Sri Lanka v Australia | 3rd Test | Colombo | 16-20 Sep 2011

Random Aussie

Senior Test Player
Runs
Test starts in 2 hours.

For Aus, Siddle in for Harris, Ponting in for Khawaja.

No news on Sri Lankan team.

Last pitch wasn't quite flat enough for the SL team but this pitch I have a sneak preview picture of:

Attachments

• Flat%20Road.jpg
    Flat%20Road.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 116
Guess what? It's raining in Sri Lanka and I am all alone in an Aussie match commentary thread.

This has never happened before :p Someone must have spotted Afridi in a nightclub again....

I hope Sri Lanka win. Cricket needs some competitive teams and since Murali is gone they need to prove to themselves they can win without him. This would be a great time to do it.

There you go RA, you are no longer alone!

I want to see a vintage Ponting century!

Wanna see him play some of those pull shots.

Go Aussies!

How has Trent Copeland been. Havent watched much of him but from what Ive seen he is an Indian seamer in disguise!

Copeland is.......slow. But he is accurate and gets surprising bite and bounce out of the pitch.

Certainly has helped give us some control when bowling.

Match delayed as usual by wet outfield.

@danbrettig: SL dropped Samraweera, Randiv and Prasanna. Thirimanne in to open, Dilshan in middle order, Herath back and Eranga debut.

Sri Lanka team
TM Dilshan*, NT Paranavitana, KC Sangakkara, DPMD Jayawardene, HDRL Thirimanne, HAPW Jayawardene†, AD Mathews, RMS Eranga, HMRKB Herath, RAS Lakmal, UWMBCA Welegedara

Australia team
SR Watson, PJ Hughes, RT Ponting, MJ Clarke*, MEK Hussey, SE Marsh, BJ Haddin†, MG Johnson, PM Siddle, TA Copeland, NM Lyon

I want to see Watto go nuts, and unleash his sixes.

But in the end, SL should win this game.

:out

Hughes bowled second ball, Marsh strides in.

Good start for Australia, losing the poser Hughes early and sending in the far superior Marsh in.

Clipped off the bats, Watto off the mark.

Very heavy outfield, certain four pulls up, batsmen run 3.

FOUR!

Smacked! Right off the middle and speeds thru extra cover, Marsh.

Lol Sri Lanka, they have pulled out all their tricks in this series.

Dusty crumbling wicket - failed

Complete road - failed but saved by rain

Now another road but they made sure not to cut the grass so we can't score too heavily.

Really? Really? Come on Watto, you're better than that.

All debutants doing well, have Australia missed a trick by not dropping the incomparably **** MJ for Patto?

Test starts in 2 hours.

For Aus, Siddle in for Harris, Ponting in for Khawaja.

No news on Sri Lankan team.

Last pitch wasn't quite flat enough for the SL team but this pitch I have a sneak preview picture of:

:))) :)))

Ok, now that I am done laughing, I am outta here. Must finish hmwk :misbah

Good luck to Australia :warne

Seems a bit unfair leaving khawaja out, because they declared while he was batting. Should have given him a bit of a run in the test team.

Another Beauty Decision By Aleem Dar!

Never Try To Review Him, You Will Always Be Denied! ;)

cricinfo commentary has this phrase in bold "They are challenging Aleem Dar" :))

Welegedara to Ponting, no run, They are challenging Aleem Dar. This is the odd delivery that swings in. Ponting drives away from the body, there is a woody sound as it passes the inside edge. They go for the review right away. The replays, however, show that Dar is right again. The ball has hit the pad, and the bat has hit the boot. Oh Aleem, you beauty.

If Watson was a Pakistani and could not bowl he would be dropped by now. Remarkably similar to Umar Akmal in that he's really not suited for the Test game, only difference is Akmal can change that (22), but Watto's probably too old to do so (30)

"Once again, the big thing to learn when your in the fielding side is that you should never CHALLENGE Aleem Dar." True, Krean :))

Seems a bit unfair leaving khawaja out, because they declared while he was batting. Should have given him a bit of a run in the test team.

True but it would have been more unfair to drop Marsh after making 140 on debut no?

Hopefully Usman will now get a chance as an opener in place of the provedtobenotuptoitPhillipHughes.

True but it would have been more unfair to drop Marsh after making 140 on debut no?

Hopefully Usman will now get a chance as an opener in place of the provedtobenotuptoitPhillipHughes.

yeah but dropping him without giving him a proper chance...

If Watson was a Pakistani and could not bowl he would be dropped by now. Remarkably similar to Umar Akmal in that he's really not suited for the Test game, only difference is Akmal can change that (22), but Watto's probably too old to do so (30)

Watson is the best all rounder in the world. He averages 40 with the bat and under 30 with the ball in Test cricket. Handy for someone who is not suited to Test cricket.

You compare him to a fringe Pakistan batsman? Please.

On merit, Khawaja had to go. Six test innings and a high score of 37 is just not very good whichever way you look at it. Then again Hughes probably has one more innings to rescue his own spot, so there will always be opportunities for Khawaja to come back in.

I reckon Hughes has one more innings tops. There's only so much underperforming you can deal with before you have to make a change. He really seems to wilt when it comes to performing at the top level, with pressure on for his spot.

Watson is the best all rounder in the world. He averages 40 with the bat and under 30 with the ball in Test cricket. Handy for someone who is not suited to Test cricket.

This is why I said 'IF HE COULD NOT BOWL'

His conversion rate is pretty funny, 1 in 7. Then again a bloke who scores a 40 or a 50 in most tests and does a job with the ball is worth having about. I agree he's not all he's cracked up to be because he does not score hundreds, ever, and those are the real match-winning innings - but his value to the team was felt in Galle when he made mincemeat of the Sri Lankan middle order.

yeah but dropping him without giving him a proper chance...

6 test innings, high score of 37. In a batsman's era that is truly relegation form. I know he's new and he's popular but we have to be honest here.

I know that Cricket Australia can't dictate what the state sides do, but were I Tim Nielsen or (God forbid) Andrew Hilditch, I would be putting pressure on Matthew Mott and Simon Krapich to bat Twatto at first drop, with Khawaja and Hughes opening. I really REALLY think that as aggressive as he is opening the innings, he will provide the biggest net value to the OZ team by batting at first drop or lower. You can have Khawaja opening with Hughes in a bat-off for the opener's spot, with Twatto, Krapich et al coming lower down.

Yeah I dunno what all the hubbub is about Khawaja not getting a chance, he's had a decent-ish run and when other players out-perform you you'd probably expect to get dropped. I don't think he's ready personally.

Hughes Bro, Hughes!

Easy to say that now - he actually showed glimpses of being a half-decent opener in tests one and two, and nobody knew he would get a second-baller when they picked the team. Hughes has been under-performing but at least he has twin hundreds against South Africa on his CV. Khawaja has been worse than that.

What has Hughes done then?

Fair question - see post 55.

Hughes is also slightly lucky in that he is a natural opener and Australia struggle for those nowadays. Khawaja is slightly unlucky because there are class players occupying his preferred slots. However, I can't really disagree with the decision - a high score of 37 is a very poor net result from three tests.

What has Hughes done then?

Sweet Fcuk All. But I would like to see Uzzie bat a full Sheffield Shield season opening the innings first though before rushing him in to replace Hughes at the top of the order. Unlike Pakistan we generally don't like shuffling players all over the order (even though Khawaja has opened in the past). Uzzie hasn't dominated performances enough that he's a "must-have" selection where you try and shoehorn him into the side no matter what. While he really hasn't done anything wrong, he hasn't really set the world on fire either.

Michael Clarke has opened the innings at both limited overs and first class level, but you wouldn't be looking to push him to open in Tests for the sake of it. Same with Ponting, even though as first drop he's effectively "opened the innings" a number of time. It's the same argument with Twatto. Even though he's done well as an opener, it's the wrong batting position for him.

The only players in the squad who I reckon could legitimately fill the opener's role other than the incumbents would be Hussey, who played 10 years in the Shield opening the innings for WA, or Marsh who has opened for WA many times as well.

Last edited:
Hughes This Test Series.

1st Test Match, 12 And 28.
2nd Test Match, 36 And DNB
3rd Test Match, 0 And -

4 Innings Just 76 Runs.

I love watching the WATTO bat but like OzGod's said above ... he's not the 2nd coming of Haydos he was meant to be. Reckon he'd do much better batting down at 5 or 6 alongside the Huss. If only Australia found a keeper who could open the batting :butt

Hughes This Test Series.

3rd Test Match, 0 And -

4 Innings Just 76 Runs.

The whole natural opener thing and not reshuffling the order thing innit.

Hughes This Test Series.

3rd Test Match, 0 And -

4 Innings Just 76 Runs.

What is your point?

Hughes was never going to be dropped for Usman this tour. They were always going to give him the full tour. Now it has got to the point where he has probably had enough chances so unless he scores in the second innings I suggest he will be goneski.

Yeah I dunno what all the hubbub is about Khawaja not getting a chance, he's had a decent-ish run and when other players out-perform you you'd probably expect to get dropped. I don't think he's ready personally.

Obviously there's a bit of a novelty thing with Uzzie, he's Pakistani by birth and this is a Pakistani cricket forum. It's a bit like my interest in Deccan Chargers for the first IPL series - I cheered for them because of Gilly basically. Or Rajasthan because of Warne. It's natural and nothing wrong with supporting a fellow homie.

Dude, Hughes Is Just Rubbish. And Khawaja Is A Better Player Wherever He Bats! Just Admit It.

Really rate Hughes. It's sad he's continuing to fail. He's a massive talent. Perhaps should go back to domestic and work on his game, especially the short ball. Still he's young and can earn his way back into the side. I saw how he countered his weaknesses in South Africa, those two hundreds were superb. Dunno why he can't do that now.

Plus what better place to work out his short ball problem than Australia. Least it bounces there. Think of poor old Raina who has to work out his short ball problem in the dustbowls of India, where the ball doesn't bounce above the knee :))).

I love watching the WATTO bat but like OzGod's said above ... he's not the 2nd coming of Haydos he was meant to be. Reckon he'd do much better batting down at 5 or 6 alongside the Huss. If only Australia found a keeper who could open the batting :butt

Yes he should be down the order but it's a bit of a convuluted mess because of past poor selection decisions....

Hughes was exposed badly by Flintoff in England and Johnson was pathetic. They couldn't drop Johnson so Watson was shoehorned in as an opener to cover for the very expensive quicks. Watson surprised everyone by actually being a good opener and seeing as he has been our best player for the past 2 years and he was happy opening he has been left there.

Now Watson's form with the bat seems to be dropping we can probably look at moving him but the problem is we retired our good opener and the new opener is a hack so we would need to play 2 new openers if we move Watto.

As I said, it's complicated.

Dude, Hughes Is Just Rubbish. And Khawaja Is A Better Player Wherever He Bats! Just Admit It.

No he isn't. Get Over It. Hughes has 2 hundreds against Steyn and Morkel in South Africa, Usman has a 37 in a dead rubber on his home ground. You Might Be A Bit Biased, Just Saying.

After six test innings in South Africa, Hughes had a 70, a 115 and a 160. All of these runs came against the full-strength South African attack and the hundreds came back-to-back in Durban. He also has an 80* in New Zealand, in a winning cause again. That's seriously impressive stuff. He is highly unorthodox and looks very difficult to bowl to after he has passed 40.

After six test innings, Khawaja has not even passed 40.

Last edited:
Very pleasing to see our batsman put a price on their wicket instead of playing millionaire shots to get out.

2/61 batting is hard work.

2/61 batting is hard work.

Scoring 2 runs and losing 61 wickets? That's an effort alright.

Sorry just can't get my head round 'that' way of scoring. I don't think it makes sense but I could be completely wrong. Who invented it?

It's a shame Khawaja, Hughes or somebody else can't keep in their spare time. On the subject of Haddin, an under-performing player so shifty and repulsive doesn't deserve mere exclusion, more stuffing in a dustbin somewhere.

That was very good session of Test cricket! I don't like the cange in the batting order to much, hussey will have to bat at 6...

Neither of them have set the world on fire. Don't think you can say one is better than the other on the basis of their performances at the top level. See below. Tell me how you can say one is better than the other. Point out to me how you arrived at your conclusion above (and don't say potential because all potential means is it hasn't happened yet). Hughes has 2 tons and 2 fifties, then again he has played 9 more matches than Uzzie opening the innings.

Code:
Batting
Player	M	 Inns	 NO	 50s	 100s	 HS	 Runs	 Avg	 Ca	 St
Hughes	12	 22	 1	 2	 2	 160	 788	 37.52	 4	 0
Khawaja	 3	 5	 1	 0	 0	 37	 118	 29.50	 0	 0

In first class cricket it's pretty close.

Code:
Player	Mat	Inns	NO	Runs	HS	Ave	BF	SR	100	50	4s	6s	Ct	St
Hughes	59	106	6	5084	198	50.84	8562	59.37	16	26	688	29	38	0
Khawaja	38	63	5	2665	214	45.94	5160	51.64	8	10	341	10	21	0

Last edited:
Scoring 2 runs and losing 61 wickets? That's an effort alright.

Sorry just can't get my head round 'that' way of scoring. I don't think it makes sense but I could be completely wrong. Who invented it?

That's the right way of scoring. 2 wickets for 61 runs.

Not our problem if you score the wrong way.

Hughes has 2 tons and 2 fifties, then again he has played 9 more matches than Uzzie opening the innings.

Just compare Hughes and Khawaja after three tests each. It's a no contest.

His conversion rate is pretty funny, 1 in 7. Then again a bloke who scores a 40 or a 50 in most tests and does a job with the ball is worth having about. I agree he's not all he's cracked up to be because he does not score hundreds, ever, and those are the real match-winning innings - but his value to the team was felt in Galle when he made mincemeat of the Sri Lankan middle order.

Those stats (40 or 50 on a regular basis but usually not more than that and can fill a role with the ball) are perfectly suited for someone batting in the middle order. I reckon he should be batting anywhere but at one or two. Ideally he should bat at 6, though I think he could be given a go anywhere from 3 to 6.

Drop Ricky Ponting for Usman? Are you serious?

It's not going to happen in the middle of a series. We don't do it like that, he will be given a proper farewell.

It's interesting reading some of the posts on this thread re: Uzzie, Hughes, Ponting, etc. I feel like you can see some genuine cultural differences in how people view the selection process.

Back