New Zealand vs Bangladesh | 1st Test | Dunedin | 04/01/08

Mohsin

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Bangladesh: Tamim Iqbal, Junaid Siddique, Habibul Bashar, Mohammad Ashraful*, Shahriar Nafees, Aftab Ahmed, Mushfiqur Rahim+, Mashrafe Mortaza, Shahadat Hossain, Sajidul Islam, Enamul Haque jnr

New Zealand: MD Bell, CD Cumming, PG Fulton, SP Fleming, MS Sinclair, JDP Oram, BB McCullum+, DL Vettori*, KD Mills, CS Martin, IE O'Brien

Umpires NJ Llong (England) and PD Parker (Australia)
TV umpire AL Hill
Match referee BC Broad (England)
Reserve umpire RD Anderson

New Zealand won the toss and elected to field first

Bangladesh off to a shaky start, lose Siddique early, but run-rate not bad: 31/1 (6.0 ov)

Bashar looks very good, has hit a couple of 6's, Tamim on the other hand mostly playing and missing

Bangla likely to get whooped in space of 3/4 days as per usual here!

43 for 2 from 9 overs.

Someone tell these guys its a 5 day match not a one day match.

lol Saj i don't think they're listening. First ball after the wicket Tamim hits another 4!

Saj said:
43 for 2 from 9 overs.

Someone tell these guys its a 5 day match not a one day match.

Bangla will be all out probably for 180 off about 40 overs...

Really no sense with some off these batsmen!

PlanetPakistan said:
errr....same old mistakes!

Where is M Rafique?

They didn't even include him in the squad! Thought Eminul Haque was a better option..

Ashraful gone first ball!!!!!!!!
duke.jpg

Ashraful is the Bangladeshi batting version of afridi!

Nafees batting at 5?

Hes an opening batsmen!

Tamim will lose his rag soon and his wicket i cant see him blocking! Bangla just dealing in 4s and wickets!

Well say what you may, but everything's happened in the first hour, runs, wickets, 4's, 6's, 2 in 2!

To be fair on Ashraful, he played some quality innings against Sri Lanka, so I expect him to fire sometime in this series.

He's too talented not to get a big score.

Easa said:
To be fair on Ashraful, he played some quality innings against Sri Lanka, so I expect him to fire sometime in this series.

He's too talented not to get a big score.

talent is an overused word.

he'll hit a couple of 4s and sixes and than perish as usual.

infamous9383 said:
talent is an overused word.

he'll hit a couple of 4s and sixes and than perish as usual.

only if you're looking at a scorecard.

this guy has the tools to be the next great...or even the greatest.

its a matter of him getting his head on straight.

Ashrafuls batting average before this test was 25, which is woeful.

I wouldnt call him talented, rather unpredictable and dangerous.

Saj said:

saj bhai, I have seen enough of him to realize that he is very, very talented

Talent does not always translate into results, a low average doesn't mean he can't perform at the highest level.

Saj said:

he is unpredictable and he is dangerous...but not many guys come at 17 and are the sole hope of the batting lineup. and coming from the non-existant cricket culture we have.

i'll be willing to lay down the following wager:

in 5 years time, ash will push his career average past 30 and his 2008-2013 average around 40 (37+)

Easa said:
saj bhai, I have seen enough of him to realize that he is very, very talented

Talent does not always translate into results, a low average doesn't mean he can't perform at the highest level.

there is a difference between talented and accomplished. everyone agrees to his limitless talent.

not many feel that he will ever be accomplished tho...i am one of the few, the pround.

88/4

Like I said Bangladesh don't have the attention span to play test matches! All of them come out playing shots like they are all Afridi's, its either miss or hit kinda thing in my opinion! There is no use to play like this!

NZ largely have worst bowling attack among test playing nations esp. without bond, if he can't do it against them, than god knows when will he showcase his real talent.

mmkextreme_1 said:
88/4

Like I said Bangladesh don't have the attention span to play test matches! All of them come out playing shots like they are all Afridi's, its either miss or hit kinda thing in my opinion! There is no use to play like this!

:))) :))) :))) :))) :)))

infamous9383 said:
NZ largely have worst bowling attack among test playing nations esp. without bond, if he can't do it against them, than god knows when will he showcase his real talent.

3 of ash's 4 centuries have come against sri lanka, the other against india.

unless you count murali, vaas, malinga, fernando, kumble, bhajji, and zaheer as crappier bowlers than the NZ lot, he's dominated better attacks...to the count of 158*, 136, 129*, and 114

Bangla Tiger said:
3 of ash's 4 centuries have come against sri lanka, the other against india.

unless you count murali, vaas, malinga, fernando, kumble, bhajji, and zaheer as crappier bowlers than the NZ lot, he's dominated better attacks...to the count of 158*, 136, 129*, and 114

depends on the condition as well. Add to that he plays spin quiet well thats why he has done well against srilanka and india

To say Ashraful is not talented is like saying Lara wasn't a great batsman, Warne wasn't a great bowler.

nz 156/4, if they get up to 300 match will be over in 3 days time.

Like I said, talent is an overused word. Everyone at the international level has "talent" and what you do with that talent shows your really ability as a cricket.

Ashraful wouldn't make it to any other test sides XI.

infamous9383 said:
nz 156/4, if they get up to 300 match will be over in 3 days time.

Like I said, talent is an overused word. Everyone at the international level has "talent" and what you do with that talent shows your really ability as a cricket.

Ashraful wouldn't make it to any other test sides XI.
so, whats your point?

you started off by saying, "talent is an overused word", implying that Ashraful doesn't really have talent. What we are trying to stress here is that he has heaps of talent, more so than an average international batsman. He has played some quality knocks in the past and is easily the best batsman in this hapless Bangladeshi team.

My two cents:
1) Habibul Bashar (former captain) scored 23 of 22 balls. 2 sixes were top edge over the third man's head (very very lucky). He could have been out on any of those balls. Yes, he is the only batsman in BD lineup to have a 30+ average in test. But he is there only to get a milestone for BD. He is short of 24 runs to get to 3k (test). My assumption would be this is his last series.

2) In test, taking singles are harder than hitting fours. Specially when you have boys who are mostly accustomed to play 20/20 or 50/50. On top of that the new coach wants them to punish the bad balls. Having the green light they play shots. Tamim was dropped on 37. Other than that his innings was good 53 on a debut. Can't ask for more from a 18/19 year old. Very recently he was touring with the U-19 team in Pakistan.

3) Ashraful: 80% not out 20% out. I still fault him for not offering the shot. Talent means very little to me unless the player shows the application in the field. He is maturing fast. One man can not lift the team day in day out. Not in cricket.

4) Selection of Aftab: This boy should be selected only for 20/20 matches. You get my point.

5) We need a taller WKeeper.

About the match: not withstanding 50 overs on a test match is a crime. The coach is getting to know the boys. Hopefully he will have his correct team before SA visits BD. Bowlingwise, with the limitation they had (Rasel injured, Mash not 100%), I think they did an excellent job. Fielding wise room for improvement. behind the stumps mainly.

This match will definitely end on the 3rd day unless rain relays the inevitable. Innings defeat is on the cards.

Easa said:
so, whats your point?

you started off by saying, "talent is an overused word", implying that Ashraful doesn't really have talent. What we are trying to stress here is that he has heaps of talent, more so than an average international batsman. He has played some quality knocks in the past and is easily the best batsman in this hapless Bangladeshi team.

OK he has talent, afridi has talent, Imran Nazir has talent, Mohammad Sami has talent, Humyun Farhat has talent, Aftab Ahmed has talent.

There are lots of others who have talent but its used an excuse to hide their performances.

infamous9383 said:
OK he has talent, afridi has talent, Imran Nazir has talent, Mohammad Sami has talent, Humyun Farhat has talent, Aftab Ahmed has talent.

There are lots of others who have talent but its used an excuse to hide their performances.
All I am saying is that he is very talented; way more so than Nazir, Farhat, Sami etc. He could really be a gem for Bangladesh as long as he gets more consistent. He has all the shots, his defensive technique is pretty decent, and he has done it at the highest level. Now he has matured, its time for consistent scores as he is the person the team revolves around.

I'm a big fan.

Easa said:
All I am saying is that he is very talented; way more so than Nazir, Farhat, Sami etc. He could really be a gem for Bangladesh as long as he gets more consistent. He has all the shots, his defensive technique is pretty decent, and he has done it at the highest level. Now he has matured, its time for consistent scores as he is the person the team revolves around.

I'm a big fan.

point taken your his fan

I can't see consistency from because you mentioned he has all the shots and he plays way too many shots for a test match. He is in the same mould as afridi although afridi has sometimes shown that he can curb his natural instinct. If he is to be a good test player, than he must learn to be patient.

Mohsin_Pak786 said:
They didn't even include him in the squad! Thought Eminul Haque was a better option..
Thats strange.
What about Javed Umar and Shakib ul Hasan? J Umar in particular had the patience to stick around for a while..poor man's M Atherton.

infamous9383 said:
point taken your his fan

I can't see consistency from because you mentioned he has all the shots and he plays way too many shots for a test match. He is in the same mould as afridi although afridi has sometimes shown that he can curb his natural instinct. If he is to be a good test player, than he must learn to be patient.
Quite right(applies to ODI cricket as well).

Even in our friendly sunday cricket there are quite a few players who have the ability to hit a lot more boundaries than me. I don't think i have even hit 1 six in the last 6 months of cricket yet in terms of batting averages i am certainly ahead of those "talented" players and believe it or not even in terms of SR i am ahead.

PlanetPakistan said:
we have been hearing that for the last seven years :(
lol they have improved a lot.And will be threat to india-pakistan(in 20-20 :p ).Have u seen some of their bowlers?Better than some of our bowlers. :( Give them time.

in ash's defense:

NZ were looking to score 400+ when ash took 2 quick wickets...then his captaincy limited the rest to 357.

now we're 35-0...i fully expect to avoid the innings defeat - which is my goal going into a test match. with the attacking cricket played nowadays, its virtually impossible to draw matches. even top sides hardly draw anymore, and not because they're crap. so the fact that BD will lose is not the issue: we will lose.

its about cutting our losses and trying to learn so that we can eventually stop losing.

i expect ash to pick up the slack. i assume that we'll all be alive in 5 years time, Allah willing, we can see then if he has remained where he is now or has improved to be a decent quality international batsman.

finally some decent shows...been waiting all tour for this.

NZ will win this in the end, i just want us to make em sweat for it...sweat harder than they thought they'd have to after mccullum's blitz.

that would a win for me.

What a start here! 131/0! Still 92 behind how. Valiant effort, regardless.

Really proud of Bangla on this one. 148/0 on a scorecard looks brilliant. If they had only scored 200 in the first innings, they still might have had a good chance. Now they just have to bat out of their minds! I mean, they are still behind by 72, and would need at least another 225 after that. But who knows?

Great day for Bangladesh team.....they got 6 Kiwi wickets and 148/0. Both debutante openers Tamim Iqbal and Zunaed Siddique got their half-century and now looking for glory- century in first test!! :)

Tamim is one to watch for the future. Only 18 years old! inshallah his development is smoother than Ashraful's was.

Man it was a great batting performance there from the Bangladeshi openers lets hope the team can make use of this brilliant platform!!

Nice to see a comeback from the Bengalis.

They are still in a mess though, but who knows another decent batting performance today and anything is possible.

Excellent partnership by the Bangladeshi openers, lets hope they carry on today (but knowing the Bangladeshi cricket team they still may find a way to lose by an innings!)

They are only 72 runs behind now so if they 1 or 2 good partnership then they will be right back in it!

Go Bangladesh!!

like i (and Easa) said: talent is there.

what to do with it, however remains as elusive as ever, and while this opening stand is a revelation for us, and i expect slow gradual improvements, i don't think the overall picture will change for us in the near future.

but then again it took india and new zealand a couple of decades and 3 generations of test cricketers to win theif first match.

typical Bangladesh story not being ever to able to put an convincing batting performance together. they don't have the patinence to be anywhere near a decent test team.

161-0 to 254 is really patheic

lets just hope they can build on the 161-0 part for the 2nd tests and not on the subsequent 93-9...

patience is all they need...

Back