[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Quinton de Kock - South Africa's legendary white ball batter

Aman

Test Captain
Runs
Easily the best young talent playing cricket today.

He's been impressive since debut had some issues early on with kicking on after starts, but has done well so far in the series against India to go on with things.

He has the potential of being SA's first to make a double in ODI's imo.

Last edited:
Quinton de Kock - SA great in the making?

Word has it that after the Sri Lankan tour where he failed against spin, he's spent more time during practice than anyone else in the team. Still has a bit to work on in terms of his keeping, but the work ethic is definitely there for him to become a great keeper/batsman.

Seems like a good player. Still has some way to go before he can be labelled as a future great though.

He's a treat to watch and it is great to see a youngster with such hunger for runs, I mean just look at his conversion rate!!!. Regarding him being a great for SA, I don't know but if he continues to put in the hard yards and performs like he is then I don't see whats stopping him.

Let the kid play without terming him as potential great or ATG etc.

The kid has a lot of heart and always tries hard, I saw disappointment in his eyes after getting out yesterday even though he scored a ton, the kid will go far, he has the eye of the tiger and all that.

Let the kid play without terming him as potential great or ATG etc.
I hate labeling players so early in their careers, but he has all the ingredients to be a great servant for SA cricket.

SA fans should be disappointed if he doesn't finish as a SA great, whether he can be a ODI great is another story.

I hate labeling players so early in their careers, but he has all the ingredients to be a great servant for SA cricket.

SA fans should be disappointed if he doesn't finish as a SA great, whether he can be a ODI great is another story.

I personally know some one in his extended family and he chatted about him. Kid is very hungry to do well. He wants to learn and practices very hard. All the right ingredients to do well. I will like him to improve against spinners though. Even in UAE , I spotted him trying to play his release slog shot rather than play the ball on merit.

Good thing is that he is only 20 years old and very hungry to learn and improve. I will let him play without putting any expectations of great or ATG etc because it's not possible for everyone to handle such pressure.

i expect this kid to score 200 in an odi!

Forget his batting, he is quite easily the best wicketkeeper I have seen since Ian Healey.

time for Q de Kock to announce himself on world stage...

A good innings against Aussies (with MJ in form of his life) will do wonders for his batting.. Can he become the next big thing in SA?

Quinton is a master class , still young and has a long way to go

:bow: Absolutely clobbered Sri Lanka...This guy could be ABDV 2.0..AB started as an opener too!

Didn't watch this innings! Hopefully will catch it on youtube later.. Kid's got talent.. Has clobbered centuries against all sub continental teams!

Is de kock the next gilchrist and is he a THREAT to kohli's odi century tally?

gilchrist is obviously the greatest wk batsman ever and de kock has a long way to go before he matches him in test cricket, but in odis, he is about to score his 11th hundred already and this is only his third year as a regular player.

Gilchrist scored 17 in his whole career. At this rate de kock will surpass his tally in no time and probably become the first south african batsman to score 30 odi hundreds at this rate.

how far off is he to becoming gilchrist's heir and where would you rank him as wk batsman today compared to sarfraz and bairstow?

in tests he hasn't hit his peak yet but he has shown good signs recently such as his hundred vs england and it is only a matter of time before he becomes a game changing player in tests as well.

another interesting aspect to think about is how big a threat is he to kohli's odi centuries tally?

Kohli with 25 hundreds is well ahead of other batsman of today except amla and de villiers but age is not on their side. they probably won't make it to 30 hundreds.

it has been long assumed that kohli will challenge if not break tendulkar's 49 centuries record, but can de kock, who is 5 years younger and scores hundreds even more frequently challenge/surpass him?

gilchrist is obviously the greatest wk batsman ever and de kock has a long way to go before he matches him in test cricket, but in odis, he is about to score his 11th hundred already and this is only his third year as a regular player.

Gilchrist scored 17 in his whole career. At this rate de kock will surpass his tally in no time and probably become the first south african batsman to score 30 odi hundreds at this rate.

how far off is he to becoming gilchrist's heir and where would you rank him as wk batsman today compared to sarfraz and bairstow?

in tests he hasn't hit his peak yet but he has shown good signs recently such as his hundred vs england and it is only a matter of time before he becomes a game changing player in tests as well.

another interesting aspect to think about is how big a threat is he to kohli's odi centuries tally?

Kohli with 25 hundreds is well ahead of other batsman of today except amla and de villiers but age is not on their side. they probably won't make it to 30 hundreds.

it has been long assumed that kohli will challenge if not break tendulkar's 49 centuries record, but can de kock, who is 5 years younger and scores hundreds even more frequently challenge/surpass him?

meh, don't think so.
His 'highs' are very high. And his 'lows' are even lower. He needs to find consistency. Potential is there as it takes a good temperament to convert those 50's to 100's. He's very good at that.

Having said that, this was a 3rd string bowling attack that he's slaughtered today. Pattinson, Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc, Coulter-Nile, Faulkner and Siddle.
7 injured bowlers. Its literally a third string attack.
Let's not get carried away.

Australian attack was weak. But still to butcher the bowling like this, Hit Zampa 3 Sixes in a row and almost chase down on his own is special effort.

Fabolous knock.Brilliant chase from De Kock.

178 of 111 is a real big deal and not many can do so.

Very consistent this lad & when he gets going, can dominate any attack

I was at a Tandoor 5 years ago, when I saw a 19 years old Baby faced left hand batsman who immediately clicked my Cricketing eyes.

The Tandoor owner has a habit of gambling on T20 matches ;-)

Today Quinton De Cock is 24 years and 17 days old and has 14 international hundreds against his name. At a similar age Kohli had 15 International hundreds.

For me he is the best left hand batsman of World Cricket at the moment and soon He will be amongst top 3 Test batsman. For me he is amongst Top 4 Odi batsman at the moment and is the best Wicket keeping batsman playing International Cricket at the moment.

At the Similar Age Kohli averaged 40 in 11 Tests with 2 hundreds. Quinton has played 14 Tests and he averages 51 with 3 hundreds.

By the same age Kohli averaged 51 in Odi Cricket with 13 centuries in 90 Odis with a SR of 86 while Quinton has played 69 Odi's and he averages 44 with 11 hundreds at a SR of 95.

A great player in the making provided he maintains his work ethic and remains on the right track.

Surely the second best batsman In the world after Steven Smith at the moment.
He is not scoring so big because he comes at 7 but now crucial his innings are!

Scores runs when matter most.. seriously exciting prospect.

Pretty good player; But overrated here on PP. I personally don't like him.

Pretty good player; But overrated here on PP. I personally don't like him.
No one cares if you don't like him.

Rabada and QDK are two players from the modern era who are very capable of becoming ATGs.

Last edited:
One of the best IMO - better than the FTB like Warner, Guptill, Sharma etc.

South Africa need to keep him down at #7 or #6 where he can be destructive against the old ball and a hopefully tired bowling attack. Promoting him too high up will deprive him of the freedom to attack.

One of the best IMO - better than the FTB like Warner, Guptill, Sharma etc.
Guptill and Sharma don't play Tests... ODI's are mostly played on flat tracks but Guptill has proven himself when the wickets have had something to offer. The 180 he recently scored was on a difficult wicket where the ball didn't come onto the bat.

If he's batting this well, it would be a good idea to take the gloves away from him.

What surprises me most is he makes runs when all the other batsmen are having hard times

Already played a pivotal role in iconic away win; something many players can't claim their whole career

Early days for QdK but the signs aren't good... his record in ICC tournaments so far reads:

11 matches
254 runs
2 fifties
average 25
strike rate 75

:amla

Early days for QdK but the signs aren't good... his record in ICC tournaments so far reads:

11 matches
254 runs
2 fifties
average 25
strike rate 75

:amla
QdK isn't a choker, he'll fix those numbers over time.

QdK and Faf are the only true SA batsmen I trust under pressure. However, QdK's relative lack of experience and Faf's lack of skill have proved detrimental so far. QdK will come good with time though, too good a player not to. He is no Amla.

QdK and Faf are the only true SA batsmen I trust under pressure. However, QdK's relative lack of experience and Faf's lack of skill have proved detrimental so far. QdK will come good with time though, too good a player not to. He is no Amla.

Whatever you're hoping for the future, he's a big time choker so far.

Whatever you're hoping for the future, he's a big time choker so far.

He can chase big totals and has more fight in him than Amla and de Villiers. He will come good with time.

Enough time for him to turn it around and not be another choker. Not the best of stats so far though.

Hasn't impressed me in this series. Seems like a gun batsman on true, flat wickets but not so much against lateral movement. Promotion to 4 did not work out.

Hasn't impressed me in this series. Seems like a gun batsman on true, flat wickets but not so much against lateral movement. Promotion to 4 did not work out.

I've never like QDK as a player ever since he debuted. He's very overrated especially on this forum.

I think he should bat #6 in Tests. It's too soon to jump to conclusions on the basis of this series since the batting unit has been misfiring as a whole.

Last edited:
Too rash for Tests. Don't get him yet.

He's failed on this tour, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he's a mighty talented batsman. I think the South African tactics have been fairly muddled, and that's putting it kindly, and shunting him around the batting order hasn't helped him. Nonetheless, there are a few technical deficiencies that he needs to work on over the next few months before the SA home season begins in earnest when India tours.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man for South Africa, QDK hits form and fifty in crucial time against USA in WC super 8 encounter.

He is definitely one of the top 2 Limited overs batsman ever from SA.
He has done better than ABD in tournaments but overall AB has a bigger legacy.

He is a bit of weak bowling bully. Good batsman overall but far from being termed as great. Failed in all World tournaments except WC 2023.

He is a bit of weak bowling bully. Good batsman overall but far from being termed as great. Failed in all World tournaments except WC 2023.
In the last tournament he has done enough, that was easily SouthAfricas best ever Worldcup campaign.

Their batters lit the tournament on fire led by Dekock.

In the last tournament he has done enough, that was easily SouthAfricas best ever Worldcup campaign.

Their batters lit the tournament on fire led by Dekock.

SA's best campaign was 1999 WC. Then there is 1992 and 2015. 2019 isn't their best tournament, SA have had several qualifications to semi finals in past and convincingly as well. His failures in other World tournament can't be ignored just because he performed in one of them.

For me, Miller is the main guy under pressure situations, he is the real deal and deciding factor for South Africa 's success. Qdk? Not much.

SA's best campaign was 1999 WC. Then there is 1992 and 2015. 2019 isn't their best tournament, SA have had several qualifications to semi finals in past and convincingly as well. His failures in other World tournament can't be ignored just because he performed in one of them.
List down how many centuries their batsman made in all those world cups and then compare with this one.

All of the other world cups combined hundred tally won’t reach this number. This was definitely SouthAfricas best ever world cup campaign especially for the batsman.

Stats and facts will beat nostalgia every time.

He has done more in one tournament than any other SouthAfrican ever did as a batsman so yeah that counts for a lot.

List down how many centuries their batsman made in all those world cups and then compare with this one.

All of the other world cups combined hundred tally won’t reach this number. This was definitely SouthAfricas best ever world cup campaign especially for the batsman.

Stats and facts will beat nostalgia every time.

He has done more in one tournament than any other SouthAfrican ever did as a batsman so yeah that counts for a lot.

Its openers job to hit tons. What's a big deal. He choked in semis as usual vs Australia where Miller played a fabulous knock.

No, he has not done better than Klusenar, ABD, Miller, Gibbs and Kallis in World tournaments overall. Not everyone gets a World tournament format to play where you get to play all 8 teams in league games.

Before 2023 WC, he was the worst SA batsman to play in World Cups, even worse than Amla.

Quinton de Kock has surpassed Australian legend Adam Gilchrist for the most runs by a wicketkeeper in ICC events.

B6EWx4t.png

De Kock is the 4th best keeper-batter in 21st century (after Gilchrist, Dhoni, and Sangakara).

Its openers job to hit tons. What's a big deal. He choked in semis as usual vs Australia where Miller played a fabulous knock.

No, he has not done better than Klusenar, ABD, Miller, Gibbs and Kallis in World tournaments overall. Not everyone gets a World tournament format to play where you get to play all 8 teams in league games.

Before 2023 WC, he was the worst SA batsman to play in World Cups, even worse than Amla.
QDK is the biggest choker i have seen. Even while keeping under pressure he chokes. One of the biggest choking moment of his career. 16 balls 23 needed. 6 down NZ. this would have made 7 down. The guy he gave chance to eventually finished them off with a thundering six against Steyn. Then later in final over missed a direct hit at striker end.

Steyn to Elliott, 2 runs
Slower ball, short of a length, soft hands into the leg side, he rushes back for a risky second, and de Kock has missed him. De Kock is up to the stumps, Rossouw's throw is accurate, but a little too full. De Kock's gloves close early, he doesn't collect the ball, removes the bails with Elliott miles outside the crease

Back