Match facts

February 24, Delhi

Start time 14:30 local time (09:30 GMT)

Analysis: Recent form favours South Africa
Matches: South Africa v West Indies at Delhi
Series/Tournaments: ICC Cricket World Cup
Teams: South Africa | West Indies
Big Picture

It's been exactly a month since South Africa last played an ODI and almost every minute of the days spent between their victory over India in Centurion and this moment has been consumed with how they will approach the World Cup. Questions have floated in the air about every possible aspect of South Africa's squad and strategy. Even after they have been answered, they've managed to find a mouth-to-mouth way of being resuscitated and asked again, in a slightly different way.

How many spinners will they play? Will the middle order prove strong enough? Can the quicks do the job in the subcontinent? How much is expected of a squad with 11 World Cup debutants? Will they choke again?

After all that, it's no wonder that South Africa are itching to get onto the field as soon as possible so that the cricket can start and the questions can end, or at least change. Even though South Africa have talked down the pressure, the truth is it has gone nowhere. After five failed attempts to raise the World Cup with five squads more than capable of raising it, patience is running out. The match against the West Indies on Thursday is not so much about the opposition as it is about starting the campaign with the kind of intent that will tell their critics and fans how serious they are about doing the business this time.

For West Indies, it's pressure of a completely different kind. They have slipped below Bangladesh in the ODI rankings to ninth spot and this World Cup presents them with an opportunity to show that they can still be counted among the top nations in international cricket. They've had difficult series in the recent past, against Sri Lanka and South Africa, and give the impression of a side that may fire now and again but struggles to find consistency in prolonged series.

They're aiming for the quarter-finals and the format could well see them get there, but they will have to achieve at least three "onces" to achieve that. In personnel they have the capability, so it's the mindset they'll have to get right. Their match against South Africa is being touted as the first marquee one of the tournament, although England against the Netherlands rubbished that assumption. To make an impact in this one could serve them well in the coming weeks.

Form guide

(Most recent first for the last five completed games):

South Africa: WWLLW
West Indies: LLLLL
Pitch and Conditions

The Kotla has not hosted an international since December 2009 when a dangerous pitch forced the ODI between India and Sri Lanka to be abandoned after 23 overs. It has since been re-laid under the supervision of the BCCI ground and wickets committee chairman Venkat Sundaram and ICC pitch consultant Andy Atkinson, who have said it will provide an even contest between bat and ball. There was a hint of green on the surface which could favour seam and bounce. The outfield is lush but with Delhi's warm, clear afternoons and chilly nights, dew is likely to be a factor here.
Watch out for

The last 12 months in one-day cricket have been raining runs for Hashim Amla. He has scored 1308 runs in 20 matches at an average of 72.66, but beyond the numbers his style with the bat has done the talking. Amla has gone from being a careful customer to a flamboyant flasher and has been seen going wild in the first ten overs of an innings. When he gets it right, which is most of the time, a big score is one the cards.

Darren Bravo has been talked up as the next Brian Lara. The younger Bravo has only played 13 matches with a top score of 74 against Canada. He also gave a respectable enough account of himself against South Africa in May last year and if ever there was a stage big enough to show he can fill Lara's boots, this is it.

Team news

South Africa's big conundrum is how many spinners they should use. On a track that shows specks of green, they may feel justified in playing their three-pronged seam attack and two frontline spinners. Given the trust they have shown in Johan Botha and the form of Robin Peterson, it's likely that Imran Tahir will have to wait a little longer to make his international debut.
South Africa (probable): 1 Graeme Smith, 2 Hashim Amla, 3 Jacques Kallis, 4 AB de Villiers, 5 JP Duminy, 6 Faf du Plessis, 7 Robin Peterson, 8 Johan Botha, 9 Morne Morkel, 10 Dale Steyn, 11 Lonwabo Tsotsobe

West Indies are likely to go with only one spinner and it will probably be Sulieman Benn which means Nikita Miller will be sitting on the bench. Their pace attack will be led by Ravi Rampaul and Kemar Roach.

West Indies (probable): 1 Chris Gayle, 2 Devon Smith, 3 Darren Bravo, 4 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 5 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 6 Dwayne Bravo, 7 Kieron Pollard, 8 Darren Sammy, 9 Ravi Rampaul, 10 Kemar Roach, 11 Sulieman Benn

Stats and Trivia

South Africa have beaten the West Indies in the last 11 ODIs the two sides have contested. That includes a match in the 2007 World Cup and a series both at home and in the Caribbean. The last time West Indies registered a win against South Africa was in 2006 in the Champions Trophy semi-final.

West Indies have never lost a match at the Kotla. Of the seven matches they've played at the venue, only one was a one-dayer in 1989, where they beat India. South Africa have not played an ODI at the Kotla.

The highest score and the lowest score at this ground both came in the same match. Pakistan scored 303 for 8 and bowled India out for 144.

Kieron Pollard has not been dismissed in single figures against South Africa, although he only averages 24.00 against them.
Quotes

"Consistency-wise, they haven't been as good as the other teams over a lengthy period of time but they have match-winners and that's why playing them in a one-off game makes them very dangerous."

Graeme Smith on why the West Indies can be a bogey team in a major tournament.

"We want to just see West Indies go out and play like we used to do in the eighties. As long as we go and give our best the fans will be happy."

Darren Sammy on his team wanting to get back that old Caribbean magic.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket_worldcup2011/content/current/story/502626.html

C'mon W.I.!

Need you to crush SA! :rao

W.I have embarresed the S.A in the world cup a few times in the past already.

96 1/4 finals was one occasion and 2003 another. Then again W.I did have Brian Charles Lara in the team! :)

The first competitive match of the tournament,come on the Windies !

Can somone explain why isn't Adrian Barath in the probable XI? and also no wicket keeper...
Come on West Indies and Daren Barvo...

Whatever you do, don't mention the C-word. Not around Graeme Smith. He and his South Africa team-mates have been asked about their habit of choking during major tournaments at every press conference they have attended lately. Ahead of their opening game against a dangerous West Indies team , Smith finally snapped.

Pressed to explain what it was that caused his team to crack on the big occasions, the captain retorted: "So you have been out in the middle? You understand all that? Every time we walk into a press conference it's the question we expect to get."

In 1999 South Africa suffered a calamitous run-out when they needed one run from three balls to beat Australia in the semi-final. In 2003 they misread a Duckworth-Lewis sheet when playing Sri Lanka and refused to take the run that would have put them into the Super Six stage. And in 2007 they had a collective brain freeze in another semi-final, also against Australia, and were skittled for 149.

The scars do not run so deep in this squad – 11 of South Africa's 15 have never played in a World Cup before. One of them is Imran Tahir, the Pakistan-born leg-spinner who has just qualified for the country at 31. His wrist spin will be the most telling addition to what Smith says is "the most varied attack that we have ever had We now have pace, we have bounce, we have left-armers, we have got a few spin options.".

The idea is that variety will make it difficult for the opposition to plan for what to expect when they play South Africa, who were accused of being inflexible by the Australia side who beat them in 2007. The flip side of that is that Smith is unsure what his own best XI is, especially because the pitch at the Feroz Shah Kotla has not hosted an international match since December 2009, when it was suspended from use by the International Cricket Council for being dangerous.

It has since been relaid, but as Smith said: "It's an unknown factor for all of us. We don't really know what to expect. We have just to pick the side we think gives us the right balance." With five seamers and five possible spinners to chose from, that will not be easy.

Smith is retiring as one-day captain when this World Cup is over. So he will not have to worry about being asked that question for much longer. A good thing too, because he admits that he is "running out of answers". Of course there is only one that will really settle the matter once and for all – win the thing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/feb/23/cricket-world-cup-2011-south-africa

Can somone explain why isn't Adrian Barath in the probable XI? and also no wicket keeper...
Come on West Indies and Daren Barvo...

Barath and Baugh got injured. I just hope Ravi can hold it together, which is asking for a lot from him..They should have taken the risk of getting Taylor and Edwards in the squad to strengthen the bowling, but we probably won't see them till the WI vs. Pak series after the WC. But still, the Windies have a lot of dangerous players: Gayle, Bravo Brothers, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Roach..

Hopefully the windies can put up a good fight. Looking forward to seeing Amla, Gayle and Pollard bat. And hope Imran Tahir gets his chance.

South Africa win toss and will BOWL FIRST!!

WI playing XI: devon smith darren bravo sarwan chanderpa dwayne bravo sammy thomas pollard benn roach

Lol. Chokers are determined to chase.can they chase 200 in pressure match? I doubt.

Lol. Chokers are determined to chase.can they chase 200 in pressure match? I doubt.

You've got it all wrong. South Africa always start of awesome, look likely to win the tournament and THEN CHOKE.

Thats why they are chokers..........

You've got it all wrong. South Africa always start of awesome, look likely to win the tournament and THEN CHOKE.
Thats why they are chokers..........
But these day they choke in almost every 2nd game.

:))) :)))

Where did they get the West Indies anthem.

Did they just make it up?!

Gayle :out
:)))

Game over. See you guys tommorow

I was just explaining to my colleagues why I was so surprised to see a spinner opening the bowling i.e the new ball and it's ideal condition for fast bowling, the inability to grip the ball properly for a spinner because of the newness of the ball and the fact that it tends not to spin as much as an old ball would ... and then Gayle gets out, whom seconds ago I had announced as one of the most exciting players in cricket! I felt like an absolute prat! I'm over it now though.

I really wish that Botha gets taken apart in this WC so that we can drop him once and for all. How he manages to always start in the playing 11 is beyond me.

I can't support Botha, he is a thrower. Got high hopes for Imran Tahir.

Cracking shot. This could be a great match!

Weather could play a spoilsport here.

Its quite cloudy in Delhi right now and rains are predicted for late evening.

5.6 Steyn to Smith, no run, back of a length and straightening on middle stump, Smith is an opening batter in test matches and he knows how to deal with those, gets right behind the line and blocks compactly @ 156.93 kmph

WOW!!

5.6 Steyn to Smith, no run, back of a length and straightening on middle stump, Smith is an opening batter in test matches and he knows how to deal with those, gets right behind the line and blocks compactly @ 156.93 kmph

WOW!!

There are some here who don't rate Steyn's pace, saying that he usually bowls high 130s/low 140s. I always maintained that he can crank up his pace if he needs to.

6.5 Morne Morkel to Smith, no run, beaten on the cut, short and wide, was there for the shot, but Smith could not connect @ 160.55 kmph

Hmm, There could be some defect with the Speed Gun there. That looked to be around 90mph~145 kmph.

6.5 Morne Morkel to Smith, no run, beaten on the cut, short and wide, was there for the shot, but Smith could not connect @ 160.55 kmph

Hmm, There could be some defect with the Speed Gun there. That looked to be around 90mph~145 kmph.

Morkel to Smith, no run, Morkel working up some good pace here, 146.1kmh, Smith again shows how much he likes the cut, first ball that allowed him to free his arms and he throws his bat at it, doesn't connect again

Shades of Brian Charles!

Shark has gone downhill as a bowler IMO.

Morkel to Smith, no run, Morkel working up some good pace here, 146.1kmh, Smith again shows how much he likes the cut, first ball that allowed him to free his arms and he throws his bat at it, doesn't connect again

I am following the commentary on Cricbuzz.

Apparently, If Brovo manages to score 150+ , Then West Indies can somehow set a target of 300+

265-275 will be a good total on this track. We may not get much dew due to a cloudy weather.

Brovo should go for 100 after he is done with 50. West Indies juske like Pakistan can collapse anytime

WOW, SA playing three fronline spinners and then they have Duminy as well.

Decentish start for W.I

West Indies 62/1 After 13 overs

W.I will need to get 260 atleast here in order to have something to defend.

This has been an entertaining match so far.

Bravo's batting has been class, hope he gets a century.

Top first Over from Tahir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back