Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

Needs to be in the UK for a while, playing County Cricket, whether it being First Class or T20.

Not sure about Lahore Dynamite -- maybe Lahore 'ticking' Timebomb would be a better tag.

Umar is the only youngster who has a potential to go forward in the right direction. Hafeez and Shazad are just hopeless cases.

Pakistan missed the trick by dropping him against Bangla. They might have avoided humiliating whitewash and minnow bowling of Bangla could have helped regained his form. In any case he will benefit greatly from a good batting coach. Pak should persist with him for at least 10 matches and go from there.

Umar is the only youngster who has a potential to go forward in the right direction. Hafeez and Shazad are just hopeless cases.

Pakistan missed the trick by dropping him against Bangla. They might have avoided humiliating whitewash and minnow bowling of Bangla could have helped regained his form. In any case he will benefit greatly from a good batting coach. Pak should persist with him for at least 10 matches and go from there.

This.

Though it makes sense that he has attitude problems, why keep Shehzad in T20 without Umar?

(Stupidly enough, Shehzad would be much better to keep in Tests).

If not ODI's we should have atleast had Umar in t20's. It was quite harsh, and Umar is no where near as bad as Shehzad when it comes to attitude and trying to make yourself look like Bradman over twitter.

Umar Akmal oozing class.

79* off 57 so far.

Great innings. Need him back ASAP in our lower order.

The ONLY proper international class batsman in Lahore Lions.

Rest they have mediocre club level batsmen.

Shehzad
Saad Nasim
Jamshed
Hafeez

I don't what his deal, as soon as we drop him he starts smashing everyone to all parts.. and then when he returns he looks like he has turned a new leaf, only to go back to his old ways after a series or two.

Brilliant innings today. Look it's no secret that Umar makes our best ODI/T20 XI any day, but the fact is that he clearly needs some time away from international cricket.

Definitely needs a F/C season and some big hundreds so that he learns how to occupy the crease once again, and not have an attention span of 20-25 deliveries on average.

It'd be a mistake if he's brought back into the team for the Sri Lankan tour, but if it means the end of Fawad Alam, then I might have second thoughts about it.

Controlled aggression by umar akmal.
A very sensible innings.
A very good innings.
MashaAllah.
Wish and pray he plays like this all this tournament.
He paced the innings to perfection also took responsibility in his approach towards batting.
This is what is needed from him by his motherland also.
Keep it up Umar and improve further. You have potential to be top scorer in super 8 T20 , DO IT

Controlled aggression by umar akmal.
A very sensible innings.
A very good innings.
MashaAllah.
Wish and pray he plays like this all this tournament.
He paced the innings to perfection also took responsibility in his approach towards batting.
This is what is needed from him by his motherland also.
Keep it up Umar and improve further. You have potential to be top scorer in super 8 T20 , DO IT

That's the difference between an Umar Akmal in the top 4 and an Umar Akmal at the end of an innings at 6/7 or 8.

I wish Pak team management understood this as well. Dropping him from that position after one bad match won't help either.

Last edited:
The challenge is how to remain an Umar fan but not get overly excited with this innings, because it was expected.

[MENTION=7701]Prince of Pakistan[/MENTION]
I agree he should bat at Number 4 for pakistan but even if he plays in the lower order due to emergence of haris sohail or anyone else then too he should not play senselessly and like a hack/slogger.
The way he played today he should translate this way even if he comes after 30 or 35 or even 40 overs . Take responsibility and play with calmness and a method . He needs to know he is also better at carpet shots . He doesn't need to always hit in the air.
Hope he comes back much improved and with a bang.
A very good innings today

If management wants him to bat to his potential then trust him to bat in the top four.

His versatile game may fool you into thinking he is a capable number 6 but he isn't mentally sharp enough. #6 is a crucial spot in ODIs, it could turn the game on its head or cause a collapse.

I would open him with Azhar.

He'll probably be recalled for the Sri Lanka tour but I hope the selectors just leave him be for now. This cycle of drop-recall-drop-recall won't do him any favours. Let him get his head down and get through a solid season of domestic cricket.

Then by next year when we have crucial tours to England and Australia he can start afresh.

He should not be brought back in the team right away , a year away can teach him a lot. Lets see how he reacts if he is not selected for srilanka tour. His big brother is his biggest enemy.

If management wants him to bat to his potential then trust him to bat in the top four.

His versatile game may fool you into thinking he is a capable number 6 but he isn't mentally sharp enough. #6 is a crucial spot in ODIs, it could turn the game on its head or cause a collapse.

This.

Just like his brother he isn't a thinking cricketer. Cricketers like these should be given freedom to express themselves. Let him bat in the top 4 so that he can play the ball on merit instead of being forced to hit every ball out of the ground at 6/7.

Bhai har kisi ko opening or number teen pay khelna hai tou char, paanch or chaay pe kaun ayega?

Excellent knock from Umar today. Very mature, sensible, dynamic innings. Very impressive.

So happy to witness it.

Umar needs to be called back ASAP.

Great Innings today. I'm interested to see how the T20 blast in England will go for him.

Batting at 4 or opener should be his positions in cricket. I'd say 4 in T20 and 1 in ODI's.

Needs some more time to develop away before returning to the International team, he has got off to a good start lets see how good he does for the rest of the tournament and in June the T20 Blast.

Opening could turn Umar's career around, probably the thousandth time I'm posting this on this forum, but sadly its not an idea that the management will ever entertain.

Opening could turn Umar's career around, probably the thousandth time I'm posting this on this forum, but sadly its not an idea that the management will ever entertain.

expect a pretty 20-30 before he throws his wickets away

but atleast it would be a brisk start

Well, you have also produced the biggest idiot in Pakistan cricket history.

This is pretty lame my friend. The guy whoever brought this convo up I don't know why he does it. I watched him today a bit, he was in sublime touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

expect a pretty 20-30 before he throws his wickets away

but atleast it would be a brisk start

I disagree. Umar is at his best when he has license to attack. He is an impact player who does not know how to construct an innings. This is why I disagree with the idea that he should be given a lengthy run at 3/4 because I don't think he's cut for the middle-order. It is no surprise that his best performances in the last few years have come at 6 and he has struggled every time he has come in early.

He can definitely play the impact opener role better than anyone else in the country, and really make good use of the first 15-20 overs. He can be the perfect foil to Azhar, and if he averages 35 @90 which he can, it's good enough.

This is pretty lame my friend. The guy whoever brought this convo up I don't know why he does it. I watched him today a bit, he was in sublime touch.

Forgive me for not comprehending your subtleties when you have produced the biggest idiot in Pakistan history. Anyhow, good that you acknowledged that he looked in sublime touch.

Forgive me for not comprehending your subtleties when you have produced the biggest idiot in Pakistan history. Anyhow, good that you acknowledged that he looked in sublime touch.

And who's that biggest idiot btw

I don't understand why they have so much hatred for karachi !

I am from Karachi but you have overrated many many Karachi players, you and BD are experts in overhyping cricketers.

I am from Karachi but you have overrated many many Karachi players, you and BD are experts in overhyping cricketers.

Can you please specify the over hyped players ? Sarfraz, haris sohail, saad nasim any one else please ?

Can you please specify the over hyped players ? Sarfraz, haris sohail, saad nasim any one else please ?

Fawad Alam.

Also, all the victim mentality type posts are not cool.

Fawad Alam.

Please check fawad stats! He hasn't done much in his outings recently and deserves to be dropped. And yea those victims posts are true because this has been happening from a long time.

Pakistani fans have a habit of either underrating a player severely or overrating a player beyond belief. Right now it looks like it's cool to hate on Akmal. The guy is a solid LOI player by our standards and should never have been dropped from t20s, especially not when someone like Shehzad got a game. He saved his team mates' behinds from Australia in the t20 wc last year when we were back to our 3 RPO approach, and today played another good innings. So much for being a #6 slogger. If management can grow a pair and give him a couple of games in the top 4 instead of just 1 game 3 years ago, we'll be set.

It is painful watching someone of Akmal's talent constantly throw it away and underperform. Yet this is the reality with him -- he may just be that dumb. I don't know if he's capable of changing. So the question really is, do we have anyone who is capable of replacing the (limited) contributions he makes, because you have to assume he won't develop a cricketing brain NOW.

We have many options to replace Shehzad. We don't have that many of Akmal's natural ability, and I don't think he's really a bad guy. I want no part of Shehzad on our team, not for a long time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Akmal back.

It is painful watching someone of Akmal's talent constantly throw it away and underperform. Yet this is the reality with him -- he may just be that dumb. I don't know if he's capable of changing. So the question really is, do we have anyone who is capable of replacing the (limited) contributions he makes, because you have to assume he won't develop a cricketing brain NOW.

We have many options to replace Shehzad. We don't have that many of Akmal's natural ability, and I don't think he's really a bad guy. I want no part of Shehzad on our team, not for a long time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Akmal back.
The closest to Umar in natural ability is Babar, his cousin.

Fawad Alam.

Which player has Fahad over hyped?

Sarfaraz is a special cricketer and deserves the hype. He is worth it.

Fahad is a very good poster.

Which player has Fahad over hyped?

Sarfaraz is a special cricketer and deserves the hype. He is worth it.

Fahad is a very good poster.

I didn't say Sarfraz Ahmed, I said other Karachi players. Always playing the victim for those undeserving players doesn't make someone a good poster. This is my personal opinion and being from Karachi myself doesn't reflect our image in a positive way. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Don't recall him yet. Let him plays this whole domestic season, do well in first class, hopefully do well in county, maybe get a BBL contract .

I want umar to come back as the batsman who can bat at 4 in all formats for Pakistan. He still only 24, younger then when many of our batsman debut, i still have hope. This innings should glimpses of what he can do if he gets his head right, slow pitch with the next best score being 25.

This dropped for one tour and back for the next improves nothing.

Don't recall him yet. Let him plays this whole domestic season, do well in first class, hopefully do well in county, maybe get a BBL contract .

I want umar to come back as the batsman who can bat at 4 in all formats for Pakistan. He still only 24, younger then when many of our batsman debut, i still have hope. This innings should glimpses of what he can do if he gets his head right, slow pitch with the next best score being 25.

This dropped for one tour and back for the next improves nothing.

I concur.

He needs to play the whole first class season , if he plays the season like he played today then good things are ahead of him. Some time away from international cricket and limelight can do him a world of good. I hope he doesn't come back to his old self in the next innings though.

Interested in FC right now.

T20 domestic in Pakistan must be quite easy for players like Misbah,Malik,Umar,Sarfraz,Shafiq etc

But FC in England is way to prove yourself. If he does well for leicestershire, he probably will get a contract for a FC season.

Please check fawad stats! He hasn't done much in his outings recently and deserves to be dropped. And yea those victims posts are true because this has been happening from a long time.

Yaar, I hail from karachi but what is wrong with the system, all it produces is:
Khurrum manzoor
Fawad alam
Sharjeel
Mohammad sami
The Farhat brothers

The only real contribution in recent times is
Asad shafiq
Sarfaraz (still need to see more from him)

And this professor siraj character does he plan to be burried in a tomb in kcca or has he retired for now?

Definitely should be in the T20 team. Correct me if I am wrong, but he's never represented Pakistan in Pakistan, has he?

Yaar, I hail from karachi but what is wrong with the system, all it produces is:
Khurrum manzoor
Fawad alam
Sharjeel
Mohammad sami
The Farhat brothers

The only real contribution in recent times is
Asad shafiq
Sarfaraz (still need to see more from him)

And this professor siraj character does he plan to be burried in a tomb in kcca or has he retired for now?

The only problem is we see players according to our demands and situations. These guys have done well from time to time and the players playing now might be one odd up from them. But these guys has not done too bad that they are being criticised here. I don't understand why don't people expect too much every time. What about players like kamran akmal, umar akmal, hafeez they all are minnow bashers. Why aren't they talked about much

I disagree. Umar is at his best when he has license to attack. He is an impact player who does not know how to construct an innings. This is why I disagree with the idea that he should be given a lengthy run at 3/4 because I don't think he's cut for the middle-order. It is no surprise that his best performances in the last few years have come at 6 and he has struggled every time he has come in early.

He can definitely play the impact opener role better than anyone else in the country, and really make good use of the first 15-20 overs. He can be the perfect foil to Azhar, and if he averages 35 @90 which he can, it's good enough.

I second u here!

Like i said earlier u agree or not he is the most talented batsman in pak...even if he isn't making full use of his ability but still he is better then saad nasim , rizwan , sami and co

I have said consistently that Umer deserves a prolonged go at 3 or at the very latest at 4. Guys like Hafeez are just far too inconsistent to bat in the top 3. But people dismiss my suggestion as if I'm suggesting Mohammed Irfan should bat at 3!

Fact is that Umer has been given 1 innings in his entire career at 3 and only 5 innings at 4. He is asked to slog when the rest of the team has collapsed above him and it's unfair. Give him a chance at 3 for a prolonged period and I am confident he will give you results.

Notice that all but one shot in that video are on-side slogs.

I would rather they keep him away for longer, but if he must then let's bring him back to t20

Wish he can show this consistency while playing for Pakistan. Real dynamite stuff in PSL, pity his team was rubbish, could have entertained us more.

The team management should be fired if Akmal doesn't get to bat at #3 in T20s from here on out. He's clearly enjoying batting there and has been playing like he is capable of. A century doesn't seem far off.

After the World Cup is in the bag, InshAllah, Akmal should be brought back into the ODI team too. #4 might be his best position in that format.

He's still 25 years old so he can still become a superstar.

I think, if anything we have learned so far from the failed experiences of Wasim Raja and Co is that special talents needs to be handles especially. I hope Akmal plays at 3 when the openers get a good start and demoted when early wickets fell. Need to unleash him when the team has set a platform and protect him when there is not. Use him as a trump card.

In t20s he needs to come at number 3 4 and if he has the same approach i am sure he can handle the early swing as well.

These two tournaments will determine whether he should be brought back to odi team or not. If he continues to play with same approach in the wt20 and asia cup then he should bat at 3/4 in odis in future. Best of luck to him.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Waqar and Co. still bat him at number 6 for the last 4-5 overs.

They just don't seem to grasp the requirements of modern international cricket.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I really wouldn't be surprised if Waqar and Co. still bat him at number 6 for the last 4-5 overs.

They just don't seem to grasp the requirements of modern international cricket.

with the squad as it is they might not have a choice, to many top heavy players and not enough strikers at the bottom

with the squad as it is they might not have a choice, to many top heavy players and not enough strikers at the bottom
True and quite mind boggling why they selected so many accumulators. You would think we would have learnt by now having our backsides handed to us on countless occasions by teams who have embraced the demands of modern day cricket.

The Real Umar Akmal is going to show up against his bunny's Australia, to be specific the LAHORE DYNAMITE :afridi expecting him to absolutely destroy their bowling attack

Back