Sri Lanka beat India by 63 runs to win the first Test in Galle

SL lead is 145 which means that India will have to make a small effort with bat to chase this down later.

This can be really tricky for India if Chandi can get SL to a target of around 200

WTH is going on from 95/5 to 333/8? RR almost 4.5

2 howlers not given at 100. Both Chandimal and Lahiru were out under 10 but not given.

Aggressive batting with lots of luck.

But great batting.

Old kookabura ball that does very less.

Pitch easing out. As time goesby, its getting harder to pick wickets.

new ball due for India spinners in 3 overs time...

2 howlers not given at 100. Both Chandimal and Lahiru were out under 10 but not given.

But great batting.

i don't think BCCI is going to learn no matter even if they lose a Test from here they will still deny DRS system.

I really hatre kookabura in Test cricket we really need to move on from kookabura.

Chandimal owning Indian bowlers.

He was streaky against Ashwin at first but then went on to destroy him.

Respect.

i don't think BCCI is going to learn no matter even if they lose a Test from here they will still deny DRS system.

I really hatre kookabura in Test cricket we really need to move on from kookabura.

Its the pitches too.

Ashwin said 2 days back that it will get harder and harder to pick wickets so our first innigs is very important.

If Sanga and Mathews had applied a bit more, we would be chasing 300+.

Guys is this sydney all over again,? A lot of similarities, and umpires proving kami of this sydney, but still don't think indians will surrender and won't score 170 odd likely target.

Pitch is easing out. Even 300 seems to be an easy chase for India here.

Chandimal has been outstanding, farming the strike and extending the lead. Pitch is slowing a lot.

Guys is this sydney all over again,? A lot of similarities, and umpires proving kami of this sydney, but still don't think indians will surrender and won't score 170 odd likely target.

Pitch eased out bro.

If you play off the new ball, you can score 300 or 400.

If Sanga had stayed, SL could have scored 500+ in this innings.

Lankans atleast have 25 % of winning it now, but still india's game to lose, but what a counter attack and under the pump inning by chandi, take a bow, [MENTION=137677]Thivagar[/MENTION] you should be proud of this grand fight back mate.

But great batting.

Good to see you are quick in blaming the umpires but are blind to see they stopped india from concending 250 lead with last two wickets of herath and kaushal

Good to see you are quick in blaming the umpires but are blind to see they stopped india from concending 250 lead with last two wickets of herath and kaushal

lol...

Umpire gave a howler for SAHA when he was not out at 60s with our lead 180. Its like sending Chandimal off when he is in his 60s with a howler.

If that was accounted, the lead would be 200-250+

Then 2 howlers of SL during 100-5 would have turned the game around.

I was responding to Strike Rate AT THE TIME OF THE POST WHEN KAUSHAL WICKET DIDN'T FALL.

So learn to see the context before jumping around blaming others.

Last edited:
Dinesh Chandimal's batting average as wicket-keeper at the moment is 58.44, highest for any keeper in Test history (Min: 1000 runs).

If anyone thinks all howlers are even steven in this game, they are deluded.

We got the raw end of the deal (Saha set batsman gone and their 2 top scorers reprieved) but fair enough. BCCI deserved it.

India is the last team that should cry about umpiring they had a sook after Bucknor happened DRS was brought in just for them and they refuse to use it yet cry everytime an umpiring decision works against them.

India is the last team that should cry about umpiring they had a sook after Bucknor happened DRS was brought in just for them and they refuse to use it yet cry everytime an umpiring decision works against them.

Yes.

But its not the Indian fans who oppose DRS. Some may defend BCCI but majority want DRS and that can be easily seen.

How will you feel if people call Pakistanis incompetent for the efforts of PCB?

Lol it don't evens up. Two wrong never make one right. Not in cricket atleast.

Particularly in this case, when India got decisions against them when they could close SL out while the decisions against SL were given when they already had taken huge advantage of the decisions in their favor.

You remove howlers from both sides and Ind could possibly have won by an innings.

But anyways, its the classic case of cricket team and fans suffering from poor decision making at administration level of the governing body.

Last edited:
[MENTION=6243]Xoib[/MENTION] - Brother, Kaushal was out

81.2 136.6 kph, India strike with the new ball, very full and widish outside off, Kaushal cannot resist going after it, and a thin edge goes through to Saha 360/9

Herath was unsure. Not out I guess.

72.5 82.7 kph, Herath has been given caught at slip, and Rahane has become the first man to claim eight catches in a Test, Herath playing with a closed face, not sure that came off the bat, bounced, took the thigh pad, and went to Rahane's left, he has not missed anything so far 319/8

It all started here in Sri Lanka when DRS was first used and India still got many bad decisions going against them. :murali

Not sure why KL Rahul is so overrated by some Indian fans. From whatever games that i have seen him play, he looks very fidgety and nervous. IIRC, even that painfully slow 100 that he scored in Australia wasn't fluent and looked like he could get out anytime on what was supposed to be one of the flattest track.

Not sure why KL Rahul is so overrated by some Indian fans. From whatever games that i have seen him play, he looks very fidgety and nervous. IIRC, even that painfully slow 100 that he scored in Australia wasn't fluent and looked like he could get out anytime on what was supposed to be one of the flattest track.

Because he has quality to play swing and spin and the fidgetiness is NOT due to lack of quality but nervousness which is more easy to overcome compared to technical deficiencies.

Because he has quality to play swing and spin and the fidgetiness is NOT due to lack of quality but nervousness which is more easy to overcome compared to technical deficiencies.

Not sure about this one, mate. Let's hope he proves me wrong in the upcoming games.

India should win this but the match could be closer than we think. Indian batting is rather fragile, if Kohli and Rahane are dismissed cheaply India will have to work hard to take this.

He scored tons on absolute green tracks in domestic cricket.

IMHO, our domestic scene is not really a great yardstick to measure the player's ability to play swing/spin (especially in the last 5 years or so). Even the likes of Dindas and Pankaj singhs turn into Malcom's modern reincarnation and not to forget often there is some poor quality umpiring + catching involved making the high individual scores a lottery. Imagine even the great saviour (New Wall?) that many of us Indian fans thought of in ChePu still struggles against half decent off spin. IINW, even Jaddu has some serious Ranji scores ( few triple hundreds).

IMHO, our domestic scene is not really a great yardstick to measure the player's ability to play swing/spin (especially in the last 5 years or so). Even the likes of Dindas and Pankaj singhs turn into Malcom's modern reincarnation and not to forget often there is some poor quality umpiring + catching involved making the high individual scores a lottery. Imagine even the great saviour (New Wall?) that many of us Indian fans thought of in ChePu still struggles against half decent off spin. IINW, even Jaddu has some serious Ranji scores ( few triple hundreds).

So Rahul scores against bowlers who become Malcolm Marshall on those pitches as you say.

Give him some chance and let's see bro. An opener who can play genuine quality swing is golden and needs to be given chances.

Chepu used to own bowling lineups on rank turners. He may have lost form or have issues but he was amazing before.

Playing swann, panesar and lyon with ease on absolute turners.

So Rahul scores against bowlers who become Malcolm Marshall on those pitches as you say.

Chepu used to own bowling lineups on rank turners. He may have lost form or have issues but he was amazing before.

Playing swann, panesar and lyon with ease on absolute turners.[/QUOTE]

Yep, he used to score more runs but it was long time back. If i recollect correctly, barring the two tests against England in India its been a downward spiral of sorts for him with his inability to gauge the length of spinners making him very vulnerable.

It was a tongue in cheek comment when I used the word Malcolm. I am still not convinced about Rahul's so called ability to play swing and spin. Let me repeat, hope he proves me wrong in the future games.

India should win the game from here even if they lose a couple of wickets on the way tomorrow.

Give him some chance and let's see bro. An opener who can play genuine quality swing is golden and needs to be given chances.

Playing swann, panesar and lyon with ease on absolute turners.

The problem with top Indian domestic batsmen is they can now tackle swing with ease. But the domestic pitches have low bounce, so Indian batsmen aren't tested sufficiently on bounce or bounce/swing combo. Their domestic records do not tell us how they will perform outside India because Indian batsmen aren't used to bounce. Indian batsmen should do well in England, but I am not sure whether they will do in Aus/SA/NZ.

The problem with top Indian domestic batsmen is they can now tackle swing with ease. But the domestic pitches have low bounce, so Indian batsmen aren't tested sufficiently on bounce or bounce/swing combo. Their domestic records do not tell us how they will perform outside India because Indian batsmen aren't used to bounce. Indian batsmen should do well in England, but I am not sure whether they will do in Aus/SA/NZ.

But we did well in SA, Aus and NZ (bounce) and got owned in England?

If SL had 240 to defend I would have backed them to win but I will only give them a 30% chance.

Morning session will decide it. If they can get at least 3 wickets in the first hour then game on.

Just 22 bro.

At 22, Ashwin didn't even flight the balls like this. It took him 4 years of international cricket to do it.

Kaushal is doing it at 22.

What he needs is some coaching from Ashwin's coach Sunil Sumbramaniam.

He will become a monster sooner or later.
Is he, his personal coach that good? Had read in one Ashwin interview that his coach is now looking after tnca academy. How about BCCI using his resources instead at national level? Make him head of some task force to unearth and scout for new spinning talents

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk

Is he, his personal coach that good? Had read in one Ashwin interview that his coach is now looking after tnca academy. How about BCCI using his resources instead at national level? Make him head of some task force to unearth and scout for new spinning talents

Let me say like this bro.

If you are a budding off spinner and you have to choose between Ashwin as a coach or Sunil Sumbramaniam (who is a left arm bowler)....and you choose Ashwin, then you would be a freaking idiot.

No exaggeration.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/player/34219.html

Whatever Ashwin is today is because of Sunil Subramaniam (sure Ashwin has intelligence to figure out the best method for him).

When Ashwin screwed up against England, his coach helped him figure out the technical fault and made him practice bowling to a point where he got accuracy back and then Aus home series happened.

In 2009 Galle test SL set Pak a target of 178 to chase down in 4th innings. SL won that test by 50 runs.

Imo this test could the same way :(

Nervousness is pretty reasonable for a 23 old in debut matches.. His FC record is phenomenal!

In 2009 Galle test SL set Pak a target of 178 to chase down in 4th innings. SL won that test by 50 runs.

Imo this test could the same way :(

pitch is very flat,there is not way India can lose this.
6-7 wicket win before tea

It's because players are ear-marked before they start. Slow, defensive, negative players are always treated as having "good technique" and they are the ones who need to be groomed for the one match in "testing conditions" every three years and so their low scores need to be tolerated and we should pay no attention to the centuries of the likes of Dhawan and Sharma on easy wickets. True batsmen do not score big on easy wickets. They play defensively score a nice respectable 5 or 6 and display promise for the real tough situations.

Cricket analyst will be saying I told you so after this inning.

Pretty much. A lot of defence and a ton of wickets. The only guy who attacked consistently has been the player of the match.

India can still choke this here. If they lose Dhawan fast, it can become trouble because the rest will feel the need to be "responsible" and that will mean they have to last 70 overs, which they won't.

If India win it will be easily and in a blitz.

The Sydney pitch may not have been a green mamba but Aussie bowlers were bowling extremely well. There was pressure from both ends. He did what was expected of an opener in that situation. Not every 'slow' innings is not scratchy. He looked pretty fluent in that 100 barring the early period.

Besides, Steyn rates him pretty highly.

What an interesting test match so far!

Hopefully SL remove Dhawan and then Kohli early tomorrow. That will set up one hell of a test match and an exciting day!

It's because players are ear-marked before they start. Slow, defensive, negative players are always treated as having "good technique" and they are the ones who need to be groomed for the one match in "testing conditions" every three years and so their low scores need to be tolerated and we should pay no attention to the centuries of the likes of Dhawan and Sharma on easy wickets. True batsmen do not score big on easy wickets. They play defensively score a nice respectable 5 or 6 and display promise for the real tough situations.

This post really had me chuckle hard (especially the bolded parts). I couldn't disagree with your post. :misbah

Or may be just that they have good technique .Who are these batsmen whos low scores have been tolerated ?

No attention to Centuries of Dhawan and Rohit ? lol Are you seriously making a case for these two proven hacks , especially Rohit ? Cos they score very Phast ?

The Sydney pitch may not have been a green mamba but Aussie bowlers were bowling extremely well. There was pressure from both ends. He did what was expected of an opener in that situation. Not every 'slow' innings is not scratchy. He looked pretty fluent in that 100 barring the early period.

Besides, Steyn rates him pretty highly.

Rahul may be deserves a axe as of now , but any one whos followed domestic cricket knows he does not play slowly . Some of his recent big double hundreds wer at a SR of 75+ . In any case SR should be a criteria for picking batsmen for a Test team . Most matches are getting over by the 3rd , I dont remember the last time we needed a batsmen to score at 100 SR to set or case a Target .

Pretty much. A lot of defence and a ton of wickets. The only guy who attacked consistently has been the player of the match.

India can still choke this here. If they lose Dhawan fast, it can become trouble because the rest will feel the need to be "responsible" and that will mean they have to last 70 overs, which they won't.

If India win it will be easily and in a blitz.

Jaddu played low percetange cricket and it came off in Lord's.

He tried it again in the series and flopped so bad.

Chandimal's innings was great (seriously it was great counter attacking innings) but you are missing a few details here:

1. It was streaky for the first 30-50 runs where he could have got out easily (I am ignoring the howler)
2. Pitch had eased up
3. Old kookabura ball

He went for an unconventional approach and it made sense in that situation where blocking was pointless anyway.

But not for all situations.

I think the problem with him is more of temperament than anything. He is kind of batting equivalent of Mishra. Its what I have observed from the little international matches of him which I watched. He always exhibit a facial expression of being nervous. Somewhat similar to Adam Lyth during this Ashes. Even when he hit that century in Australia he was moved to tears. Not saying crying in happiness after hitting your maiden century is anything wrong but still. But when he came back and I remember watching him hit a century in Ranji SF or Finals, he looked supremely confident in his body language over there. No facial expressions of nervousness. Somehow all this seems to be that he is still of not confident about himself of belonging to International Test Cricket. His temperament needs some work and its here I think the team management comes into play. Ravi Shastri might be of help to him in this regards.

I think the problem with him is more of temperament than anything. He is kind of batting equivalent of Mishra. Its what I have observed from the little international matches of him which I watched. He always exhibit a facial expression of being nervous. Somewhat similar to Adam Lyth during this Ashes. Even when he hit that century in Australia he was moved to tears. Not saying crying in happiness after hitting your maiden century is anything wrong but still. But when he came back and I remember watching him hit a century in Ranji SF or Finals, he looked supremely confident in his body language over there. No facial expressions of nervousness. Somehow all this seems to be that he is still of not confident about himself of belonging to International Test Cricket. His temperament needs some work and its here I think the team management comes into play. Ravi Shastri might be of help to him in this regards.

Great observations.

Small stuff that he needs to sort out.

Or may be just that they have good technique .Who are these batsmen whos low scores have been tolerated ?

No attention to Centuries of Dhawan and Rohit ? lol Are you seriously making a case for these two proven hacks , especially Rohit ? Cos they score very Phast ?

A guy's last two innings are 173 and 134 and making a case for him is a "joke".

Meanwhile the 'good technique" guy has 5 failures and 1 century (after having a clanger dropped).

Pretty much sums up my whole point.

Jaddu played low percetange cricket and it came off in Lord's.

He tried it again in the series and flopped so bad.

Chandimal's innings was great (seriously it was great counter attacking innings) but you are missing a few details here:

1. It was streaky for the first 30-50 runs where he could have got out easily (I am ignoring the howler)
2. Pitch had eased up
3. Old kookabura ball

He went for an unconventional approach and it made sense in that situation where blocking was pointless anyway.

But not for all situations.

My whole controversial thread was precisely that under big pressure there's no point blocking anyway.

Jadeja is generally not such a great batsmen, and as I said in real time back then, the issue was Indian batsmen did not attack after the point where Rohit and Rahane were out slogging Moeen Ali. I repeat after that point, Indians didn't actually attack. I request you to search Cricinfo for Jadeja's innings after the mid-way point of the third Test. Not much slogging at all.

My other point is that sure, Chandimal could and should have been out, but that was possible batting defensively as well and defending wouldn't have thrown the Indian spinners of their deadly lines.

Coaches can only do so much and rest of it is upto the bowler. All good coaches might not have been a good spinner themselves due to either lack of knowledge when playing or due to lack of talent. Remember that Australia's spin coach played for Canada. Bowlers need a little bit of intelligence as well. Intelligent spinners will always learn from their failures and continue to improve. Ashwin is a smart bowler and that is why he is continuing to progress. Lots of batsmen still don't know how to play proper spin, most of them haven't faced quality spinners in their life time. For awhile darters and chuckers took over the game and art of orthodox spin bowling where the bowler flight the ball had been lost. While coach might have played a great role in his success, the credit must go to ashwin as well.

My whole controversial thread was precisely that under big pressure there's no point blocking anyway.

Jadeja is generally not such a great batsmen, and as I said in real time back then, the issue was Indian batsmen did not attack after the point where Rohit and Rahane were out slogging Moeen Ali. I repeat after that point, Indians didn't actually attack. I request you to search Cricinfo for Jadeja's innings after the mid-way point of the third Test. Not much slogging at all.

My other point is that sure, Chandimal could and should have been out, but that was possible batting defensively as well and defending wouldn't have thrown the Indian spinners of their deadly lines.

SL had to attack to spread the fielders, so they could start playing less riskier shots and take singles and doubles. They were slogging their way out of trouble due to the nature of the pitch and the bowlers.

Lankans atleast have 25 % of winning it now, but still india's game to lose, but what a counter attack and under the pump inning by chandi, take a bow, [MENTION=137677]Thivagar[/MENTION] you should be proud of this grand fight back mate.

Giving a tough fight and losing a match is applaudable. You can simply say the other team played better. Didn't mind SL loss to Pakistan in T20s because there was a fight and Pakistan did well. SL fans just gets ****** off when SL plays 2 bowlers with Thisara and crap like that.

Back