South Africa v Australia | 2nd Test | Durban | 6-10 Mar 09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amjid Javed said:
S.A 118/7 follow on still possible, i cant see Aussies forcing it though.

I think the goal will be to bowl them out with a 150-odd lead, bat on and try to put another 150 or so then try and bowl them out. MJ injuring Smiffy is a huge loss.

No way we want to bat last on this pitch

This series has really shown how many passengers we were carrying in Australia.

Hayden replaced by Hughes. In 3 innings Hughes has already made more runs than Hayden did in 5 Tests in summer.

Symonds replaced by North, pretty much ditto. We look much more solid with a proper batsman at 6.

Hauritz replaced by McDonald who has kept it tight and taken 7 wickets in 3 games at an average of 20.

Lee replaced by Hilfenhaus, the Hilf has actually taken wickets unlike Brett Lee Superstar and thankfully is not starring in any TV advertisements or singing Bollywood songs or accepting friendly pats on the bum from the opposition.

Hilfenhaus is my main reason for happiness, it has been so long since I have seen an Australian pace bowler consistently move the ball in the air. He has been tight, caused uncertainty and mean when needed. Bowling up to 145kph and giving the opposition some lip.

Also is giving an unfit Siddle (have a feeling those words are going to be in front of Siddle's name a lot in coming years) some respite from trying to carry the bowling attack with MJ at age 23.

I doubt Lee will get back into this side, nor Symonds, hopefully Hauritz never ever again and Clark will be on the tour to England but not necessarily straight into the side.

Rebuilding was hard work there for a few weeks but we are looking good now. :batman:

2 1/2 hours till game time.

Last edited:
Random Aussie said:
No way we want to bat last on this pitch

This series has really shown how many passengers we were carrying in Australia.

Hayden replaced by Hughes. In 3 innings Hughes has already made more runs than Hayden did in 5 Tests in summer.

Symonds replaced by North, pretty much ditto. We look much more solid with a proper batsman at 6.

Hauritz replaced by McDonald who has kept it tight and taken 7 wickets in 3 games at an average of 20.

Lee replaced by Hilfenhaus, the Hilf has actually taken wickets unlike Brett Lee Superstar and thankfully is not starring in any TV advertisements or singing Bollywood songs or accepting friendly pats on the bum from the opposition.

Hilfenhaus is my main reason for happiness, it has been so long since I have seen an Australian pace bowler consistently move the ball in the air. He has been tight, caused uncertainty and mean when needed. Bowling up to 145kph and giving the opposition some lip.

Also is giving an unfit Siddle (have a feeling those words are going to be in front of Siddle's name a lot in coming years) some respite from trying to carry the bowling attack with MJ at age 23.

I doubt Lee will get back into this side, nor Symonds, hopefully Hauritz never ever again and Clark will be on the tour to England but not necessarily straight into the side.

Rebuilding was hard work there for a few weeks but we are looking good now. :batman:

2 1/2 hours till game time.

No doubt the Aussies have played better cricket for the most part than the Proteas but the Proteas certainly did not help themselves with their over complacency and over confidence.

Savak said:
No doubt the Aussies have played better cricket for the most part than the Proteas but the Proteas certainly did not help themselves with their over complacency and over confidence.

Yep it seems like they set themselves mentally for the Australian tour only.

Australia have been beaten and come to South Africa ready for revenge and it seems like the Saffers have been taken a bit by surprise.

They need to drop Morkel now, too many Tests not enough results.

Still not sold on Ronnie. But he's definitely better than Horroritz. Just trying to think of who we would drop if we were to get Clark back into the side - if we dropped Ronnie we would have 4 quicks, but if we want McGain to be in the mix somewhere one of Siddle, MJ, or Hilfy will have to make way. You'd have to think that Hilfy's ability to move the ball would make him useful in England.

We'll see how much we need a spinner on Days 4 and 5.

OZGOD said:
Still not sold on Ronnie. But he's definitely better than Horroritz. Just trying to think of who we would drop if we were to get Clark back into the side - if we dropped Ronnie we would have 4 quicks, but if we want McGain to be in the mix somewhere one of Siddle, MJ, or Hilfy will have to make way. You'd have to think that Hilfy's ability to move the ball would make him useful in England.

We'll see how much we need a spinner on Days 4 and 5.

McDonald would make way for Clark. Clark is pretty much medium pace anyway, compared to the other 3 he certainly is. If we need a spinner it would probably be Siddle/Clark/Hilf to miss. Clark no automatic selection.

Agree - Clark no auto selection. It's hard to justify McGain in any side seeing as we haven't seen him play Test cricket at all.

We really need to keep our foot on their throat here. If we can bowl them out with 150+ lead I reckon it would be very difficult for us to lose this match. I'm proud of the young blokes!

Siddle now has 25 wickets in 6 matches averaging 26.

Australia to bat, no follow on.

Awesome result. Let's put 150+ on the board, we can't lose from there.

Can Krapich keep his wicket?? He needs to stick around.

The Saffer commentators hate Phillip Hughes lol. All they do is ***** about his technique.

This is one of the more enjoyable things about watching matches in Saffaland - listening to the commies when their team is losing. :D

If Andrew Mcdonald wants to maximize his utility to the team, he needs to start delivering with the bat. So far i have not been impressed with him with the bat. As a bowler he does well to hold an end up and give some needed relief to the other main bowlers. But the Aussie's still need a decent leg spinner from some where, i cant see them dominating like they used too without a good leg spinner.

Savak said:
If Andrew Mcdonald wants to maximize his utility to the team, he needs to start delivering with the bat. So far i have not been impressed with him with the bat. As a bowler he does well to hold an end up and give some needed relief to the other main bowlers. But the Aussie's still need a decent leg spinner from some where, i cant see them dominating like they used too without a good leg spinner.

Nah he is a useless batsman. Test number 9 is about where he is.

Handy bowler though.

40 for no loss. Lash them Hughesy!!

Random Aussie said:
Nah he is a useless batsman. Test number 9 is about where he is.

Handy bowler though.

He is supposed to be an allrounder isnt he? If he isnt good enough with the bat then i think Watson is a better option than him but then again Watson is injury prone and unreliable and is not suited to holding an end up in any case.

It's time South Africa brought back Charles Langeveldt. He is the only s.A bowler who is a genuine swing bowler.

Also with Gibbs living a new sober lifestyle and scoring again I think that he should reclaim his spot from useless Mckenzie

Doesn't look like it's that easy to bat actually. Hughes and Krapich have done ok.

420 lead would do. 500 would do even better. Without Smith they will fold like a pack of cards.

420? I was thinking more 350+. But we have plenty of time. It doesn't look like an easy wicket to bat on atm.

It's only the start of day 3, we will bat until we are all out IMO.

Give them no chance of victory.

KRapich is being found out as the useless fool that he is

Ponting hit 2 glorious successive boundaries and the fans from Kwazulu showed no appreciation.

We Capetonians cheer all good shots regardless if they come from the SA players or from the opposition.

Last edited:
Where is KwaZulu? Is it mainly Afrikaners?

Hughes must be one irritating batsman to bowl to. A really unorthodox technique but very solid. I like his temperament too, not once has he been ruffled by Steyn and Morkel even though they have bowled some challenging spells to him. Contrast this to the rattling Hussey got from Steyn and Morkel in the first innings.

LOL Siddhartha Talya, the CricIndia commentator for the OZ-SA match, has been forced to retract his biased statements about Phil Hughes' being "saved" by the 3rd umpire (according to Siddhartha). See below:

That's lunch. Australia lead by 305 and look as commanding as ever. Hughes is in sight of yet another half-century and Ponting has played some pleasing drives through the off side.

There are no demons in the wicket and Australia have applied themselves well. Morkel got a few to lift but Hughes hung on.

Note - We're getting a few emails from flustered readers about the Hughes stumping. I've edited the wicket description, I initially went by what I saw. I sincerely apologise. Please check it out and for heaven's sake no more changes please!

Siddhartha needs to learn that if he is to do an OBO commentary, he needs to stick to the facts and not his own opinion :D

OZGOD said:
Where is KwaZulu? Is it mainly Afrikaners?

The game is being played in Durban which is in the Kwazulu region.

The majority cricket supporters from that area are English followed by people of Indian origin.

australia r looking good, even though i think they'l beat england, england seamers in england's swinging conditions might cause more problems for em

saj786 said:
australia r looking good, even though i think they'l beat england, england seamers in england's swinging conditions might cause more problems for em

At the moment England is one confused team. In every test match in the West Indies they have not played one consistent attack. They have played musical chairs with Harmison, Sidebottom, James Anderson, Stuart Broad, Panesar, Swann and Amjad Khan. Australia look a lot more settled i am afraid.

Savak said:
At the moment England is one confused team. In every test match in the West Indies they have not played one consistent attack. They have played musical chairs with Harmison, Sidebottom, James Anderson, Stuart Broad, Panesar, Swann and Amjad Khan. Australia look a lot more settled i am afraid.
yes i reckon australia will win, but the england attack no matter how toothless it looks away from home r different at home, but then again johnson, siddle, hifenhause could really dismantle england, but never the less i'm predicting 4-1 to australia in the ashes, and i did predict australia to beat s.africa 3-0 in s. africa :imran

I am quite flabbergasted about this turn around since the Aus tour.

I think it is Hilfenhaus and his swing bowling that has made the whole difference...I haven't seen any of the match but know he's a swing bowler and in SA conditions at good pace, he is certainly more than a handful.

My Ashes predictions look somewhat random now.....

When will Dubya declare? I reckon 450 would be more than enough. But since it's only Day 3 they may try and bat till stumps then declare overnight.

Ponting with his trademark pull for 4, goes past Steve Waugh an becomes 2nd highest test runs scorer for Australia

OZGOD said:
When will Dubya declare? I reckon 450 would be more than enough. But since it's only Day 3 they may try and bat till stumps then declare overnight.
I think so, maybe give South africa a nasty 10 overs to bat today, by which time the lead should be well over 500.

Steyn with a rip snorter after being hit on the up for 4 by Hughes earlier in the over. Excellent test match cricket this.

Ponting has now scored 2000 runs against South Africa in only 20 matches with 8 centuries, averaging a tad over 60. Interestingly his highest score against them is 143*

Given that South Africa chased 414 at Perth a few months ago, i dont think Ponting will take any chances. I am pretty certain he will look to set a target of 600 atleast.

Perth was a flat track, this one has more juice in it, I think might declare just before the close.

Has anyone played the pull shot better than Ponting does in the history of the game?

When will Dubya declare?? Surely 450 is way more than enough.

Ponting hasn't had much of the strike recently, faced only 15 balls in the last 10 overs

Hughes needs another 7 runs to emulate Wjahatulla Wasti who got 2 hundreds in his 2nd test, the opposition being Sri Lanka at the time.

hughes gets his 2nd ton, Australia slowed down appreciably, from 4 runs per over to under 3.3, no declaration today

This Hughes is handy eh?

Youngest player ever to score hundreds in both innnings of a Test apparently, breaking George Headley's 79 year old record.

Last edited:
Random Aussie said:
This Hughes is handy eh?

Youngest player ever to score hundreds in both innnings of a Test apparently, breaking George Headley's 79 year old record.

Against the world's best pace attack on their own pitches, too.

Well he is not out so we should get at least another session of the Saffer commentators whining about his technique and how it not good enough.

Been alright so far IMO :))

Where's saffer?

Just a week or so ago he was whingeing about how boring this series was as the Aussies weren't being competetive :)

Day 1, Session 1 or thereabouts :p

What a difference a choke makes.

Random Aussie said:
Well he is not out so we should get at least another session of the Saffer commentators whining about his technique and how it not good enough.

Been alright so far IMO :))
He looks to cash in on anything loose and does it remarkably well but he does looks to have a bit dodgy technique and can expect some good bowlers to give him some trouble once they find him out unfortunatley Steyn has not been at his best in this series while Nitini (currently) and Morkel are just avergae bowlers.

Though the lad seems to have a great temprament expecting him to have a Sehwag type career.

Aus stepping it up here, 7, 10 and 7 from the past few overs. Hughes playing some sweet shots.

Hughes has stepped up to the plate big time here! All this after a duck on debut!

To score 100 in each inns in S.A is a brilliant achievement! Looks like this kids around to stay for a while.

Intresting to see when Aussies declare and i think they will win this game and the series.

Very sedate start by SA, been batting about an hour only 18 runs scored, but importantly no wicket lost yet.

S.A have to survive another 150 overs. Aussies will need to work for their wickets here!

Mckenzie's had something useful for lunch, just 9 off 50+ balls before the break, he's struck 3 fours in first 6 balls he's faced on resumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back