Sri Lanka v Pakistan | Asia Cup: Match 1 | Dambulla | 15/06/2010 | Sri Lanka Innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friend786

First Class Captain
Runs
Match Facts
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Start time 1430 (0900 GMT)

The Big Picture
Pakistan cricket is in the spotlight, once again. Having endured a period of internal upheaval, they have zeroed in on a squad full of surprises. One former captain retired, while two others appealed successfully against their bans. One of those two - Shoaib Malik - returned to the side and will be playing under a new leader, Shahid Afridi, who not very long ago accused Malik of back-biting. Out of nowhere, the once spectacular Shoaib Akhtar was recalled. Even faithful fans struggle to keep track of the changes, while critics question the madness surrounding the method. But one thing everyone will acknowledge is that the selectors have hit upon a reasonably balanced ODI outfit.

Pakistan have traditionally under-performed at the Asia Cup, winning just one tournament, and their recent one-day record is miserable, but they have managed to lift their game in recent multi-team events. Admittedly, three of those four have been in the Twenty20 format, and there-in lies the danger Pakistan poses - both to their opponents and to themselves. They have the ability to go all the way with short and sharp bursts of inspiration, but are just as likely to combust.

Sri Lanka's selectors, on the other hand, have shown creativity and foresight, while their core group for the 2011 World Cup is set in stone. Sanath Jayasuriya and Ajantha Mendis were the heroes of their 2008 Asia Cup triumph, but both of them miss out this time, for differing reasons. Jayasuriya's form has finally taken precedence over reputation, while Mendis' exclusion is to enhance his biggest weapon - his mystery. Tillakaratne Dilshan, who could not buy a run in the World Twenty20, was sent to Zimbabwe to regain touch, which he accomplished in style. Farveez Maharoof has been included in the squad for his past exploits on the seaming Dambulla wicket. There are several names such as Thilina Kandamby, Thilan Samaraweera and Chamara Kapugedera competing for middle-order slots. Add the pedigree of Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar Sangakkara and Muttiah Muralitharan to the mix and Sri Lanka will take some beating.

Form guide (most recent first)
Pakistan LLLLL
Sri Lanka WLWWL
Watch out for...
Ever since he began opening during the IPL, Mahela Jayawardene has been in sublime form in the Twenty20 format. He is expected to return to the middle order for ODIs, but for a batsman with his range it should be an easy transition. He is the most prolific run-getter on this ground, followed by his captain Kumar Sangakkara, and their middle-over association could dictate the course of the game.

Umar Akmal has quickly grown within the Pakistan establishment and, in the absence of Misbah-ul-Haq, will be expected to play responsibly in the middle order. So far, the biggest threat to Umar's performance has been his impulsiveness, and it will be interesting to see if he can temper his natural aggression for the team's cause.

Team news
Pakistan are expected to give 20-year old left-hand batsman Umar Amin a debut. Shahid Afridi will mull the option of playing three quicks, with Shoaib Akhtar returning alongside Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamer. It remains to be seen if Shoaib can bowl his full quota of ten overs, and Pakistan have hinted they will use him in short bursts.

Pakistan (possible) 1 Salman Butt, 2 Kamran Akmal (wk), 3 Umar Amin, 4 Umar Akmal, 5 Shoaib Malik, 6 Abdul Razzaq, 7 Shahid Afridi (capt), 8 Saeed Ajmal, 9 Shoaib Akhtar/Abdur Rehman, 11 Mohammad Asif, 12 Mohammad Aamer

Rangana Herath got a surprise call-up as the third spinner, but he is unlikely to get a look-in given Suraj Randiv's recent exploits. On form, Nuwan Kulasekara deserves to play, which could delay Maharoof's comeback unless the selectors decide to leave Lasith Malinga out.

Sri Lanka (possible) 1 Upul Tharanga, 2 Tillakaratne Dilshan, 3 Kumar Sangakkara (capt/wk) 4 Mahela Jayawardene, 5 Angelo Mathews, 6 Thilan Samaraweera, 7 Thilina Kandamby/Chamara Kapugedera, 8 Nuwan Kulasekara 9 Farveez Maharoof/Lasith Malinga 10 Suraj Randiv, 11 Muttiah Muralitharan..

Stats and trivia
Pakistan have played eight games in Dambulla and lost six of them; four of those defeats came in five games against the hosts. Sri Lanka have won 17 of their 24 games at this venue.
Muttiah Muralitharan relishes bowling here, with 39 wickets in 18 games at an average of 16.87 and an economy rate of 3.73.
Quotes
"Akhtar is an influential player. The type of effort he's putting in, hope he'll prove a point."
Shahid Afridi backs Shoaib Akhtar to be a force.
"I think it is a timely and great decision to have someone with that experience on the panel of people that has to decide on the future as well as the present."
Kumar Sangakkara on the new selection committee headed by Aravinda de Silva.

http://www.cricinfo.com/asia2010/content/current/story/463108.html

5 hours to go :14:

well lets pakistan kick start this tournament with a win ........... we mus win asia cup before the tour of england .......... we should make wining our habit :)

Excitement!! Sri Lanka is a difficult team to beat but I think we can do it. Not looking forward to Arun Lal and company though :raja

Should be an interesting game. 50-50.

How's the pitch? Win the toss and bat?

siccric said:
Excitement!! Sri Lanka is a difficult team to beat but I think we can do it. Not looking forward to Arun Lal and company though :raja
so do you like the commentary of mr ravi shastri sunil sir (gavaskar), and laxman shivaramakrishnan

Paradox said:
Should be an interesting game. 50-50.

How's the pitch? Win the toss and bat?
well bro the pitch is not good for batting .......... it will be low scoring match and with cloudy conditions ........ you can expect the ball will swing and seam

Well, will it deteriorate later in the game? If it gets better for batting later on, we should chase.

hassan.raza said:
so do you like the commentary of mr ravi shastri sunil sir (gavaskar), and laxman shivaramakrishnan

they are a part of that company, as far as I'm concerned

Paradox said:
Well, will it deteriorate later in the game? If it gets better for batting later on, we should chase.
so have you saw the ground dambulla before and who is your fav to win asia cup ...................

I have a feeling the Razzler and Akhtar will shine today iA. I hope that happens :)

hassan.raza said:
so have you saw the ground dambulla before and who is your fav to win asia cup ...................

:)) of course, but I've heard this pitch will be a bit different from the Dambulla pitch we played on last time (last August). Favorites - I really don't know.

salman24 said:
I have a feeling the Razzler and Akhtar will shine today iA. I hope that happens :)
well what about amir ............ this pitch is best suited to fast bowlers and we have just the right combination of fast bowlers :)

Digital said:
Insha Allah, Pakistan will win today :)
inshallah we will win today ........... we all should be positive this is the way to go .............................

gothamcronie118 said:
Are you sure? I just double checked and it looks like 5 AM

ATN gave it as 4:30 AM. I guess they include the pre-match stuff as well when they give the timings.

5:00 AM is the correct time when the first ball will be delivered.

as above stated about the pitch..then pakistan should start with 3 fast bowlers... aamir ..shoaib... and asif...

though by this we ll be playing with 7 proper batsman... but i think.. shoaib akhtar and aamir are good enough to bat at 8 and 9

Good luck Pakistan. And good luck to Umar Amin on debut.

Is Herath the Destroyer playing? :batman:

most probably not ... Randiv will take his place as he performed well in Zim TRI SERIES

Finally.. some ODI cricket, with a new captain, new players.. this is an interesting phase in Pakistan cricket. Hopefully we can use this tournament and further upcoming ODIs to find our perfect team composition before the 2011 World Cup.

3.30pm for me here (toss), game starts half an hour later.

CANT wait and i just wish n hope youngsters gets the chance, i dont wanna see, farhat at no.3 as im hearing it on tv, umer amin should come at 3, shahzaib n but should open, Kamran is good at low order in odis if he openes then he will be tired for his keeping which we know what happens then so i want fresh kamran for keeping. Umer Amin should definitely play. my 11 would be

1 Salman But
2 S.Hassan
3 Umer Amin
4 Umer Akmal
5 Afridi
6 Kamran Akmal
7 Abdul Razzak
8 Amir
9 Akhtar
10 Asif
11 Ajmal/Rehman

Now i had 2 options, Razzak or Malik. so i went with Razzak. Dont know of Malik form so why take risk when u have razzak who's medium pace will come in handy on Srilanka pitches. Anyone remembers the Asia CUP PAK won and that magical over Razzak bowled against Srilnka....SO this would be perfect team with youngsters getting a chance aswell....I really hope this team is selected....as they are saying pitch is helpful for pace bowlers thats why i went with 2 spin only.....

hopefully our recent poor form.. change into decent form then good form ... with our new captain and some new faces are there as well

Ryankhan said:
1 Salman But
2 S.Hassan
3 Umer Amin
4 Umer Akmal
5 Afridi
6 Kamran Akmal
7 Abdul Razzak
8 Amir
9 Akhtar
10 Asif
11 Ajmal/Rehman

Dude, that lineup won't score 50 runs on Sri Lankan pitches. Afridi at 5? We need Malik to play today

.. sigh. How in the WORLD is Rehman making it into some people's lineups?! :))

Salman Butt
Shahzaib Hasan
Umar Amin
Shoaib Malik
Umar Akmal
Kamran Akmal (wk)
Shahid Afridi (c)
Mohammad Aamer
Shoaib Akhtar
Saeed Ajmal
Mohammad Asif

siccric said:
Dude, that lineup won't score 50 runs on Sri Lankan pitches. Afridi at 5? We need Malik to play today

lol...agreed.....

mailk is a must....he has a good record agnst the lankans too

Even though Its at 5 in the morning, I plan on watching it, don't make me regret this decision, pk team.

Fawad2010 said:
Even though Its at 5 in the morning, I plan on watching it, don't make me regret this decision, pk team.

i hope they won't

if pakistan bat first they need to score atleast 250-260 ... if they manage to do this .. 99% game will be in our hands

with 3 goood quickies+razzak+afridi+ajmal+malik...we can defend 250 easily

Paradox said:
.. sigh. How in the WORLD is Rehman making it into some people's lineups?! :))

I know right! He's an easy bowler to score of when batsmen with intent are up against him.

01- Salman Butt.

02- Shahzaib Hasan.

03- Umar Amin.

04- Umar Akmal.

05- Shoaib Malik.

06- Shahid Afridi.

07- Abdul Razaaq.

08- Kamran Akmal.

09- Mohammad Aamer.

10- Shoaib Akhtar.

11- Mohammad Asif.

4 seamers? Afridi will have to spent his whole match fee as fine for not finishing in time! and possibly another ban after the tournament if it's the same line up for all matches!!

dinakar said:
4 seamers? Afridi will have to spent his whole match fee as fine for not finishing in time! and possibly another ban after the tournament if it's the same line up for all matches!!
I don't think he cares about that :afridi

adnan yasin said:
can u please REVEAL ur source of information .. if u dont mind ..
GEO SUPER

There's a whole thread on this, look in the cricket forum

The team is announced, don't know how the weather there is but let us hope we win the toss and bat first. This is a late start so the ball won't move that much so put runs on the board and blow away the lankans InshaAllah.

IAJ said:
The team is announced, don't know how the weather there is but let us hope we win the toss and bat first. This is a late start so the ball won't move that much so put runs on the board and blow away the lankans InshaAllah.

Agree

bat first in the afternoon .. score 250-260 will be enough to defend in the evening in dambulla with 3 good quickies

GEO Super. They're always right with the playing XIs a few hours before this game. Never wrong.

Hammad, Karachi kaisa hai? Match dekho yaar, holiday mein PakPassion kyun? :p

Good luck to shazhaib and Umar Amin at top of order for pakistan.

dinakar said:

I think this is a good move by Afridi. Why?

Let's imagine Ajmal was playing and the 3 quickies would have been Akhtar, Aamer/Asif and Abdul Razzaq. This pitch suits fast bowlers and if Akhtar couldn't bowl out his 10 overs because of his fitness we would only have two quickies left and that could have been disastrous.

Even if Akhtar breaks down (hope not of course) now we still have three fast bowlers in Abdul Razzaq, Aamer and Asif.

Ok, One more hour to go...
Good Luck Pak Team and lets break that losing streak in odi's

makaveli786 said:
Any idea if a TV station in UK is showing this? my friend said geo but its not on their listings :/

Geo Uk .Dont look t their listings they are never right :asif

how much more time before the toss ?and does someone know which channel will be covering the matches in india ?

adarsh_bang said:
how much more time before the toss ?and does someone know which channel will be covering the matches in india ?

NEO, I think. Not sure if it's NEO Sports or NEO Cricket, but if you have NEO Cricket, you probably have NEO Sports. And vice-versa.

TaZ said:
Form guide (most recent first)
Pakistan LLLLL

:)))

in all seriousness though, form guide even if it was WWWWW would rarely apply to the pakistani team.

azk said:
in all seriousness though, form guide even if it was WWWWW would rarely apply to the pakistani team.

Yeah, think it happened a few years ago when we played Zimbabwe and Bangladesh at home :D

Toss is 50-50 One can not do anything about it. :afridi

Man the guy oozes confidence.

any other channel or stream to watch cricket other than geo?
i'm going to go insane if i have to watch an ad between every shoaib delivery :(

ball will swing around in the lights that means we are in for a tough chase !

Afridi: "Toss is 50-50. Never mind that. If you are strong enough toss won't matter. The guys are united and confident. I am enjoying as a captain. More responsibility, more pressure."

:afridi

What a Man. :afridi

What a Beast. :afridi

AFridi: "Toss is 50-50. Never mind that. If you are strong enough toss won't matter. The guys are united and confident. I am enjoying as a captain. More responsibility, more pressure."

Thats the way it should be. Well said.

So what do you think about the kit? Looking good in my opinion.

azk said:
any other channel or stream to watch cricket other than geo?
i'm going to go insane if i have to watch an ad between every shoaib delivery :(

neo sports

IAJ said:
So what do you think about the kit? Looking good in my opinion.

It definitely looked good on Afridi. But he looks good in every dress/kit he puts on. :afridi

I do sound like a gay, don't I?

:))) :))) :)))

Yeah, the kit looks good. :19:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back