Sri Lanka v India | 1st ODI | Dambulla | 28/1/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
IronMan2009 said:
Some injury. Glute injury or whatever. Not sure what that means.
I see. That's a major loss (losing Sehwag at the top of the order).

P.S. Glute is an euphemism for buttocks I believe.

tough decision for Gambir. Looked out but wasnt given. Guess it makes up for the tendulkar dismissal.

shabs100 said:
tough decision for Gambir. Looked out but wasnt given. Guess it makes up for the tendulkar dismissal.

Typical Indian batsman behaviour.

1/23 off 5.3 overs

What the heck is there on the outfield. It is darn slow. 247 is like 300 on this outfield.

hasan316 said:
that was a great catch. he was gone.

How dare you say that?

Gambir is a honest sportsman of note!! The most honest in the game!! Add to that the fact that he is an indian player and you should realise that you can never make "stupid" remarks like that ever again!! Do you understand it now?

:D

Much better than spending whole match watching batsman hit fours from mishits. Runs mean something.

Mendis Mendis Mendis

IronMan2009 said:
Explain what hapepened there :p

Ganguly tactics. Sad to see that batsmen will stand their ground for anything.

Did you ever see the Tony Greig thing where he held the ball 10cm off the ground and the camera made it look like the ball was touching the ground?

Other one do you remember Ganguly in IPL standing his ground and effectively calling Graeme Smith a liar for claiming a catch?

Keith said:
How dare you say that?

Gambir is a honest sportsman of note!! The most honest in the game!! Add to that the fact that he is an indian player and you should realise that you can never make "stupid" remarks like that ever again!! Do you understand it now?

:D

Remember "it was accident" that he hit into Watson, then he changes his story at the appeal to "I was provoked"?

Random Aussie said:

Did you ever see the Tony Greig thing where he held the ball 10cm off the ground and the camera made it look like the ball was touching the ground?

Other one do you remember Ganguly in IPL standing his ground and effectively calling Graeme Smith a liar for claiming a catch?

TV is not 3 dimensional therefore it can never show that type of "dismissal" correctly. Batters (from ALL sides) should accept the fielders claim.

PS: Was a great "thing" that TG showed!!!

Random Aussie said:
Remember "it was accident" that he hit into Watson, then he changes his story at the appeal to "I was provoked"?

Yep!! Difficuilt to forget that one, priceless!!!!! Sure you picked up the sarcasm in my earlier post!!!!

Random Aussie said:

Isn't that what Steve Waugh preached and practiced everyone? Michael slater claimed a catch falsely didn't he! and punter falsely claimed a catch didnt he. In Srilanka jayasuriya took a catch when the ball was bounced 1 feet infront of him and claimed it as a catch. He was given out. I can really wash the dirty linen public going back all the way to 1970s.

IronMan2009 said:
Isn't that what Steve Waugh preached and practiced everyone? Michael slater claimed a catch falsely didn't he! and punter falsely claimed a catch didnt he. In Srilanka jayasuriya took a catch when the ball was bounced 1 feet infront of him and claimed it as a catch. He was given out. I can really wash the dirty linen public going back all the way to 1970s.

Probably could. Would be fascinated to see which sides rank right up there!!! Probably very even and predictable to say who would walk into the top 2 positions?

powerplay taken straightaway. Let us see if Dhoni's powerplay tactics work. This is conventional.

Maharoof and Gambhir are playing for the same team. Exchange of smile after maha bowled that slower one.

IronMan2009 said:
powerplay taken straightaway. Let us see if Dhoni's powerplay tactics work. This is conventional.

I don't think Dhoni has taken the powerplay. It's Jaya who has taken it I believe.

IronMan2009 said:
Dharmasena has played with Jayasuriya.. With persistent overlong appeal, Dharma just put his finger up. An experienced umpire would have rejected it flat out. Being the first match for Dharma still little bit loyalty is still there.

Dharmasena has played a lot of cricket with most of this Lankan team infact starting his career well after a couple of those still playing. He was part of the set up for just over a decade and last played in 2004.

I just think this needs to be considered before recebt players are elevated to umpire at international status. I'm sure he's absolutely honest but there's gotta be some doubt about his impartiality not being swayed in the middle, it's not just that he's played with these guys he's also played against a lot of the guys from the oppo too.

ooops sorry.. i thgouth 15 overs were over.. yikes.. My streaming video is blurred a bit .

I wouldn't be surprised if India chase this target down. It won't be easy with Mendis, and Murali to come and with a slow outfield, but India is a strong batting lineup.

checkers.llvllaster said:
I don't think Dhoni has taken the powerplay. It's Jaya who has taken it I believe.

Imagine Dhoni will take it when the YUVI :))) :))) is rolling. Unless Mendis.

Yea.. he probably meant to be honest. His initial reaction was not out. With repeated appeal he just gave out or probably he wanted his first leg before decision to be againts Sachin. lol.
Being his first match you gotta give benefit of doubt.

IronMan2009 said:

Whatever. The reason all this standing around rubbish goes on is thanks to our Indian friends and how much they carry on after every umpiring decision.

Because it is so unfair. And then turn around and doctor the pitch. And claim that is fair.

1/65 after 12 overs.

Mendis averages 15 or something in domestic cricket on these pitches. Very tough customer to play against.

Never run when Murali is picking the ball. It would have been a suicidal run out. good call.

checkers.llvllaster said:
RA, you are a bigger fan of the YUVI :))) :))) then some Afridi fans :))

Fixed.

Yeah there is something I find really funny about him, from looking like Lara hitting them everywhere and then next ball looking like McGrath.

I loved the clip where Mendis bowls him and the Indian commentator is shouting "NO CLUE! NO CLUE!"

And right next to it is clip of him hitting 6 sixes. Lol.

This is the reason I'm fully in favor of the Referral System. Gosh I hate wrong decisions. Doesn't matter whether it goes in my team's favor or against.

leg before decisions should not be referred. Teams will get bowled out for 50, 60 runs. catches and edges on to the pad fine. But if bat is not involved there should be no referral.

Random Aussie said:
Fixed.

Yeah there is something I find really funny about him, from looking like Lara hitting them everywhere and then next ball looking like McGrath.

I loved the clip where Mendis bowls him and the Indian commentator is shouting "NO CLUE! NO CLUE!"

And right next to it is clip of him hitting 6 sixes. Lol.

That's pure class right there...that's why he is called the YUVI :)

IronMan2009 said:
leg before decisions should not be referred. Teams will get bowled out for 50, 60 runs. catches and edges on to the pad fine. But if bat is not involved there should be no referral.
But that was a plump wrong decision. The ball pitched outside the line of the off stump. There is simply no question of giving something like that OUT.

Last edited:
Either you refer all types of decisions or your refer none.

Leg before can be controversial. because current rule is a joke. Even if the ball is shade inline, irrespective how well forward the batsman they give out. Sehwag had the rough call like that. So was Rahul Dravid .

I thought Dhoni would play Jadeja in place of Ojha as he is a better batsman. Also he picked up 40 odd wickets this season in addition to 730 runs.

Keith said:
Either you refer all types of decisions or your refer none.

See this is the difference right here. Keithy what do you remember of the umpiring in the last Test series?

I remember Hussey got a bad one and so did Duminy.

That about it?

Run rate has dropped as soon as spin comes in. Going to be a lot of spin coming up in this match.

Gambhir pulled hammie.. Looks like it is very hot there.. I am practically home-bound due to winter storm. Tomrrow gotta work from home.

I think India can pull this one off, if these both can keep going and if they don't lose too many wickets at this stage.

Mahela is keeping Mendis for Yuvi? lol Hope he keeps delaying his second spell. These guys should not throw their wickets away.

Random Aussie said:
See this is the difference right here. Keithy what do you remember of the umpiring in the last Test series?

I remember Hussey got a bad one and so did Duminy.

That about it?

Maybe a couple of other dodgy ones, either way? The major difference was that both sides accepted the decisions without crying foul or being babies about it.

The entire series was played in the true spirit of test cricket. Hard BUT fair. Both sides gave their all and probably played the best series (of all countries) over the past 4 year period. Both sides respected each other and more importantly respected the game of test cricket.

It was a breathe of fresh air to see a series played in that fashion, taking into account the shennanigans in some of the last few series.

IronMan2009 said:
Mahela is keeping Mendis for Yuvi? lol Hope he keeps delaying his second spell. These guys should not throw their wickets away.

No I think he doesn't want to spend overs by both his gun spinners when the batsmen are set.

Random Aussie said:
No I think he doesn't want to spend overs by both his gun spinners when the batsmen are set.

It's a double edged sword. On one hand, he can lose the game if these two continue to prosper. On the other hand, if one of them falls, Murali and Mendis can cause major collapses sometimes.

It is so transparent. Mahela is holding Mendis for Yuvi. Yuvi's weakness against Mendis is working for India lol

Yuvi has over a period started playing spinners better. He will take a while before figuring out Mendis. I give him 10 runs at the most in this innings.

steadily moved to 115/1 after 23 overs, Raina & Gambhi should stay there no need to take
any risk here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back