South Africa v Australia | 2nd Test | Durban | 6-10 Mar 09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amla giving away another start, was looking really good.

Kallis looks shaky and was dropped at slip first ball, should've been taken.

SA effectively 3 down I guess.

Good LBW appeal - looked OUT to me.

No referral by Ponting though

Oxy said:
Good LBW appeal - looked OUT to me.

No referral by Ponting though

And Lord Hawkeye says

"I say old chap, that was hitting middle'

S.A fighting hard here with AB and Kallis

181/2

Both players approaching 50s here!

Kallis 77(154) - ABCDE 65(155)
SA 234-2 after 77 overs - trail by 312 runs

Muhammad said:
Mckenzie's had something useful for lunch, just 9 off 50+ balls before the break, he's struck 3 fours in first 6 balls he's faced on resumption.

It's called PAP and Vleis (Maize and meat). That is a typical South African dish

306 with 7 in hand, unless Smiffy comes out...can Smiffy script a famous Saffa victory??

Just 2-3 more quick wickets and this is done.

This will be one hell of a chase if S.A pull this off! It would top perth Big time!

OZGOD said:
306 with 7 in hand, unless Smiffy comes out...can Smiffy script a famous Saffa victory??
Hey, OZGOD, we will bring him out to hit the winning run. Captain's plan. ;-)

So far I haven't seen much cricket. I have been watching a different shaped ball the past few weeks.

JustAnotherFan said:

So far I haven't seen much cricket. I have been watching a different shaped ball the past few weeks.

We're doing well in that too :D

Savak said:
Just 2-3 more quick wickets and this is done.

We need Kallizzz's :28: wicket. I will breathe easy if we can take Kallizzz's :28: wicket.

The Aussie attack looks vulnerable once the pitch has nothing to offer to them. This is where they are missing the likes of Mcgrath, Warne who could always bowl a tight line, length and frustrate a batsman into making mistakes.

OZGOD said:
We need Kallizzz's :28: wicket. I will breathe easy if we can take Kallizzz's :28: wicket.
Too early to talk, but if stays there ... who knows ... this could be the game where he finally gets a double hundred.

I'm confident of AB, Kallizzz and JP. Bouch is so-so depending on his menstrual pains. :)))

The lower order can sometimes bat or they can forget.

So we will see. I am still confident. In my opinion it is a new day. SA just needs 302 runs and they have the overs to get it if they keep the pace. The batsmen are there. The thing is that the pressure is there.

Anyway, may the best team win. :)

OZGOD said:

It seems like Kalizzz has put the Auzzzzzzzzzzzzzzie bowlers off to sleeeeeeeeeep

We need to take wickets early. What's the weather like in Durban tomorrow? When will the green mamba rear its head?

the problem for australia is siddle ankle overnight might get worse, johnson was strugling with his hamstring

Australia in control here. They just need two wickets in first 35-40 overs and they will be bowling to lower order (#7 batsman will be in). I think match over by tea

Last edited:
OZGOD said:
We need to take wickets early. What's the weather like in Durban tomorrow? When will the green mamba rear its head?

LOW 21°C HIGH 28°C

Wind Speed 11km/h
Wind Direction W
Humidity 78%
Dew Point 19
Comfort Level 23°C
Chance of Rain 0%

Experts in Durban say that the wicket will be getter flatter tomorrow.

South Africa could still force a draw but I doubt it

JustAnotherFan said:

I refuse to watch the game with the other shaped ball as long those racist dutchmen are controlling the game

Informer said:
I refuse to watch the game with the other shaped ball as long those racist dutchmen are controlling the game
You missing a good game. Even Luke played a stormer on Sat against my team (it got the booers going). :)

Should be able to pick up the last 6 wickets tonight.

Good fightback by the Saffers but too late.

Fortunately the great Mitchell Johnson gets Kallizzzzz caught in the gully.

3/267

Edit - gotta love these "sold out" crowds

I am here by myself :( oh well.

Don't you want to watch the number 1 side beating South Africa at home? :D

Now we need Duminy, he is the key.

Kallis gone so Australia have made an early break through. Game is still on a knife edge.

Smith will bat i recon later at some point if a postive result is still possible!

I remember the moaning from all the SA commentators every time they went to Pakistan about the sparse crowd but having seen this series the crowds in SA has been nothing short of rubbish. This on the back of a great away series victory the team pulled of in Oz.

If Australia had a spinner even as bad as Kaneria things would be so much easier.

South Africa if they get a couple partnerships here could have a good tilt at this mamouth total!

Muyazzim Khan said:
I remember the moaning from all the SA commentators every time they went to Pakistan about the sparse crowd but having seen this series the crowds in SA has been nothing short of rubbish. This on the back of a great away series victory the team pulled of in Oz.

According to them the series was "sold out"

Muyazzim Khan said:
If Australia had a spinner even as bad as Kaneria things would be so much easier.

Yaar but we don't. Send one of the leggies you don't want over here please.

I love Peter Siddle!! Nails ABCD with a pearler!!

Here we go

Amjid Javed said:
South Africa if they get a couple partnerships here could have a good tilt at this mamouth total!

Only a miracle can save the Proteas now.

Peter Siddle I love you! What a beauty! He has got De Villiers. My favourite bowler in Test Cricket at the mo.

De villiers out to a peach!

Have to say siddle reminds me of Craig mcdermott in every way!!!

Peter Siddle is like a fantastic mix of McDermott and McGrath. Up and at 'em like McDermott and miserly Like McGrath. He typifies the quality of Australian Test Cricketers, fast leaners with tremendous intelligence.

Amjid Javed said:
De villiers out to a peach!

Have to say siddle reminds me of Craig mcdermott in every way!!!

Man you just stole my thunder. It just shows that with a sound and solid cricket infrastructure you can rebuild and recycle so so much quicker.

One more wicket before Lunch and Australia will feel they can wrap this up pretty easily.

Muyazzim Khan said:
Man you just stole my thunder. It just shows that with a sound and solid cricket infrastructure you can rebuild and recycle so so much quicker.

Siddle is a bit of a surprise though.

12 or so injury riddled FC games, was a totally unexpected selection to tour India. He might be something very special come out of nowhere.

Awesome ball to Duminy beats him, then would have had him caught if we had a short leg.

And now Haddin drops Duminy.

Dropped a lot of catches this match.

Siddle is wreaking havoc out there.

I can't belive Siddles luck now Haddin drops another. It was a stunnig ball to Dumuny.

It was a fairly easy chance for Haddin. Johnson must be the fittest cricketer in cricket at the moment. He has bowled for the last hour and still going at 145 clicks. Not a comparison but reminds me of 2 spells from Sami. One against the Kiwis in 03/04 and Perth 04/05.

SA: 286-4

The win is not an option for SA.

Only 1 winner - virtually identical to the last test.

What a great delivery to get Duminy caught behind!

Short, fast, hostile!

299-5

Wonderful delivery from Hilfy and he has deserved that. Had Kallis dropped by Clarke this morning. Needed that 5th wicket before lunch.

Random Aussie said:
Stout and very dull partnership here, 18 runs off 11 overs.

The bowling has been brilliant though. These SA batsmen aren't as positive as the Aussies either.

Australia have an end open now. Intresting to see when Smith comes out to bat!

5 wickets needed by Aussies.

What a catch by Siddle to get Harris off Katich. Horrible hoik from Harris poor cricket from him. Great captaincy from Ponting to bring Katich on. The comms reckon Smith won't bat and I agree because there is no point.

Be madness if Smith tries to bail his useless batting colleagues out.

No need to bat and aggravate the injury

all hail the kings. Australia is number 1 again, not that they ever lost if technically, but you know what I mean

Amjid Javed said:
Smith is a fighter and i recon he may come out!

Given but as Oxy pointed out why come out and aggrevate the injury? The pitch is still playing silly buggers at times and it would be foolish to bat again. Smith doesn't need to prove his bravery.

When Lee and Clark are back fit intresting to see what Aussies 1st choice attack is?

They do lack a quality spin bowler though!

A wkt at the cricket...

363-8

Only 2 wkts left & 40 overs!

Just a formality from here...

Amjid Javed said:
S.A 7 down and 40 overs still to survive..!

I would say 8 down as there is no way Smith will risk his aggravating his injury on a lost cause

Batsman walks - then stops, and asks for a referral!

OUT!

SA effectively 9 down

Aussies drop another catch - very scrappy this test match.

Plenty of easy chances missed.

Katich finishes it off! His 3rd wkt

SA: 370-9 (all out)

Aus win by 175 runs

Disappointing series. I wonder where saffer is, he as a bit arrogant prior to the series...

Amir said:
Disappointing series. I wonder where saffer is, he as a bit arrogant prior to the series...

Saffer is beating his wife. A recently study in South Africa on wife beatings found that most wives in South Africa get beaten by their husbands immediately after the man's sports team got beaten.

Informer said:
Saffer is beating his wife. A recently study in South Africa on wife beatings found that most wives in South Africa get beaten by their husbands immediately after the man's sports team got beaten.

:))) :))) :))) :))) :))) :)))

I'm actually in tears reading that!

watch out for a washout in next test 3-0. SA i guess was lucky to beat aus prior to this.
The first test Ponting was expected to win but JP Dum played a brilliant knock...

This really wasn't the result i was expecting concerning the series result. Good show from Australia.

Congrats Australia. Excellent turn around. Australia now has a chance to whitewash South Africans. As far as SA is concerned, expected Steyn factor neutralized by Hughes factor in a big way. One extra good batsman has made all the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back