Rewind to the 1992 England vs Pakistan Test series... Bad blood, balls and botches

emclub

T20I Debutant
Runs
Purely in terms of money, the 1992 Pakistan tour of England was, at the time, probably the most lucrative staged. Crowds flocked to the five Tests and five ODIs and takings exceeded the Test & County Cricket Board's expectations, even though three of the Tests did not go into a fifth day.

But it also left a bad taste in the mouth that was to linger for years, with England, especially the tabloid press, murmuring all summer about what they claimed was ball-tampering on the part of Pakistan's fast bowlers, while the Pakistanis took out their frustration on the umpires, both on and off the field.

The series, the first since the infamous home-and-away affairs in 1987 that plunged cricket to a nadir with the Shakoor Rana-Mike Gatting affair, was supposed to be a fence-mending affair. The absence of Gatting, serving a ban for leading a rebel side to South Africa in 1989-90, spared some potential embarrassment. But there was still no shortage of those willing to fan the flames, and England's defeat in the World Cup final in March remained an open sore.

From the off, Pakistan believed they were being dealt an unfair hand by the TCCB in regards to the umpiring, and they had a point. A sensible move would have been to use England's most experienced officials, but the board picked eight different umpires for the five Tests. Bizarrely, John Holder, who had stood as a neutral in Pakistan's 1989-90 series against India and was trusted, was not one of them. Dickie Bird and David Shepherd, the big guns, were also barely used. Pakistan had been accused of this in 1987-88 and it was hard not to feel the English board was extracting some revenge. Either that or they were guilty of almost unbelievable naivety.

An odd, unloved and unrepeated format saw the five Tests sandwiched between the second and third ODIs, ensuring interest never really built for the limited-overs games. England won the first two ODIs, the second ending with an almost inevitable squabble between Javed Miandad and Ian Botham, when Miandad claimed Botham had sworn after dismissing him. It set the tone.

The opening Test, at Edgbaston, was a rain-blighted draw, and then Pakistan won a thrilling game at Lord's by two wickets. But under the surface, tempers were simmering. They all boiled over of the fourth evening of the third Test at Old Trafford.

Roy Palmer, in his first Test, had infuriated the Pakistanis after giving Ramiz Raja leg-before following an at best half-hearted appeal. Perhaps his bigger crime was to be the younger brother of Ken Palmer, the man who Pakistan had vehemently taken objection to in 1987.

When Aaqib Javed let fly a bouncer too many at the hapless Devon Malcolm, Palmer stepped in with a warning for intimidatory bowling. As Palmer went to hand Aaqib his sweater, replays showed it got tangled in his belt, but Aaqib reacted with disproportionate anger, which cost him 50% of his match fee. "I shouldn't have said anything," he later admitted, "but as a fast bowler you get worked up over these things."

Malcolm, meanwhile, was unhurt, although his pride was dented when match referee Conrad Hunte referred to him as being "one of the worst No. 11s in Test cricket".

As Pakistan's captain, Miandad might have been expected to step in to calm things down. Instead he inflamed the situation, openly arguing with Palmer. "Had Imran Khan been captain then, the whole situation would probably have been better handled," Aaqib said. Their manager, Intikhab Alam, hardly helped either, telling anyone who would listen that Palmer was "rude and insulting" and complaining the umpires "looked at the ball very frequently" when Pakistan were in the field.

Palmer suffered a torrid time throughout. "We appealed excessively throughout the match and he didn't like it," said Moin Khan. "We weren't happy, as we thought he was giving wrong decisions. Javed at one time threw his bat down in frustration, so things were boiling over."

In the fourth Test, where England levelled the series, Pakistan's suspicions about the umpiring had substance, particularly when Graham Gooch was run out by a yard at a crucial stage in England's first innings. The anger shown in England at the height of the 1987-88 tour was in every bit replicated back in Pakistan.

The crowd, which was predominantly Pakistani, harangued Merv Kitchen, the umpire concerned. "They went wild," recalled Derek Pringle. "They gave Merv a hard time." They also abused John Major, the prime minister, who was watching.

But by this time England had their minds on the way Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram were getting the old ball to reverse swing. They were particularly clinical when it came to blasting out England's tail. Mutterings became louder when Pakistan secured the series with victory at The Oval, Akram taking 6 for 67. Some said it was little more than sour grapes after a lost series.

"We didn't tamper with the ball," Aaqib said. "In any case, everyone reverse swings it now, so is it tampering? No, we just did it better than anyone else." Pringle supported that defence. "I didn't feel cheated. It was a special thing they had at that time."

England clinched the one-day series 3-0 with two to play, at Nottingham, but the lid came off during the fourth ODI at Lord's when Allan Lamb revealed to a tabloid newspaper that the umpires - John Hampshire and Ken Palmer - had changed the ball at lunch during the England innings. "I've blown the whistle on Pakistan's ball-tampering because they've been getting away with murder all summer. No one has been brave or honest enough to finger them until now." He went on to claim he had alerted the officials to alleged tampering.

A clearly blustered MCC secretary John Stephenson said the outcome of a hearing would be released quickly. What actually followed was a series of contradictory statements, described by Colin Bateman in the Daily Express as "either a mammoth cover-up or a mammoth mistake".

"In the darkness," noted Wisden, "further seeds of mistrust and animosity were sown for the future." Five days later - with allegations, counter-claims and threats to sue for libel still coming thick and fast - the ICC ruled the matter closed without either clearing or convicting Pakistan. To this day the ball has never been released for inspection by the authorities.

As Wisden reflected, "what heightened the atmosphere was principally the media coverage, and that of the British tabloids in particular. When Khalid Mahmood, the tourists' courteous but hard-pressed tour manager, said after the series: 'There is no hostility between England and Pakistan, only in the tabloid newspapers', he was close to the heart of the matter. Relations between the two countries have lacked understanding at most levels, but if the media coverage had been more restrained there would not have been the amount of controversy there was."

What happened next?
For speaking out and breaking his contract, Lamb was immediately fined an estimated £2000 and suspended for two matches by Northamptonshire; later, at a TCCB disciplinary hearing, he was fined £5000, with costs of £1000, the stiffest penalty of its kind in English cricket to date. This was reduced on appeal, but only to £4000 (half of it suspended for two years) and £500 costs http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/568506.html

That was one of the best Test series I have ever seen.

The intensity and the skill levels of Wasim and Waqar were just absolutely amazing. The sad fact was that nobody knew what reverse swing was back then, and immediately because it was something unique in the cricketing world, the finger of suspicion was raised against Wasim and Waqar.

When the 2 W's were reversing the ball, some referred to it as cheating, then when Darren Gough started to reverse the ball, they called it a skill.

Looking back, at the time Wasim and Waqar never got the credit they deserved and there were only a few in the media who actually appreciated how well the 2 W's bowled. Geoof Boycott of course said that "Wasim and Waqar could have bowled out England with oranges".

The Lords test was one of the most nerve wracking test matches I have ever seen. Wasim and Waqar saw Pakistan home....with the bat.

There was an undercurrent to that series and the umpiring was well below par.

The Gooch run out at Headingley was a disgrace. Literally everyone in the ground knew he was out but the umpire never gave the right decision.

Some great cricket was played, but some ugly scenes too.

The fact that the camera was on the ball at all times and you could see our bowlers constantly scratching the ball may have something to do with the bad blood. I remember when Aqib scratched the ball so hard that even old Richie was forced to comment.

I have to agree with Saj about the umpiring favouring England. The Lewis LBW at Old Trafford also sticks in the mind.

Still the best test series i've ever seen. The rivalry was threatening to spill off the pitch the entire series. I do believe part of it was Pakistan winning the World Cup Final against them

I'm too busy to elaborate but nearly every match England would come flying out of the blocks, they were a very powerful side. They would rattle along to a 150-170 for 1 or 2 on numerous occasions only to then get totally obliterated with the finest reverse swing bowling seen on camera in the space of 9 or 10 overs.

This would cause a lot of bad blood between the teams as England, who's workman like bowlers struggled to penetrate the Pakistani batting linep unless conditions favoured them.

That Pakistani team was well and truly box office and as they were in England for the full summer they were being followed all over the country with around a dozen games against the County sides. Even that script was the same as the test series. The amount of batsmen 'yorked' by Wasim and Waqar was ridiculous and Pakistan were just blitzing them with considerable ease.

One crazy tour which will be forever etched in my memory and the two W's were truly a sight to behold.

It was a brilliant series. There was great cricket, ball tampering,poor umpiring and to top it all the accusations of racism. A great drama indeed.

Another tour to England, another controversy but it was a truly memorable tour, Wasim and Waqar totally bamboozled the England batsmen. Indeed when Pakistani bowlers utilised reverse swing, it is cheating, when the England bowlers utilised it, it is skill, such blatant hypocrisy.

it was mainy the daily mirror and that pompous fascist cnut david frith, then editor of wisden i believe?

i can remember darcus howe defending pakistan and waqar/akram in particular on a tv debate

be nice if footage of that programme could be dug up - i forget the name of it, it might be something like devils advocate ???

incidentally, the same darcus howe who stood up for pakistan was abused and threatened by mindless brainless senseless classless pakistani origin yobs in walsall some years later

Last edited:
Another tour to England, another controversy but it was a truly memorable tour, Wasim and Waqar totally bamboozled the England batsmen. Indeed when Pakistani bowlers utilised reverse swing, it is cheating, when the England bowlers utilised it, it is skill, such blatant hypocrisy.

The Pakistanis were blatant with their tampering,if you watched the series you would know that the camera was on the ball at all times and they were scratching the ball continuously(at times me and my friends would actually count the number of times Wasim, Waqar and Aqib scratched the ball each over). England were subtle(and not so subtle as in the case of Atherton) with sweets and hair products. The moral of the story,reverse swing cannot be done legally.

When the 2 W's were reversing the ball, some referred to it as cheating, then when Darren Gough started to reverse the ball, they called it a skill.

W&W were cheating. We saw Aaqib gouging the ball in close up.

Two years later, Gough was reversing the ball. But then Atherton was caught with dirt in his pockets. After that, Gough bowled gunbarrel straight. Coincidence? Hardly.

Whichever way you look at it, reverse swing is cheating. These days, the players have got more crafty and doctor the ball in ways which the camera won't pick up. Remember the Ashes 2005 and the Murray Mints?

Ball-tampering has always gone on and always will.

When Pakistan supporters take the moral high ground on ball tampering...................

Reverse swing can be done legally, it just depends on the outfield conditions, the ball and the bowlers ability to achieve it.
I don't think Pakistanis are trying to claim any high moral ground over the ball tampering issues, but looking back then it stinks of Hypocrocy and double standards.
I remember Michael Holding at the time saying Ball tampering was rife in English domestic cricket - why did the English media or Botham/Lamb not demand investigations in that regard ?

Anyway just to add this was the Test series that got me into cricket - not the 1992 world cup as we did not have Sky at the time. I just turned on BBC 1 one day and saw Waqar and Wasim Clattering the stumps during one Test match against England - never hardly missed any Pak Test match since.

Reverse swing is and will always be illegal. Everybody tries to do it, and obviously some are more successful than others.

You don't always have to tamper with the ball to achieve reverse swing. Tampering is when guys get desperate to prepare the ball. Other times, players can prepare it by just taking care of one side. Its a great skill IMO and makes the game of cricket more exciting and credit must be given to Pakistani bowlers for pioneering this art. I don't rule out cheating on certain occasions but in the end it was a good thing for the game. Necessary evolution. Now you have even under-19 bowlers reversing the ball.

Seen a lot of clips of the 1992 series. Looks a fascinating series really. Must have been a great experience for you senior guys. :)

Last edited:
After the series, one Australian writer(cannot recall his name) went on to say in one of his articles after the series <<< Law-makers(you know who) tamed West Indians by banning bouncers, would they now introduce steel-toe(safety shoes) for batsmen to counter the toe crushing yorkers?

As for as the series is concerned, English umpires were just too patriotic and really gave Pakistan a hard time, i'd remember the series for Wasim and Waqars partnership in Lords and Waqar consistently owning Hick, before the series, i rated him high and Nick Knight wouldn't get out in ODIs man! Anyone remember Sohail's double?

Tampering or no Tampering, its up for debate but Pakistan showcased best display of fast bowling.

I remember Michael Holding at the time saying Ball tampering was rife in English domestic cricket - why did the English media or Botham/Lamb not demand investigations in that regard ?

Ball-tampering has always gone on and the English umps policed it. Some got caught, some did not.

However in 1992 we had:

Previous bad blood + racism + victim mentality + WC92 final = BOOM!

It can be done legally but when its legal it just tails in a little, not the banana swing we see when its illegal.

Banana swing got little to do with ball condition and more to do with wrist position, release and bowling action. Read bout how Waqar used to change his action for new and old ball.

Isn`t that the same Waqar that actually got caught tampering in the late 1990`s, maybe he should have just trusted his wrist. If you watched the 92 series Waqar was constantly scratching the ball,why did he not rely on wrist. The fact is that legal reverse swing isn`t effective but the banana reverse swing is.

I didn't see that series , only few clips.
This was my favorite.
[utube]6O5rVGc3XfY[/utube]

^ Another of those patriotic decisions. :nasser

Terrific delivery.

Last edited:
Ball-tampering has always gone on and the English umps policed it. Some got caught, some did not.

However in 1992 we had:

Previous bad blood + racism + victim mentality + WC92 final = BOOM!

victim mentality? you talking about Beefy cow here? or Lamby?

Last edited:
Isn`t that the same Waqar that actually got caught tampering in the late 1990`s, maybe he should have just trusted his wrist. If you watched the 92 series Waqar was constantly scratching the ball,why did he not rely on wrist. The fact is that legal reverse swing isn`t effective but the banana reverse swing is.

Not sure what exactly you mean by legal and illegal reverse swing LOL but Waqar bowled his famous inswingers in his first home series against WI(Late 80s, some dismissals from that series were used by Wills to promote their brand on Tv), download his inswingers to Gus Logie and Dessy from that series, Waqar was a noob by then and had little understanding of reverse swing, forget his international career, he bowled banana inswingers in a domestic (they used to call it Wills Cup) cup final where he almost won the game by smacking consecutive boundries(Imran picked him right after that match), so before you go on to discredit his bowling as "illegal", i'd suggest do your homework and stop making false claims. Thank you sir

Last edited:
Was he not caught tampering with the ball in a tournament?

Still doesn't explain that it helped him reverse it better than others, i just showed you that he always bowled those deliveries and ball tampering have nothing to do with it, if you got anything to back up your ridiculous claim that Waqar only got that exaggerating swing cause of condition of the ball and while you at it, please explain the difference between legal and illegal reverse swing, i still cant get my head around it!

I am confused with your reply. If a guy has tempered with the ball off course its going to make a difference(if its not going to make a difference, why would he risk his reputation). Legal reverse swing is when the ball roughs up due to natural wear and tear. Illegal reverse swing is when bowlers use external help, nails, sweets, hair products.

Last edited:
Echoing Robert here, I have never understood the furore over ball tampering. If any teams supporters say their bowlers have never tampered with the ball they are lying or naive.

Happens all the time English press just doing what they do, being whining Poms. :D

I am confused with your reply. If a guy has tempered with the ball off course its going to make a difference(if its not going to make a difference, why would he risk his reputation). Legal reverse swing is when the ball roughs up due to natural wear and tear. Illegal reverse swing is when bowlers use external help, nails, sweets, hair products.

Make up your mind buddy:gul:gul:gul:gul:gul

Last edited:
Excellent read ... wish I had been around to see this series live.

Echoing Robert here, I have never understood the furore over ball tampering. If any teams supporters say their bowlers have never tampered with the ball they are lying or naive.

Happens all the time English press just doing what they do, being whining Poms. :D

lol happens all the time.so why dont everyone gets caught in this age of cameras n all?wat a stupid claim.

lol happens all the time.so why dont everyone gets caught in this age of cameras n all?wat a stupid claim.

Tendulkar and Dravid got caught right?

Atherton?

Afridi? Who came out and said it happens all the time after that too.

Broad/Anderson - not caught but suspicious.

Mints in the Ashes 2005?

The general views of ex players when commentating? Michael Holding "every bowler tampers with the ball" etc etc

It does happen all the time, I couldn't care less whether you think its a stupid claim.

I made it up 20 yrs ago.

Not really dude, i responded to your posts cause i thought you were confused bout reverse swing.

First you claimed that bowlers could only bowl banana swing cause of condition of the ball and i told you how Waqar could bowl those deliveries in his early days(before too, i gave you an example) and Pakistani bowlers in particular have bowling actions suited for reverse swing and Waqar in particular swung it better cause of his freak ability and not only cause of the condition of the ball. Hope that helps and if it doesn't, i'm sorry, google is there for in-depth studies. :wasim

Tendulkar and Dravid got caught right?

Atherton?

Afridi? Who came out and said it happens all the time after that too.

Broad/Anderson - not caught but suspicious.

Mints in the Ashes 2005?

The general views of ex players when commentating? Michael Holding "every bowler tampers with the ball" etc etc

It does happen all the time, I couldn't care less whether you think its a stupid claim.

naming a few players (some only suspicious as u say) means everybody does it?

the question remains,why doesnt everyone caught with modern techhnology?surely media wouldnt ignore it just like that if it happens

That reverse swing cannot be achieved legally is a rubbish claim, one would have to be completely lacking knowledge of reverse swing to say that.

To say Waqar's 'banana' late swing in particular was done illegally is also wrong. Two key points - Slingy bowling action, very round arm. Slingy actions increase the reverse or late swing, already common knowledge. Waqar's action being very round arm in addition to that is what further amplified his reverse swing. Not too hard to understand because a round arm action naturally angles the ball into moving away from the batsman approaching him, the late in-reverse swing coupled with that is what then ultimately creates the 'banana' effect.

I take it that you didn`t watch the series in 92. I watched every ball and the camera was on the ball all the time. The ball was being scratched at least a couple of times every over by the bowlers. If they scratching isn`t important why did they do it. If Waqars action allowed reverse swing maybe he should trusted it and not scratched it.
iframe>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/4757911/Waqar-suspended-for-ball-tampering.html

And its not just Pakistanis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/1511763.stm

who mastered legal reverse swing though {Lets see how long this troll lasts for, lies dont take you that far**, with all the cameras, attention, they were reversing it more than they did in England, wonder how they did it LOL

naming a few players (some only suspicious as u say) means everybody does it?

the question remains,why doesnt everyone caught with modern techhnology?surely media wouldnt ignore it just like that if it happens

You are the first person I have seen challenge the prevailing view that ball tampering happens all the time. Perhaps it happens less now with the cameras - but certainly in the era this thread was about it was prevalent. If you want to argue otherwise go for it but I doubt you will find much support.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> in 1992. Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis at their best as Pakistan won a brilliant Test match at Lord's by 2 wickets. The 2 Ws took 13 wickets in the match and shared a crucial 46-run partnership to take Pakistan to victory <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/5oLCuQEzCc">pic.twitter.com/5oLCuQEzCc</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1274658566683668480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The fact that the camera was on the ball at all times and you could see our bowlers constantly scratching the ball may have something to do with the bad blood. I remember when Aqib scratched the ball so hard that even old Richie was forced to comment.

Yep.

Then the ball that was changed, which disappeared forever into the Lord’s vaults.

The Gooch non-run-out at Headingley amazed me. He was out by at least a yard.

Something dodgy about a lot of things in that series.

But some brilliant performances too - Stewart’s 175* and then 80* carrying his bat. W&W with the ball, and with the bat in that incredible finish at Lord’s. Waqar scared me that series, as Marshall had done in 1984.

I am glad 90's, 00's and '10s are gone with all their fixing, tampering, biting, pitch dancing, scratching, under performing, secret oath taking, infighting, uncouth PCB chairmen, poor security to teams, favoritism, injustice, playing at home in soul destroying UAE, and much more.

Yet, it took no gloss away from Pakistani cricket's many achievements for which we are grateful.

Can't wait for Misbah-era to be over for a complete break from the past and to an exciting tomorrow.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Imran Khan at Lord's during the England versus Pakistan Test match in 1992 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/GcmEcm2VuE">pic.twitter.com/GcmEcm2VuE</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1274690850128265218?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 21, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

First ever match I remember watching on a TV screen as big as a box of chocolates
Thrilling end to the match, surreal even but it was that kind of year

Waqar was the biggest beneficiary of ball-tampering in history. His skills with the untampered ball were nowhere near Wasim or Imran’s, but with the tampered ball he was probably the most dangerous ever.

You have to wonder if Waqar would have had a great career without tampering.

He did sort of reinvent himself at the end of his career, and his bowling in England in 2001 with the new ball was brilliant, but the bulk of his wickets in the prime of his career (1989-1993) came with tampered balls and mentally scarred county batsmen who were scared of him.

Yep.

Then the ball that was changed, which disappeared forever into the Lord’s vaults.

The Gooch non-run-out at Headingley amazed me. He was out by at least a yard.

Something dodgy about a lot of things in that series.

But some brilliant performances too - Stewart’s 175* and then 80* carrying his bat. W&W with the ball, and with the bat in that incredible finish at Lord’s. Waqar scared me that series, as Marshall had done in 1984.

Actually think the best batsman in that series was Smith, absolutely fearless and seemed to relish taking on the fast bowlers, as was his wont throughout his career.

Actually think the best batsman in that series was Smith, absolutely fearless and seemed to relish taking on the fast bowlers, as was his wont throughout his career.

He did well in the ODI series. As I recall, Mushtaq kept getting him out in the tests. He only scored well in the last test IIRC.

He did well in the ODI series. As I recall, Mushtaq kept getting him out in the tests. He only scored well in the last test IIRC.

Scored a century in the first test too at Edgbaston.

Had a great battle with Waqar throughout the series which he recounted in his book last year, about how Waqar told him that he wanted to kill him.

Waqar was the biggest beneficiary of ball-tampering in history. His skills with the untampered ball were nowhere near Wasim or Imran’s, but with the tampered ball he was probably the most dangerous ever.

He did sort of reinvent himself at the end of his career, and his bowling in England in 2001 with the new ball was brilliant, but the bulk of his wickets in the prime of his career (1989-1993) came with tampered balls and mentally scarred county batsmen who were scared of him.

Agreed, I think he's a bit overrated. Marginally meets the ATG criteria in my opinion.

Scored a century in the first test too at Edgbaston.

Had a great battle with Waqar throughout the series which he recounted in his book last year, about how Waqar told him that he wanted to kill him.

Ah ok, I don’t think Waqar played in the first test though.

In the last test he was left high and dry when Tufnell sloped in and said “Are they fast?” Judgy wrote that he decided to bat to protect his average at that point...

That insane banana swing does not seem possible without tampering.

That insane banana swing does not seem possible without tampering.

Agreed.

I think Waqar would have got wickets if he bowled gunbarrel straight though. He was so fast, and accurate and got lift.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> in 1992. Pakistan beat England by 10 wickets at The Oval. Wasim Akram took 9 wickets in the match and Waqar Younis took 6, as Pakistan won the 5 match series 2-1.<br>Those were the days.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/9YbkBZrO3x">pic.twitter.com/9YbkBZrO3x</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1292379805044944899?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 9, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The series was only 2-1 and close because there was no neutral umpires at that time Pakistan had a bowling attack that was too good and some of the administrators, media did not like the fact and were clinging onto the past. One of the matches England won because Gooch was no were near his crease and was given not out.... when clearly he was out.

The best reverse swing ever...at high speed. The media tried to tarnish it but years later when Gough and others could do it, it became an art form...…

Shame the team did not live up to expectations for the next decade, with Waqar, Wasim, Mushtaq's and Shoaib... Inzamam, Yousaf, Razzaq the team should have been easily the best in the world. Defo best bowling attack. Was held back by internal squabbles and maybe some dodgy dealings.... Real Shame.

Australia were known as the best but in a fair battle, Pakistan had the best team.
Warne, Mcgrath…. v Wasim, Waqar and Mushtaqs Pak bowling was better.
Batting Aussie just pipped it.

Anniversary of the Aaqib-Roy Palmer incident!

==

It's a fair bet that Aaqib Javed and umpire Roy Palmer don't exchange Christmas cards, and though their quarrel wasn't up there with Mike Gatting v Shakoor Rana, it was pretty unedifying nonetheless. As the Old Trafford Test between England and Pakistan drifted away on the fourth evening, Aaqib decided to spice things up by working over Devon Malcolm with a barrage of bouncers. He was officially warned, and at the end of the over, Aaqib complained that Palmer had handed him his sweater with what the Wisden Almanack described as "more emphasis than usual, probably because it was caught in his belt". Aaqib's captain, Javed Miandad, didn't help matters at all. Nor did the match referee Clyde Walcott, who was decisive only in his indecisiveness.

Thirty years ago.

Wasim and Atherton put all this nonsense to bed in the 1996 series.

Wasim and Waqar were unplayable in that series, Englands tail started at number 4 so they were always going to run through englands batting.

Waqar and wasim winning the lords test with the bat was nerve wracking.

The headingley test was a disgrace england had 13 players in test and were on next level cheating when it came to umpiring.

The hammering at the oval was a great way to win series. Never use to like the england cricket team back then.

Always remember mark Rampakash opening bowling for england in 2nd inns of that oval test :)))

What a series, had everything.

Great bowling of course, but also some great innings by Stewart, Gooch, Javed and Salim Malik.

I feel sorry for the kids that never got to watch this series live.

Biggest question is how can Aaqib Javed do intimidatory bowling?

i remember watching this series. This was one of the first of the neutral matches that satellite television in India started broadcasting. Being a big fan of pace bowling, Waqar and Wasim were box office & got diamond crazy swing. Some of the yorkers and reverse swing in that series was legendary.
I clearly remember one ball wasim bowled Left arm over it pitched about 7th stump outside the right handers off stump(either hick or stewart) but still swung and seamed so much that it went between bat and pad and over the ourter edge of his leg stump and the keeper - cant recall if it was Moeen or Latif had to dive full length to his left as it kept swinging more.
There was a shadow of always controversy in the air, the Eng newspapers were full of the cheating narrative but for me and my bro's we used to watch wide eyed at the skills of the two w's.
It was a fantastic competitive series. I guess its only after this series that the concept of reverse swing gained traction as it became apparent that this is possible after shining only one side of the ball and the conditions do the rest. Off course you need terrific skills to bowl at pace and I always felt the two W's were due an apology by the eng press /press on the whole for casting apprehensions on them as cheats or ball tamperers.

Biggest question is how can Aaqib Javed do intimidatory bowling?

Aqib could be pretty sharp at times. He wasn’t obviously anywhere near as quick as Waqar and clearly below wasim. But as we’ve seen with the likes of Wagner, you don’t have to be express to be able to cause problems with the short ball and Devon was one of the worst number 11s in the world.

Great series that had everything. Great bowling, batting and above all plenty off controversy! I remember seeing Javed Miandad posing with pretty blondes and Inzamam being called a "playboy!" by some newspaper! It doesn't get any more controversial then that!:inzi2 Our bowling was a class apart but the likes of Gooch and Stewart played very well too.

Last edited:
Back