South Africa vs Australia | 3rd Test | Cape Town | 05/03/14 | Day 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

OZGOD

Senior Test Player
Runs
Post of the Week
5 hours away but I wanted to create the thread because I want to have a whinge. Can't believe the Willow HD channel on Verizon FIOS is showing two minnows competing for 3rd spot in Afghanistan and India live instead of the SA-OZ 5th day! :69:

I could understand if it was the Asia Cup final but come on.

So I have to watch it on Willow's Youtube channel instead. What a joke!

Sorry I had the wrong date in the title. Can a mod please change? Cheers.

5 hours away but I wanted to create the thread because I want to have a whinge. Can't believe the Willow HD channel on Verizon FIOS is showing two minnows competing for 3rd spot in Afghanistan and India live instead of the SA-OZ 5th day! :69:

I could understand if it was the Asia Cup final but come on.

So I have to watch it on Willow's Youtube channel instead. What a joke!

so desperately waiting for a devasting spell from jhonson

I honestly think that Johnson should be rested from the T20s and the T20 world cup and play out the shield season for Western Australia.

John Inverarity and Rod Marsh need to make this happen.

I honestly think that Johnson should be rested from the T20s and the T20 world cup and play out the shield season for Western Australia.

John Inverarity and Rod Marsh need to make this happen.

why do u want him to be rested from t20 world cup.

why do u want him to be rested from t20 world cup.

WA Sheffield Shield Victory >>>>>>>>>>>> T20 World Cup

But honestly. Johnson's played a lot of cricket this season and bowled many overs. We do need to think of how to best manage him.

WA Sheffield Shield Victory >>>>>>>>>>>> T20 World Cup

But honestly. Johnson's played a lot of cricket this season and bowled many overs. We do need to think of how to best manage him.

but johnson can win you t20 worldcup.

Six wickets to get today and put these wannabes back in their rightful *almost good enough* place

so basically he wants johnson to play for his state team rather than for his country in the t20 worldcup.

I'm not fully serious.

Though whilst winning the T20 World Cup would be nice it's not that important.

This test today however is massive.

Winning the Sheffield Shield would also be great.

Last edited:
oh i thought atleast you could have cared about t20 world cup

We sort of care. It's a piece of silverware we haven't won. But to me it's a distant fourth behind an Ashes whitewash, an ODI WC win and an away series win in India.

I'm not fully serious.

Though whilst winning the T20 World Cup would be nice it's not that important.

This test today however is massive.

Winning the Sheffield Shield would also be great.

today your team is going to win it just one spell from johnson and game is over.

We sort of care. It's a piece of silverware we haven't won. But to me it's a distant fourth behind an Ashes whitewash, an ODI WC win and an away series win in India.

Yep. And of course we want Australia to win every match we play.

And I wouldn't be distraught if we didn't win whilst I'd be extremely upset if the Kiwis (or someone like Bangladesh) knocked us off in a test series.

seriously away series win in India is more important than a t20 worldcup win.

Yep. And of course we want Australia to win every match we play.

And I wouldn't be distraught if we didn't win whilst I'd be extremely upset if the Kiwis (or someone like Bangladesh) knocked us off in a test series.

yeah thats right every fan wants his team to win every match they play.

Would be a heck of a win if we get up today, one of our best really.

Dead pitch, most of day 2 lost to rain and playing the best in the world this game should have been at best a high scoring draw, i don't think many teams could have scored quick enough to push for a result here.

Would be a heck of a win if we get up today, one of our best really.

Dead pitch, most of day 2 lost to rain and playing the best in the world this game should have been at best a high scoring draw, i don't think many teams could have scored quick enough to push for a result here.

And most importantly we've bounced back from getting smashed in Port Elizabeth. It wasn't like our tour in India or England over here, there has been no head dropping in this team.

So just the maths for today:

Australia
  • need 6 wickets in 100 (I think) overs to win. Basically 2 wickets a session
  • new ball due in 39 overs or probably just after lunch

South Africa
  • need 440 runs with 6 wickets remaining in 100 overs (assuming we get that)
  • RRR 4.4 per over

I'm guessing ABCD and Zippy will be in full block mode. If we can get one of them out early I reckon it's game over.

seriously away series win in India is more important than a t20 worldcup win.

For me, yes. Because we've only done it once in the last 30 years or so. That would be an excellent achievement for our team to do that. Away series win in India on foreign surfaces is more important than some hit and giggle tournament. My opinion anyway. I'm much more interested in Test achievements than T20 achievements. Other people may disagree that's fine.

I can't think of a single test series win i would trade for a 20/20 WC, our national team plays about 5 20/20 games a year usually with random players picked at the last minute it's hard to even feel like it's your team.

Added to that it seems like there is a new 20/20 world cup every 18 months, it dilutes the importance of winning it.

Last edited:
I can't think of a single test series win i would trade for a 20/20 WC, our national team plays about 5 20/20 games a year usually with random players picked at the last minute it's hard to even feel like it's your team.

Added to that it seems like there is a new 20/20 world cup every 18 months, it dilutes the importance of winning it.
it certainly is about priorities across the the three formats.

Last edited:
I'm surprised how many people think SA can hold on for a draw. I can't see them getting close.

I'm surprised how many people think SA can hold on for a draw. I can't see them getting close.

Probably because they have done it in the past, as recently as a couple of months ago. That was against the Indian bowling attack though. But we all remember Adelaide the same way we remember Kolkata.

For me, yes. Because we've only done it once in the last 30 years or so. That would be an excellent achievement for our team to do that. Away series win in India on foreign surfaces is more important than some hit and giggle tournament. My opinion anyway. I'm much more interested in Test achievements than T20 achievements. Other people may disagree that's fine.

Test cricket is a real team game, bowlers need wickets and batsman needs good partnership. Openig batman need to see off the new ball. T20 1 average batsman can win the game. So yes for me test cricket is the best form of cricket.

Them getting the draw isn't a fav or anything but if anybody can do it this is the team that can.

Im surprised anybody would think they have little to no shot.

@ Local folks:- Howz the actual weather today morning? Is the wind strong?

Test cricket is a real team game, bowlers need wickets and batsman needs good partnership. Openig batman need to see off the new ball. T20 1 average batsman can win the game. So yes for me test cricket is the best form of cricket.

^^ exactly.

Let's get rid of Abbott and get Faf in. And deVilliers edges but lands short of second slip

Put catchers all around the bat. No need to have boundary riders.

Let's try and decapitate Abbott

92 overs left to block for SA

ABCD 21 off 120 Abbott 2 off 33

91 overs left to block for SA

Leading runscorers and wicket takers this 2013-14 season.

Attachments

• leadingrunscorerssmall.jpg
    leadingrunscorerssmall.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 35
  • leadingbowlerssmall.jpg
    leadingbowlerssmall.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Field from Clarke

Attachments

• field from clarke savoz small.jpg
    field from clarke savoz small.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 38
ABD and faf had to save the match for a perfect farewell to smith....and they are capable of doing it

88 overs left for SA to block

522 balls left for SA to block

I would love to see the saffers lose the game in the last over of the day.Preferrably a sydney 08ish kind of ending :)

84 more overs for S.A to dig in and scrap for here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back