[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Babar Azam's performance watch as captain for Peshawar Zalmi

Whats the harm?

Franchise cricket is fast and dynamic. Babar had his best year in the PSL when he played under someone elses captaincy.

Maybe he can bat with a lot more freedom when he has the burden of captaincy removed from him.

Franchises are there to make money - if the owners are smart they will make the choices best for them.

However as we have seen, QG with Sarf being the case, they will not always act based upon stats but personal relationships and how the public perceives them.

Given his position as national team captain, he’s not being removed in the current year.

I’m actually pretty sure that by PSL9, Babar won’t be PZ captain. If Mohammad Akram and Sammy truly want to reset PZ, they need to make Mohammed Haris the captain. Sounds crazy, I know, but that lad has the sort of energy and front foot attributes that show glimpses of leadership. That needs to be nurtured. The team, barring Bobby and Wahab, are also young enough, that PZ could make it work.

Do it PZ!

Given his position as national team captain, he’s not being removed in the current year.

I’m actually pretty sure that by PSL9, Babar won’t be PZ captain. If Mohammad Akram and Sammy truly want to reset PZ, they need to make Mohammed Haris the captain. Sounds crazy, I know, but that lad has the sort of energy and front foot attributes that show glimpses of leadership. That needs to be nurtured. The team, barring Bobby and Wahab, are also young enough, that PZ could make it work.

Do it PZ!

Khuda da naa le yaar!

Wait for this PSL to finish and decide with thande dimaagh

Making Harris captain is as jazbaati as making Asif Ali captain

Khuda da naa le yaar!

Wait for this PSL to finish and decide with thande dimaagh

Making Harris captain is as jazbaati as making Asif Ali captain

I meant for PSL 9 obvs, not right now. In the meantime, if there are any A tours after this PSL, when Pakistan are themselves not playing, I would make Haris captain of the A team.

no.

if you know how to do an analysis, go on cricinfo look at the score cards of the bowlers. Concentrate on the names.

All the bowlers they play are either unknown kids or oldies who are past their retirement date

The captain is part of the draft. He has a big say on who is selected. Zalmi have a terrible attack and Babar’s poor judgment is part of the reason. He needs to be held accountable.

I am not saying he should be sacked but his leadership on and off the pitch has been nothing but shambolic so far.

So how is Aamer Jamal good enough to bowl for Pakistan in the England T20i series but isn’t good enough to even play for Peshawar?

Who’s making the decision of not selecting him?

The captain is part of the draft. He has a big say on who is selected. Zalmi have a terrible attack and Babar’s poor judgment is part of the reason. He needs to be held accountable.

I am not saying he should be sacked but his leadership on and off the pitch has been nothing but shambolic so far.

He took a mediocre side in your own words to the knock out stages of a few ICC events already, he is matching some of the players you look up to on the other side of the border…

Was he part of the draft or did he come in late himself. Either way, their squad is ridiculously poor. No data just vibes. Its making his captaincy look terrible but I am not sure what you can do with that attack.

So how is Aamer Jamal good enough to bowl for Pakistan in the England T20i series but isn’t good enough to even play for Peshawar?

Who’s making the decision of not selecting him?

Yeah they need to get him in and also Mujeeb. Babar is tactically a really poor captain. Its the same as his batting, always taking the safe option. Okay for tests.

He took a mediocre side in your own words to the knock out stages of a few ICC events already, he is matching some of the players you look up to on the other side of the border…

Well Afghanistan have made a lot of progress and it is no surprise [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] likes some of their players.

Was he part of the draft or did he come in late himself. Either way, their squad is ridiculously poor. No data just vibes. Its making his captaincy look terrible but I am not sure what you can do with that attack.

He officially became a Zalmi player few days before the draft so he was involved. Also, he was in talks with them long before he officially signed so he must have known that he will be leading the side and had ample time to develop a team.

Zalmi is one of the worst run franchises. The owner is all about brand building and using the name for other business ventures. There is little focus on cricket.

They don’t have organized structure that Sultans and United do. They had a top class coach like Flower but let him go.

It is also interesting to note that they have missed out on almost every prominent player from the KP region: Fakhar, Shaheen, Rizwan, Naseem, Israrullah etc. Most, if not all of them, should have been part of Zalmi.

He got extremely lucky on both occasions. The conditions in the T20 World Cup in Dubai were heavily geared towards the chasing team. Almost every match was won by the team bowling first.

Babar was lucky to win the toss against India and New Zealand otherwise his team would be on the plane home.

He lost only one toss (semifinal) and lost the match.

He got extremely lucky in the World Cup in Australia due to two matches: South Africa vs Netherlands and South Africa vs Zimbabwe.

South Africa would smash Netherlands 99 out of 100 times and they had a NR vs Zimbabwe when they were 51/0 in 3 overs after being asked to chase 64 in 7 overs.

Rain and a total fluke result for Netherlands saved Pakistan from group stage elimination. Losing the final to England was poetic justice.

A reminder - part of the deal that took Babar Azam to Peshawar Zalmi was that he would only join them if he was made the skipper.

He got extremely lucky on both occasions. The conditions in the T20 World Cup in Dubai were heavily geared towards the chasing team. Almost every match was won by the team bowling first.

Babar was lucky to win the toss against India and New Zealand otherwise his team would be on the plane home.

He got extremely lucky in the World Cup in Australia due to two matches: South Africa vs Netherlands and South Africa vs Zimbabwe.

South Africa would smash Netherlands 99 out of 100 times and they had a NR vs Zimbabwe when they were 51/0 in 3 overs after being asked to chase 64 in 7 overs.

Rain and a total fluke result for Netherlands saved Pakistan from group stage elimination. Losing the final to England was poetic justice.

Luck has little to do with your own success, I know it’s a popular concept in south asia and unfortunately derails the potential for hard work. But Babar earned his way in both tournaments and played his part to do what was necessary to ensure the teams success.

A reminder - part of the deal that took Babar Azam to Peshawar Zalmi was that he would only join them if he was made the skipper.

He’s obsessed with 2 things he’s not good at. Opening in t20s and being captain.

He’s obsessed with 2 things he’s not good at. Opening in t20s and being captain.

Zalmi knew what they were getting into with the arrangement and have to bite the bullet.

Babar does need to wake up about opening but on the captaincy side I can’t blame him, he is leading the national side, what message does it send if he isn’t domestically? besides it’s a nice little gig to experiment new ideas and strategies, all good fun the T20 isn’t it :yk

no.

if you know how to do an analysis, go on cricinfo look at the score cards of the bowlers. Concentrate on the names.

All the bowlers they play are either unknown kids or oldies who are past their retirement date

Babar is part of picking the team/squad.

It's unfair to attribute someones success to luck and failures to their skill. Babar has captained decently in white ball internationals. He's not the greatest tactician but has kept the team united

An unbiased person would also account for the fact that we were quite unlucky to lose to India. Dubious no ball, runs of a free hit bowled (which has now changed). If you focus on the luck focus on the misfortune. Net net we got what we deserved we thrashed two top teams (NZ and SAF) made it to the final where we got owned by the top dogs.

If the roles were reversed and we got that no ball six I am sure you would be calling it a fluke.

Last edited:
Zalmi knew what they were getting into with the arrangement and have to bite the bullet.

Babar does need to wake up about opening but on the captaincy side I can’t blame him, he is leading the national side, what message does it send if he isn’t domestically? besides it’s a nice little gig to experiment new ideas and strategies, all good fun the T20 isn’t it :yk

Ehh, I guess you are right as far as PSL goes. It’s just fun cricket, doesn’t really matter if he leads. Looks bad if he doesn’t lead here but leads nationally.

Probably it’s just a lot of us have reached our limit when it comes to his blunders as an on field captain. Apart from some PR locker room vids of him giving pep talks during the WC, nothing about his tactics, mentality or persona says he’s captaincy material. If anything, it’s the opposite. Imo eventually moving on from captaincy will take pressure off him to let loose as a player like Sachin.

Ehh, I guess you are right as far as PSL goes. It’s just fun cricket, doesn’t really matter if he leads. Looks bad if he doesn’t lead here but leads nationally.

Probably it’s just a lot of us have reached our limit when it comes to his blunders as an on field captain. Apart from some PR locker room vids of him giving pep talks during the WC, nothing about his tactics, mentality or persona says he’s captaincy material. If anything, it’s the opposite. Imo eventually moving on from captaincy will take pressure off him to let loose as a player like Sachin.

He could do it in Tests where you do not need minute to minute tactics.

Only a matter of time before Javed Afridi gives someone else the captaincy. Even Darren Sammy can't do anything with this incompetent captain.

Only a matter of time before Javed Afridi gives someone else the captaincy. Even Darren Sammy can't do anything with this incompetent captain.

Javed Afridi needs Shaheen Afridi on the Peshawar team.

An unbiased person would also account for the fact that we were quite unlucky to lose to India. Dubious no ball, runs of a free hit bowled (which has now changed). If you focus on the luck focus on the misfortune. Net net we got what we deserved we thrashed two top teams (NZ and SAF) made it to the final where we got owned by the top dogs.

If the roles were reversed and we got that no ball six I am sure you would be calling it a fluke.

There was nothing dubious about the no-ball. People conveniently forget that Nawaz bowled the exact same delivery earlier in the over and got away with it.

When a bowler bowls two borderline waist high full-tosses in the same over, the umpire will penalize him on the second occasion. No umpire would let a bowler get away with two borderline waist high full-tosses.

Getting runs of a free-hit bowled was legal at the time so it was not luck, it was legal play. You cannot apply new rules to past events.

Pakistan did receive a favorable decision though. Axar Patel’s run out was not conclusive at all. There was no visual evidence that the bails were dislodged by the ball and not the gloves (without the ball). It was a pure 50-50 call and the tv umpire could have given the benefit of the doubt to the batsman but he did not.

If it was a Pakistani batsman, our fans would be calling it a dodgy decision.

Luck has little to do with your own success, I know it’s a popular concept in south asia and unfortunately derails the potential for hard work. But Babar earned his way in both tournaments and played his part to do what was necessary to ensure the teams success.

Luck plays a role in everything. Hard work is obviously more important, but you need that extra bit of luck too. Every team that has ever won a World Cup in any sport had a slice of good fortune at some point.

I recon a platinum captain’s trade between Peshawar and Multan might work in favour of PCB and both franchises

If Peshawar don't qualify for playoffs, then that is a major dent on Babar's profile as captain. I hope the PCB is looking at this in deeper detail, and not let it slide until the world cup as a wait-and-watch approach.

I recon a platinum captain’s trade between Peshawar and Multan might work in favour of PCB and both franchises

Are you serious about this? Because this isn’t the worst suggestion. I’m not sure if Multan would agree though, plus they lose their WK.

Are you serious about this? Because this isn’t the worst suggestion. I’m not sure if Multan would agree though, plus they lose their WK.

If they can do a double swap, so Babar+Harris for Rizwan+Khushdil

It might work out well for both. Khushdil is useless for any team which isn’t captained by Rizwan

He officially became a Zalmi player few days before the draft so he was involved. Also, he was in talks with them long before he officially signed so he must have known that he will be leading the side and had ample time to develop a team.

Zalmi is one of the worst run franchises. The owner is all about brand building and using the name for other business ventures. There is little focus on cricket.

They don’t have organized structure that Sultans and United do. They had a top class coach like Flower but let him go.

It is also interesting to note that they have missed out on almost every prominent player from the KP region: Fakhar, Shaheen, Rizwan, Naseem, Israrullah etc. Most, if not all of them, should have been part of Zalmi.

They are the only team to have reached the playoffs every season so I doubt they are one of the “worse run franchises”…

They are the only team to have reached the playoffs every season so I doubt they are one of the “worse run franchises”…

They have punched above their weight but they haven’t really had a plan. It is not a sustainable model.

They have punched above their weight but they haven’t really had a plan. It is not a sustainable model.

I feel that they’re better at talent identification than they are at squad building (covering all bases, having both variety and depth). Hence they’re forever the bridesmaids.

Done well in Match 25 against Quetta - Strike Rate up where it should be and leading from the front.

I am watching first match of this year’s PSL and what a performance by Babar. Now the sore losers here should stay silent for a little while at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing from Babar - look at this scoremap

fkVAJf1.png

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Peshawar's 240/2 is the 4th highest total in PSL history.<br><br>Babar Azam's 115 is the 6th highest score in PSL history<br>(Pics courtesy PZ)<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PSL8?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PSL8</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PZvsQG?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PZvsQG</a> <a href="https://t.co/54TSX3sRR4">pic.twitter.com/54TSX3sRR4</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1633497564891820038?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 8, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Babar Azam brilliance today

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qbSaSZB2owQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good with the bat today, but very average in the field as skipper.

Bowling was terrible, but the skipper needs to take some responsibility.

Time for Darren Sammy, Mohammad Akram and Javed Afridi to get sick of the guy

Good with the bat today, but very average in the field as skipper.

Bowling was terrible, but the skipper needs to take some responsibility.

A normal day in the life of Babar Azam as captain.

Enough is enough. Losing after posting 240… for a captain already losing faith from fans.

Time to move on.

wait he was on the field? he was MIA!!! Classic Babar kuptaani... didnt see him once talk to his bowlers or hype em up... he got a 100, he knew job done already...

If you cant defend 240- than you shouldnt be captain.

Babar if he gives up captaincy for Zalmi and Pakistan, it will due him good, he will be able to focus just on his batting, and will be better, but in terms of a captain, he just does have it, and their is no shame in that, not everyone can be a captain.

Babar Azam today:

Jason Roy changed the game totally. Bowling was not up to the mark, what we discussed we did not execute. Having one more spinner wouldn't have helped as the pitch was great. We wanted to carry on with the same combination from last game. The way Saim Ayub started, it helped carry on the momentum, as a youngster he is improving day by day and it's good for Pakistan cricket. As a professional, you need to identify a few things and we will sit and discuss what went wrong. We have back to back games now and we want to come back.

Not good enough as a captain if he can't defend this score then he shouldn't be captain.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Babar Azam last 3 innings:<br><br>73<br>115<br>50<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PSL8?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PSL8</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PZvMS?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PZvMS</a> <a href="https://t.co/Ic89SA1DeY">pic.twitter.com/Ic89SA1DeY</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1634211985930821632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 10, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Don’t care now tbh. At least he temporarily won’t be captaining Pakistan

Every achievement of Pakistan is always lucky apparently.

Babar needs to give up captaincy and opening position for Pakistan, not for Zalmi, as he has poor bowling team there, and do not forget the other team also gave away 240 runs on the same pitch with their better bowlers.

Babar needs to give up captaincy and opening position for Pakistan, not for Zalmi, as he has poor bowling team there, and do not forget the other team also gave away 240 runs on the same pitch with their better bowlers.

Why now? Its too late to apologise

Why now? Its too late to apologise

I always said one of Babar and Rizwan has to bat at 3,and never liked Babrs captaincy. I was one of the first one to blame him for not slecting Nawaz in the semi final against Australia and calling him out in that tournamwnt theoughout. You are confusing my favouring his quality as a batsman.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Babar Azam last 3 innings:<br><br>73<br>115<br>50<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PSL8?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PSL8</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PZvMS?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PZvMS</a> <a href="https://t.co/Ic89SA1DeY">pic.twitter.com/Ic89SA1DeY</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1634211985930821632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 10, 2023</a></blockquote>

Seems to be in fine form at the momemt

You know things are bad when even Mohsin Khan suggests Babar to step down from captaincy and the T-20 format as it is not his forte especially if he doesn't open the innings.

Peshawar Zalmi and Pakistan captain Babar Azam Zalmi, one of the best batsmen in the world, arrived in Peshawar to witness the talent hunt and encourage young cricketers. On reaching the Hayatabad Sports Complex, Babar Azam was given a traditional welcome and was presented with traditional turban. The final match and closing ceremony of Zalmi Talent will be held tomorrow evening at the Cricket Stadium of Hayatabad Sports Complex.

After a three-day talent hunt, Peshawar Zalmi shortlisted sixty players. Matches were played between Babar Azam XI, Darren Sammy XI, Inzamam-ul-Haq XI and Kamran Akmal XI. An exhibition match will be played tomorrow at the Hayatabad Sports Complex for the final and selection of the best twenty players. In which the young cricketers of Zalmi Talent Hunt will be in action. In his video message to the fans of Peshawar, Babar Azam said that in the past, the fans of Peshawar have been visiting the ground even in the domestic matches. It is hoped that fans will visit Hayatabad Sports Complex to watch tomorrow's match. The match will be played at 4 pm.

4968dae3-d7f5-4d36-baef-ec2d7f7ed055.jpg0161093e-fe25-4314-8a1a-2cd1d52503dc.jpge0757c8c-eaaf-4596-a43f-38799fe2f855.jpg

Peshawar Zalmi Talent Hunt 2023 ends successfully in Hayatabad Sports complex, 15 best and talented cricketers selected after Trials of 10 thousand young Cricketers

The first and important stage of the Zalmi talent hunt 2023 organized by the Pakistan Super League franchise Peshawar Zalmi has ended, more than ten thousand young cricketers have registered in the four-day trials at the Hayatabad Sports Complex Peshawar. Peshawar Zalmi President Inzamam ul Haq, Director Cricket Mohammad Akram, Zalmi star Kamran Akmal were among the selection panel that tested the talent of the young cricketers participating in the open trials and selected the best players. Pakistan and Peshawar Zalmi captain Babar Azam also reached Peshawar on the third day of the trials and encouraged the young cricketers. Zalmi and Pakistan Rising Star Mohammad Haris were also present at the trials and encouraged the young cricketers.

The young cricketers were given an opportunity to show their skills by organizing matches between Inzamam u l Haq XI, Babar Azam XI, Kamran Akmal XI and Darren Sammy XI. After the end of these matches, the fiften best young cricketers have been finalized. Peshawar Zalmi Director of Cricket Muhammad Akram said that Peshawar Zalmi will provide all possible facilities to the fiften young cricketers . Young cricketers will get training and coaching at the National Cricket Academy and the most talented young cricketers can also be given an opportunity in the emerging category of PSL 9.

Rumours going around that Naseem has left Quetta Gladiators to join Peshawar Zalmi.

Saim Ayub
Mohammad Haris (wk)
Babar Azam (c)
Overseas Batsman
Danish Aziz
Overseas All rounder
Haseebullah
Amir Jamal
Naseem Shah
Arshad Iqbal
Sufiyan Muqeem

If Babar can’t win the PSL with this team then it’s best he says goodbye to his PSL captaincy as well.

Bring in Shai Hope at number 4 and Cornwall at 6 and you’ve got a solid team.

Rumours going around that Naseem has left Quetta Gladiators to join Peshawar Zalmi.

Saim Ayub
Mohammad Haris (wk)
Babar Azam (c)
Overseas Batsman
Danish Aziz
Overseas All rounder
Haseebullah
Amir Jamal
Naseem Shah
Arshad Iqbal
Sufiyan Muqeem

If Babar can’t win the PSL with this team then it’s best he says goodbye to his PSL captaincy as well.

Bring in Shai Hope at number 4 and Cornwall at 6 and you’ve got a solid team.
Danish Aziz isn't good enough. Haseebullah will likely bat in top 4. PZ have a habit of picking WI players. They need players like Neesham, Moeen Ali and a decent pacer, Jordan/Mills,

I personally recon Zalmi can make a long term captaincy investment in Mohammad Harris. He’s a genuine star/match winner for me.

He’s exciting, he’s unpredictable, he has a winner’s mindset too.

I love Harris in the powerplay

The guy is so direct. See ball, hit ball. His bat speed is probably the fastest in Pakistan

I guess Babar had to captain a franchise because he was the national team captain. That’s not the case anymore,

I don’t see the point of him being captain of any franchise now. He opted not to captain the LPL side he was a part of as well. I doubt he will want to captain Zalmi anymore, what’s there to gain?

I guess Babar had to captain a franchise because he was the national team captain. That’s not the case anymore,

I don’t see the point of him being captain of any franchise now. He opted not to captain the LPL side he was a part of as well. I doubt he will want to captain Zalmi anymore, what’s there to gain?
Brother here in Pakistan, Babar is a brand he has fan following like crazy and the way he has performed as a batsman so far and if manages to play for.another 7/8 years he might rival IK in stardom

Brother here in Pakistan, Babar is a brand he has fan following like crazy and the way he has performed as a batsman so far and if manages to play for.another 7/8 years he might rival IK in stardom
Right. Who’s asking him not to play just as a player?

Right. Who’s asking him not to play just as a player?
PZ with Babar as captain has more brand value than having any other skipper, Mr. JAVED AFRIDI is very passionate person he wants PZ to be Pakistan's Real Madrid that's why Naseem will be picked he wants to have a galaxy also watch out a world class Overseas middle order player will join PZ

PZ with Babar as captain has more brand value than having any other skipper, Mr. JAVED AFRIDI is very passionate person he wants PZ to be Pakistan's Real Madrid that's why Naseem will be picked he wants to have a galaxy also watch out a world class Overseas middle order player will join PZ
Naseem Shah won’t join PZ unless they release a like for like player as a trade. They could well ask for Saim Ayub

Danish Aziz isn't good enough. Haseebullah will likely bat in top 4. PZ have a habit of picking WI players. They need players like Neesham, Moeen Ali and a decent pacer, Jordan/Mills,

I’d give Aziz the first 3 games of the PSL before replacing him with an overseas batsman. Not asking him to score 50-60 etc, just show us some ability of power hitting in the middle overs, and average anything around 30 with a high strike should be enough to cement his place in the team.

I’d give Aziz the first 3 games of the PSL before replacing him with an overseas batsman. Not asking him to score 50-60 etc, just show us some ability of power hitting in the middle overs, and average anything around 30 with a high strike should be enough to cement his place in the team.
That'd be great for Pak Cricket as well if it does happen. But i don't think Danish has what it takes to make it in international cricket.

I love Harris in the powerplay

The guy is so direct. See ball, hit ball. His bat speed is probably the fastest in Pakistan
Haris should be opening for Pakistan Saim should be batting at 3.

In a recent conversation in a local sports platform with Wasim Akram , Gautam Ghambir said about Babar Azam:

"I believe you will witness the best of Babar Azam now. You will see a completely different Babar Azam because I had chosen him ahead of the World Cup. I told him he would be the batter of the tournament. However, captaining in the World Cup with the team not performing well, you can imagine the pressure on the skipper.

Now, you will see the true Babar Azam, a side of him that no one has seen. I don't know about Babar Azam's records, but you will witness his real abilities from now on. Babar Azam has nothing to prove. He possesses such quality that he can go out and possibly become the best batter Pakistan has ever produced. At 27 or 28 years old, he has another 10 years. Now, he will take on the lower pressure of captaincy."

Gautam Gambhir is full of praise for Babar Azam. It shows the positive side of Gautam Gambhir.

Back