South Africa (621) defeat Sri Lanka (396 & 180) by an innings and 45 runs to win the 1st Test

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Anew captain and fresh bowling attack – South Africa are going through a lot at the moment as they prepare to host Sri Lanka for a two-match Test series, beginning on Boxing Day.

Overview

South Africa v Sri Lanka, first Test
SuperSport Park, Centurion
Saturday, 26 December – Wednesday, 30 December, 10.00am local time, 8.00am GMT

The last time the Proteas played Test cricket, they had Faf du Plessis leading and Vernon Philander spearheading the bowling attack. This time, there's no Philander – the veteran pacer calling time on a short, yet brilliant career – and du Plessis is no longer leading the side.

To add to that, Kagiso Rabada is out with a groin injury and Lungi Ngidi is racing against time to be fit for the first Test. This leaves South Africa with a rather depleted bowling attack with Glenton Stuurman or Miguel Pretorius set to make a debut.

Pretorius has 20 wickets in five first-class games in the domestic four-day competition and is the third highest wicket-taker. He was, however, a late addition to the team with Stuurman possibly ahead in the pecking order.

Sri Lanka Team engaged in practices at the Centurian Park ahead of its 1st Test vs South Africa.

On the batting front, they have in-form guys with Aiden Markram, the opener, averaging 77.71 with three centuries in the domestic competition. He is the second highest run-scorer in the competition this year.

Sri Lanka, on the other hand, are without Angelo Mathews on this tour. The middle-order batting strength takes a major hit with his absence. Oshada Fernando is also unavailable for the first Test with a hamstring injury.

Suranga Lakmal also has a hamstring niggle and might have to sit the first one out. Dasun Shanaka and Kasun Rajitha are frontrunners to replace him if ruled out.

Remember the last time:

It was a historic series win for Sri Lanka the last time they came down to South Africa. They became the first Asian side to win a Test series in the country and it came on the back of superlative individual performances with bat and ball. The Proteas are formidable at home, but sine 2018, they have lost 12 Tests while winning just nine in their backyard.

Quinton de Kock (South Africa captain): "The guys are looking for a long-term leadership role. I won't be doing that. There does seem a lot on my plate but I am quite happy to do it for now."

Dimuth Karunaratne (Sri Lanka captain): "Last time we came to South Africa we didn't have many options – Lahiru Kumara and Dushmantha Chameera weren't here. This time we do have that strength, and we will need it."

Teams:

South Africa (Playing XI): Aiden Markram, Dean Elgar, Rassie van der Dussen, Faf du Plessis, Quinton de Kock(w/c), Temba Bavuma, Wiaan Mulder, Keshav Maharaj, Anrich Nortje, Lutho Sipamla, Lungi Ngidi

Sri Lanka (Playing XI): Dimuth Karunaratne(c), Kusal Perera, Kusal Mendis, Dinesh Chandimal, Dhananjaya de Silva, Niroshan Dickwella(w), Dasun Shanaka, Wanindu Hasaranga, Vishwa Fernando, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara

Sri Lanka have won the toss and have opted to bat

Lutho Sipamla will make his Test debut in the first of the two-match, Betway Test series against Sri Lanka at SuperSport Park in Centurion today.

The twenty-two-year-old will become Test cap number 111 for South Africa.

Glenton Stuurman has not been medically cleared for action after suffering a niggle during practice this week.

Sri Lanka won the toss and elected to bat first.

Proteas squad for the first Betway Test vs Sri Lanka
Quinton de Kock (captain, Momentum Multiply Titans), Temba Bavuma (Imperial Lions), Aiden Markram (Momentum Multiply Titans), Faf du Plessis (Momentum Multiply Titans), Dean Elgar (Momentum Multiply Titans), Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Momentum Multiply Titans), Rassie van der Dussen (Imperial Lions), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Wiaan Mulder (Imperial Lions), Lutho Sipamla (Imperial Lions).

Wicket for trundler Ngidi. After this, he'll be injured and out for 6 months. Without rabada, this attack looks weak.

Damn weak looking SA side

When do we tour them next? :D

Late 2022. Faf and Elgar will be retired by then. :)

We should have won last time around if not for ABD. Think we will be winning our first ever series in SAF.

We should have won last time around if not for ABD. Think we will be winning our first ever series in SAF.

They might get stronger replacements by then :mv

I wanted to see the new safrican players to debut.Kyle veriyene. Van tonder. Their fc batting avg is around 50. They can replace bavuma. Janne man Malan wasn't picked in the squad for some reason.

Migael pretorius is a young seamer with a good fc record.
If we judge by fc stats, sipamla definitely doesn't deserve a test debut. Looks like a quota selection.

Mulder looks promising

We should have won last time if Kohli wouldn't pick Rohit over Rahane.

Sipamla had to play as Glenton Stuurman and Kagiso Rabada are injured, otherwise they would have had only 3 non-white players in the team.

I wanted to see the new safrican players to debut.Kyle veriyene. Van tonder. Their fc batting avg is around 50. They can replace bavuma. Janne man Malan wasn't picked in the squad for some reason.

Migael pretorius is a young seamer with a good fc record.
If we judge by fc stats, sipamla definitely doesn't deserve a test debut. Looks like a quota selection.

Mulder looks promising

Glenton Struurman was supposed to have played and I'm sure he'll play the second test. Sipamla is a good young player. I wouldn't call him a Qouta player. He's more suited to ODI cricket though, same as phehlukwayo.

the rules are for the squad or the playing XI?

The rules apply to the playing XI, however, there is some flexibility in how they are applied as compliance is measured on an average basis across the whole season. So they typically tend to be under the proposed quota in tests (6 non-white players out of which at least two must be black), but try and catch up by selecting more non-white players in the white ball matches.

It's a bit unfair to criticize Sipamla too heavily, as he hasn't played a lot of cricket over the past 9 months. He's only featured in one first-class match and a T20 since March. He's understandably struggling to hit the right length on a pitch with steep bounce.

Sri Lanka's batting is stronger than India and Pakistan in Eng,Nz and SA.
I think they handle lateral movement much better than our superstars and this is not just based on one series.

Sri Lanka's batting is stronger than India and Pakistan in Eng,Nz and SA.
I think they handle lateral movement much better than our superstars and this is not just based on one series.

No it's not. They got destroyed in Australia the same season we toured there.

Sri Lanka is easily the best Asian test side in SENA conditions. Some really good batting in tough conditions. Impressive.

Regardless. They are no better. Were terrible in England last time they toured and could only score runs in New Zealand when the pitch went flat.

Pakistan got bundled over on a similar Centurion pitch in 2018, I don't expect our batsmen to have handled the movement today quite as adeptly as the Sri Lankans have thus far.

The Indian batting has regressed since their last tour of South Africa in 2018.

SL 151/3 (36.5) CRR: 4.1
Day 1: 2nd Session

Pakistan got bundled over on a similar Centurion pitch in 2018, I don't expect our batsmen to have handled the movement today quite as adeptly as the Sri Lankans have thus far.

The Indian batting has regressed since their last tour of South Africa in 2018.

Indian batting may have regressed but the Saffers as a team have regressed since AB's retirement and Rabada's stress fracture (both in 2018) . Amla and Steyn declined rapidly. The current team are in danger of losing to a lot of teams at home.

They really need to play Zubayr over rubbish batsmen like Bavuma. Atleast Hamza has some talent.

Indian batting may have regressed but the Saffers as a team have regressed since AB's retirement and Rabada's stress fracture (both in 2018) . Amla and Steyn declined rapidly. The current team are in danger of losing to a lot of teams at home.

Fair enough.

I still think Sri Lankan batsmen are technically more skilled to handle swing and seam than their neighbours, in general.

South Africa is finished.They have zero talent upcoming.These lungi Ngidis sipamlas are mediocre.

Sri Lanka should aim for 350 here. These guys love playing against South Africa these days!

Mickey working his magic again. Meanwhile we are stuck with the Clueless One.

Well done Sri Lanka, Asian teams tend to struggle in Centurion. 300-350 and that gives the bowlers something to work with.

Nortje’s looked threatening throughout, got great potential, still inexperienced with only a few tests under the belt.

De Silva’s fine innings stalled by an unfortunate leg injury, looks like a lucky break for SA.

De Silva was batting pretty well, such a shame that he is retired hurt.

It's a bit unfair to criticize Sipamla too heavily, as he hasn't played a lot of cricket over the past 9 months. He's only featured in one first-class match and a T20 since March. He's understandably struggling to hit the right length on a pitch with steep bounce.

I'm more disappointed in Lungi Ngidi. What the hell is going on with him? He's looked average and worst of all he's lost pace.

Sri Lanka batting is good and has a lot of experience. Not sure about their pace bowling.

They really need to play Zubayr over rubbish batsmen like Bavuma. Atleast Hamza has some talent.

He's been dreadful. There are young players that are way better than Bavuma? Raynard Van Tonder, Qeshile, Marques Ackerman, Keegan Petersen, Joshua Richards, Tony De Zorzi. Kyle Verrynne. Ihonestly don't know why we still insist playing him because it can't be a qouta thing. There are black batsmen better than him.

I'm more disappointed in Lungi Ngidi. What the hell is going on with him? He's looked average and worst of all he's lost pace.

I've never quite understood why he was highly rated in South Africa. He has played too much white ball cricket at a young age, which has hampered his ability to bowl long spells.

SCORE UPDATE - Day 1, Session 2:

SL 192/3 (49.0) - CRR: 3.91

Chandimal 42* (106)
Dickwella 6* (21)
de Silva 79 (105) - retired hurt

Min. Overs Remaining: 41.0

No doubt Sri Lanka has the best batting line-up for SENA pitches....India should learn from them

He's been dreadful. There are young players that are way better than Bavuma? Raynard Van Tonder, Qeshile, Marques Ackerman, Keegan Petersen, Joshua Richards, Tony De Zorzi. Kyle Verrynne. Ihonestly don't know why we still insist playing him because it can't be a qouta thing. There are black batsmen better than him.

Most likely he has powerful nepotistic connections vouching for him

Sad to see demise of SA bowling attack. It used to be the best pace attack in the world just couple of years ago - Steyn, Philander, Morkel & Rabada.

That's sad to hear. We all want to a high quality SA team with some great fast bowling, batting and a world class all arounder. This SA side looks very mediocre.

Sri Lanka are going to miss de Silva's off-spin if he isn't fit enough to continue. They should really be targeting 400 plus in this innings.

Dont know why nobody is giving sl the credit. They are a bloody good team. Very underrated. 2-0 vs SA, won 2-1 in UAE ,3-0 vs Aus.
SA are still a good team. A matter of time before they become a force again

SL doing well here if they got to 400+ they will fancy chances of winning another test in SA.

Some of the figures in this innings are atrocious. Looks like 3-4 Naseem Shahs on display

This is some hammering the Proteas are receiving.

Brilliant from the Lankans so far.

This is just inexcusable from South Africa.

Yes I know they're missing Rabada but getting smashed like this in your own backyard by Sri Lanka on a wicket that's not even a flatbed.....

Aussies are supposed to tour in Feb. It's going to be an absolute massacre.

This has been a masterclass from Srl. I hope Pak can someday bat as convincingly in SA. :stokes

This has been a masterclass from Srl. I hope Pak can someday bat as convincingly in SA. :stokes

Well I hope we also get a chance to face a bowling attack consisting of Ngidi, Sipmala and Mulder as well.

Even Nortje is just all pace and no brains right now.

Well I hope we also get a chance to face a bowling attack consisting of Ngidi, Sipmala and Mulder as well.

Even Nortje is just all pace and no brains right now.

True. This is a nothing bowling attack in comparison to Rabada, Steyn, Philander. Though last win of Srl in SA was against a full strength bowling attack.

17 overs until new ball

At this rate they will add another 60-70 runs if not more

Huge score before the first 80 overs!

Sri Lanka chased down a 300+ total and cantered to another 197 in the fourth innings against a bowling attack of Rabada, Philander, Steyn and Olivier last time around.

This bowling attack is absolute cannon fodder compared to that one. No wonder they're treating them the way they are.

Even the new ball with Nortje.....it’s just going to fly to the boundary as soon as it hits the bat

This is some hammering the Proteas are receiving.

Brilliant from the Lankans so far.

They have confidence from last tour here and they have continued in same vain in this match today. Excellent effort so far.

Back