Pakistan v Australia | Womens World Cup | Super Six | Sydney | 16/3/09

Mercenary

Senior ODI Player
Runs
This is Pakistan Women's first ever World Cup and they beat all the odds to reach the Super Six. By reaching the S6 they've already qualified for the next World Cup as well!

So far they have 2 wins out of 4 games played which is a good record for any team let alone a team playing its first ever World Cup.

In a couple of hours they take on the reigning World Champions Australia, anything other than a heavy loss would be seen as a big upset by Pakistan.

I hope the girls can continue to show the cornered tigers spirit they've been exhibiting in the games they've played so far.

Mens team, Womens team or youth team it doesnt matter. Pakistan are the masters of the mercurial and on their day they can beat any team in the world from any position.

Let's hope they pull off another unexpected win.

Disappointing stuff from Sky Sports, this is the only game being played today and they're not going to show it!!

Mercenary said:
Disappointing stuff from Sky Sports, this is the only game being played today and they're not going to show it!!

Is it actually being televised? I wouldnt be surprised if it isnt! Sky usually jump at the chance to show games for touraments that they bought the rights for,

Khabri420 said:
How is the Australian team this time around?
Different league to Pak - but they dont dominate the womens game.

Who is the fastest bowler on our team and how fast does she bowl?

Khabri420 said:
Who is the fastest bowler on our team and how fast does she bowl?

Asmavia Iqbal and she bowls around 65mph. However if she worked on her runup and fitness then she could easily be hitting upto 75mph

Oxy said:
Sukhan should never play for Pak again!!!

That's a bit harsh Oxy. Maybe she had a bad game, I mean look at this pull shot...

100485.jpg

...maybe there's some talent there. She's only 21.

Here's Urooj's thoughts on the win over the Windies from the Cricinfo 'Girls Aloud' blog...

We keep exceeding expectations

by Urooj Mumtaz

394392.jpg

I am so proud of my team that we keep exceeding everybody’s expectations at this event and that we managed to record another victory on Saturday.

The West Indies have done extremely well at this tournament so far, so to record a win over them was an extremely good effort and it was an excellent all-round display from the whole team.

Early wickets were always going to be important and Almas Akram bowled a beautiful opening spell. She may not be very tall but she bowls with good pace and an excellent line-and-length and she received some good support from our other bowlers.

On a personal note, I was pleased with my own spell of bowling, and Bismah Maroof deserves special praise for her outstanding catch. If it had been a televised match then I think that it would have had to be one of the contenders for the catch of the year as she flung herself at full stretch to her left and managed to keep hold of the ball with one hand.

I was a bit concerned when we were reduced to 55 for 5, but I knew that Armaan Khan has the strength and power to hit the ball very hard and so my focus was just on giving her the strike while she accelerated our run rate. It was quite a big ground so it was an excellent accomplishment to hit two sixes.

It was a shame that I couldn’t stay in until the end and guide the team to victory, but the whole side was ecstatic at the end when the winning runs came.

When the game finished, we all tried to grab one of the stumps, and then we went over to salute our noisy supporters. I am not sure where they all came from but there was about 200 Pakistan fans there, making the noise of thousands, and they were singing and dancing and cheering every run. It was amazing to have that level of support from the fans.

It is very exciting that we will have the opportunity to play Australia and New Zealand in our next two matches. We know that if we are to improve our ranking in international cricket we need to have the opportunity to play the best sides in the world and having put in disappointing performances with the bat against India and England, we are determined to prove that we can score runs against the very best.

You learn things from competing against top quality opposition, so to have the opportunity to play against the likes of Karen Rolton, Lisa Sthalekar, Aimee Mason and Haidee Tiffen will be a great experience for all of us.

But are not going to be just standing in the field with our autograph books, just because we are in the presence of the game’s biggest names, and instead our focus will be on beating them. We think we have a good chance of finishing in the top four at this event and we can’t wait for our next game against Australia on Monday.

Lets hope the ladies put up a creditable performance - something they can benefit from in the long run!

Good luck to Urooj & her army!

thanks for audio link. commentary sounds better than TV
Aus 23-0 after 7 overs
Qanita Jalil 4 overs for 17 runs
Almas Akram 3 overs for 6 runs

4 runs in 8th over - bowled by Akram
2 run in 9th over - bowled by Asmavia Iqbal
Aus 29-0 after 9 overs

Last edited:
Shelley 19 - Leah 13
.11.1 --- 3 runs of the Akram's over
Aus 32-0 after 10 overs

4 runs off Asmavia's over
Aus 36-0 after 11 overs

Shelley 21 - Leah 18
4 runs off Akram's overs
Aus 40-0 after 12 overs

Last edited:
Leah 25(55) - Shelley 27(41)
Aus 54-0 after 16 overs @ 3.38

Leah 35(71) - Shelley 41(49)
Aus 78-0 after 20 overs @ 3.9
Sajida Shah with an expensive over - 1 over for 12 runs
2 power plays gone. I guess batting power play left

Leah 25(55) - Shelley 27(41)
Aus 54-0 after 16 overs @ 3.38

Aus 87-0 after 22 overs

Shelley bowled by Sana Mir
Aus 101-1 after 23.3 overs @ 4.26

Sana Mir misses a simple (according to commentator) ct & b chance
Aus 111-1 after 26 overs

Leah 47(86) bowled by Sana Mir
Aus 119-2 after 28 overs

Alex Blackwell runout
Aus 130-3 after 31 overs

Sana Mir already finished with her overs 10 overs for 2-35

Aus 143-3 after 35 overs @ 4.09

Last edited:
Sajda shah with figures of 4.2-0-35-0 continues to be bowled whereas the openers still have 10 overs left and have gone for 3.4 an over so far.

196-3 (44)
Sajda shah 6-0-47-0

almas Akram back into the attack, about time.

Australia Women 229/6 (50 ov)
Pakistan Women 122 (45.1 ov)

Australia Women won by 107 runs.

Pakistan have done well so far in world cup but the likes of India, Aus, N.Z and England are are a different level. However, pakistan will learn from its experiences.

Back