Questions Regarding Cricket Equipment (Bats, Pads, Gloves etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BoomBoomAli said:
yeah but that means he is sponsored by a different company now, woodworm probably got rid of him after his ban
Uhmm not really. Woodworm and CA are sort of partners. For example, if you look at CA's website you will find a link to Woodworms wesite as well

Cover Drive said:
Good pick Oxy Bhai. Just out of curiosity how much did you pay for it? And how did he like it?

Cost was £30, but I got it for a bargain £11 from Argos!!! Its Indian Willow, natural. I oiled it.

If it lasts 1 season, I'll be happy.

Hes not that great at batting TBH - but he loves it as do his friends who thinks it looks amazing

Cover Drive said:
Uhmm not really. Woodworm and CA are sort of partners. For example, if you look at CA's website you will find a link to Woodworms wesite as well

yeah but thay are separate entities in their own right, woodworm wouldnt want to be paying a guy who isnt playing

BoomBoomAli said:
yeah but thay are separate entities in their own right, woodworm wouldnt want to be paying a guy who isnt playing
Well yeah. But I believe when you are not playing international cricket you don't get paid by sponsors whatsoever. For example, I remember when Yousuf went to ICL his bats became blank so offcourse he didn't get paid for that.

By the way, I was looking at Yousuf's pictures and I concluded that he used CA bat with Powerbow stickers on them.

Oxy said:
Cost was £30, but I got it for a bargain £11 from Argos!!! Its Indian Willow, natural. I oiled it.

If it lasts 1 season, I'll be happy.

Hes not that great at batting TBH - but he loves it as do his friends who thinks it looks amazing
£11 is peanuts even though it's Kashmiri Willow.

Well for that age kids they generally go after look of the bat as the wood doesn't matter to them whatsoever. They especially like this specific model because KP uses this and they go wild.

Is the weight and everything else of the bat alright for your son?

BoomBoomAli said:
yeah but that means he is sponsored by a different company now, woodworm probably got rid of him after his ban
Shoaib Malik is now sponsored by CA now and he was using CA PLUS 12000.

Cover Drive said:
Well yeah. But I believe when you are not playing international cricket you don't get paid by sponsors whatsoever. For example, I remember when Yousuf went to ICL his bats became blank so offcourse he didn't get paid for that.

By the way, I was looking at Yousuf's pictures and I concluded that he used CA bat with Powerbow stickers on them.

yeah, its down to personal preference, doesnt matter to the sponsor thy just want their name on the bat. yousuf probably sent the bat to gray nicchols and they applied stickers to it.
razzaq was using an as with boom boom stickers, afridi probably had his bubber sher with stickers too, do these guys not make bats (boom boom)?

BoomBoomAli said:
yeah, its down to personal preference, doesnt matter to the sponsor thy just want their name on the bat. yousuf probably sent the bat to gray nicchols and they applied stickers to it.
razzaq was using an as with boom boom stickers, afridi probably had his bubber sher with stickers too, do these guys not make bats (boom boom)?
Could be whereas sometimes the players are sent stickers by sponsor and they apply themselves. When they do that they tend to hide the stamps especially on edges and trace of original batmaker. However, sometime you can tell whether the bat is original stickered bay or not by looking at the shape and profile of the bat.

The Razzaq's bat of which I posted pictures couple of days ago had shape of a genuine AS bat whereas the grip, edges etc looked of AS even though he had Boom Boom stickers on.

When sponsor player change there sponsor 80% of chances are they will be using previous bat with new stickers.

If you had a close look at Afridis bat yesterday you could have noticed it was MB bat as it had MB stamp on the edges which was hidden by two "O" Boom Boom stickers. Whereas shape/profile seemed to be of Bubber Sher LE as well

I am not too sure who makes Boom Boom bats but as far Boom Boom soft goes they are made by Ihsan and I am 100% sure about that fact. So I would be assuming bats are made by Ihsan as well.

Cover Drive said:
Omair Bhai, how are you liking your first ever Newbery bat? :D

I actually have two now....ordered Krakatoa a few weeks ago but my cousin has conveniently taken it.

The one I bought off ca_gold feels really good, however, I haven't played with it yet.

It has a really light pick up with a perfect balance. It is bottom heavy but with the light pick up, it is almost negligible.

I will use it in the nets this weekend and will give you a review.

How is your Krakatoa going? Have you played any games with it yet?

I am using Ihsan Inferno since 2 games I feel its a bit on too heavier side, any tips to get used to play with heavier bats ?? I think my shots are getting lazy.

xkalibur80 said:
I actually have two now....ordered Krakatoa a few weeks ago but my cousin has conveniently taken it.

The one I bought off ca_gold feels really good, however, I haven't played with it yet.

It has a really light pick up with a perfect balance. It is bottom heavy but with the light pick up, it is almost negligible.

I will use it in the nets this weekend and will give you a review.

How is your Krakatoa going? Have you played any games with it yet?
Ohh when and from where did you order Krakatoa from? Also which one was it (5 Star, Players, SPS)?

GT, is pro shaped bat and it is one of the best bat in Newbery's range. If I buy a Newbery again then it will be GT for sure!

Nope, wanted to try yesterday but because of the rain I didn't as it would damage the bat.

dhump said:
I am using Ihsan Inferno since 2 games I feel its a bit on too heavier side, any tips to get used to play with heavier bats ?? I think my shots are getting lazy.
What's the weight of your Inferno 850?

Cover Drive said:
Ohh when and from where did you order Krakatoa from? Also which one was it (5 Star, Players, SPS)?

GT, is pro shaped bat and it is one of the best bat in Newbery's range. If I buy a Newbery again then it will be GT for sure!

Nope, wanted to try yesterday but because of the rain I didn't as it would damage the bat.

It's the player's edition and I got one of my relatives to bring it for me.....my cousin will probably keep it since I bought the GT.

I haven't paid for the bat yet so it's all good :))

Cover Drive said:
£11 is peanuts even though it's Kashmiri Willow.

Well for that age kids they generally go after look of the bat as the wood doesn't matter to them whatsoever. They especially like this specific model because KP uses this and they go wild.

Is the weight and everything else of the bat alright for your son?

Its perfect. Hes 11. He loves it. It wont get much use from the sweet spot as he'll rarely find it!!

Newberry Krakatoa is one of the finest looking bats out there.

Yasir Arafat is using one at the moment - looks stunning!

Oxy said:
Its perfect. Hes 11. He loves it. It wont get much use from the sweet spot as he'll rarely find it!!
Oh okay. As long he is liking it then whatelse do you want.

Oxy said:
Newberry Krakatoa is one of the finest looking bats out there.

Yasir Arafat is using one at the moment - looks stunning!
Oh Arafat is? I never knew he was using a Newbery. I always thought he used Bubber Sher as the last time I saw him playing for Pakistan he was using that one. I guess when they come to UK they always buy Englisg bats especially Newbery. I also know Rana Naved uses Newbery.

Oxy Bhai, you have got good sharp eyes :D

Cover Drive said:

Oh Arafat is? I never knew he was using a Newbery. I always thought he used Bubber Sher as the last time I saw him playing for Pakistan he was using that one. I guess when they come to UK they always buy Englisg bats especially Newbery. I also know Rana Naved uses Newbery.

Ok that's just an insult of the bat.....

Yasir Arafat' Newberry Krakatoa - 13th June 2010

Apologies for photo quality - didnt have my proper camera, so had to use my mobile's camera - which I detest!

Attachments

• DSC00205.JPG
    DSC00205.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Cover Drive said:

Someone mentioned bats to me a few days ago ;-) , so I thought I'd keep an eye out for them...

Looks great! SPS is it!

Ahh that's so kind Oxy Bhai! Your cellphone picture quality is great as well. JazakALLAH Khair Bhai :D

What other bats did you see in the dugout?

Seems like another dropout from MB Malik's sponsorship. Arafat is now sponsored by Newbery :D:D

I really like Newbery now so am thinking of getting a pair of pads as well (Newbery Test or higher). Newbery is one the finest batmaker and there softs are one of the best in the world.

cric_fan82 said:
who makes newbrry bats? also SS?

The late John Newberry used to - by hand!!! I remember seeing photos of him making them in The Cricketer magazine in the 1980s.

Now its his protege, Tim Keeley

Last edited:
Cover Drive said:
Seems like another dropout from MB Malik's sponsorship. Arafat is now sponsored by Newbery :D:D

I really like Newbery now so am thinking of getting a pair of pads as well (Newbery Test or higher). Newbery is one the finest batmaker and there softs are one of the best in the world.

from watching county cricket for the past few years, in county games arafat has always used newberry bats...
he uses MB or MB stickers in international games..

ca_gold said:
lol CD you mean you will get SS softs?

Nope! Newbery :D

cric_fan82 said:
who makes newbrry bats? also SS?

Newbery itself. They are not Indian made. They are made in UK

Oxy said:
The late John Newberry used to - by hand!!! I remember seeing photos of him making them in The Cricketer magazine in the 1980s.

Now its his protege, Tim Keeley

That's absolutely correct.

I think Newbery are still handmade as the sticker on there bat says.

BoomBoomAli said:
from watching county cricket for the past few years, in county games arafat has always used newberry bats...
he uses MB or MB stickers in international games..

Ohh okay. Perhaps Goodwin gets a good deal for Sussex players :D

Last edited by a moderator:
ca_gold said:
CD - join a team so you can actually use your equipment!
Did it will be hoping to try Newbery on Sunday (if conditions are dry otherwise GN or plain bat)

Newberry is one of those bats that you or I could get.

If you can afford it, you visit the factory & get a handmade bat made for you made exactly to your specifications. The bat you get is of the same standard that a Lara or Tendulkar would demand

Always dreamt of one as a kid....

Oxy said:

If you can afford it, you visit the factory & get a handmade bat made for you made exactly to your specifications. The bat you get is of the same standard that a Lara or Tendulkar would demand

Getting a Newbery custom is really hard. If you have good terms with Tim or anyone at Newbery then you could get a custom made according to your specification. However, a normal person like me can keep on dreaming for a custom Newbery.

However, Oxy Bhai I am pretty sure off the shelf Newberys are handmade as well.

Cover Drive said:
Did it will be hoping to try Newbery on Sunday (if conditions are dry otherwise GN or plain bat)

are you playing edcl this year - 20/20?

Cover Drive said:
However, Oxy Bhai I am pretty sure off the shelf Newberys are handmade as well.

Most definately - I believe Tim has a few 'master-batsman' makers working for him.

They make plenty of unstickered bats for the top players - who then badge them according to their latest sponsorship deal

what division are you playing in EDCL?
Thurxton SPS will be here Sunday as well.....

Oxy said:
Most definately - I believe Tim has a few 'master-batsman' makers working for him.

They make plenty of unstickered bats for the top players - who then badge them according to their latest sponsorship deal
Yup! Sounds quite true.

I think the reason why you don't see many international players being sponsored by Newbery is because of money factor. They can't afford much to pay them top dollar. But everyone even players know Newbery is one of the finest batmaker along Screaming Cat, Laver Wood, Warsop, M&H etc.

Oxy Bhai, what another batmaker(s) interest you?

Oxy said:

Oxy bhai arrange a PP Tour in August - I'll come

i think theres enough people here to start a PP team in Canada - that should play a match against the UK pp'ers.

ca_gold said:
what division are you playing in EDCL?
Thurxton SPS will be here Sunday as well.....

Like seriously.....it's slightly heavier than other NEwbery one's right?

Cover Drive said:
Yup! Sounds quite true.

I think the reason why you don't see many international players being sponsored by Newbery is because of money factor. They can't afford much to pay them top dollar. But everyone even players know Newbery is one of the finest batmaker along Screaming Cat, Laver Wood, Warsop, M&H etc.

Oxy Bhai, what another batmaker(s) interest you?

Ive just realised that once upon a time, I was actually seriously into bats.

Pre-internet of course!

Manufacturers that interested me then were Newberry, Duncan Fearnley (Magnum), Ihsan, Slazanger (V100)

xkalibur80 said:
You play with Naveed?
Yes, Naveed Bhai (Naveed Ali).

How do you know him?

xkalibur80 said:

Nope, wouldn't say that. In fact, I would say it's lighter when comparing to Krakatoa as it's sweetspot it positioned high-midish. Again it all depends on the weight you get. Ofourse if you get heavy weight then it will be heavy and vice versa

Oxy said:
Ive just realised that once upon a time, I was actually seriously into bats.

Pre-internet of course!

Manufacturers that interested me then were Newberry, Duncan Fearnley (Magnum), Ihsan, Slazanger (V100)

Have heard good things about Duncan Fearnley. Mind telling bit about it?

I still see V100 in my club (older players have them) and those bats are still going like gun!!

xkalibur80 said:

its actually a bit more evenly balanced. that doesnt make it better or worse then other models, just depends on how you play. but yes, the sps bit is the most exciting. your welcome to come take a look after work next week if you want.

ca_gold said:
its actually a bit more evenly balanced. that doesnt make it better or worse then other models, just depends on how you play. but yes, the sps bit is the most exciting. your welcome to come take a look after work next week if you want.

I shall....get your guys for next week, we have to play!

Cover Drive said:

How do you know him?

!!

Naveed is on our roster as well in T&D.....we have just spoken over the phone but yet to meet in person.

Cover Drive said:

How do you know him?

Nope, wouldn't say that. In fact, I would say it's lighter when comparing to Krakatoa as it's sweetspot it positioned high-midish. Again it all depends on the weight you get. Ofourse if you get heavy weight then it will be heavy and vice versa

Have heard good things about Duncan Fearnley. Mind telling bit about it?

I still see V100 in my club (older players have them) and those bats are still going like gun!!

Greatest bat I ever used was a Slazenger V100.

Walked into a cricket shop - saw it -picked it up. Thought, 'man, thats light' - played 1 imaginary shot with it - it flowed like a dream. Looked at the 'bow' of the bat.

And bought it there and then. About £60 (in 1990-91 ish)

This was the badging/styling of their range at the time.

_41737090_antigua_richards203.jpg

A friend had the heavier V12 (with a pronounced 'hump') behind the 'sweetspot'

xkalibur80 said:
Naveed is on our roster as well in T&D.....we have just spoken over the phone but yet to meet in person.
Oh okay. He is also playing for you guys?

What's your team name?

By the way, Naveed Bhai has a good collection of bats as well.

Oxy said:
Greatest bat I ever used was a Slazenger V100.

Walked into a cricket shop - saw it -picked it up. Thought, 'man, thats light' - played 1 imaginary shot with it - it flowed like a dream. Looked at the 'bow' of the bat.

And bought it there and then. About £60 (in 1990-91 ish)

This was the badging/styling of their range at the time.

_41737090_antigua_richards203.jpg

A friend had the heavier V12 (with a pronounced 'hump') behind the 'sweetspot'
As I mentioned earlier few of my club mates have V100 and it still goes like a bullet.

£60 of that time is quite expensive.

It's quite shame to see how Slazenger has declined. Back then I would say they were one of the best makers an Slazenger was really famous. And now? It's dry like a desert.

Oxy Bhai, how heavy were those bats?

This is a great thread, lots of really useful information.

Ive got 4 bats atm, 2 puma's (royal crown circa 2004 & ballistic 5000 Im still knocking in) and 2 woodworms I picked up 18 months back when the store went bankrupt (1 is good a hard drive the other the globe is average) I did have a mean MRF i got through someone from India, but I foolishly didn't knock it in well enough and used Indian balls on it and it broke massive crack up the face.

Im interested in getting another good bat id like to hear what you guys have to say about certain bats. Such as the SS professional, SS ranger, SG sunny and SG Phoenix.

Do any of the above bats come in the 2.7-2.9lb range? I love light bats but I hate their lack of hitting power. Im a bit of a slogger and I really get a lot more power out of the bigger bats. Ive used a GM icon a couple of times for some big sixes.

bigfan - where abouts are you located? based on your playing style - i cant recomend BAS enough. I used to bat with an SG Maxxum 5 as well. SG make great bats - though BAS is about the best indian branded bat i've used. SG being a close second. you will find bats in the 2'7 - 2'9 range - you just have to shop around a bit. also , it really does come down to pick up and balance as well. I find the BAS bats much more balanced then SS bats (very bottom heavy) in my opinion.

Bigfan, yo can get SS and/or SG bat(s) in 2.7-2.9 lbs range. However, as ca_gold bhai said I would recommend you to get BAS bat as they are the best in my opinion (if you are going for Indian brand). As he said BAS bats are very well balanced as there sweetspot is positioned high to mid or mid when comparing to SS whose are mainly low middle which makes pick up a bit heavy whereas the bottom hand gets heavy as well.

Where are you located? If you are in UK then the best place would be uzisports.co.uk

Hope it helps!

If you have anyother question please don't hesitate in asking

I'm looking to get a third bat soon. As some of you who've been on this thread since it's beginning might already know - I've got an (extremely) thick Bubber Sher, and a custom-made bat (but with Puma Ballistic stickers on it).

Recommend a bat for me, anybody? All games in our league are played on Astroturf. I already have one slogging bat (the Bubber Sher) and one stroke making bat with immense ping (the custom bat).

I'm a very aggressive batsman by nature and only place a few balls around for singles and doubles before I start hitting. My reaction isn't too quick at all so I guess I need a light bat (?).

Great!

Personally I would recommend you to buy an AS V3 or AS V10. I haven't used this bat but I have seen and held one and from that I was really impressed with this bat. I find this bat both for stroke making and/or slogging. It has got really long sweetspot which allows you to hit proper strokes whereas the spine runs all the way to the toe area. Pricewise AS V3 is really good (not sure about AS V10 as it is relatively new in the market)

Is there any specific brand/bat/model in your mind?

Cover Drive said:
Great!

Personally I would recommend you to buy an AS V3 or AS V10. I haven't used this bat but I have seen and held one and from that I was really impressed with this bat. I find this bat both for stroke making and/or slogging. It has got really long sweetspot which allows you to hit proper strokes whereas the spine runs all the way to the toe area. Pricewise AS V3 is really good (not sure about AS V10 as it is relatively new in the market)

Is there any specific brand/bat/model in your mind?

cheaper made handles - hence the price point. wouldn't get an AS V3 unless it was made infront of me.

Thanks for the replys.
Im not sure where Im going to buy from yet, uzisports seems well recommended so i'll check them out.

I actually prefer bats with only 5 grains as apposed to ones with 10 or more they seem to have more hitting power. Does that make it not a grade 1 cleft if its only got 5 grains even if they are straight? I see ALOT of GM, GN, Kookaburra's etc that only have 4/5/6 grains selling as top of the line. does it make them lighter or heavier?

What actually make the weight of the bat? how much does the handle play a part in the weight? can you get a thick edged bat that weighs less than a thin edged bat? Is it more important for power to have thicker edges and a smaller spine or small edges and a big spine? or is just the weight of the piece of willow?

Also I'm a believer that a good batsman can bat well with any bat. So when I training I purposely use different bats, pads etc to get out my comfort zone. But I still try and use my kit in the game.

bigfan said:
Thanks for the replys.
Im not sure where Im going to buy from yet, uzisports seems well recommended so i'll check them out.

I actually prefer bats with only 5 grains as apposed to ones with 10 or more they seem to have more hitting power. Does that make it not a grade 1 cleft if its only got 5 grains even if they are straight? I see ALOT of GM, GN, Kookaburra's etc that only have 4/5/6 grains selling as top of the line. does it make them lighter or heavier?

What actually make the weight of the bat? how much does the handle play a part in the weight? can you get a thick edged bat that weighs less than a thin edged bat? Is it more important for power to have thicker edges and a smaller spine or small edges and a big spine? or is just the weight of the piece of willow?

Also I'm a believer that a good batsman can bat well with any bat. So when I training I purposely use different bats, pads etc to get out my comfort zone. But I still try and use my kit in the game.
No worries!

Uzisports is a very good place to buy your equipment as Asad Bhai there is top bloke.

Uhmm it is a bit difficult to get a 5 grainer bat in Grade 1 cleft as higher grades are usually classified by grains. Are you sure the GN, Kook, GM etc you saw were top of the line?

Grains has nothing to do with weight or anything in particular.

Handle makes up a big amount of weight whereas rest is wood. Slight weight is of grip, stickers, toeguard etc.

Thickness of a bat is usually attained because of the cleft. Batmakers usually use dried willow to make thick edged bats. Some bat (Traditional English in this case) have thin edges but have really long sweetspot and that same thin edge bat weighs more or same as a thick edged bat.

However, what also make a bat feel lighter in your hands is pickup and balance of a bat. If it is good then a 2.10 bat will seem to be a 2.8 in your hands

Cover Drive said:
Know lots of people who have AS V3 and are pretty happy with them with no problem whatsoever.

good for them boss. i dont rate them - but each to his own. :ibutt

One Plus point in AS V-3

Cover Drive said:
Know lots of people who have AS V3 and are pretty happy with them with no problem whatsoever.

Uzair Bahi One Plus point in AS V-3 is cheaper then its other competitors

Cover Drive said:
It's quite shame to see how Slazenger has declined. Back then I would say they were one of the best makers an Slazenger was really famous. And now? It's dry like a desert.

Oxy Bhai, how heavy were those bats?

Mine was 2lb 3oz - thats featherlight by todays standards

Slazenger has a big image issue. In UK, they are perceived as a cheap brand because they are stock by a retailer called 'Sports Direct' who specialise in 'cheap & cheerful'

NO self-respecting cricketer would consider being kitted out in Slazenger anymore.

At the top of the range, I imagine their bats are still fantastic - but perception is everything these days

I recently saw a County cricketer using a Paradox bat. Didnt pay much attention TBH.

Oxy said:
I recently saw a County cricketer using a Paradox bat. Didnt pay much attention TBH.

But my camera did!

Mark Cosgrove uses a Paradox!

Attachments

• DSCF0103.JPG
    DSCF0103.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Wow, the Paradox bat is going on top of my priority list :))

But, anyway - jokes aside, Uzair, what else do you recommend other than the V3 and the V10? What weights do they come in?

asfandyar said:
I want to buy an MB Malik Bubber Sher bat. Where can I buy one in Karachi, and what will be its cost?

you can buy online direct from Sialkot @ 13000PKR

Last edited:
ca_gold said:
cheaper made handles - hence the price point. wouldn't get an AS V3 unless it was made infront of me.

Price is irrelevant to how handle is made, if it was then CA 10000 LE is more money then CA12000 plus so does this mean they use cheaper made handles for 12k plus?

I have used CA, MB, and AS and AS is not much different from the first two. If you use cheap balls then off course your bat won't perform up to the mark.

cricket_fan1 said:
Uzair Bahi One Plus point in AS V-3 is cheaper then its other competitors
Yes, it is indeed!

Oxy said:
Mine was 2lb 3oz - thats featherlight by todays standards

Slazenger has a big image issue. In UK, they are perceived as a cheap brand because they are stock by a retailer called 'Sports Direct' who specialise in 'cheap & cheerful'

NO self-respecting cricketer would consider being kitted out in Slazenger anymore.

At the top of the range, I imagine their bats are still fantastic - but perception is everything these days

Nowdays it is really hard to find a good bat in 2.u unless it is really low density willow

Yes, I am aware of Sports Direct. One of my friend (Majid_V3) bought Slazenger twins from them and even though they were top of the range according to him they played poor and weren't great!

Oxy said:
But my camera did!

Mark Cosgrove uses a Paradox!

He is sponsored by Redback. Another finest batmaker (Gary). I really like there bats and they are awesome from top to toe they are very meaty. I was about to get that instead Newbery but the paymet method of Gary gave me a backseat. InshALLAH in future it is to look out for.

Paradox said:
Wow, the Paradox bat is going on top of my priority list :))

But, anyway - jokes aside, Uzair, what else do you recommend other than the V3 and the V10? What weights do they come in?

Redback is one of the best bat your money can buy.

Whats your budget mate?

What weight are you looking for?

Uzair bhai do you have any info on the specs of these bats i.e weight, grains etc

Opener said:
Uzair bhai do you have any info on the specs of these bats i.e weight, grains etc
Not too sure about the specs. However, on Sky they said he uses 2.10ish so am not sure how precise it is.

Sorry not sure about grains either but I am assuming they are high grained bats as professional wants the bat that will reliever soon. They won't take out time to knock the bat so these players like Afridi, Pollard etc would have maximum ping bat. That's what I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back