Sachin Tendulkar - Mega Discussion Thread

MR__KHAN__JI

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Sachin has been playing cricket for a long time.... since he was 16....

This means that it must be very difficult to catch him in terms of runs scored.....

Based on the list attached.... (current players with over 4000 runs)....

Is there anyone in with a chance of catching him?

UPDATED at 28/5/11

Attachments

• Catch Sachin....xls
    147 KB · Views: 181
  • Catch Sachin....280511xls.xls
    149 KB · Views: 64
Last edited by a moderator:
Graeme smith and Alastair cook. No one else really.

At this time, I don't think so. Some prodigy will no doubt appear decades hence, though.

Cook will get 10,000 though.

Smith can. He has both form and age on his side. Even Cook can be a distant challenger provided he steps up his game. No team plays more Tests than England. Sachin might have started young but he hardly got a healthy number of games when he was at his best. I remember he got a shameful 3 Tests in 1994 or 95. People who started 7 years late, for ex. Dravid and Ponting, have almost caught up with him as far as No. of Tests goes.

Last edited:
Its doubtful.

1. Like you said, Sachin started at 16 and has played forever.

2. India play a LOT of matches.

3. He's played half his matches in India. Flat tracks galore. PS: Not saying he's a FTB.

4. T20. This means more IT20s, so less ODI's and Test matches.

5. IPL......

I have added current PAKISTAN "Youngsters" to the list.....

I have also added columns for innings per 50 and innings per 100.

Graeme Smith might have had a chance if he didn't keep breaking his fingers.

Its doubtful.

3. He's played half his matches in India. Flat tracks galore. PS: Not saying he's a FTB.

5. IPL......

SRT Test Matches
home 79 , Runs 6547, Average 56.93
away 95, Runs 7819 , Average 56.25

Cook ? dont make me laugh lol
started from a young age. If he starts averaging 50 (which could happen), he could overtake Sachin.

More likely to be smith though than anyone.

started from a young age. If he starts averaging 50 (which could happen), he could overtake Sachin.

More likely to be smith though than anyone.

I very much doubt that will happen...

SLightly unrelated but an interesting stat......

The following players get a 50 every 4 innings......

SM Katich (Aus)
TT Samaraweera (SL)
VVS Laxman (India)
S Chanderpaul (WI)
R Dravid (ICC/India)
JH Kallis (ICC/SA)

The following players score a century at least every 7 innings

SR Tendulkar (India)
RT Ponting (Aus)
KC Sangakkara (SL)
Mohammad Yousuf (Pak)
JH Kallis (ICC/SA)
V Sehwag (ICC/India)
DPMD Jayawardene (SL)
Younis Khan (Pak)
GC Smith (ICC/SA)
KP Pietersen (Eng)
AJ Strauss (Eng)

Last edited:
Its doubtful.

5. IPL......

Is the number of matches the only reason why Sachin is so far ahead? Before this year, the difference between Sachin and Ponting was only 400 odd runs and 4 centuries. Now at the end of 2010, Sachin is 2100 runs and 10 centuries ahead. He seems to have found a rich vein of form.

Last edited:
its going to be etched in the annals of the game forever. Much like Sir Jack Hobbs record of 61K first class runs and 197 centuries. Legend! :bow:

I dont see anyone coming anywhere close from the current set of players. Ponting/Dravid/Kallis will retire before Sachin, Smith & Sehwag are the best bets but I just dont see them scoring prolifically with enough consistency.

Looking at his form, Sachin could outlast the likes of Smith and Cook!

On a serious note, I don't think Sachin is done yet, we play a lot of test matches (and 80% of them away from home in SA, WI, Eng and Aus) in the next 15 months. Don't see Sachin going out before this cycle ends.

Only when he reitres, will we get to know whats the mountain the contenders have to conquer.

His ODI record will stand the test to time forever like Bradman's 99.9 avg in test....

Looking at his form, Sachin could outlast the likes of Smith and Cook!

On a serious note, I don't think Sachin is done yet, we play a lot of test matches (and 80% of them away from home in SA, WI, Eng and Aus) in the next 15 months. Don't see Sachin going out before this cycle ends.

Only when he reitres, will we get to know whats the mountain the contenders have to conquer.

But Don't you think Sachin Should Retire soon to give some other players to achieve some International Fame??

S. Badrinath one of the best in Indian Domestic Circuit still does not have any chance to play international cricket as because India's Senior players still hungry for more fame and money..

I think, Sachin Has Achieved all those things which he wanted to achieve. Not Only Him, Dravid, Laxman also needs to take themselves out of the team. Or India Can use the rotation policy to mix the experience and youth which will help the youth to gain a lot of experiences from the experienced guys..

Anyways, I don't think, Sachin Record can be broken especially his total International Runs will be too much to take over for other players. And In Modern Day cricket , I can't see there is enough scope for players to have a 20+ yrs Successful career.

Last edited:
Smith in 29 with 7300 test runs. I think he will finish on around 13,000.

Cook is aged 25 and has 4,300 test runs. He could have 100 tests left and it seems plausible that he will top out at around 14,000.

But Don't you think Sachin Should Retire soon to give some other players to achieve some International Fame??

S. Badrinath one of the best in Indian Domestic Circuit still does not have any chance to play international cricket as because India's Senior players still hungry for more fame and money..

I think, Sachin Has Achieved all those things which he wanted to achieve. Not Only Him, Dravid, Laxman also needs to take themselves out of the team. Or India Can use the rotation policy to mix the experience and youth which will help the youth to gain a lot of experiences from the experienced guys..

Anyways, I don't think, Sachin Record can be broken especially his total International Runs will be too much to take over for other players. And In Modern Day cricket , I can't see there is enough scope for players to have a 20+ yrs Successful career.

These guys are all scoring runs. Why should age be a factor as long as they are doing the job they have been asked to.

On them achieveing everything, well India becoming no 1 (even though most non-Indian don't agree with that ranking) has given them a fresh energy to carry on. These guys have toiled so hard and now that they have taken their team to no 1, why would they want to silently walk away and give other teams a chance to topple us?

On the rotation policy, we are doing exactly that in the ODIs, unfortunately not too many of our youngsters have been able to be consistent enough to put pressure on these legends. Kohli is on the right track and will be ready in an year's time if he can keep his focus and have a good work ethic. We pushed out Ganguly even when he was batting so well, but since then none of the options we have tried has been consistent and grabbed the opportunity yet.

Also what you need to consider is that everytime these legends have a sword hanging over them, they pile on the runs like VVS against the Lankans and Aussies or Dravid in the last series.

The way things are going , I feel Dravid will be the first to walk away, probably after the SA series. VVS and Sachin for sure will have a go in one more series in Australia in Dec 2011-Jan 2012.

I think Kallis has an outside chance.... if he has a really good year...

Graeme Smith has a chance if he plays enough games....

Cook could get close.... but needs to become more prolific.... he has a good base....

No-one else really has a chance.....

Just like Flintoff never won a match with the bat.

hehe good one, though flintoff was an allrounder only for england..for rest of the world, he was primarily a bowler who hit high only for an year..ordinary before, ordinary after...

hehe good one, though flintoff was an allrounder only for england..for rest of the world, he was primarily a bowler who hit high only for an year..ordinary before, ordinary after...

As far as bowling goes

Flintoff 226 wickets @ 32.78
Kallis 267 wickets @ 31.9

There are only two players in my eyes one player who have capability to match Tendulkar. Only if he starts using his head and common sense. He have every shot in the book, Age is on his side, he have impressed many. I hope he finds the right guidence and his cricket board is run by bafoons:ibutt UMAR AKMAL

Secondly this guy is going every where scoring hundreds and fifties like there is no tomorrow these days.
Hashim Amla

Last edited:
There are only two players in my eyes one player who have capability to match Tendulkar. Only if he starts using his head and common sense. He have every shot in the book, Age is on his side, he have impressed many. I hope he finds the right guidence and his cricket board is run by bafoons:ibutt UMAR AKMAL

Secondly this guy is going every where scoring hundreds and fifties like there is no tomorrow these days.
Hashim Amla

Too early to suggest the name of :umarakmal.....

But unless he plays we wont see him progress up the list....

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=111863

How many matches did Sobers win with the ball? I never saw him play....

Its pretty frustrating for fast bowlers. They bowl a ball at waist height to Sachin and the umpire calls it a wide because its over head-height for Sachin. So they try a yorker but Sachin pulls it to the midwicket fence with such lofty (don't make fun of his height) grace and elegance. Superb to watch. What a majestic batsman.

I think the number of runs you score is inversely proportional to how tall you are and directly proportional to how fat you are.

Anyways, anyone who comes even close to Sachin just can't handle the pressure once the comparisons start coming in. Imagine, "He's got the weight of Sachin on his shoulders!"
Or the snide remarks, "He stands shoulder to shoulder with Sachin!"

Nobody from this list will catch him but in future somebody for sure will break his records. All records are there to be broken, no record is unbreakable even Bradman's record also.

Cook and Smith will not come close to 12,000 test runs.

There is a very good chance that in coming decades T20 and ODI will take more matches away from Tests. So i doubt the test records set by Murli and Tendulkar will be broken in next few decades.
Australia and England plays probably most number of tests but very rarely some teenager players gets chance to play for these teams.

Hashim Amla

Umar Akmal?:))) comparing him to Tendulkar? That is the biggest joke of the century.

not in my lifetime. I think the number of runs he eventually retires with will stand the test of time just as Don's average will. I will be happy to be proved wrong on both accounts though

Tendu plays for records

A great player but not the greatest

In my eyes:selfish, cravan and not the greatest :)

Is the number of matches the only reason why Sachin is so far ahead? Before this year, the difference between Sachin and Ponting was only 400 odd runs and 4 centuries. Now at the end of 2010, Sachin is 2100 runs and 10 centuries ahead. He seems to have found a rich vein of form.

You are right about that. lots of home game

Well yea he must be wondering somewhere in Mumbai streets. Anyone can catch him.

AB de villiers is another one who is not so old and is coring a lot of runs as well. He is a strong contender

nobody will ever reach the heights this little fella has attained in international cricket.

he is a freak, a genius, a once in a lifetime talent.

nobody will ever come close.

Umar Akmal?:))) comparing him to Tendulkar? That is the biggest joke of the century.
Since u are laughing loud do some work check out the stats of Sachin for his first 13 matches
check out number of fifties and hundreds
check out average
check out the effect of his innings on the match
check out the condition

Remember Umar Akmal haven't played a single international ODI T20 or a TEST at home or in INDIA played well in Srilanka where he got his hundred. He have been playing in swinging and bowling friendly conditions.
I tell u wat though he is better and more stylish than Tendulkar when he came on International level. What about his future I don't know but I suggested his name because he is better player than any other international batsmen of his age. So when when Ramiz or any other says he is the big talent after a long time this is wat they mean . Now its up to him he got skills either he use them or end up like Mohammad Aamer thats his hard work his ambition but if he does it I ill prove all of ya wrong.

Last edited:
Since u are laughing loud do some work check out the stats of Sachin for his first 13 matches
check out average
check out the condition

Remember Umar Akmal haven't played a single international ODI T20 or a TEST at home or in INDIA played well in Srilanka where he got his hundred. He have been playing in swinging and bowling friendly conditions.
I tell u wat though he is better and more stylish than Tendulkar when he came on International level. What about his future I don't know but I suggested his name because he is better player than any other international batsmen of his age. So when when Ramiz or any other says he is the big talent after a long time this is wat they mean . Now its up to him he got skills either he use them or end up like Mohammad Aamer thats his hard work his ambition but if he does it I ill prove all of ya wrong.

OK I won't laugh, if you stop comparing him to any cricketer:) Umar Akmal is a flash in the pan. He is, what Afridi was 16 years ago, a wasted talent. Now I must admit, he is a good T20 player.

Last edited:
all the Akmal brothers - Kamran Adnan Rehman Irfan and Umar - COMBINED cannot make the runs :sachin has made!

quit dreaming!

check out average
check out the condition

Am I missing something? The only real bowling friendly conditions he's played on was the 2nd test in Australia and the 4 or 5 of the test matches in England, and he failed to pass 50 in all of them.

With any sport there is a physical talent as well as mental setup which results in weak/strong work ethic.

All the young players when they start they are hungry for runs/wickets and then slowly the parties/money/fame/girls starts getting to them. Some are affected a bit, others more while some are absolutely consumed by it.

Sachin had loads of talent when he started but the way he has kept going for so long is beyond imagination. He is still hungry for runs and his work ethic is and always has been in the top bracket.

To prove my case in point Umar Akmal and Virat kohlis of today already act on the field as if they have made 30,000 runs. However much talent they have I can see them already having egos bigger then Mount Everest. Such ego normally results in shortening of careers as we are already seeing with Umar.

To be fair to such players it is a very hard thing to do. With people treating you as god (when you are a teenager) almost always goes to your head. If I hit a good score at my club I feel like a tough SOB for a month! lol.

Because of all this ethic (and resulting fitness) he has managed to play a lot of games as well. Lots of talented careers have been cut short by injuries etc.

All these factors and not to forget some luck - very hard for all these to happen again.

Not everyone plays for records like Tendulkar.

Yes and making 100s in test is not going to help the team at all. I think this explains Pak not crossing 300 before YK and Misbah came in the team. I think Pak batsmen dont play for records :afridi

Ricky Ponting should have a solid year and a half to two years after Sachin retires to try and catch up to him in tests. He could do it if he hits a rich vein of form. Beyond that, Kallis has a chance (btw I would say this is a matchwinning effort with the ball for him: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64041.html) and among the younger players Cook, Amla and AB all could do it but they have a long way to go

Ponting deserves to over take Sachin. He has been the captain as well which makes life tough in the middle. With so much responsibility on his shoulder he has saved australia many times from crisis situations and also played match winning innings. Also got the title "Sir Ricky Ponting" in my books. :bow:

I think a new player should start his career in his home country and its pakistans bad luck we cant provide this to our youngsters.Umar akmal has done well keeping in mind that he has not played in his country yet , so has fawad and azhar ali. These guys will take some time to start giving their best.Bowling friendly or not a foreign pitch is a foreign pitch and takes some experience to get adjusted to. I wish cricket comes back to pakistan in next three years and we can provide our youngsters this opportunity to play in their home country.

Ofcourse not. Thats another point, you have to play for THAT LONG, at that high level. People can do it for a year, maybe, even 10. Again adding to the impossibility of the task.

:kami will catch him don't you worry...

Seriously though, probably Cook has the best chance of catching up with him of the current lot.

Although i think it will be a 'new kid' who hasn't made his "entry" into international cricket yet. So Sachin's record is there to stay for decades...

sehwag & greame smith look to be likely contenders

sehwag has become very consistent over the last 2 years and hits a 70+ score almost every match these days with a few huge ones squeezed in between. and sehwag was the 2nd fastest to 7000 runs in tests & is well on his way to become fastest to 8000. if sehwag can maintain his consistency, then tendulkars record could well be history. even tendulkar has himself said that he would like to see an indian batsman break his records

greame smith has over 7500 runs @ age 29 only. and among batsmen < 30 years of age, no one else has even 5000 runs. if greame smith plays for another 8 years atleast till he is about 37-38, he can break tendulkars records getting to almost 16000 runs (assuming 1000 runs/year)

Yaar, he may be a short dude but woh koi cricket ball hain jo catch karega !

Any decent batsman who plays as many matches as sachin should beat all his records.....Bradman average & Afridi fastest 100 records will stay for ever

Ponting deserves to over take Sachin. He has been the captain as well which makes life tough in the middle. With so much responsibility on his shoulder he has saved australia many times from crisis situations and also played match winning innings. Also got the title "Sir Ricky Ponting" in my books. :bow:

How many crisis situations has Ponting saved Australia from after Mcgrath, Warne, Gillespie, Hayden, Langer retired ? See that sorry a** side Ponting is captianing now ??? SRT during the 90's & early 2000's played with even less resources but was still getting props as the best bat going around, thats the difference....Ive said this before and say it now; The Bunny isnt even fit to carry SRT's shoe laces let alone touch the great man's record...

Last edited:
Amla or AB are my best picks. But seriously I don't think either of them will get near him.

Any decent batsman who plays as many matches as sachin should beat all his records.....Bradman average & Afridi fastest 100 records will stay for ever

sehwag has hit a 33-ball 100 in some indian domestic match once and symonds has a 34-ball 100 in 20/20

really?so Steve Waugh wasnt a decent bat?he had lesser runs n tons after 168 tests.

why cant Afridi's record be broken with increasing T20s its become more possible.already been done in domestics,can be in intl. criket too.just needs to someone have a great day,not a great career

Bradman's average will stay I agree

Back