Pakistan (306/5) defeat West Indies (305/8) by 5 wickets in the 1st ODI

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The ICC Cricket World Cup Super League series between these two sides will mark the return of international cricket in Multan – ending a long 14-year wait – having last hosted Bangladesh in April 2008.

The series was rescheduled from December 2021, due to a Covid-19 outbreak in the West Indies team, to June this year. Crucial CWCSL points will be up for grabs as both teams lock horns in the three-match contest, starting June 8.

West Indies are returning from Netherlands, where they swept a three-match ODI series 3-0. Currently, they are sitting in fourth spot on the CWCSL standings with 80 points from 18 games, while Pakistan are 10th with 60 points from 12 ODIs.

Pakistan will go into the series with a positive mindset, having won their last ODI contest, against Australia, by a 2-1 margin at home in March-April. The side will be bolstered by the return of Shadab Khan, who missed that series due to an injury.

Imam-ul-Haq (298 runs) and Babar Azam (276 runs) were the top run-getters, averaging 149 and 138 respectively. Meanwhile, their pacers were impressive with the ball, an attack that was led by Shaheen Shah Afridi.

In the West Indies camp, Nicholas Pooran's side saw some strong performances from their top three batters against Netherlands. Shai Hope, Shamarh Brooks and Kyle Mayers struck centuries while Brandon King made an important 91. Their bowlers combined collectively throughout the series.

However, Pooran, who recorded scores of 7, 10 and 7 in the three ODIs will look for a strong comeback against Babar's side.

One of the biggest challenges for both teams will be dealing with the heat. Temperatures are expected to hover around the high 40s, hence all matches will begin at 4 pm local time to tackle the stifling conditions.

Remember the last time

The last time the two teams locked horns in a bilateral affair for 50-over internationals was in September 2016 when Pakistan hosted West Indies in the UAE for a three-match series. Pakistan were dominant as they put up big targets in excess of 300 twice and 285 in the first ODI.

Babar emerged as the breakout star and was adjudged Player of the Series for registering sensational scores of 120 (his first ODI century), 123 and 117 in three matches. He became the third Pakistan batter to score three consecutive centuries in men's ODIs and eighth overall.

What they said

Pakistan captain Babar Azam: "This is an important series for us as it holds important Super League points. The players have been putting in a lot of effort to prepare themselves for the West Indies challenge and we are eager to win another series and bag maximum points to consolidate our chances for direct qualification in the 2023 World Cup."

West Indies head coach Phil Simmons: "The heat is going to be extreme, (but) Pakistan are playing in the heat, too, so it's going to be an even contest when we start the day. How we deal with it before, during and after is going to help us a lot."

Squads:

Pakistan: Babar Azam (c), Shadab Khan, Abdullah Shafique, Fakhar Zaman, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali, Iftikhar Ahmed, Imam-ul-Haq, Khushdil Shah, Mohammad Haris, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan, Mohammad Wasim, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shahnawaz Dahani, Zahid Mahmood

West Indies: Nicholas Pooran (c), Shai Hope, Nkrumah Bonner, Shamarh Brooks, Keacy Carty, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Brandon King, Shermon Lewis, Kyle Mayers, Keemo Paul, Anderson Phillip, Rovman Powell, Jayden Seales, Romario Shepherd, Hayden Walsh Jr

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2641224

==

ll posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it

Just hope Hasan Ali doesn't play first 2 matches. We can only afford to loose 1 match (preferably 3rd one).

I have a very bad feeling about this series because of the pressure of qualifying for the world cup. I actually thing we might lose it

Pakistan need to play well this series and look to win it 3-0.

I have a very bad feeling about this series because of the pressure of qualifying for the world cup. I actually thing we might lose it

Exactly!!! Since Saqlain hasn't any clue about our players' strength and will be silent whoever babar selects.

i seriously hope we dont play Hassan Ali in this team

Dahani should have been the prefered option ...

Nawaz and Shadab should both play .....

i seriously hope we dont play Hassan Ali in this team

Dahani should have been the prefered option ...

Nawaz and Shadab should both play .....

Depends on Babar. Saqlain seems like worse than Misbah to be a puppet on a string coach. And he likes that as long as PCB pays him wages.

West Indies have won the toss and have opted to bat

Mohammad Haris handed an ODI debut.

1.jpg

As predicted Hasan Ali is playing. This guy might cost us this series.

Seriously Hasan Ali? Again! What's wrong with babar!
Good to see Mohammad haris though. Apart from that hack khushdil Shah and poor Hasan Ali. This is the best 11 Pakistan can field.

Why Mohammed Haris ?? and why are we playing two keepers. I dont think Haris has proved himself as a batter yet. Lets hope for the best i guess

Hasan Ali must have very strong back-up. This guy shouldn't play for Pakistan after 2021 T20 World Cup. But its Pakistan where hacks plays for years without performances.

Hassan Ali is pretty good against mediocre teams, watch him do well in this series.

Been too long since we've seen shadab in pakistan colours. Great to see Haris get his debut also. Very positive player

Almost perfect team, just swap Hassan Ali with Dhani or Naseem,. Kudos to management for trying Haris, not many expected to see him play over chacha, now it's upto Harris to take this chance with both hands. It will also increase pressure on Rizwan for ODI spot, start performing or Harris can take up keeper role as well.

The legendary West Indian commentator is there alongside Sana Mir (vibe killer)

Windies batting first. Not a good decision here. Batting will be easier undr lights.

Parchi is starting to get bashed. This guy has nothing to offer but still playing for national team.

Bump the SSA threads - can't be bothered to search.

Most overs bowled in the last 2 years in international cricket.

More international wickets than any othe bowler since his debut in 2018.

Bump and rave

He's let 18 of the 25 runs go this guy is an absolute disaster. Even his batting is awful

Maybe they preferred to bowl when its cooler.

That's the only thing I can think of. But that was the only way Windies could've won.

There have only been 3 ODIs at Multan between Top 8 sides. And all have been won by the chasing side with ridiculous ease.

We need to score atleast 300 here to stand a chance :afridi

Deathly conditions for the Pak bowlers:

2.jpg

windies have a decent bowling line up with walsh and hossein veyr good spinners.

Stands must be about 35 percent full. plenty of empty spaces. is pak also having cricket overdose syndrome like in India?
Brooks batting style looks so fluid elegant and easy on the eye especially his leg side strokes.

Weather is ridiculous to play cricket.
Very tough conditions for bowlers especially fast bowlers.

Surprising yet exciting to see Haris being included in the lineup. Potentially could be a great option to solve our middle order woes.

Figured they would continue to give Iftikhar a bit more of a run though and give themselves a righty off-spin option which they lack at the moment.

Bring back Hasan Ali for freebies. WI is struggling to score.

Crowd has built up slowly. I doubt many would be willing to sit in 45 degrees heat directly in the sun. Pakistan will be batting second by then I think we should see a pretty good crowd

West Indies are doing quite well. Solid partnership has been built by these two.

Hello folks, I have just tuned in Windies 78-1 so far, looking pretty solid, how is Pakistan bowling looking today.

We really need 2 proper fast bowler to support S Afridi. Australia will murder our bowlers in T20 World Cup.

How do you guys feel about Mohammad Nawaz is he a long term or even short term spin bowling option. I was liked Imad Wasim bowling kept it nice and tight and was economical as well

Babar getting great support from the crowd even when not at the crease.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.338%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/8aeac0" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

If windies keep it up and do not lose too many wickets from here on end, they will be able to post a good total indeed. for chasing how is the ground in Multan, does it favor teams batting first or second.

How do you guys feel about Mohammad Nawaz is he a long term or even short term spin bowling option. I was liked Imad Wasim bowling kept it nice and tight and was economical as well

Hasan Ali should be the first to go. This guy can neither do bowl, bat or field. Only good for modelling.

I predicted at the beginning this will be a close series and I actually think we will lose. They have a great start 340 is what they will be looking at surely

Sana Mir does an excellent job at deflecting attention on poor performers like Hassan Ali with her pointless rambling

At this point try something new bring is Khushdil too bowl, or even Babar, surpise the windies, we are so predictable sometimes

What was Rizwan saying, we have the best bowling attack in the world?

As predicted this parch will cost us this game. Mohammad Wasim needs to be sacked.

A timely 14 run over for West Indies

Thank you Hassan generator Ali

Another 4 overs Hasan Ali will give another 50-60 runs or even more.

A timely 14 run over for West Indies

Thank you Hassan generator Ali

Does Hasan Ali has powerful father/uncle in PCB? Not sure how he keep getting selected again and again?

Only a lame team like Pakistan will keep playing a dud like Hasan Ali and hoping for the best after his exploits in the T20 WC.

Struggle is real for Hasan Ali.

The pitch seems pretty great for batting though. Not slow enough to help spinners, no turn, no real bounce or swing in the pitch either.

Does Hasan Ali has powerful father/uncle in PCB? Not sure how he keep getting selected again and again?

Babar Azam

He prefers the same XI instead of proactive changes

They have some mad hitters to come on a pretty flat deck in the last 20!

WI 152/1 after 30 overs.

Pakistan will be lucky to restrict them below 320/330.

Shadab Khan is a live wire in the field! What a catch!

Both batters on the charge now. Pakistan really need to find a way to pickup a wicket here.

just as I type this, Shadab with an absolute bonkers catch. Oh my god.

Shadab
Rauf
Imam
Harris
Rizwan

Pakistan has some top class fielders in the XI

WI 152/1 after 30 overs.

Pakistan will be lucky to restrict them below 320/330.

For WC preparation, it's a good thing for Pakistan to get used to chasing big scores and being forced to bat in a way to do so IMO.

Back