Narrow escape for India [184/6] as they defeat Bangladesh [145/6] by 5 runs (DLS) in Group 2 clash

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The Overview:

Australia is a country of early risers. At the first sliver of light, the streets of the big cities are dotted with people getting in a quick workout before the work day or lining up behind counters at cafes to get their coffee 'to go'. Even on cloudy days, the likes of which this World Cup has seen quite a bit, the sun finds a way to beam over demanding that the day be seized.

India haven't exactly been the early risers of this World Cup. They arrive in South Australia with qualification hopes in control but very cognisant of the fact that one ball here instead of there against Pakistan and they'll have been in the exact same place as during last year's troubled campaign in the UAE. The South Africa game in Perth brought many little details of the team under the glare. Their stronger batting arm, although methodical and calculative, hasn't quite set the World Cup alight as promised. More worryingly, they're clutching at the last remaining strands of their fielding reputation, one that has been peeled away, layer by layer, over the course of this last year.

But with the qualification in sight, India must renew focus against a Bangladesh side they would seem too strong for, at least on paper. Rohit Sharma and Rahul Dravid will seek the most precise of performances and will have to ensure there are no straggly bits in selection, strategy or execution as another mis-step could derail their aspirations. They'll know that in World Cups, just like in life, you can't win every battle, but you can try and win the important ones. And Wednesday's game qualifies as one.

Which brings us to their opponents on the day. Bangladesh are a T20 team in transition and flux with a reluctant captain at the helm. And as much as he tries to underplay his own team's chances, they are tied on points with India and very much in the race despite their poor run-rate. Seven years ago in another World Cup, it was in Adelaide that cricket's late risers finally revealed what they were capable of when fully awake. Shakib al Hasan, Taskin Ahmed and Soumya Sarkar are the only surviving members from that day and they'll hope Wednesday turns out to be a similarly seminal day in their T20 journey.

When: India vs Bangladesh, ICC men's T20 World Cup 2022, November 2, 18:30 Local, 13:30 IST

Where: Adelaide Oval

What to expect: The weather in Adelaide has turned around rather dramatically. After a bright and sunny start to the weekend, it's gotten dark, chilly and the streets are sodden. Short showers are predicted to hit around 7 PM local time but the game is unlikely to be washed out. This will be Adelaide's first game at this World Cup and the venue will present a slightly different challenge with its long straight boundaries and spinners coming into the play with more freedom to pitch the ball up. The average first innings score here in the BBL since the 2019-20 season is 164 with teams batting first winning 16 compared to 9 wins for chasing teams.

T20I Head to Head: India 10 - 1 Bangladesh. India have also won in each of the three T20 World Cup encounters, the last a dramatic one-run win in Bengaluru in 2016

Team Watch:

India

Injured/Unavailable: Dinesh Karthik walked off the field with a suspected lower-back injury in the game against South Africa. He batted in Adelaide's indoor nets on the eve of the match and was also put through a 'keeping drill. Dravid said a call on him would be taken based on how he pulls up on the morning of the match. If not fully fit, India have a straight swap available in Rishabh Pant.

India also made the tactical move of playing Deepak Hooda instead of Axar Patel, a batting all-rounder for a bowling all-rounder in bowler-friendly conditions. They might want to retain him with Bangladesh playing four lefties in their top-six.

Tactics & Matchups:

Ravichandran Ashwin didn't have the best of games against South Africa on a surface that wasn't suited to his craft. He should find the Adelaide Oval surface more to his liking. He holds a strong advantage against Shakib, having dismissed the Bangladesh skipper twice in nine balls bowled to him.

Bangladesh also struggle against wrist spin (54 wickets at 6.85 ER since 2021) and don't play enough of that variety in domestic cricket. India will have to go a batter short if they are to play Chahal in the XI.

Probable XI: Rohit Sharma (c), KL Rahul, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Deepak Hooda, Rishabh Pant/Dinesh Karthik (wk), Ravichandran Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Arshdeep Singh

Bangladesh

Injured/Unavailable: Bangladesh have a clean bill of health to report and all 15 are available for selection.

Tactics & Matchups: Shakib has a very parsimonious record in T20Is against both Kohli and Rohit, with the two star batters going only at 82.61 and 100 SRs respectively. Mustafizur Rahman has been expensive (SR 168.29) while facing Rohit but has also dismissed the Indian captain twice.

Bangladesh are concerned about Nurul Hasan's form behind the stumps. That and Soumya Sarkar's lean run could force them to tweak things around slightly. Litton could don the gloves and move up the order with Sarkar playing in the lower-order. Ebadot Hossain could be an extra seamer under the prevalent overcast conditions. Shakib chose to play his cards close to his chest and said there were several possibilities available to him.

Probable XI: Najmul Hossain Shanto, Soumya Sarkar, Litton Das, Shakib al Hasan (c), Afif Hossain, Mosaddek Hossain, Nurul Hasan (wk), Yasir Ali, Mustafizur Rahman, Hasan Mahmud, Taskin Ahmed

Did you know?

- Virat Kohli has scored five hundreds (across formats) at the Adelaide Oval. It's the most he's scored in a single ground

- With 8 wickets from three games, Taskin Ahmed is the leading wicket-taker of the Super 12 phase. Arshdeep Singh has 7.

- India's PowerPlay Economy Rate of 4.61 is the best for a side in Super 12.

What they said:

"It is tough for someone for [someone like] DK to assess how he has gone about. Didn't get to play many games. He got one ball against Pakistan at thet back end... didn't bat against Netherlands. Thought he was building up a pretty good partnership with Surya at that stage. We needed that little bit of partnership just to get stabilized, and it just was set up for him, but again, that's the nature of this game. You play that high-risk shot and you can get out on that shot, which is why people need to be supported and backed as much as we possibly can in these formats, especially in positions like DK's at 5 and 6, you don't get enough balls and then when you have to go in, you have to really deliver high-risk shots without having much time to settle in." - Dinesh Karthik has the full support of Rahul Dravid and the team management.

"India are the favourites. They've come here to win the World Cup. We're not favourite and we didn't come here to win the World Cup. You can understand the situation. We know it very well, if we win against India, it'll be called an upset. We'll try to play our best cricket and try to make an upset." - Shakib Al Hasan dials down the pressure on his side ahead of the encounter.

Squads:

Bangladesh Squad: Najmul Hossain Shanto, Soumya Sarkar, Litton Das, Shakib Al Hasan(c), Afif Hossain, Mosaddek Hossain, Nurul Hasan(w), Yasir Ali, Mustafizur Rahman, Hasan Mahmud, Taskin Ahmed, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Ebadot Hossain, Shoriful Islam, Nasum Ahmed

India Squad: KL Rahul, Rohit Sharma(c), Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Deepak Hooda, Dinesh Karthik(w), Ravichandran Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Arshdeep Singh, Rishabh Pant, Axar Patel, Harshal Patel, Yuzvendra Chahal

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Last edited:
Bismillah.

Bangladesh will have to play their best to win this. Highly unlikely due to recent records, but anything is possible in t20s. InshAllah.

Soumya Sarkar, Liton Dad need to bat at their A game. Sarkar needs to explode for ones in his life in at a ICC tournament. BD bat well get 170+ then there’s mauka mauka.

Realised that even if this match is rained off, that's not good for Pakistan as India will just need a win against Zimbabwe to get to 7 points... Ultimately need Bangladesh to beat India for Pakistan to have any chance to go thru to the semis...

India will be looking to bounce back from their disappointing loss to South Africa when they take on Bangladesh in their Super 12 encounter of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup in Adelaide on Tuesday.

Rohit Sharma's men got off to an excellent start, beating Pakistan and Netherlands in their first two matches. But they were outplayed in their last match against South Africa, despite Suryakumar Yadav's best efforts to rescue them with a very special knock.

The top-order collapsed in a similar way as it did against Pakistan. While Virat Kohli and Hardik Pandya rescued them and helped India win that match, Yadav didn't find any support from the other end this time to get them to a competitive total.

The bowlers tried their best to make the most of the total they had to defend but the fielding made the job tougher for them, as simple catches were dropped and run outs were missed from only a few inches away. Even senior players like Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma missed great chances to put South Africa under pressure, and they will be eager to set a better precedent for their team in this upcoming contest against Bangladesh.

There is no denying the fact that India are a quality team, with a great mix of youth and experience, but things will get tricky for them if they end up botching this match against Bangladesh as well. India are second in Group 2 in terms of NRR at the moment and another win here will strengthen their chances of securing a semi-final berth. But a loss here will land them in grave danger of elimination. So, Rohit Sharma and his men need to pull their socks up and perform to their potential in this match.

Bangladesh, on the other hand, are sitting in third place in Group 2 with four points, the same as India. But their massive loss against South Africa has dealt a big blow to their NRR and now they need to ensure victories in both of their remaining matches to stand a chance of securing a semi-final berth.

They have won two matches so far but the victories haven't really looked convincing. The Tigers have won close contests against both Netherlands and Zimbabwe, with their bowlers doing the heavy lifting in both games. The batting unit hasn't been able to go past 150 in any match so far but a disciplined bowling effort has helped them in securing two victories by tight margins.

But the Bangladeshi batters will need to be at the top of their game if they want to give themselves a chance of winning against a side like India. A complete all-round effort is what they need to take a giant like India down and that's exactly what they will be looking to deliver.

Predicted Playing XIs

India

Rohit Sharma (c), KL Rahul, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Deepak Hooda, Hardik Pandya, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Ravichandran Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Arshdeep Singh

Bangladesh

Najmul Hossain Shanto, Soumya Sarkar, Litton Das, Shakib Al Hasan (c), Afif Hossain, Yasir Ali, Mosaddek Hossain, Nurul Hasan (wk), Mustafizur Rahman, Hasan Mahmud, Taskin Ahmed

Key Players

Suryakumar Yadav: The middle-order batter has been in excellent form in this format ever since his debut last year. He has scores of 51* and 68 in the last two matches, and India will be backing him to deliver in this contest once again. Overall, Yadav has amassed 1179 T20I runs at an excellent average of 40.66 and a sensational strike rate of 177.03.

Taskin Ahmed: The pacer has played a key role in both of Bangladesh's victories in this tournament. Ahmed claimed figures of 4/25 and 3/19 against Netherlands and Zimbabwe respectively, and he will have a key role to play against India once again.

ICC

Bangladesh too will be hopeful of qualifying for the semi's. With the match not being a dead rubber for them it's the only hope for Pak. Bangla need to bat first and get a big score putting Indian batsmen under pressure. If not I feel India may just bat them out of this one by scoring near 200.

I hope the game goes ahead and Bangladesh win against India and Pakistan beat South Africa so that the game goes to the last fixtures.

C'mon Bangladesh

You guys are basically Pakistan so basically you're India so it's India vs India and India can win this one

Evening game

Bhuvi and Arshdeep will be a real challange under lights

Yup. It should be tough.

Condition should help Taskin too. But, can he take advantage of the condition? He bottled it against South Africa.

I see India destroying Bangladesh tomorrow. Literally this isn’t even a contest to say the least. Gulf in class even without their star bowler. Best bet and the 5 % Bangladesh do have to even come close to winning is to chase if given the chance.

Adelaide pitch doesn't have much for the bowlers. Bangladesh needs to bat first and put up a big score. They can only beat India if India is put under pressure while chasing from ball 1. India batting first will likely be game over for Bangla.

Adelaide pitch doesn't have much for the bowlers. Bangladesh needs to bat first and put up a big score. They can only beat India if India is put under pressure while chasing from ball 1. India batting first will likely be game over for Bangla.

This is the same ground where BD beat England in 2015 World Cup.

Big score on the board is key.

My friend who lives in Adelaide told me it’s raining incessantly…teams have to share the points….advantage Pakistan

Shakib literally said “India is here to win the WCup, we are not”

That doesn’t sound great at all if we’re wanting BD to win :sree

India should go with below XI :

Rohit
Rahul
Kohli
SKY
Pant(wkt)
Pandya
Axar
Ashwin( because BD has lot of lefties)
Bhuvi
Shami
Arshdeep

My friend who lives in Adelaide told me it’s raining incessantly…teams have to share the points….advantage Pakistan

how advantage pakistan when india have yet to play zimbabwe ?

If Bangladesh can win against India mean they will definitely win against us. There is no much class difference between Zimbabwe/ Bangladesh/Pakistan.

What will be the fans reaction if the same team played based on coach statement and backing😂😂😂

Shakib breaking all of bd's heart and Pakistan's aswell with his not here to win the world Cup statement lol.

How did that work out against Miller?

Ashwin shouldn't play t20is anymore.

Just play Axar and 4 seamers.

Axar? lol Guy who gave 3 sixes in one over.? He did the same against South Africa. Ashwin already created a chance that Kohli grassed.

Axar? lol Guy who gave 3 sixes in one over.? He did the same against South Africa. Ashwin already created a chance that Kohli grassed.
Batsman can get chances doesn't mean you can get smoked for 45 runs.
Phillips also got chances, still England won.

Ashwin was bowling slot balls in that over and he hasn't done anything of note in this world cup or lois(since 2017) for that matter

Batsman can get chances doesn't mean you can get smoked for 45 runs.
Phillips also got chances, still England won.

Ashwin was bowling slot balls in that over and he hasn't done anything of note in this world cup or lois(since 2017) for that matter

Problem is your other choice who doesn't anything but darting. He got canned in India as well. You might as well play another seamer if not Ashwin. Besides in Australian conditions Ash is a far better batsman than Axar.

At best this would be a nervy win for Indian chokers. And i hate to think about the worst.

It is advantage only if India doesn't beat Zimbabwe. Pakistan at the most can get 6 points. India can get 7 even after wash out by beating zimbabwe. Same way SA will get 7 even after losing to Pakistan by beating Netherlands. Best case scenario for Pakistan is BD beating India.

"We completely back him. We have no concerns about him. We know that when he gets going, and I've seen it against Australia, against a top-class attack just a couple of weeks ago, I know the impact this guy can make. In Rohit's and my mind, there's absolutely no doubt about who's going to open for us."

Dravid on Rahul

I feared Dravid would speak objectively. But Dravid as a tactician keeps on unravelling.

"We completely back him. We have no concerns about him. We know that when he gets going, and I've seen it against Australia, against a top-class attack just a couple of weeks ago, I know the impact this guy can make. In Rohit's and my mind, there's absolutely no doubt about who's going to open for us."

Dravid on Rahul

I feared Dravid would speak objectively. But Dravid as a tactician keeps on unravelling.

At worst 2 more matches for India At best 4 more matches for India. Let us bite the bullet and wait until this is over.if they stand vindicated good for him and fans. If not they better be ready for wrath of fans.

If netherlands wins, this match will decide the faith of Pakistan team, and I dont know if I can watch this match or not

I think we need to be careful against Taskin Ahmed who is in great form. Though his action is suspect but has got pace and in overcast conditions like this he can trouble our openers.

There is another tall left arm seamer (forgot his name) in their team whom we need to be careful as well. He is the type of bowler who can be very dangerous in these conditions.

If we win the toss, we should simply bat first and aim for 175. Then the game will be ours.

If we chase, we should aim to restrict them below 150.

My playing XI today:

Pant (wk)
Rohit (c)
Virat
Rahul
SKY
Pandya
Axar
Ashwin
Shami
Bhuvi
Arshdeep

Big test for Rohit Sharma and I am sure his lack of form hurting him. He reminds of Bhallaldev from the movie Bahubali. Even though he is the captain, all the accolades and admiration is taken by Bahubali Kohli. I hope it hurts Sharma's ego and he brings his A game against tigers.

This is also the last chance for KL Rahul. If he fails this game, noise will be loud to replace him from Zimbabwe game onwards. I am a huge admirer of KLs talent but he is not able to justify it in big stage. Something need to change.

Adelaide is Kohli's dream stadium where he rarely fails. It is the same ground where he scored his debut test century in 2012, centuries in both innings in 2014 which was his debut game as captain, WC 2015 centurt against Pak and 90* in the only T20 he played here against Australia. If Bangladesh don't get him out early, then game over for them.

Last but not the least, I want India to win but Liton Das - Sowmya Sarkar to score runs so that their avg dont get affected :p

If Bangladesh wins, it would be hilarious :)) would make things so exciting.

I really hate Sikander Raza. Guy seems to have developed an ego, funny thing is his stats are still bad.

If netherlands wins, this match will decide the faith of Pakistan team, and I dont know if I can watch this match or not

Not really. If Netherlands win it will actually open up an extra lifeline for Pakistan. Zimbabwe could then beat India without being able to leapfrog Pakistan. We can always hope your mate Raza manages to pull another rabbit out of the hat on Sunday.

Not really. If Netherlands win it will actually open up an extra lifeline for Pakistan. Zimbabwe could then beat India without being able to leapfrog Pakistan. We can always hope your mate Raza manages to pull another rabbit out of the hat on Sunday.

This game is more crucial. India can easily beat Zimbabwe as its a pathetic team. India might aswell beat Bangladesh aswell. THe thing is if India beats Bangladesh, they would know how much margin they would need to get against Zimbabwe even if they were gonna lose to them..

Becuase India beating Bangaldesh means they get 6 points, now India vs Zimbabwe is after Pakistan is done with all games, so India would know what margins in needs to achieve to reach semis, and they would first acheive those margins than win

This game is more crucial. India can easily beat Zimbabwe as its a pathetic team. India might aswell beat Bangladesh aswell. THe thing is if India beats Bangladesh, they would know how much margin they would need to get against Zimbabwe even if they were gonna lose to them..

Becuase India beating Bangaldesh means they get 6 points, now India vs Zimbabwe is after Pakistan is done with all games, so India would know what margins in needs to achieve to reach semis, and they would first acheive those margins than win

For sure, just saying this game alone won’t 100% decide the faith of Pakistan. Pak will for example be through by winning both games if SA-Ned is washed out or if Ned manage to win (regardless of the result tonight). There is some rivalry between those two teams and SA are notorious chokers so don’t rule it out totally.

But obviously a Bangla win tonight would be massive.

For sure, just saying this game alone won’t 100% decide the faith of Pakistan. Pak will for example be through by winning both games if SA-Ned is washed out or if Ned manage to win (regardless of the result tonight). There is some rivalry between those two teams and SA are notorious chokers so don’t rule it out totally.

But obviously a Bangla win tonight would be massive.

bro you sure that no. of wins come into play and not nrr ? I am not so sure about that. Jaldi batao, so that i start doing the rain dance and pray

bro you sure that no. of wins come into play and not nrr ? I am not so sure about that. Jaldi batao, so that i start doing the rain dance and pray

Start the rain dance already. It wouldn’t be an ICC tournament without rain ruining SA. Even the Champions Trophy 2017 Pakistan were struggling a bit in the chase and rain interrupted at the perfect time :ha

Yes no. Of win count before runrate so if ned vs South Africa game washout and Pakistan win last 2 game then Pakistan will qualify for semi .

There is a 95% chance of match ending with BCCICC saazish cries from Eastern neighbors. :shakib:

Bangladesh won the toss and Bowl first
Indian powerplay score prediction
35/2

Bangladesh have won the toss and have opted to field

Teams:

Bangladesh (Playing XI): Najmul Hossain Shanto, Litton Das, Shakib Al Hasan(c), Afif Hossain, Yasir Ali, Mosaddek Hossain, Shoriful Islam, Nurul Hasan(w), Mustafizur Rahman, Hasan Mahmud, Taskin Ahmed

India (Playing XI): KL Rahul, Rohit Sharma(c), Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Dinesh Karthik(w), Axar Patel, Ravichandran Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Arshdeep Singh

Rohit Sharma:We would have batted first. Runs on the board would matter. We would look to bat well. All games are important in this format. We didn't play well in the last game. Hopefully, we can play some good cricket and get those two points. Good ground and good atmosphere here. Good weather as well. We have one change. Axar is in for Hooda.

Shakib: We will bowl first. We don't know what is a good score on this wicket. Big game. We are well prepared today. Boys are gelling well. We have been playing with this side for some time. We need to continue doing the good things. We can continue working on our batting. One change. Sarkar is not playing. Shariful Islam comes in.

Current point table:

OElns9K.png

The conditions are more headingley than bombay. Pitch is green, overcast and lights are on. Taskeen and fizza are good bowlers and the conditions will give them more help. I'd say block them , minimize early damage and take it safe in PP. Bash the remaining overs no matter who is ON.

I really hate Sikander Raza. Guy seems to have developed an ego, funny thing is his stats are still bad.

He thinks he is Zimbabwe ka Mohammed Hafeez and is blessed to be very good in all three facets of the game. :inti

I agree with BD playing 4 pacers, but not sure if dropping Soumya was the right move. He hit an insane flick for 6 that I thought was shot of the tournament. If he hits em like that he could’ve been a handful.

Bangladesh must be happy having won the toss.

Chasing against India is their best chance really.

Its really sickening to see losers like DK and Rahul are still being played.

What has he done to get selected in this team at this stage of the world cup? He didn't even score in practice matches lol. :inti

What was dk done in his entire career. After all he is playing from past 20 year .?? What about mental midget aka Kela ? How many runs he scored and today he is most likely to failed inside 2 over

Why did Bangla not bat first having won the toss?

Is team management blind to this liability of an opener? KL has exceeded the chances he deserves by a big margin.

4 dot ,not even try to play any shots .this is what 140 cr. people's deserve? Really pathetic mentality player in the team and more pathetic are those fans who support these cowards

More sickening will be them scoring and cementing place only to flop later.
Both Dravid & Rohit are dumb beyond belief.

Or may be DK & Rahul have something about them which we don't know yet.

Every time we are playing 18 overs match.
Our openers need need first two overs practice.

Rubbish cricket.

They are simply putting pressure on next batsmen.

Looks like we don't even want to win this whole thing. First the pathetic squad they chose and the XIs they are choosing for each game.

Back