Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

IAJ

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
I have allways liked his aggressive style and today he showed why we need to keep an eye on him. He smashed 39 runs of only 20 balls at a strike rate of 195. He is only 18 and it will be fun to see his progress.

He has already smashed 248 of 225 balls in a first class match, and have another score of 186 not out. A fine prospect :)

Last edited:
He is a very aggressive batsman. Made an impact in his first season, but then fell off the radar.

I like his "look".

IAJ said:
I have allways liked his aggressive style and today he showed why we need to keep an eye on him. He smashed 39 runs of only 20 overs at a strike rate of 195. He is only 18 and it will be fun to see his progress.

He has already smashed 248 of 225 balls in a first class match, and have another score of 186 not out. A fine prospect :)

20 balls u mean?

Hope he continues the good work over the next yr or so

Zaz said:
20 balls u mean?

Hope he continues the good work over the next yr or so

yes in 20 balls, thanks brother.

Excellent timer of the ball, good footwork, good improvisor. At times he slogs when he doesnt have to.

Excellent prospect though.

He was one of the few players I liked today. He gets over aggressive at times, but still someone to keep an eye on in the future.

Nasir Jamshed and Umar Akmal impressed today. Shehzad played well and a s/r of 100 is okay when chasing 135. Umar Amin flopped today as did Shahzaib Hasan.

Another good innings by young akmal, 44 from 33 balls only :)

He is another Afridi like player , close eyes and swing the ball. I remember his inning in under 19 WC semi final in Malaysia, he could not touch ball

Umar is talented but very immature, both with the bat and with his brain. I spent a few days with the SNGPL team the season before last when they were playing HBL in the final of QEA Trophy and realised he needs to take cricket seriously if he needs to succeed. Even his teammates shared this opinion..

Loved his confidence though as a 17-yr old! Talent + confidence = Imminent success (i hope).

He seems to be talented... But he is not giving everything.... Otherwise, he can be Rated-A batsman for Pakistan..

mnoman15 said:
He is another Afridi like player , close eyes and swing the ball. I remember his inning in under 19 WC semi final in Malaysia, he could not touch ball

He was a disappointment in the WC, but I remember the U19 tri series in SL before the WC he completely owned the whole tournament and played extremely well and aggressively. I think this was after a very solid QEA season as well.

Maybe the pressure of expectation after the run in QEA and the tri-series caused him to slide in the WC and after, as he didn't have as good a QEA season this last time as he did 2 seasons ago. Fortunately it looks like hes coming round :59:

Umar Akmal and Nasir Jamshed have really gotten my attention. Ahmed Shehzad has the tools but buckles down to much. That Azeem Ghumon also looked good.

Umar has changed his stance, he has stance more like Kamran Akmal. I think he will definitely be selected for ODI at some point in time.

honestly we should just put

k. akmal
u. akmal
a. akmal
f. alam as our entire middle order in the future . lol

Akmal has definitely improved his batting but still slogs every now and then. We do need these sort of players for T20 and ODIs so it's good to see an aggressive option for future.

Batting talent there are a lot of players out there performing very well like Umar Akmal, Fawad Alam etc. Bowling wise, I think most of the bowlers look raw, but talent looks like it's there. Some bowlers have impressed me, Mohammed Naved, Asad Ali, Usman Malik.

now this guy is a true Dynamite...looks like the perfect no. 3 to me...we should seriously think about getting him into the team

AhmedZulfiqar said:
now this guy is a true Dynamite...looks like the perfect no. 3 to me...we should seriously think about getting him into the team
You gotta be kidding me!!! With so much more talented batsmen in Pakistan than him, its really stupid to select him for such an important position.

srh said:
You gotta be kidding me!!! With so much more talented batsmen in Pakistan than him, its really stupid to select him for such an important position.

really? name me 3 other talented middle order batsmen in Pakistani cricket

A decent 54 from 73 balls against Australia A today. Pity that he couldn't go on and make a hundred but nevertheless a good start of the tour.

Overrated...Overrated...

anohter one of those guys who has been over rated by PP members....i dont see him in pakistan national team anytime soon...not happening..

I think hes good for T20 cricket (since hes aggressive by nature) and could replace guyz like Shahzaib if he does well in the domestic cricket...

Wudn't it be a nice sight to see Akmal brothers opening for Pakistan in T20! :akmal

IAJ said:
A decent 54 from 73 balls against Australia A today. Pity that he couldn't go on and make a hundred but nevertheless a good start of the tour.

Because he is suffering from disease called Brain Fart just like his brother suffering!

Afridi_Fan said:
Heard lot of him, never saw him bat.So cant really comment.

Slightly more talented version of Kamran Akmal having more effective late cut and can play around his legs more beautifully than Kamran ,not good at short pitch stuff but can handle it and usually loses his wicket at the crucial time.

toooo irresponsible

wants to hit almost everyball past the boundary

a great talent in his maiden first class season he had an average of over 80 which has since dropped due to some bad performances in the last season.hope he can continue to make more runs

He is very aggresive but i think technecaly not that much good like other agresive batsmen(gilli,gayl etc)

Good talent no doubt. He is aggressive which can sometimes work in your favour and sometimes not. He is a young man so InshaALLAH he can learn to play responsible innings.

One for the future as long as he doesn't lose his head. He has all the shots - plays some ugly/swipe shots which he doesn't need to play.

Last edited:
I dont mind this. We need to have as many aggressive and six hitting batters as possible. We have so many options now. It is only good for our ODI and T-20 team

1) Nasir Jamshed
2) Imran Nazir
3) Shahzaib Hassan
4) Umar Akmal
5) Afridi
6) Razzaq
7) Akmal
8) Misbah

Pak_mystery said:
^ i think Rana naveed can make your team too as a six hitter..

Yep, i definately under estimated him. He wasnt used properly as a hard hitter. He can hit the ball hard. He can be used as a floater.

Umar Akmal is definitely a star in the making...do not discount this boy, he will our no.3 very soon Inshallah

KooLMAN said:
He is very aggresive but i think technecaly not that much good like other agresive batsmen(gilli,gayl etc)
Oh Boy he is so young & new in da business its not correct to compare them

^ yep i think he can play better as a middle order at no.3 .. They should never let him open he'll lose all his confidence .. We all saw how he faild last year in the WC..

haroonrasheed320 said:
Oh Boy he is so young & new in da business its not correct to compare them

and what is wrong with his technique really?

he's aggressive , he's talented and he's Kamran akmal's brother .
He will be in the team for sure in the future

Along with Nasir Jamshed the most talented bat in Pakistan if he can put away those ugly swipes he will be a star. I saw him treat Ajmal like a school boy during recent 20/20

Has talent but is still a little too impulsive. He needs more time out in the middle and hopefully will get better and better. If he does improve, then has a chance of taking one of the middle order places from Yousuf, Misbah, or Younis in a few years time.

Pak_mystery said:
^ i think Rana naveed can make your team too as a six hitter..

Rana is own his way from anout and out fast bowler to a genuine all rounder.
County stints had a very positive effect on his batting and although he can't be more than a bowling all rounder at the moment some more exposure and experience will act as a real boost for his batting

Umar Akmal made a good century against Australia A today. And had a very good SR (sr of 90 as he brought up his 100).
Very good start of a long tour.

Akmal saving the team again. Excellent knock after the most of the batsmen had failed. Keep an eye on this guy.

He is outscoring Fahad Iqbal by 3:1 in the partnership.
They got together at 41-5. The score 185-5. It is a partnership of 144 out of which Fahad has scored only 39.

Great display. We may found a replacement for Misbah if/when he retires.

JeeraBlade said:
He is outscoring Fahad Iqbal by 3:1 in the partnership.
They got together at 41-5. The score 185-5. It is a partnership of 144 out of which Fahad has scored only 39.

Great display. We may found a replacement for Misbah if/when he retires.

Indeed. In the last year or so many promising batsmen are making themselves known. As well as Umar and Fawad we have Sheharyar Ghani, Azeem Ghumman, Nasir Jamshed and Ahmed Shehzad.

Insha'Allah these youngsters will continue their good form, as Pak definately needs quality batsmen in the years to come.

Great display from Akmal.

He had a stunning first season in domestic cricket, then for reason flopped in the second and I though bowlers had found a significant weakness (still may be the case).

But twin centuries in Australia against their A side has to be commended, Pakistani batsmen don't traditionally do well here.

One of the most impressive thing is the strike rate, like Sehwag if you score that many runs in that short space of time, it can completely change the momentum of a match and that is was what happened with this innings.

In a few years when MoYo, YK, Misbah retire, these guys will be able to step up hopefully

These last 2 innings for Umar have really made a lot of people sit up and take note of this lads talent. These innings should not be underestimated, there are players out there who played for donkey's years and never scored a half century in Australia never mind a century.

Umar, must be very close to a senior call up if continues to rack up the runs for Pakistan A in Australia.

Hes got all the shots and talent, he just needs to be nurtured in right way!

on a side note if this kid was not brother of Kamran would he have come through and got an opportunity?I am thinking of many Umars who were talented but did not have a brother in pakistan team and did not have chance to show their talent.

saeed-sohail said:
on a side note if this kid was not brother of Kamran would he have come through and got an opportunity?I am thinking of many Umars who were talented but did not have a brother in pakistan team and did not have chance to show their talent.

It's unlikely, even Kamran was lucky to get a chance.

The story I heard was that Kamran went to the trials as a batsman but never got picked, then he heard they couldnt find a wicketkeeper and so he donned the gloves to get a spot.

siccric said:
In a few years when MoYo, YK, Misbah retire, these guys will be able to step up hopefully
These guys need some exposure before they come and replace guys like Younis and Yousuf. The likes of Alam, especially, should have at least 10 tests to his name when the time comes.

In an ideal world Akmal would be rewarded for this with a call-up to the senior squad in place of Bhanja. But we all know that's not happening.

Mercenary said:
It's unlikely, even Kamran was lucky to get a chance.

The story I heard was that Kamran went to the trials as a batsman but never got picked, then he heard they couldnt find a wicketkeeper and so he donned the gloves to get a spot.[/QUOTE]

That would explain so....SO many things about some aspects of akmals keeping.

Umar akmal is killing Aus A. Umar Akmal 70 47b, 6x4, 4x6, SR: 148.94

He's playing reverse sweep and kp paddle sweep.

Over 43.4: Bollinger to Umar Akmal, SIX, well three dots are long forgotten as Akmal launches that miles over long on, onto the Greg Chappell Drive and pretty much out of the ground! 5 sixes from Umar Akmal today.

Over 43.5: Bollinger to Umar Akmal, FOUR, short ball helped around the corner and down to the vacant fine leg fence.

umar akmal scores a century!!!

i think umar should be send to sri lanka to replace either butt or malik. what do y'll think?

young fellow, I believe he is a middle order batsman, why cant he at this early stage of his career try out as an opener.........knowing if he succeeds he will have a better chance of been called up early enough for the national team.

let him finish the tour atleast.
But this tour is proving to be very good for our A team.
We must have permanent A team ready to replace unfit / out of form guys in our national team.
I think Credit goes to Abdul Qadir for boldly picking this squad and these guys are proving their worth, because first time in history of Pakistan guys have been picked on the basis of performance.
I must say even fahad iqbal is not doing bad, although his level of performance is not as good as other guys.
the only notable omission in this squad has been yasir shah! i am missing him the most. He could have done much better on these australian wickets.

Last edited:
This guy seems to be a real gem, lets see how long it gets before he plays for Pakistan at International level.

Come on Malik and Misbah raise your game, Alam and Umer are breathing down your neck.

Nice to know that, umer akmal is scoring 100 and 100 and hope PAK A wins the Aus A tour in odis.

Back