Sri Lanka beat India by 63 runs to win the first Test in Galle

Don't worry mate, most of Pakistanis are with you as well :mc

Retirement of the big guns will force some of the younger guys to man up. Thats what Mahela, Sanga did, so its time for the other guys to do their job.

Retirement of the big guns will force some of the younger guys to man up. Thats what Mahela, Sanga did, so its time for the other guys to do their job.

I hope that was a coming of age innings from Chandimal.

With 2 days to go, and 9 wickets in hand, to get some 150 runs, one has to favor the Indians. They will be in no hurry to reach the target. I bet the 1st session could produce just around 45 runs !! How many wickets they loose remains to be seen. SL has a real problem .... to attack or defend ?? They don't have enough runs to attack. Defending only plays into the hands of Indians ....since they can simply not swing the bat and milk 1s and 2s. The wicket will play huge role in the outcome also. Should be fun to watch.

With 2 days to go, and 9 wickets in hand, to get some 150 runs, one has to favor the Indians. They will be in no hurry to reach the target. I bet the 1st session could produce just around 45 runs !! How many wickets they loose remains to be seen. SL has a real problem .... to attack or defend ?? They don't have enough runs to attack. Defending only plays into the hands of Indians ....since they can simply not swing the bat and milk 1s and 2s. The wicket will play huge role in the outcome also. Should be fun to watch.

That would be tricky strategy in a low chase. India has to finish this quickly. If India don't lose early wickets tomorrow morning they will wrap this in 45 overs. SL has to attack - which is their only chance. They are at least 100 runs short of a good target. Their last five men managed 300 so this target is not likely to test India - this is a batting wicket atm.

Sri lankans only chance is to get early wickets otherwise it's a foregone conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

It 'll not be easy, if Lankan's can hold on to their catches. I thought any team scoring 600+ in this match 'll win the Test, Lankans are 50 short of that,so, probably 65-35 IND.

Ishant will probably go in the 1st 5/6 overs. He has shown some desire to stay at the wicket, and with 2 full days to go, he will simply pipe down and try and get the shine off the ball Mind you, I am not gung ho over his batting, but this situation is just perfect for him to show his ability as a batsman. What I am I saying !!! With rest of the batting to come. it will be a tall order for SL. Rahane did not score in the 1st inning. so he will be ready to dig in. I would say 80/20 for the Indians.

Ishant will probably go in the 1st 5/6 overs. He has shown some desire to stay at the wicket, and with 2 full days to go, he will simply pipe down and try and get the shine off the ball Mind you, I am not gung ho over his batting, but this situation is just perfect for him to show his ability as a batsman. What I am I saying !!! With rest of the batting to come. it will be a tall order for SL. Rahane did not score in the 1st inning. so he will be ready to dig in. I would say 80/20 for the Indians.

If I say, for IND's benefit, Ishant has to get out in first 2/3 overs (unless he bangs around), most people 'll be surprised. But, trust me that's exactly what it is.

Indian's are not chasing a target, they are chasing a pressure, a mind game. Worst thing under this circumstances is <20 runs in 1st hour. 1/2 starting overs of adjustment is fine BUT, IND MUST attack & keep scoring - Lankas don't have much to defend, only way they can come back is maidens after maiden & the score board stuck - in fact, I won't have sent the night watchman, it's just pushing the No. 5 & 6 deeper in to an already long, long tail.

If you observe the game, you 'll see YK didn't chase 375 in his mind, he chased 50 runs/hour - that's exactly how you should approach on 4th innings chase - hold the game at it's throat, eat up the target AND never be afraid of losing. Game of 4th innings is totally different - most cases, teams failing to chase a target, would have easily crossed that total, even on an inferior surface & fresher attack, had they batted that in 1st innings. In history, there are less follow on's forced than not forced, unless there is a time constrains - because teams hate batting in the 4th innings.

I normally don't put result prediction - but, if IND goes to lunch say at 73/3, that's 50/2 in morning session (even taking one of the 2 wickets is Ishant), I would have put my money for SRL at lunch, if I were a betting guy.

If I say, for IND's benefit, Ishant has to get out in first 2/3 overs (unless he bangs around), most people 'll be surprised. But, trust me that's exactly what it is.

Indian's are not chasing a target, they are chasing a pressure, a mind game. Worst thing under this circumstances is <20 runs in 1st hour. 1/2 starting overs of adjustment is fine BUT, IND MUST attack & keep scoring - Lankas don't have much to defend, only way they can come back is maidens after maiden & the score board stuck - in fact, I won't have sent the night watchman, it's just pushing the No. 5 & 6 deeper in to an already long, long tail.

If you observe the game, you 'll see YK didn't chase 375 in his mind, he chased 50 runs/hour - that's exactly how you should approach on 4th innings chase - hold the game at it's throat, eat up the target AND never be afraid of losing. Game of 4th innings is totally different - most cases, teams failing to chase a target, would have easily crossed that total, even on an inferior surface & fresher attack, had they batted that in 1st innings. In history, there are less follow on's forced than not forced, unless there is a time constrains - because teams hate batting in the 4th innings.

I normally don't put result prediction - but, if IND goes to lunch say at 73/3, that's 50/2 in morning session (even taking one of the 2 wickets is Ishant), I would have put my money for SRL at lunch, if I were a betting guy.

Brother I diagree with you a bit here.

India has only 1 opponent here.

The hard kookabura ball.

Ashwin mentioned 3 days back that it will get harder and harder to pick wickets so our 1st innings (which was in progress) is important and that's exactly what happened. If Sanga had applied a bit more, SL could have hit 500+ in the 2nd innings.

The old ball is easy to score in this pitch. The new hard ball does something for pacers and spinners.

So if we play it off (without being over defensive which can put pressure on you), it should be a straightforward game.

Last edited:
India will win this easily. The middle order is strong , also all Indian bowlers can chip in with bat.

Early wickets and we could be in trouble.

There is an inherent fragility in this batting.

Which is why this target is irritating for me.

Brother I diagree with you a bit here.

India has only 1 opponent here.

The hard kookabura ball.

Ashwin mentioned 3 days back that it will get harder and harder to pick wickets so our 1st innings (which was in progress) is important and that's exactly what happened. If Sanga had applied a bit more, SL could have hit 500+ in the 2nd innings.

The old ball is easy to score in this pitch. The new hard ball does something for pacers and spinners.

So if we play it off (without being over defensive which can put pressure on you), it should be a straightforward game.

I would love to see I am proven wrong - already 1 dropped. IF Lanka doesn't drop any further, I 'll wake till morning to see the end.............

Lost 2 wickets to the new hard ball which helps spinners.

Middle middle order is exposed to the new ball.

I am sorry to say but i would be worried about India's future batting. Apart from Kohli every one else just blows hot and cold.

Mohit and his supporters..especially Gavaskar and Mumbai lobby::ace palm:

Last edited:
Apparently some Indians got annoyed when i said there is an inherent fragility in our batting for this test.

Potential is there but form wise we ain't all that.

Apparently some Indians got annoyed when i said there is an inherent fragility in our batting for this test.

Potential is there but form wise we ain't all that.

Apparently u were right to an extent..but the thing is u make it so melodramatic that one feels giving up with Indian cricket after reading ur post on Indian cricket,thinking it as a gone case..however u being a Tamilian,influenced enormously by mega melodramatic Tamil movies,it's acceptable..:j/k:

I don't think there are any real demons in the wicket. Indians have shot themselves in the foot with an overtly defensive conservative approach, this has just given the Sri lankans confidence and allowed them to settle into a rhythm and attack at the same time.

So much for Kohli's big talk of playing aggressive cricket all the time and going for the kill e.t.c. in tv interviews, it's always easier to talk than to actually do under the pressures of the match situation.

SL has well and truly taken this game away from India.

Unless there is a miraculous performance form our lower order batters can't see us getting past even 110 runs in this inning.

Still it's a 50-50 game - IND MUST, MUST attack. That "150 in 2 days" was the biggest trap & see IND falling into that.

I had lot of debate with [MENTION=135134]CricketAnalyst[/MENTION], but for the 1st innings of a Test - for 4th innings, my philosophy is different.

Kohli gone? Huuuge wicket!

Time for Rahane to show his class and why he might possibly end up being the best test batsman of the lot!

Apparently u were right to an extent..but the thing is u make it so melodramatic that one feels giving up with Indian cricket after reading ur post on Indian cricket,thinking it as a gone case..however u being a Tamilian,influenced enormously by mega melodramatic Tamil movies,it's acceptable..:j/k:

Brother, I hate those Tamil movies.

I am not negative per se (barring some times) though my comments could appear like that.

If you see my comments closely, I never said India would lose for sure (looks like they are performing worse than I thought) but said there is an issue with us like we don't have those stabilizing forces.

Its like when good stuff happens, we can pile on but we don't have that wall to stop bad things from happening for us.

All we needed to do was blunt the hard ball which aids spin. Chandimal could score so much with the older ball.

But we lost Ishant (ok he is a tailender), Rohit (bad selection but was expected) and Kohli (very sad).

Now we have Rahane and Dhawan who are our hope.

Let's see. All is not lost but SL favourites now.

Won't be surprised if we lose but I sure would be gutted.

Still it's a 50-50 game - IND MUST, MUST attack. That "150 in 2 days" was the biggest trap & see IND falling into that.

I had lot of debate with [MENTION=135134]CricketAnalyst[/MENTION], but for the 1st innings of a Test - for 4th innings, my philosophy is different.

Totally agree with this. Blocking, Blocking and taking the odd single only gives the bowling side a lot of heart and confidence.

See the hard new ball bro?

Solid defense could have saved Rohit and Kohli.

Brother, I hate those Tamil movies.

I am not negative per se (barring some times) though my comments could appear like that.

If you see my comments closely, I never said India would lose for sure (looks like they are performing worse than I thought) but said there is an issue with us like we don't have those stabilizing forces.

Its like when good stuff happens, we can pile on but we don't have that wall to stop bad things from happening for us.

All we needed to do was blunt the hard ball which aids spin. Chandimal could score so much with the older ball.

But we lost Ishant (ok he is a tailender), Rohit (bad selection but was expected) and Kohli (very sad).

Now we have Rahane and Dhawan who are our hope.

Let's see. All is not lost but SL favourites now.

Won't be surprised if we lose but I sure would be gutted.

Agree with u ,brother

Looks like we will have Chepu in place of Rohit, VJ in for Rahul, Umesh in for Aaron in the next game. In all likelihood, bhajji will be persisted by Kohli for another match.

Loosing this test will be a biggest facepalml for bcci for consistently refusing DRS..also for Kohli for keeping Pujara out of playing 11 in Asian conditions..will not bother much if we loose bcz we will be reaping for sowing the bad seeds in form of anti-Drs and bad selections

If SL go on to win this (still a big IF), it'll be one of the best test comebacks ever!

I thought he was India's first consistent late 140's, early 150 km/hr sensation.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I would say Umesh more consistent in terms of generating pace [MENTION=125358]l[/MENTION]ate 130s and early 140s than Aaron.

What a comeback! Well done to Lankans and chandimal in particular

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Another batsman out after playing with an ultra defensive mindset of 50 consecutive blocks followed by the odd single. What happened to the concept of taking initiative, playing a few attacking shots to put pressure on the bowler and forcing him to make mistakes?

I would say Umesh more consistent in terms of generating pace [MENTION=125358]l[/MENTION]ate 130s and early 140s than Aaron.

Given the hype that both these carried of being India's first 150 km/hr sensation, they haven't lived up to it.

I will have to strike my earlier prediction of Indian team getting past 110 runs, it appears even a score 90 runs seems too far away for this pathetic losers masquerading as international batsmen.

So Mr Kohli, i will be a very aggressive, ruthless captain, who will always go for the kill, what happened today under pressure of your first 4th innings chase?

I will have to strike my earlier prediction of Indian team getting past 110 runs, it appears even a score 90 runs seems too far away for this pathetic losers masquerading as international batsmen.

Its not over yet.

Indian tail is pretty solid. Also , shaha is no mug.

I like Rahne, at least trying to score.

IND already has used a night watch man, otherwise, I would have tried Bhaji before Saha - someone has to break the shackle. Angelo is exactly the great Captain, IND is playing into - couple of blows from Bhaji, he 'll go back to defend.

So called best players of spin in the world. Gettng dismantled.

Given the hype that both these carried of being India's first 150 km/hr sensation, they haven't lived up to it.

Some of us Indians like to hype up our phasht bowlers just like how some pakistanis hypes up their young/upcoming batsmen.

Very rarely these hypes stands the test of time.

Looks like all of them are in a hurry. Playing like scared chickens. Those who think india will win tests comfortably at home too are in for a surprise.

I think Rahane Ashwin and Then a few lusty blows from a a Bhajii will see India get out of this scare. Who knows what Saha can do. Still undecided on him right now.

Stupid ten sports why aren't you showing it!!!!!

so if india lose we know who the best team in asia is for sure right?

No doubt that from SC, Pakistan has got the most settled side with great consistency at Test cricket.

ODIs and T20s could be a close contest between all the 4 teams, though

Back