Questions Regarding Cricket Equipment (Bats, Pads, Gloves etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd get the Krakatoa between those two ... but why not a Pakistani bat?

Atif Bhai, it really depend the kind of bat you want.

Thruxton has high middle. GT us pro shaped bat and has sweetspot positioned in middle. At last Krakatoa has low sweetspot.

If you want feather light pickup then go for Thruxton or GT.

I already have Krakatoa and if I were to buy another Newbery then it would be GT as I fond that best bat in there range. Shame I didn't get it in first place as my prefered weight was not available.

Poison said:
I'd get the Krakatoa between those two ... but why not a Pakistani bat?
Grizzly, Thruxton, GT335, B52 SPS and Krakatoa. Those are the options brother. I thought I need a bat straight away so I am getting it from the U.K, however Pak trip coming up in November so I can buy myself one or two Pak bats from there so I have a nice little collection for once.

Cover Drive said:
Atif Bhai, it really depend the kind of bat you want.

Thruxton has high middle. GT us pro shaped bat and has sweetspot positioned in middle. At last Krakatoa has low sweetspot.

If you want feather light pickup then go for Thruxton or GT.

I already have Krakatoa and if I were to buy another Newbery then it would be GT as I fond that best bat in there range. Shame I didn't get it in first place as my prefered weight was not available.
Well, I keep my bat lifted when the bowler is running in (Amir Sohail style) and I am an english type batsman, like to play with a straight bat, So I'm not sure, Let's see which one I can get the best discount on from Asab Bhai ;-)

Cover Drive said:
Atif Bhai what weight do you want?
I'm thinkin 2.9'ish but because I plan on getting myself a Pak bat later, I thought maybe keep this Newbury the lighter Bat from my collection, Depends though, like you said, if it's heavy at the bottom, then I probably go for a lighter bat, whereas if it's the other way around, I can go for something around 2.10, 2.11.

Brother, How does the length of the bat work? I'm 6"3 so should that be taken into consideration? Also, the Thruxton XL, would you know what is the XL about? (Length, Weight, Edges)?

I think B52 is those heavy bats so I am not sure if that would be fine with you. Plus this bat is subcontiental style bat made by Newbery.

Grizzly I think is old now so personally I wouldn't go for it. Krakatoa bottom hand is a bit heavy but if you get one in let's say 2.7ish then you can balance out the pick up etc and it would become around 2.9ish. I did that and was successful. My Krakatoa is 2.7 but feels like 2.9ish as it has low sweetspot.

I am sure Asad Bhai has GT in 2.10-2.11 range.

How are pitches in Norway? Do they have high bounce or low?

AtifUk said:
Brother, How does the length of the bat work? I'm 6"3 so should that be taken into consideration? Also, the Thruxton XL, would you know what is the XL about? (Length, Weight, Edges)?
Wow. Length is usually standard unless it's a T29 bat. I would say get a Long Handle as you are tall (MashALLAH) so it would be easier for you to use rather than a Shoet Handle bat which might become too short for you.

Thruxton XL is a bat which has thick edges. In other words, maximum possible thickness was obtained in Thruxton XL (IMO). Thickness of edges mainly depend on the weight.

Cover Drive said:
I think B52 is those heavy bats so I am not sure if that would be fine with you. Plus this bat is subcontiental style bat made by Newbery.

Grizzly I think is old now so personally I wouldn't go for it. Krakatoa bottom hand is a bit heavy but if you get one in let's say 2.7ish then you can balance out the pick up etc and it would become around 2.9ish. I did that and was successful. My Krakatoa is 2.7 but feels like 2.9ish as it has low sweetspot.

I am sure Asad Bhai has GT in 2.10-2.11 range.

How are pitches in Norway? Do they have high bounce or low?
Unfortunately, it's my first season here, I have only played one innings in a friendly, but I think it's on the low side, uneven is probably more accurate, artificial pitches you see. However, I think I'm leaning towards the Krakatoa, 2 reasons, 1) like you said, good low sweetspot (I still plan to get a CA and like you said they have a higher sweetspot) and 2) The name is pretty cool. :)

Artificial pitches does have a low bounce so in that case best bet would be Krakatoa. As you are getting a CA in future then make sure your second bat is low sweetspot one. CA does have higher sweetspot than Krakatoa. I have both CA and Krakatoa and I must say both are great bats.

I am sure you will be on safe side when buying a Krakatoa :D

In your friendly game did you use a Short Handle bat or Long Handle? If short then was that bat okay for you? For your eight I would say go with a LH. But it's upto you to select which one to buy as you will be paying. I could be wrong in this case so go with what you are comfortable.

Cover Drive said:
Artificial pitches does have a low bounce so in that case best bet would be Krakatoa. As you are getting a CA in future then make sure your second bat is low sweetspot one. CA does have higher sweetspot than Krakatoa. I have both CA and Krakatoa and I must say both are great bats.

I am sure you will be on safe side when buying a Krakatoa :D

In your friendly game did you use a Short Handle bat or Long Handle? If short then was that bat okay for you? For your eight I would say go with a LH. But it's upto you to select which one to buy as you will be paying. I could be wrong in this case so go with what you are comfortable.
I batted for the first time in the middle after a good 8 year gap, so I wasn't even analysing my bat, But one of the problems I have is my brother will be sharing the bat with me and he's 5"6, 5"7. So either I can be cheeky and get the long handle anyways or try and see if there's something in between.

After reading through I find Uzair's knowledge on different make of Newbery bats is spot on.

Regards

Asad

Uzair I'll show you picture of SF Laminated bat am getting soon. Ajit will send the pictures within next few days. Btw am getting SF Triumph Pads for myself to complete my full matching SF Kit. Next week Inshallah I will receive everything including the left handed SS Kit for my frnd and few things for myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
AtifUk said:
I batted for the first time in the middle after a good 8 year gap, so I wasn't even analysing my bat, But one of the problems I have is my brother will be sharing the bat with me and he's 5"6, 5"7. So either I can be cheeky and get the long handle anyways or try and see if there's something in between.
Oh okay. There isn't anything in between. However, now I would say buy a Short Handle as it would be unfair towards your brother.

Hello to all,

First post in this thread so bit info about me
I am Fahad from Paris
I just start club cricket here in France.
I had no Bat, so my uncle has just sent me one from Pakistan.
Its a CA plus 8000.
Your views on this BAT?

I will try to post some pics

I dont really rate newbery that much tbh. I've seen lot of broken newberys on csf forum. Atif Bhai If i was you I would get a grade 1 SS Ton Ranger(£100) or SS Ton Professional from Ajit Bhai. I've seen few Sussex players who are sponsored by newbery when they played in champions league t20 in India few of them used SS TON bats with newbery stickers. SS bats are best.

I don't agree with you Majid. Newbery bats are the best bat if you are looking for an English brand. they make bats for loads of professional players who use their sponsered stickers on their bats. I can't believe that you can state that Sussex players use Newbery stickers. I think it is normally the other way round. Plz don't make false statements unless you can prove it.

if someone is looking to buy an Asian brand, then i would chose from SS, BAS or CA.

Regards

Asad

shahzadatr said:
Hello to all,

First post in this thread so bit info about me
I am Fahad from Paris
I just start club cricket here in France.
I had no Bat, so my uncle has just sent me one from Pakistan.
Its a CA plus 8000.
Your views on this BAT?

I will try to post some pics
Welcome to PP!

Hope you have a good time!

It is a very good bat. Pictures would be great if you can post them

Majid_V3 said:
I dont really rate newbery that much tbh. I've seen lot of broken newberys on csf forum. Atif Bhai If i was you I would get a grade 1 SS Ton Ranger(£100) or SS Ton Professional from Ajit Bhai. I've seen few Sussex players who are sponsored by newbery when they played in champions league t20 in India few of them used SS TON bats with newbery stickers. SS bats are best.
It's not that SS bats don't break. The breakage chances of Newbery and SS are equal.

You must be joking that someone is using another bat with Newber stickers lol.

Newber is one of the finest batmaker in this world. I am sure many people would agree with me on this fact that Newbery's craftsmanship etc is miles better than Indian and/or Pakistani

Atm I cant find any pictures of Joe Gatting but am 110% sure I saw him using a SS ton bat with newbery stickers. Joe Gatting isnt famous so there aren't 2 many pictures of him batting. SS pressing is the best in the world thats why so many players use their bats. The ping is unbelievably good on SS bats and thats why players who are sponsored by other brands use SS bats with their sponsor stickers.

Last edited:
I know Joe Gatting and i have seen him picking up his bats from Newbery last season which were made by Newbery. Newbery pressing is the best and that's why they press willow for many bat makers in UK.

Majid_V3 said:
Atm I cant find any pictures of Joe Gatting but am 110% sure I saw him using a SS ton bat with newbery stickers. Joe Gatting isnt famous so there aren't 2 many pictures of him batting. SS pressing is the best in the world thats why so many players use their bats. The ping is unbelievably good on SS bats and thats why players who are sponsored by other brands use SS bats with their sponsor stickers.
SS bats are soft pressed which I don't think is a good thing because they will be finished in a short period of time.

Majid_V3 said:
Btw Ali Bro, which bats/gear do you use and do u have any pictures of ur kit ?

Majid bhai, i know that you recommend Ajit (onlinestockist) but I did send him couple of messages to see if he would send me pictures of the bats that I might buy and he did not stating that all the pictures are on his website. So to me personally, I would never buy a bat unless I see it up-close at different angles. Moreover, he would not give you the weight that one would request instead he will give a range which I dont see is fair.

BTW, I asked for Kahuna Ricky Ponting, SF Sapphire, SG King Cobra pics in 2.7-2.8.

Sherry Bhai, you probably know but Ajit's Kookaburra are Indian version which are different to English version.

Saphire is a good bat as well as King Cobra.

Really feeling the SF bats as of late......perhaps I will get my cousin to pick one up when he goes to India next year.

CD, do you know how much the 12000 LE is going for in Pak right now? Someone is coming from there and I might get them to bring it for me :-D

I always liked Majid Bhais SF Saphire but when I actually held it didn't please me much. It's alrright in my opinion.

Now I have started to like King Cobra lol

Sorry I have no clue whatsoever. If you really want to know then I can call Shakeel Bhai tomorrow and ask him prices of all the bats.

cricketer13 said:
Majid bhai, i know that you recommend Ajit (onlinestockist) but I did send him couple of messages to see if he would send me pictures of the bats that I might buy and he did not stating that all the pictures are on his website. So to me personally, I would never buy a bat unless I see it up-close at different angles. Moreover, he would not give you the weight that one would request instead he will give a range which I dont see is fair.

BTW, I asked for Kahuna Ricky Ponting, SF Sapphire, SG King Cobra pics in 2.7-2.8.

i think there is a lesson here for all forum users. if you are making a purchase from an online retailer - make sure you get images of the actual bat you are going to buy + ask as many questions as you see fit. if the retailer is unresponsive to questions or doesnt send the pictures - personally i'd never buy from them.

Cover Drive said:
SS bats are soft pressed which I don't think is a good thing because they will be finished in a short period of time.

CD - its not such a bad thing really if you are careful. keep the soft pressed bat as your match bat. The level and amount of cricket we play (only 3 months of the year) it can last you a long time if you are careful. dont use it in the nets all the time during the off season.

ca_gold said:
CD - its not such a bad thing really if you are careful. keep the soft pressed bat as your match bat. The level and amount of cricket we play (only 3 months of the year) it can last you a long time if you are careful. dont use it in the nets all the time during the off season.
Sounds fair. But yaar if you use a different bat each time then don't you get in a situation where you are not comfortable with each bat and you don't get used to to it?

However, I do agree with the fact that there should be a different bat for nets

A quick thing I will say on the SF bats, first off I have been told by a retailer (well known) that SF are made by the brother of SS? like what the?
SF is Stanford, that bloke who had a bank in the Caribbean I dont know if he's in jail now but he's no longer a billionaire.
www.stanford.in the site is very average in my opinion cant even get a profile of their bats.
I have picked up several SF bats in stores they are very thin for a given weight. with thin edges and a large spine. hope its not all SF, but these were expensive; sapphire, impressive and platinum.

The founder/owner of ss and SF are brothers. I am pretty sure SF is not owned by Stanford of Carribean. It is an Indian company all together.

I will have to agree with you on the fact that SF bats are thin. If one were to compare them to a Pkaistani brand then Pakistani brand easily wins the race. But having thick edges is not what you want in the bat. In other words, its not just about having thick edges. Sometime what batmaker doe s(mostly English) that they have thin edges but sweetspot is extended whereas in Asian sweetspot tends to be limited as more weight is being focused on the edges.

Have you guys seen BOOM BOOM equipment section is added to Ihsan sports website.But to be honest I have seen BOOM BOOM bats and even 5 star was pretty crap in comparison to Inferno and other Ihsan own models.

Majid_V3 said:
Btw Ali Bro, which bats/gear do you use and do u have any pictures of ur kit ?

Theres some pictures of my kit earlier in the thread but this is my kit -

Malik Sher, CA White Gold and Malik Super (had it for 7 years, love it)

Pads- Gunn and Moore Orignal lite

Gloves - Gunn and Moore 909, Kookaburra bubble 4 star

Helmet - Masuri

dhump said:
Have you guys seen BOOM BOOM equipment section is added to Ihsan sports website.But to be honest I have seen BOOM BOOM bats and even 5 star was pretty crap in comparison to Inferno and other Ihsan own models.
I saw it yesterday and was a bit surprisged as well. Even to me Boom Boom bats didn't look great. I love Boom Boom pads though. They look great in my opinion

Cover Drive said:
It's genuine...

Thanks for confirming that CD. Appreciate it buddy.

I was a bit worried coz the edges had 'MB'stickers and not the burnt in stamp.

Or is it that some bats are stamped and others have the sticker on them.

I think we need to stop promoting and move on with the actual discussions that the post is meant for.....let the people decide where they want to buy and what they want to buy.

Cricketismylife said:
Thanks for confirming that CD. Appreciate it buddy.

I was a bit worried coz the edges had 'MB'stickers and not the burnt in stamp.

Or is it that some bats are stamped and others have the sticker on them.
As I had explained you previously that some intial Bubber Shers were painted as stamped on edges whereas new ones are stickered.

By the way, my Bubber Sher is exactly like that as well.

Cover Drive said:
I saw it yesterday and was a bit surprisged as well. Even to me Boom Boom bats didn't look great. I love Boom Boom pads though. They look great in my opinion

Bats were not really high quality BOOM BOOM 5 star was about 18-19 K and it was nothing really special. I guess the money was all about the brand for the moment, I took pictures of both 5 star and 3 star form my mobile I will try to capture it and share it here.

Guys - a small request.

Can we keep the discussions focussed on the equipment side of things rather than plugging the individual retailers, and then arguing about those retailers?

Thanks

dhump said:
Bats were not really high quality BOOM BOOM 5 star was about 18-19 K and it was nothing really special. I guess the money was all about the brand for the moment, I took pictures of both 5 star and 3 star form my mobile I will try to capture it and share it here.
Oh okay. Yes, do upload them when you have a minute or two

Ive been told by someone who knows a willow supplier or is in the supply chain that there are higher grades of willow being produced lately then previous. they claim due to better breeding/species of trees.

But what I haven't been told is whether this means we will see more Grade 1 willow or if it means that cleft prices will go down. That's what we all want isn't it? cheaper, better bats.

Does anyone know much about the cane handle suppliers? Where it comes from, who makes them, what versions come from where and what the costs are?

Latest Ive heard is a cleft of willow is about £35 while handle is £9. I can't verify this so I'm hoping someone can share some information.

dhump said:

Seems like they want to cash in on their sponsorship branding(Spend heaps on players sponsorships, make a big brand image and make big $$$$ quickly) - Especially Afridi's name. Instead of selling 1000 bats sell only 100 and make the same profit. Personally I dont think its a good strategy but you never know.

Cant wait to see some pics.

bigfan said:
Ive been told by someone who knows a willow supplier or is in the supply chain that there are higher grades of willow being produced lately then previous. they claim due to better breeding/species of trees.

But what I haven't been told is whether this means we will see more Grade 1 willow or if it means that cleft prices will go down. That's what we all want isn't it? cheaper, better bats.

Does anyone know much about the cane handle suppliers? Where it comes from, who makes them, what versions come from where and what the costs are?

Latest Ive heard is a cleft of willow is about £35 while handle is £9. I can't verify this so I'm hoping someone can share some information.
The figures you gave are correct as I was told that it is around £30 for G1 cleft, few quids for handle whereas rest is totally profit for a batmaker.

I am not sure if this will result decrease in price. The reason is because of van of metyl bromide by EU. That will in long term (in my views) increase the price rather than decreasing it.

Cricketismylife said:
Seems like they want to cash in on their sponsorship branding(Spend heaps on players sponsorships, make a big brand image and make big $$$$ quickly) - Especially Afridi's name. Instead of selling 1000 bats sell only 100 and make the same profit. Personally I dont think its a good strategy but you never know.

Cant wait to see some pics.
Agreed! In the begining (first few months) the price is set high becaus if the hype. Some people would be desperate to get Boom Boom so they will pay anything. However, as time goes price will depreciate and match it's competitiors.

I have seen some of Boom Boom's and some top if the range were really stunning loooking and were beauty.

Cover Drive said:
The figures you gave are correct as I was told that it is around £30 for G1 cleft, few quids for handle whereas rest is totally profit for a batmaker.

I am not sure if this will result decrease in price. The reason is because of van of metyl bromide by EU. That will in long term (in my views) increase the price rather than decreasing it.

Do you mean ban? It's used as a pesticide for the willow when its growing right? Surely there is plenty of other compounds to replace it with.
I've been told willow prices are extremely favorable for growers in line with the exotics. so when Demand is high supply will follow.
I think it will be the bat-makers who determine prices, they can stockpile while supply is high (or lower prices).

Any info on the percentage of willow that is G1, G2 etc?

Cover Drive said:

Is this 30 quid in UK or in Pak(after transportation)?

Last edited:
assalamualaikum

hi everyone.. im salman from malaysia.. this is my first thread in this forum.. i've found that this thread is very informative.. last time i bought a bat, i refered to this forum..
so as an intro, i have 4 bats,

- my primary match bat is AS V3 bought from assport, sialkot (waqas was a very helpful guy), weight 2lb8, feels quite light, perform very good, 11 grains, but still havent done any six yet with this bat (only many fours)

- my second bat is WOODWORM hard drive bought from uk for 69pounds.. does not suit my playing style.. but perform ok.. its good for drive.. my first bat.. but still not convinced to use it as a match bat..

- third bat is KASEL odyssey.. malaysian bat, but made in india.. most malaysian players use this bat, but other range, mine is g3 bat.. used mostly for practise.. pls surf this page to know more about this company.. www.kaselsports.com..

- my most recent bat is SOLITAIRE made by roger weston in uk.. a very good bat, 9 straight grains, pings nicely, but the main probs is, i ordered 2lb8 (max 2lb10, as he cannot guarantee can achieve that weight).. i got 2lb14-15 (havent measured it yet).. so frustrating.. in malaysia, we dont have batmaker, and sending back this bat to uk will cost me some money.. so i just keep it... thats the risk of online shopping..

i am a student, so if i want to buy a bat, i have a very strict budget.. for my next match bat, im looking forward to purchase AS V10 from waqas.. hope the bat will perform much better than my V3.. so, thats all for now.. assalamualaikum

Boom Boom bat

Boom Boom Bat with wrap

Attachments

• boom_boom_cricket_bat1.jpg
    boom_boom_cricket_bat1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 143
  • boom_boom_cricket_bat_box.jpg
    boom_boom_cricket_bat_box.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 106
  • boom_boom_cricket_bat_edge.jpg
    boom_boom_cricket_bat_edge.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 114
  • boom_boom_cricket_bat1.jpg
    boom_boom_cricket_bat1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
bigfan said:
Do you mean ban? It's used as a pesticide for the willow when its growing right? Surely there is plenty of other compounds to replace it with.
I've been told willow prices are extremely favorable for growers in line with the exotics. so when Demand is high supply will follow.
I think it will be the bat-makers who determine prices, they can stockpile while supply is high (or lower prices).

Any info on the percentage of willow that is G1, G2 etc?
Yes I do mean a ban. Sorry for not being clear enough.

Actually it is used when clefts are imported to Pakistan, India etc.I am not too sure but its because of the amount of time it takes to transport the cleft so in that period of time that chemical is required. If cleft are without that chemical then people in Pakistan or India won't take the cleft at all.

The figure provided earlier is how much cleft cost the batmaker not the cleft owner

Not long about 6-8 days but the bats you ordered will take longer bcoz the bats are custom made to ur order.

One of the bats used today by the Australians v England in the 2nd ODI 24/06/10

Attachments

• DSCF0068.JPG
    DSCF0068.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 353
One of the bats used today by the Australians v England in the 2nd ODI 24/06/10

Attachments

• DSCF00614.JPG
    DSCF00614.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 272
Nice Bat Oxy.

You know what weight it was?

On a seperate note- whats the price of MB TIGER and CA POWER in Pakistan?

What are they like? Power looks like softly pressed bat.

Cricketismylife said:
Nice Bat Oxy.

You know what weight it was?

On a seperate note- whats the price of MB TIGER and CA POWER in Pakistan?

What are they like? Power looks like softly pressed bat.
Cricketismylife- Figuring out weight of the bat does get tricky. It basically narrows to your assumption.

As far bat goes arent they old?

Looks great! Once again great job Oxy Bhai!

The bat seems to be a real Kookaburra. Grains are nice aswell!

AA,

My Friend is looking for a bat his options are
CA12000 PLUS,
MALIK BUBBER SHEAR,
AS V3/V10

Can anyone tell current price if buying from UT sports?

Jazakallah kheer.
Ali

Cover Drive said:
Looks great! Once again great job Oxy Bhai!

The bat seems to be a real Kookaburra. Grains are nice aswell!

If the Aussie ODI arent using original Kookaburras, then we have problems!

Looked like a superb bat.

mufta77 said:
AA,

My Friend is looking for a bat his options are
CA12000 PLUS,
MALIK BUBBER SHEAR,
AS V3/V10

Can anyone tell current price if buying from UT sports?

Jazakallah kheer.
Ali

Ya I am ordering a few from UT this week as well so recently got their prices.

CA 12000 PLUS RS 13500
MB BUBBER SHER RS 9000

Dont know abt v3 and v10 sorry. Ya do bargain and he will drop prices.

cricketer13 said:
Ya I am ordering a few from UT this week as well so recently got their prices.

CA 12000 PLUS RS 13500
MB BUBBER SHER RS 9000

Dont know abt v3 and v10 sorry. Ya do bargain and he will drop prices.
I think V3 is somewhere around Rs. 8000

My Friend will be going tomrrow to UT i'll ask him to let us know:)

Thanks Guys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back