Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

Needs to start playing at 4, if given a long run in the ODI squad i think he will succeed but Babar will need to either open or play at 3. Umar Akmal is not a finisher so no point playing him at 5/6. It should be at 4 or not play at all..

Needs to start playing at 4, if given a long run in the ODI squad i think he will succeed but Babar will need to either open or play at 3. Umar Akmal is not a finisher so no point playing him at 5/6. It should be at 4 or not play at all..

Should play at number 3 or number 4 or else not be selected for Pakistan team.

He isn't a finisher and he will never become a finisher. He is poor at calculating the situation and planning & executing his innings.

He isn't a finisher and he will never become a finisher. He is poor at calculating the situation and planning & executing his innings.

Agreed- he played a 50 over innings the other day in a t20 situation- which put too much pressure on himself

Sure, batting at 3 is for lightwieghts who cant do the above. Since everyone knows this is the easiest position to bat.

The Real Umar Akmal is going to show up against his bunny's Australia, to be specific the LAHORE DYNAMITE :afridi expecting him to absolutely destroy their bowling attack

The plan is to punish/reprimand Lahore Dynamite for his last innings vs NZ by not playing him against Australia. Let's see whether Captain or Coach develop a soft corner for him hours before match tommorow.

Take it in the Context of the discussion brother.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Context is clear. you say his inability to finish games means he should bat higher. I could accept if you say something like "I think he is the best batsman in the team and he should be given time to set up an impactful innings"
You bat at number 3 or 4 because you want to be there to finish the game, you dont bat there because you cant make it work at 5 or 6.

Agreed- he played a 50 over innings the other day in a t20 situation- which put too much pressure on himself
His mind was saying :

" Don't play a risky shot "

" Develop an innings "

" Batting at 4 finish the game "

He over did it. His partner got 4 deliveries from spinners which deserved a four or six and he took 4 singles only along with dot balls so he thought I should also build innings and stay on the wicket.

So it was a poor assessment of the situation and when he tried to push on the accelerator he was gone.

Shehzad failed to punish long hops by taking singles to deep midwicket. Your partners performance sometimes rubs on to you.

But both played bizarre terrible innings and most proved that after 7 years of international cricket neither of them is senior nor intelligent mature player.

Im surprised at how he much he has regressed, I don't think he is as talented as people make him out to be nor he is intelligent however we do not have many options.

I do think another option would be to make him open, there is a chance that he could pull it off like Rohit Sharma (I am not comparing the two) and in LOI it is not that difficult opening. I think 3 would be too much for him as number 3 should be reserved for the best batsman in the team who I believe are Haris/Babar.

Im surprised at how he much he has regressed, I don't think he is as talented as people make him out to be nor he is intelligent however we do not have many options.

I do think another option would be to make him open, there is a chance that he could pull it off like Rohit Sharma (I am not comparing the two) and in LOI it is not that difficult opening. I think 3 would be too much for him as number 3 should be reserved for the best batsman in the team who I believe are Haris/Babar.
If you do not have talent than you cannot play such a shot against Morne Morkel out of all.

https://youtu.be/_DwgF_o_MRw

And if you don't have talent than you cannot hit 2 sixes of Lasith Malinga over Long On when he was in his peak years.

https://youtu.be/wNQrfCLxTEo

lol U.Akmal lahore dynamite or a phuss bomb, who never fires on high occasions when needed.

He has regressed so much that he won't even click against his old bunnies.

Umar has a hidden Tattoo "I will never fail against Australia" just like boom boom, he is due a blue moon but even then he is pretty consistent against Australia and I expect fireworks. He'll also be pretty wounded given the criticism he has received and Umar will bat with great freedom as if it's his last knock in a green shirt for a very long time. Have faith brother, lets hold hands and create a circle of positivity to get rid of all the evil pessimistic spirits, work of the devil I tell ya.

If you do not have talent than you cannot play such a shot against Morne Morkel out of all.

https://youtu.be/_DwgF_o_MRw

And if you don't have talent than you cannot hit 2 sixes of Lasith Malinga over Long On when he was in his peak years.

https://youtu.be/wNQrfCLxTEo

Afridi on his day has smacked many bowlers sometimes with fluke. Nasir Jamshed has a 97 against Johnson and co. look at him now. We have been hearing about his tailunt from 7 years. Thats 3 years less than a decade.

Umar has a hidden Tattoo "I will never fail against Australia" just like boom boom, he is due a blue moon but even then he is pretty consistent against Australia and I expect fireworks. He'll also be pretty wounded given the criticism he has received and Umar will bat with great freedom as if it's his last knock in a green shirt for a very long time. Have faith brother, lets hold hands and create a circle of positivity to get rid of all the evil pessimistic spirits, work of the devil I tell ya.
Dude, he is not mentally strong enough to overcome all the criticisms thrown at him. It's a reality, not pessimism. If we bat first then he can or may click, but while chasing against a well known team, then no chance.

Dude, he is not mentally strong enough to overcome all the criticisms thrown at him. It's a reality, not pessimism. If we bat first then he can or may click, but while chasing against a well known team, then no chance.

Am fed up to and not denying the reality you speak off but he'll perform well against Australia iA

Afridi can still claim to have won a lot of matches for Pakistan, infact he has probably won the most Man of the matches which is awesome..... But Umar did almost nothing...

His mind was saying :

" Don't play a risky shot "

" Develop an innings "

" Batting at 4 finish the game "

He over did it. His partner got 4 deliveries from spinners which deserved a four or six and he took 4 singles only along with dot balls so he thought I should also build innings and stay on the wicket.

So it was a poor assessment of the situation and when he tried to push on the accelerator he was gone.

Shehzad failed to punish long hops by taking singles to deep midwicket. Your partners performance sometimes rubs on to you.

But both played bizarre terrible innings and most proved that after 7 years of international cricket neither of them is senior nor intelligent mature player.

Yep and it coincided with shezhad drying up which made it a catastrophe

The End for Umar Akmal for atleast 1 year unless he scores 800+ runs in next Fc season.

Still the end for England tour aswell as series against West Indies.

Because Mohsin Hasan Khan hates him the most plus all not only that but Waqar and Intikhab's reports are against Umar Akmal aswell.

Feels like this was years ago:

I, along with many others, were expecting big things after an amazing PSL and a solid Asia Cup. He disappointed all of us.

Lahore Flop - Umar Akmal would be a better thread title.

Why dont we get rid of him and his Mr.X Tailunt. All talk is about his talent and talent but look at Akmal, He doesnt even seem sane when you look up to his tweets. He should be out for good, Intelligent and Skillful players should be brought in.

Reading some of the comments in the earlier pages of this thread, we had too much faith in this guy :uakmal

let the Lahore Dynamite do this for 4-5 games in a row before he gets praise.

Incredible talent, only a matter of time before he cracks the code and becomes a top ten limited overs mainstay.

What's new, didn't he score couple of 50s in T20 blast last year

He will continue to perform in these leagues and still be inconsistent at international level

We need to drop him for a good year atleast, we need to make sure that he's fighting to get back in the team, he needs to realize he's career is slipping away

and then maybe he will come good

Umar Akmal: Birthday Boy- Can this be his year?

Happy birday to Umar, has seen a lot, done a lot in these past 6 years, as have us fans. Has been a Rollercoaster with him, called talent monster, and while it has been a little sedate this year, can we say there will be some climbs and some dips this year?

What to do with him?

In any case hope he has a good bday.

This year we will realize Umar Akmal is more talented than Kohli! :uakmal :afridi

Happy birthday to him. All I know is he needs to get his head down and sort his game out. I have lost confidence in him if he turns it around I will be happy if he doesn't I won't be shocked

Happy Birthday Umar Akmal.

Want to see a debut like Test hundred & 2nd odi like Odi hundred.

Please start reading from Books kindly and ache bachay bun jao.

Won't mind shots like cover drives of Martin, hooks & pulls of Bond, straight sixes of Malinga, extracover bullet drive of Brett Lee but please play more ground shots kindly.

Happy birthday, Umar Akmal. Despite all the silly things he has done in the past, he is one of my favourites and he's someone who can entertain.

Just needs to sort a couple of things out and in shaa Allah..his future is bright!

Happy birthday to him my favourite batsman i hope he performs to his potential this year

Think itll take a few more years for his brain to fully develop :mc Anyway we dont have many options and I think he should be in our Limited Overs teams

Happy birthday Pakistani talent!

Hope he realises his talent this year like his Indian counterpart:uakmal

A talent that never was.

He is like a promising startup, which showed a lot of promise at the beginning and got good investors and became darling of market observers but never had the right leadership to take it to the heights everyone hoped for. And after so many years investors feel like their money got burnt for no reason and the startup is still a startup.

Happy birthday U Akmal

I repeat,

For number 6 in Odi's you need a player who is super fit, whose batting Intelligence is A+, whose calculations are A+, who is patient and can play with the bowlers mind with his planning and execution of shots to offset their line and length and to force them to get out of their comfort zone.

Not Just the ability to hit Big

In all the areas I have mentioned Umar as a finisher which he is not can be graded as a " B Grade Batsman "and his batting Intelligence as a finisher which he is was will never be is E or F grade.

I maintain,

Umar Akmal should not be selected in Pakistan Odi Squad or Playing Eleven if he is not going to bat at number 3 or number 4.

8 saal ab samajh jao Umar Akmal ko :uak

I repeat,

For number 6 in Odi's you need a player who is super fit, whose batting Intelligence is A+, whose calculations are A+, who is patient and can play with the bowlers mind with his planning and execution of shots to offset their line and length and to force them to get out of their comfort zone.

In all the areas I have mentioned Umar as a finisher which he is not can be graded as a " B Grade Batsman "and his batting Intelligence as a finisher which he is was will never be is E or F grade.

I maintain,

Umar Akmal should not be selected in Pakistan Odi Squad or Playing Eleven if he is not going to bat at number 3 or number 4.

Agreed. I think it was very much evident that he needs some time to get going and build his innings, but once he does, he can be a brutal force. So, yes, batting at No.4 would help big time. However, not until he loses that weight. No way.

Can we end the Umar Akmal chapter once and for all?

How many chances do we need to give him to realize he is not built for this level of cricket?

Needs to make sure he has better fitness and has lost weight for the series vs West Indies.

Forget the debate about his batting or keeping,I have seen him give mandatory overthrows every game...He did that in the last 2 games and I am pretty sure he has done it on more than 2 occasions playing against India

and replace him with ?

That's the logic which has kept Akmal in and around the side for the last eight years despite zero performance.

How about we play an actual opener in the opener's spot who has done well in the domestics, someone like Shahzaib Hasan or Fakhar Zaman.

Or how about we replace him with a middle order batsman who has done well in domestics, how about Saad Ali or Saud Shakeel.

We are never going to find his replacement if we are not going to select them.

That's the logic which has kept Akmal in and around the side for the last eight years despite zero performance.

How about we play an actual opener in the opener's spot who has done well in the domestics, someone like Shahzaib Hasan or Fakhar Zaman.

Or how about we replace him with a middle order batsman who has done well in domestics, how about Saad Ali or Saud Shakeel.

We are never going to find his replacement if we are not going to select them.

i mean who else there to play the lower order hitter role at number 6?

I honestly cannot see anyone beyond Maqsood, and umar's better than him. Hammad and Yamin others if you want to stretch it two allrounders, but we need 2 of the names i have mentioned regardless

I repeat,

I maintain,

Well said. He must open. It's the only way forward

People need to realize Umar isn't a number 6 batsman. Seeing the way he's been handled by the management ever since his career took off, I've given up on them ever seeing the light of day and assessing a player's strengths and weaknesses. If you can't play him in the top 5, don't play him at all. Instead pick a batsman who's better suited to playing at 6 (Hammad Azam maybe). Selecting him and sending him in at 6 won't do either him nor the team any favours.

With Babar, Harris and Sarfraz, chances of him batting in the top/middle order are slim, unless we start playing Sarf as an opener (tbf he hasn't done badly at all when played there). I would say Umar's ideal position in this team would be at 5, and needs to be given a consistent run there to maximize his output.

Last edited:
I repeat,

I maintain,

Completely agree.

He has said it multiple times, that he favours no. 3 and 4 batting positions.

Also, just recently he scored his first ever T20 hundred and he was batting at no. 3.

Deserves a recall. As simple as that. This Pakistan team needs attacking batsmen in the middle order and although Umar doesnt average 40 he is still way better than hacks like Shadab and Asif.

Been saying this for ages. Pakistan need to utalize him instead of ostracising him. They could do well with him as a keeper batsman instead of Sarfaraz

Been saying this for ages. Pakistan need to utalize him instead of ostracising him. They could do well with him as a keeper batsman instead of Sarfaraz

Not a big fan of part time keepers though. Lets play him at 4 or lets do a Rohit Sharma with him? Zaman + Umar with Imam at 3.

Not a fan of contrasting ooening pairs either.

I fear for Umar more as a batsman than his cousin. If his cousin is the best batsman from Pakistan, then god bless pakistan.lol

Deserves a recall. As simple as that. This Pakistan team needs attacking batsmen in the middle order and although Umar doesnt average 40 he is still way better than hacks like Shadab and Asif.

He was better at one stage when he had some hunger in him to do well and his behavior was not so poor as now. And when he was physically very fit and remained Pakistan's top fielder for some time.

But Umar Akmal at this stage can't score runs even at domestic level, his behavior was never good but has worsened lately. And he has become massively over weight. He has not shown any improvement in his attitude, fitness or game.

he's got one 50+ score in his last 15 innings in domestic - thats 1 out of 15 - and he's a mental case

can't believe some lunatic fans want him in the national team

I would have sympathy for him if he was performing in domestic cricket but he isn't doing himself any favour

At least Shahzad was performing in domestic cricket

The most anticipated International Cricket Debut in Pakistan wrt Batsman after Inzamam’s debut was that of Umar Akmal.

At age 17-18 He dominated Australia A in Australia across all formats in 2008-2009 Pakistan A tour of Australia where He was miles ahead of all Aussie and Pak A batsmen.

Indeed Akmal made a terrific start to his Int Cricket aswell with breathtaking 1st Odi and Test Centuries. Akmal dominated peak Malinga, Ajantha and the likes of 90 mph bowling Shane Bond , Chris Martin and peak Vettori. Bond took 8 wickets in the test debut of Akmal where Akmal scored 129 & 75.

Back