Sri Lanka v India | 4th ODI | Colombo | 5/2/09

IAJ

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
MS Dhoni is a really lucky man. He has won the toss yet again and opted to bat. Do not you guys think that the results could have been different if Mahela had won the toss in previous matches? I mean Mendis could have been difficult to handle under lights.

sometimes due to the dew, spinners aren't as effective in the 2nd inns of a day/night match.

Yeah maybe mendis could have thrown the ball up into the lights and blinded the batsmen :)

Sri lanka have been poor all series regardless of wether they have won toss or not!

Come on guys we are talking about a team that 6 for 5 against Bangladesh not long ago.

Yes, Dhoni is lucky cuz he won the toss 8 out of last 9.

But would SL have won if Dhoni had lost the toss can't be said for sure. :)

In the 90s they had stronger line up.

Jaya, Kalu followed by Aravinda, Gurusinha, Ranatunga, Tilkaratne, Mahanama then the bowlers. They had defined roles.

Now they depend heavily on Jaya. Mahela is boom or bust guy. Either he is in serene form or he bats like Danny morrison. Other players are way too inconsistent to be branded as world class. Sanga plays well. But he doesn't seem to threaten the opposition even if he bats so many overs.

Last edited:
Garuda said:
Yes, Dhoni is lucky cuz he won the toss 8 out of last 9.

But would SL have won if Dhoni had lost the toss can't be said for sure. :)

Inside news is BCCI has paid someone $ 450 million to get Dhoni win all the tosses... :sarfraz

I am sure toss is important in cricket but then its more important to capitalize on that decision. I didnt see India vs SL matches but I am sure India must be playing good cricket. You can not be lucky every time. And as someone said in this thread earlier SL were 5 for 7 or something like that against BD not too long ago.

I think Mendis was rested rightly. Even though Mendis was ineffective in one dayers he has a huge role in Tests. Having won the series if India starts hitting the beejesus out of Mendis, he will definitely become demoralized. Good call by Mahela.

purplehaze said:
Inside news is BCCI has paid someone $ 450 million to get Dhoni win all the tosses... :sarfraz
:))

Are they using Amitabh's coin used in Sholay?

Dhoni coming in at 3 shows how confident India are with their current team.

Hate to say it but India at the moment remind me of Australia a while ago. :(

They all have confidence.

Maharoof to Dhoni, no run, appeal for caught behind, there was a massive edge there, slower ball bowled short outside off, Dhoni goes for the cut, gets the outside edge and Sangakkara pouches it. The umpires have referred it upstairs, but the replays indicate the ball may have fallen just short. It's too close to call and the benefit of the doubt has gone to the batsman

Sri Lanka were poor in bangladesh and now at home to india. Seems like Pakistan made Sri Lanka look good.

Random Aussie said:
Dhoni coming in at 3 shows how confident India are with their current team.

Hate to say it but India at the moment remind me of Australia a while ago. :(

They all have confidence.

They have the most aggressive and confident batting line up in the world. All their top 8 batters are capable of playing aggressive, expansive strokes at will and capable of clearing the boundry at will.

Nice to see Mendis being put in place. He has been decoded far sooner then most people anticipated.

stupid fells exactly at the point of Gambhir connecting the ball, they lost the signal.

All of a sudden Srllinkan look like they forgot how to play cricket, look at their fielding even Sanga looks having butter gloves in his hand !!

Indian Batsman smashing srilankan bowlers @ 6.13 a over & Srilankan fans blowing Trumpets with tune " Yeh Shaam Mastani Madhosh kiye jaye"
:))) :))) :))) :))) :)))

Kandambi is one of the worst fielder in the world? He is a fat pig already. Can't bend properly.

It is not the quickest outfield today

It got the distance not elevation

It didn't get the distance but elevation

It got both distance and elevation

- L Siva

*sigh*

There's no denying that India have played uncharacteristically well this series.

However, Sri Lanka have looked third-rate. Misfields, wayward bowling, listless batting. When they bowled us out for 75, their lines and lengths were superb.

Easa said:
There's no denying that India have played uncharacteristically well this series.

However, Sri Lanka have looked third-rate. Misfields, wayward bowling, listless batting. When they bowled us out for 75, their lines and lengths were superb.

If any team wants to find form and get a much needed victory under their belt then Pakistan is the team to play.

Easa said:

or that sri lanka have played extremely poorly? now who owns sri lanka cricket again? hmmm .......

This Dhoni move was totally a surprise move. Mahela tried some unorthodox field sets. Nothing worked.

Savak said:
If any team wants to find form and get a much needed victory under their belt then Pakistan is the team to play.
Have patience. The first positive step has been taken with Malik's withdrawal from captaincy. The next positive step to be taken is to remove Akmal from the team. Doesn't matter if the replacement is not a good batsman. All he needs to do is keep wickets properly. Someone with Nayan Mongia's abilities would do. Akaml has been the weakest link in your team for a very long time.

exactly, just what i said. if sri lanka have thrashed pakistan by over 200 runs and sri lanka themselves are getting their ***** whipped by india, i fear the next encounter between pakistan and india, seriously :afridi

Easa said:

yes, they lost 0-5 to england recently.
characteristically they are not expected to play well.
:)))

I don't. I think we'd run over India.

Easa said:

Its easy to bowl well when you are on top and you have a score of 310 on board. Plus that wicket had good seam and bounce

32.1 Fernando to Gambhir, FOUR, another fumble and it costs a boundary, bowled short outside off, Gambhir waited for it and guided it well wide of third man, Kulasekara dives to his right but fails to prevent the ball from rolling over the ropes

Hopefully GG will get a ton and then get out.

SL have been a joke like they have all series!

The UV :))) :)))

Fake Pathan # 2 Gone !

Power play taken before batsmen were set. So in hindsight it was a double edged sword.

Kandambi is proving he is officially the worst fielder in the world. I would say worse than kaneria.

Back