Sri Lanka v India | 1st ODI | Dambulla | 28/1/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think More than they mystery his change of pace is his strength. If you can work out half the problem is solved against Mendis. He will still have his moments on certain kind of pitches.

Pakistan did that against Sri Lanka in the opening match except Pak won by 8 wickets instead of 6. So wait and see.

Dhoni explains why he used Raiina and Rohit to bowl "Jayasuriya was tired.. so i wanted him to use his power rather than we give him pace to work with."

We have all been wondering about his choices.. Sure he thinks through tihngs.

Jayasuriya Man of the Match. Unanimous choice.Well played Jaya. Great player. Icon of subcontinent.

Easy win for india.

When you see Dhoni or yuvraj come in when team needs 100 off 20 overs you know most of time they will lead team home. You look at pakistan with afridi etc.. and you no same wont happen!

India won last series here 3-2 and will fancy chances again.

Proves that India is a better side than Pakistan at the moment. Dependable batsman, decent bowlers, aggressive captain.

Savak said:
Proves that India is a better side than Pakistan at the moment. Dependable batsman, decent bowlers, aggressive captain.

Funny Savak.As though that required any proving?.I don't think anybody other than a few Pakistani supporters were in doubt.They are better than Pakistan in all 3 departments.

maamrut said:
Funny Savak.As though that required any proving?.I don't think anybody other than a few Pakistani supporters were in doubt.They are better than Pakistan in all 3 departments.
Please, let's be humble in our victory. And let's not forget they beat us for the Kitply Cup, and then for an ODI match in the Asia Cup making a superb run chase.

Bublu Bhuyan said:
Please, let's be humble in our victory. And let's not forget they beat us for the Kitply Cup, and then for an ODI match in the Asia Cup making a superb run chase.

That was more because of the Indian batting not fully clicking. Even then we barely managed to defend those 300 runs. Pakistan needs to find better and more aggressive fast bowlers.

Savak said:
Pakistan needs to find better and more aggressive fast bowlers.

Pakistan is a very competitive side any day. It just needs to add a couple of good players. That's all.

Ajeyastra said:
Pakistan is a very competitive side any day. It just needs to add a couple of good players. That's all.

And a ton of consistency, and a smaller range between good and bad performances. Right now Pakistan is a team that, if they are good are really good, but if they are bad are really bad.

For mine, India has reduced that variability in performances - the gap between their good and bad performances have reduced because they have raised the bar for their bad performances.

Muhammad said:
Dharmasena has played a lot of cricket with most of this Lankan team infact starting his career well after a couple of those still playing. He was part of the set up for just over a decade and last played in 2004.

I just think this needs to be considered before recebt players are elevated to umpire at international status. I'm sure he's absolutely honest but there's gotta be some doubt about his impartiality not being swayed in the middle, it's not just that he's played with these guys he's also played against a lot of the guys from the oppo too.

any one remember this guy from his playing days ? probably the one player i hated from SL .....tendulkars decision isnt a big issue , just being your first game .... but the guy has always looked a little sly to me , hopefully am proved wrong !

One of the backbone of today's performances was singles.. India picked up 98 singles. Dhoni picked 27 of them.

Savak said:
That was more because of the Indian batting not fully clicking. Even then we barely managed to defend those 300 runs. Pakistan needs to find better and more aggressive fast bowlers.

They need exposure and are still a very competitive side in both forms of the game.The recent drama of sacking Malik and Miandad's resignation does not augur well for the future of Pakistan cricket.However the only glaring difference between the two sides are the openers.Unfortunately not having a settled opening pair reduces your chances of winning by a ratio of 50%.One of the reasons why you dominated world cricket in the early 90's was due to the settled opening duo of Anwar and Sohail.

Manish26 said:
chances of winning by a ratio of 50%.One of the reasons why you dominated world cricket in the early 90's was due to the settled opening duo of Anwar and Sohail.

And Akram, and Waqar, and Saqlain, and Mushtaq, and Aquib, and Inzamam :p. Actually Sohail/Anwar were aggressive. They were consistent. Butt is good. But he and whoever he partners with wastes power play even when the batting conditions are good. It is one thing you play cautiously when the ball is seaming around. When you do that irrespective of pitch conditions you will be playing catch up game right through.

12thMan said:
I am bored so this will do. Any links?

Watch Rohit's 4 off Murali. It was classic.

45.2 Muralitharan to RG Sharma, FOUR, he picks the flight well, takes a couple of paces down the track and lofts him against the turn to long-off

jusarrived said:
people laughed wen i said mendis would be found out !

Yea.. it was a matter of when. But didn't expect this soon. But i still expect him to be good on certain surfaces. He could still run through a side on his day. So it is still not Mendis Solved QED.

It is too early to claim that Mendis has been found out. But this series will definitely adjust his standing in the world cricket to it's deserved weightage. If he keeps grabbing wickets by the bucketful, he is definitely the real thing. If not, he's another good bowler who started off in a very exciting fashion and will have to work harder with every passing series to move from good to great.

Another good win by India, they are the form team in the world in ODI cricket these days.

Much more consistent in performances than in the past.

Of course you always want to be in peak form 2 years out from a World Cup :D

Ajeyastra said:
It is too early to claim that Mendis has been found out. But this series will definitely adjust his standing in the world cricket to it's deserved weightage. If he keeps grabbing wickets by the bucketful, he is definitely the real thing. If not, he's another good bowler who started off in a very exciting fashion and will have to work harder with every passing series to move from good to great.
You know I am one who has claimed Mendis' Stardom even before he has done anything significant, and I was hoping he was not like other Sri Lankans who are Exceptional at home and nothing abroad. I Still dont think he is one of them, but we will have to see.

He really will have to succeed abroad -- before he is considered great and I hope he does.

Last edited:
EvergreenCricketer said:
Arun Lal's commentary spoils watching a good bowling or batting. Producers have to find better alternatives.

:)) Totally understand. A genuine grievance. When they panned the camera to the sky, he started talking about birds.

IronMan2009 said:
:)) Totally understand. A genuine grievance. When they panned the camera to the sky, he started talking about birds.

:)) You know what is infinitely more worse than Arun Lal commentary? It is Arun Lal + L Sivaramakrishnan combined commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back