnormal fear, irrational fear, obsessive fear, fear, dread, horror, terror, dislike, hatred, loathing, detestation, distaste, aversion, antipathy, revulsion, repulsion; More

Why not use T20s? Is it not a format bowlers play in? Or is it because Junaid is a such a poor T20 bowler that you would like to avoid it? T20 avg of 30 and ER of almost 9.

But forget T20s. Let's focus on the purest form of cricket - test cricket.

Junaid's test average against non-minnows is 32 and Bhuvi's is 26. That's a big difference.

And lol like I said you have no idea what "phobia" means. You kept talking about my stats "phobia" even though I use stats all the time.

Why not use T20s? Is it not a format bowlers play in? Or is it because Junaid is a such a poor T20 bowler that you would like to avoid it? T20 avg of 30 and ER of almost 9.

But forget T20s. Let's focus on the purest form of cricket - test cricket.

Junaid's test average against non-minnows is 32 and Bhuvi's is 26. That's a big difference.

And lol like I said you have no idea what "phobia" means. You kept talking about my stats "phobia" even though I use stats all the time.

Because none of top ex cricketer and many top poster on this forum also don.t rate bilaterial t20 performances apart from worldt20.Also junaid have only played 9 t20 so that don.t make sense to compare to whom have played 20+ t20.

Cricket don.t start and end with test cricket .odi is as important as test so lets focus on both instead of test.

B.kumar overall odi average is 38 while junaid have 28 so it have 10 point different with junaid is way ahead while b.kumar test average is 26 while junaid 31 so only 5 point difference.

Let me rephrase i give you title because you use specific stats in every thread which can be misleading and also every body is upto date and knows the stats so it is not neccasary to used it every time

Junaid is better.

Our fans need to stop this blind love. Last 2 years Bhuvi is averaging 44+ in odis @5.45(approx), whereas Junaid 31+ and similar eco.

Tests, difference of 5 avg and, Junaid has played 75% of tests in Asia. Hasn't played a test in last 3 years, I reckon.

Junaid is better.

Our fans need to stop this blind love. Last 2 years Bhuvi is averaging 44+ in odis @5.45(approx), whereas Junaid 31+ and similar eco.

Tests, difference of 5 avg and, Junaid has played 75% of tests in Asia. Hasn't played a test in last 3 years, I reckon.

Yes Pakistani fans must stop this blind love. Bhuvi is a far better bowler in tests and T20s than Junaid Khan where as Junaid is the better ODI bowler.

Yes Pakistani fans must stop this blind love. Bhuvi is a far better bowler in tests and T20s than Junaid Khan where as Junaid is the better ODI bowler.

I wish this thread was about individual formats, I would have said Bhuvi best in tests, Junaid best in odis.(I wouldn't care about T20is).

Unfortunately, that's not the case. They've asked who is better "overall". So, I have my opinion. You can have yours tho. You can even say Binny is better than Junaid, you're welcome.

Back