ICC World Cup 2023: India v Pakistan | Match 12 | Ahmedabad | 14 October | Pakistan innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1697217323529.png

In the realm of cricket, arch-rivals India and Pakistan have a rich history. Pakistan holds the upper hand in the ODI format with 73 wins compared to India's 56 losses. However, when it comes to the Cricket World Cup, India boasts an impressive track record.

Since their first encounter in the World Cup back in 1992, India hasn't suffered a single defeat against Pakistan in the tournament. The anticipation and stakes have reached new heights as both teams have performed exceptionally well in their initial two matches of the current tournament.

Babar Azam's team made quick work of the Netherlands to kickstart their campaign and then showcased their batting prowess by achieving the highest successful chase in the history of Cricket World Cups.

Although the usually reliable Babar and Imam-ul-Haq have yet to shine in the tournament, Abdullah Shafique and Mohammad Rizwan have already displayed strong form by scoring centuries against Sri Lanka.

The rivals have only faced each other in one ODI match since the 2019 Cricket World Cup, during the Asia Cup last month, where centuries from Kohli and Rahul propelled India to an emphatic 228-run victory.

When: October 14, 2023, 2:00 PM IST

Where: Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad

Teams

India:

Shubman Gill dedicated half an hour to practice two days before the game. On the day preceding the match, the team's captain, Rohit Sharma, hinted at a 99% chance of Gill's participation when asked. Gill later joined the team for practice on the eve of the match, but a final decision on his involvement is expected to be made closer to the game. In the meantime, it's anticipated that Shardul Thakur will retain his spot in the lineup over Ravichandran Ashwin, as spin is expected to play a lesser role in the contest.

From a tactical and strategic perspective, the showdown between Kuldeep Yadav and Babar Azam was highly anticipated but unfortunately did not materialize during the Asia Cup, as the left-arm spinner delivered a remarkable delivery in Manchester. Kuldeep has dismissed the Pakistan skipper twice in just 18 balls bowled to him. How Pakistan's top batsman overcomes his somewhat lackluster performance in ODIs this year (with an average of 38.06 and a strike rate of 78.68) and navigates through the crucial middle overs against Kuldeep's spin could significantly impact Pakistan's batting performance. It's also worth keeping an eye on how India's middle-order, with a revamped approach compared to four years ago, matches up against Pakistan's struggling spin duo of Shadab Khan and Mohammad Nawaz.

Pakistan:

Babar's side is in excellent condition, and it's highly unlikely that they will make any changes to the lineup that secured victory over Sri Lanka.

From a tactical and strategic standpoint, Shaheen Afridi played a crucial role in Pakistan's most unforgettable World Cup clash against India. He delivered a remarkable opening spell in Dubai two years ago, dismissing Rohit Sharma and KL Rahul. Now, he confronts the task of duplicating that impact against a powerful batting order that is predominantly right-handed and susceptible to his left-arm angle.

Squads:

India Squad: Rohit Sharma(c), Ishan Kishan, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul(w), Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Shubman Gill, Ravichandran Ashwin, Mohammed Shami, Suryakumar Yadav

Pakistan Squad: Abdullah Shafique, Imam-ul-Haq, Babar Azam(c), Mohammad Rizwan(w), Saud Shakeel, Iftikhar Ahmed, Shadab Khan, Mohammad Nawaz, Hasan Ali, Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf, Agha Salman, Fakhar Zaman, Usama Mir, Mohammad Wasim Jr

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Last edited:
Nothing beats the excitement of an India-Pakistan game. I hope we see a good game of cricket!

I have a strong intuition that this match is going to be one-sided, reminiscent of the T20 World Cup in 2016. India as usual, will commence as the favorites. However, Pakistan on their day, can be a formidable opponent. The question remains: will this indeed be the day?

So far all my world cup predictions have been correct. I really want to take the biggest risk and say something I do not believe in, which is Pakistan will win.

But India will win. I'm praying to God that this time I'm wrong though.

The hype of this match is too high. The greatest rivalry in sports history for me. Who will win? That is something we cannot predict when Pakistan is playing because you never know.

Feeling hopeful!

Both teams playing well, pitch will be great for batting. Hope Shaheen finds some form.

Exactly right, just another group game
Sets the momentum for rest of the tournament
2021 t20 india lost---knocked out
2022 asia cup india lost- knocked out
2023 asia cup Pak lost- Knocked out

only exception is come from behind the stotry in 2017 CT.

2007 t20 group game won by India final won by India .

Winning in group stages can be a confidence booster too , if they meet again knock outs.

I want a close contest. If pak go down fighting I won't mind.
Fielding effort in Asia cup game was abysmal. It showed our players were not up to the mark mentally

Sets the momentum for rest of the tournament
2021 t20 india lost---knocked out
2022 asia cup india lost- knocked out
2023 asia cup Pak lost- Knocked out

only exception is come from behind the stotry in 2017 CT.

2007 t20 group game won by India final won by India .

Winning in group stages can be a confidence booster too , if they meet again knock outs.
None of those tournaments had 9 group games where every team faces every other team. If we manage to win it’ll definitely increase confidence and have us on the right track, but if we lose we still have a good shot at Semi Finals.

None of those tournaments had 9 group games where every team faces every other team. If we manage to win it’ll definitely increase confidence and have us on the right track, but if we lose we still have a good shot at Semi Finals.
This tournament is like IPL. One loss or dent in NRR hurts at the stage of play offs.

On Paper India is Favorite, But i had this feeling that match will not be that easy for India. If Pak have good 1st Powerplay than it will be a close game.

Kudos to the pak team who got the intensity of indo-pak rivalry back. All the best to both teams and may the best team win. Want it a close game. I dont mind an Indian loss if it goes down to the wire like 2022 t20 worldcup albiet I would not want India losing.

Anyone think there’s an argument for 4 fast bowlers if the pitch doesn’t show signs that it’ll spin? Perhaps Mohammad Wasim in for Shadab or Nawaz?

PAKISTAN IS OURS AND THE STARS WILL SHINE ONCE MORE!!

LIONS OF THE SOIL, TODAY YOU ROAR!!!

MAUKAAAAAA!!!

PAKISTAN ZINDABAAAAAADDDD!!!!

Oh Lord, please give us this day.

As an indian fan, so nice to team PAK's body
Anyone think there’s an argument for 4 fast bowlers if the pitch doesn’t show signs that it’ll spin? Perhaps Mohammad Wasim in for Shadab or Nawaz?
It's a black soil which has assistance for spin as per pre-match media reports. If it's 4 fast bowlers and one spinner, it will be similar to Aus attack. The leggie Usama mir should come into picture

As an indian fan, so nice to team PAK's body

It's a black soil which has assistance for spin as per pre-match media reports. If it's 4 fast bowlers and one spinner, it will be similar to Aus attack. The leggie Usama mir should come into picture
I don't think that Usama will play unless Shadab is in. 2 leg spinners will be new stuff for Pakistan.

On Paper India is Favorite, But i had this feeling that match will not be that easy for India. If Pak have good 1st Powerplay than it will be a close game.
Both Ravi Shastri and Mathew Hayden during pre-match show, "In all the world cup loses including recent 2022 t20 worldcup, Pakistan had their moments and failed to seize at crucial junctures. Today too, they will have their moments and need to seize the moments"

If it's just another Odi india would've Won 9 out of 10 games but worldcup is something else so both teams Just 50:50 in today's match in my opinion.

India against Pakistan is a game like no other, and once more, the eyes of the world will be centred around what is sure to be another thrilling encounter between these two rivals.

The challenge for India will be handling the pressure. When we play against Pakistan, we know how big the occasion is, lots of celebrities turn up and they will be playing in front of 120,000 people in Ahmedabad. It’s always an amazing spectacle and this will be no different.

Both teams have won two from two so they come into the match with a lot of confidence. It sets the game up perfectly.

India need to play as normally as they can. They know how to cope with the pressure, we have played Pakistan in 50-over World Cups seven times and have never lost.

The good thing for India is that Virat Kohli loves the big occasion. Whenever Pakistan come, he wants to be the hero, he wants to be the man of the moment. It’s why we call him the King of the Chase.

He thrives in this arena because there is a lot of pressure on him. He says it’s just another game but he prepares himself very differently. He listens to a lot of Punjabi music, he loves to mingle around with the boys. And when the match starts, he switches on like a pro fighter.

From an Indian perspective, it has been great to see Jasprit Bumrah playing really well. He is bowling with pace and is swinging it with the new ball. But the best thing about him is that he is finishing ten overs. We’ve seen that in the Asia Cup and we’ve seen that against Australia. He’s enjoying his run-up. He’s a local boy, he’s from Ahmedabad so he will also enjoy the pressure.

Of course, we shouldn’t forget that Pakistan have their own very good fast bowling line-up. Shaheen Shah Afridi is looking good and he will swing the ball up front. The openers have to bat really carefully against him.

Against Afghanistan, Rohit Sharma scored his seventh century at a World Cup, which is a new record, so we know he is in form. Alongside him, Ishan Kishan got some important runs as well. The key to the game may be India’s openers facing up against Pakistan’s opening bowling partnership.

One area I think India have an advantage is in the spin department. We saw in the Asia Cup that Pakistan struggled to deal with them, and between Kuldeep Yadav and Ravindra Jadeja, along with maybe R Ashwin, India possess a lots of threats.

Pakistan have struggled a bit at the top of the order, especially Imam-ul-Haq, although Abdullah Shafique is playing well. Realistically, they need a big performance from Babar Azam if they are to get a win.

We have seen in past World Cup matches that they can struggle when the pressure is on in these games. So India need to make sure that when they are on top, they press home their advantage. They must not let Pakistan fight back into the game.

The other key is playing the situation of the match. I remember in 2011 in the semi-finals, I came in with the score at 187 for five and had to bat with the tail. That day, I knew that I could not focus on all the expectations and just had to play what was in front of us.

Four years later, I came and joined Virat in the middle and were able to bat together for 15 overs and put on 100. That is important in this match, put on those partnerships of 10 to 15 overs and you can put all the pressure on Pakistan.

I think India have a better chance to win because we have proven we can handle those tense moments, but, with the world watching, there will be a lot of pressure.

Personally, ODI is my favorite format in World Cup. When it comes to India vs Pakistan, it's always fascinating to see both teams on the field for about 8 hours. No doubt, ODI is a formidable format and should not be scrapped off in the near future; instead, it should be limited, as most cricket fans from the 90s and early 20s love this format a lot.

Personally, ODI is my favorite format in World Cup. When it comes to India vs Pakistan, it's always fascinating to see both teams on the field for about 8 hours. No doubt, ODI is a formidable format and should not be scrapped off in the near future; instead, it should be limited, as most cricket fans from the 90s and early 20s love this format a lot.
I cannot agree more with that fact. The biggest rivalry should be kept on going as long as even 1 person is interested in cricket. ODI format is time-consuming and is not as fast as T20 but tests and Odi's are the real deal. Cannot just scrapp off these formats.

I cannot agree more with that fact. The biggest rivalry should be kept on going as long as even 1 person is interested in cricket. ODI format is time-consuming and is not as fast as T20 but tests and Odi's are the real deal. Cannot just scrapp off these formats.
ODI’s will only be the real deal when they sort out the balance between bat and ball.

The format isn’t dying, it is being killed.

ICC need to pull their finger out already.

Biggest positive for Pakistan is that they have nothing to lose.
No pressure of win as they have never beaten India in world cups, out of form captain, playing in rivals home with literally no support, less expectations.

Time to back our team. I know Pakistan have like 10 percent chance of winning the game but come on Pakistan.

I might be the biggest critic of Babar but I want him to score some meaningful & impactful runs which can help Pakistan win.

They had organized some event from 12 30 if I'm not wrong. Why is that not happening?

Dilemma for Pakistan would be what to do if they wins the toss. If they bat first that means India will bat under lights & they will have a champion chaser against Pakistan. If Pakistan field first I don't think they have enough fire power to chase 300 plus vs Ind. So it's looking extremely bad for Pakistan.

India is a clear favourite to win this world cup(not just against Pakistan)India has got strong team with very good bowling. Pakistan on the other hand doesn't have many reliable options apart from rizwan there is not a single reliable player (bowlers+batsmen).

Some Pakistani players don't even make team on merit. Shadab Khan is the worst player in the team alongwith Nawaz and iftikhar and even Shaheen is struggling. Imam ul haq is the worst opening batsman in this world cup.

India should win this with ease without breaking sweat.

Just watching a pre-match discussion on Sports Tak and Vikrant asking fans outside the stadium who will win. One guy with a topi, looked like muslim, said India will win with a big smile on his mouth. And then you have another fan behind him asking him " Are you really saying the truth". Honestly this random video just summed up a lot for me. The poor guy had to confirm twice he was supporting India despite being an indian.

I’m still not sure if the winner of the toss should chase considering the dew factor or get runs on the board for the pressure aspect.

Don't understand
They organized a kind of show before the match, now it seems that is only for Stadium fans and not for broadcast.

They advertised this as of it is for broadcast as well, on top of that stadium fans are still filling in, basically they are performing a show in front of largely empty seats and even those people are settling in...

ODI’s will only be the real deal when they sort out the balance between bat and ball.

The format isn’t dying, it is being killed.

ICC need to pull their finger out already.
Surely. ICC seriously need to think about going back to one ball from both end. It will bring stability between bat and ball like before. This two balls concept is seriously damaged ODI more than anything.

Bowl first
Shaheen get a first over wicket
And then it's game on

If you want my opinion, Pakistan has a better chance of winning this match then the asia cup.

Rizzu is in Red hot form, Abdullah and saud are welcome changes, and we don't have 2 injured pacers anymore

However India still has a massive massive advantage Considering Gill is playing. If you look at it aide by side

Gill > Fakhar/Imam/Abdullah
Rohit > Fakhar/Imam/ Abdullah
Kohli > Babar
Rizzu > Sheryas based of current 2023 form
Rahul and Saud is debatable, Saud hasn't has the chance to shine at 5 yet, Saud is a better test bat but Rahul is the better no 5 in odi atm.
Pandya > Chacha
Jadeja > Shadab
Kuldeep > Nawaz
Bumrah, Siraj and shami/Thakur trio > Shaheen, Hasan and Haris trio. Haris, Shaheen and Hasan are > Thakur and shami is unknown category for me atm, but bumrah and siraj are defo superior.

As for bench strength, Aswin + Kishan + axar Patel and Sky are > our bench strength of Usama + Waseem Jr + agha and whoever gets rested between fakhar and imam.

So still a massive massive favour towards India based of form

India clear favourites. If at all Pakistan manages a fluke win, then that would be enough for ages given the way India are celebrating with music shows even before the match, the enormity of the crowd at Vishwa Guru Narendra Modi stadium in Bharath soil.

India clear favourites. If at all Pakistan manages a fluke win, then that would be enough for ages given the way India are celebrating with music shows even before the match, the enormity of the crowd at Vishwa Guru Narendra Modi stadium in Bharath soil.

The funny thing is this the first time india's bowling is > their batting lol.

Not saying their batting is bad, their batting is world class and easily top 1/2 in the tournament but their bowling of siraj, Bumrah, Kuldeep, Jadeja, Pandya and shami is so lethal lol. Only weak link is shami and jadeja and their not weak links, their just a bit easier then the others but their isn't any bowler you can target and go after.

I think so. That is why it is exciting.

The funny thing is this the first time india's bowling is > their batting lol.

Not saying their batting is bad, their batting is world class and easily top 1/2 in the tournament but their bowling of siraj, Bumrah, Kuldeep, Jadeja, Pandya and shami is so lethal lol. Only weak link is shami and jadeja and their not weak links, their just a bit easier then the others but their isn't any bowler you can target and go after.
Really.

Toss: Rohit Sharma has the coin. Babar Azam calls a heads, and it is a tail. A loud roar goes up. India have won the toss and will bowl first.

India having a bowl first. We need 320+ to be competitive on this wicket. It is flat and the dew will come late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back