[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Hasan Ali signed-up again by Warwickshire for the 2024 season

Warwickshire have agreed a deal with Hassan Ali to bring the popular Pakistan international back to Edgbaston in 2024.

Hassan established himself as a fans’ favourite, on and off the field, during his three-month spell with the Bears last season.

The right-arm quick took 33 wickets – 24 in the LV= Insurance County Championship and nine in the Vitalty Blast – having slotted seamlessly into the Bears squad and describing Edgbaston as “my second home”.

Such was his impact that the 29-year-old, who’s taken nine wickets for Pakistan in the ongoing ICC World Cup, was awarded his White Bear Cap ahead of his final game in the dramatic win at Notts Outlaws.

The contract covers Warwickshire and Bears fixtures in the LV= Insurance County Championship and Vitality Blast until the end of July, with the option for Hassan to return for the red ball run-in and Vitality Blast Finals Day in September.

“The boys have always showed love to me and encouraged me,” said Hassan. “I really enjoyed my season with Warwickshire and was very keen to return.

“I feel I’m playing in my second home and I’m very comfortable in the dressing room. I didn’t feel like I’m playing in another country or another franchise.

“I can’t wait to come back. Warwickshire is one of the best teams I’ve played with. The environment is good, we play brilliant cricket and the boys are so talented.

“The players, staff and supporters looked after me so well and hopefully 2024 will be a good year for the Bears when I return.”

Hassan is expected to join up with the squad in late March for pre-season training at the conclusion of the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

First Team Coach Mark Robinson, said: “It’s great news for the team and the wider Club. Hassan brings a real energy to the place, the dressing room and on the pitch and inspires everyone around him with his enthusiasm.

“He’s a quality performer, a proven wicket taker and as we saw he pulled off some decent cameo roles with the bat last season as well.

“He covers red and white ball and hopefully we’ll have him for a longer duration next season and can impact across both formats.

“We all know the impact of getting a quality, passionate overseas player can bring to a Club and Hassan did some great work here off the pitch, in our community in 2023. That’s sometimes what fans don’t see.

“Hassan was keen to return, he fitted in well last year, and wanted to be part of another push for trophies with the Bears.”

County Cricket is horrible for fast bowlers, Every fast bowler who plays in it ends up losing 10-12 km/hr in pace after 2 years.

County Cricket is horrible for fast bowlers, Every fast bowler who plays in it ends up losing 10-12 km/hr in pace after 2 years.
That is his level now. Bowling 125Ks on those English pitches. Never though he would become a trundler, but he truly is a trundler ATM.

Back in the day , bowler like Hasan Ali won't even make it to the 2nd division league cricket.

More of an opportunity for Hassan to test his skills in English conditions. He can make a comeback but he really needs to work hard. The pace looks off, line and length are shaky but he can make a comeback surely.

Hassan Ali has revealed he turned down offers from other First Class counties in order to return to his “second home” Edgbaston.

Ali’s pace, passion and personality established him as a fans’ favourite, on and off the field, during his three-month spell with the Bears last season.

The right-arm quick took 33 wickets – 24 in the LV= Insurance County Championship and nine in the Vitality Blast – having slotted seamlessly into the squad.

He’s set to rejoin his Bears teammates ahead of the season curtain-raiser at home to Worcestershire on 5 April.

And the 29-year-old said that, despite interest for his signature from rival clubs, there was only one place he wanted to play in England.

Speaking from Lahore, Pakistan, ahead of training with the Karachi Kings in the Pakistan Super League, he said: “Edgbaston is my second home. Three counties made offers for me but if I’m going to play in the County Championship, my priority is Warwickshire.

“I like Birmingham. I have great memories of Edgbaston. The people are so nice, welcoming and I have a really good relationship with all the players and management.

“I want to thank Gavin (Larsen) and Robbo (Mark Robinson) for putting their trust in me and wanting me to come back. I want to reward their trust with my best performances and lots of wickets. I’m very pleased to be back as a Bear and Edgbaston which is a beautiful stadium.”

Hassan’s contract covers Warwickshire and Bears fixtures in the LV= Insurance County Championship and Vitality Blast until the end of July, with the option to return for the red ball run-in and Vitality Blast Finals Day in September.

He was awarded his White Bear cap ahead of his last Bears Vitality Blast game at Trent Bridge on 31 May last year before joining Pakistan on a tour of Sri Lanka.

A call-up to Pakistan’s ODI World Cup squad in India – where he took 9 wickets, including a four-fer vs Sri Lanka – was then followed by a Test series in Australia.

“It’s been a busy year…I’ve played cricket for 11 of the 12 months,” added Hassan. “I can’t complain though as I’m so proud to be back in the Pakistan side.

“When the PCB (Pakistan Cricket Board) called to say I was in the Sri Lanka tour I told Robbo, he was a bit sad but also so happy as he knows how much it meant for me. I’m lucky that I’m getting more chances.

“Pakistan play an IT20 against England at Edgbaston in May, so I could be playing for my first home in the stadium of my second home!

“The Bears played very well as a team last season. We have a good side, a balanced side with players like Hain Train, Mr Consistent Sam Hain, very promising players like Dan Mousley, Bethell and Yatesy, and older players like Rushy bhai and Olly the Long Fellow.

“I’m hoping we can make it to the finals and lift a trophy in the Championship or T20 Blast.”

Hassan has promised fans more impassioned celebrations like his charge across the outfield that greeted his match-winning wicket against Kent in the first home game of 2023 – and which first endeared him to members.

He added: “The fans are my family. I want to make them happy and entertain them. I enjoy going upstairs after a game to speak to the members. They are giving us their precious time, we’re playing for them, they’re supporting us, sometimes sitting all day to watch.

“Maybe I will run again to the stand and celebrate in front of the Bears fans. People like that celebration.

“I have my trademark celebration (the explosion) and some people have said I should try something else. But that’s my trademark…and I’m hoping Bears fans will see me do it plenty of times this season.”

What happened to the standard of county cricket, club cricketers like Hasan Ali playing county cricket , just sad . I can imagine him playing some 2nd division league cricket, not county.

Warwickshire seamer Hassan Ali has been called up to the Pakistan squad that’s set to tour Ireland and England later this month.

Ali wasn’t expected to feature on the IT20 tour – which starts in Ireland on 10 May – but an injury to fellow Pakistan pacer Haris Rauf has seen him drafted into the travelling party.

Pakistan play three IT20s in Ireland before heading to England for four more starting at Headingley on 22 May before moving to Edgbaston, Sophia Gardens, Cardiff, and finally The Oval.

It means the 29-year-old could line up for Pakistan against England at his “second home” Edgbaston in front of a sell-out crowd on 25 May.

The call-up rules Ali out of Warwickshire’s County Championship rips to Surrey (starts 10 May), Essex (17 May), and Lancashire (24 May).

Bears Vitality Blast campaign starts in Durham on 31 May.

Warwickshire Performance Director Gavin Larsen, who played 129 times for New Zealand, said: “It’s fantastic news for Hassan and we’re all thrilled for him.

Source: Warwickshire County Club

Hassan meets pioneering Pakistan cricketer Wazir Mohammad

Pakistan internationals past and present came together as Bears’ Hassan Ali took time to meet Wazir Mohammad, Pakistan’s oldest living Test cricketer.

Wazir – who played 20 Tests between 1952-59 – was part of the pioneering Pakistan team of 1954 that toured England for the first time.

He top scored in the final Test, unbeaten on 42, as they shocked an England side featuring the likes of Denis Compton and captain Len Hutton to win at The Oval.

The 94-year-old, now living in Solihull, is the only surviving member of that series.

Hassan Ali – who made his Pakistan Test debut 65 years after Wazir – paid him a visit to talk Pakistan cricket, the Bears, and to present him with tickets for the upcoming England vs Pakistan IT20 at Edgbaston.

“It was an honour to meet Wazir, he is a living legend,” said Hassan. “There’s a special bond between everyone who’s played for our country, lots of respect and love.

“Wazir was at the very start of Pakistan’s journey in international cricket and it was lovely hearing his memories about the games he played in, especially the 189 he scored in the West Indies.

“He told me how he wasn’t scared to face world class bowlers because he enjoyed the challenge of testing himself against the best.

“I hope to be playing for Pakistan against England at Edgbaston later this month and it will be wonderful if Wazir can be watching in the crowd.”

Wazir – who scored 801 runs in 20 Tests – is one of four brothers that played international cricket for Pakistan.

Alongside Hanif Mohammad, Mushtaq Mohammad, and Sadiq Mohammad they collectively played 173 Tests for their country.

Back