Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

:))) Nahi Yaar! Please tell me what you're saying is true!!! HAHAAHAHAHA

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
:))) Nahi Yaar! Please tell me what you're saying is true!!! HAHAAHAHAHA

Yeah he said that all right
When Umar Akmal was pummeling the lankans he said ' Oh! you youngsta beauty.

Here's what Sri Lankas coach Trevor Bayliss said about this dynamite:

"Not too many players can hit Malinga the way he did," Bayliss said. "Umar showed some good ability up in Dambulla so we weren't surprised that he can play. He batted extremely well tonight. Looks like he's got a good future in front of him."

http://www.cricinfo.com/slvpak2009/content/current/story/418416.html

Looking forward to see the Lahore dynamite in the CT. Just 10 days to the tourny starts officially.

Hope he is training hard!

Well what can you say about this Lahore dynamite: we didn't watch him play as the match wasn't telecasted but the scorecard tells you alot; 67 runs from 51 balls, against Maliga, murali, mendis, smashing 8 fours.
Just incredible. :umarakmal

IAJ said:
Well what can you say about this Lahore dynamite: we didn't watch him play as the match wasn't telecasted but the scorecard tells you alot; 67 runs from 51 balls, against Maliga, murali, mendis, smashing 8 fours.
Just incredible. :umarakmal

Akir bhai kis ka hai! :akmal !

He's really burst on to the scene. Its refreshing to see a young Pakistani batsman oozing with talent and confidence. We need to find at least 1 more batsman like him to solidify our middle order. Umar Amin seems like the next big prospect.

Umar Akmal has been the most exciting prospect in Pakistani cricket since Mohammed Asif, and Aamer perhaps. He's done so well so early in his career. I hope and wish that he continues to perform well for many years to come. The Champion's Trophy is the ideal platform for him to introduce himself to the world. Good luck Umar!

Last edited:
What a talent!!!! Our seniors couldn't take us home but it was up to this Lahore dynamite!
Playing so comfortably on this kind of wicket is just amazing.

Rudi hater said:
Umar has changed his stance, he has stance more like Kamran Akmal. I think he will definitely be selected for ODI at some point in time.

hmm could not understand u ? he will be selected ? He is playing ODI in SA right now

Thank god for Umar Akmal!!!

Seriously, its a blessing we have a 19 year old with both unbelievable talent and a great head on his shoulders

Khurram said:
hmm could not understand u ? he will be selected ? He is playing ODI in SA right now

Brother he made that comment back in May..

volcyz said:
But I thought Shezhad is the next Tendulkar??!

Well if Umar Akmal become the next Bradman, I don't mind Shehzad becoming the next Tindu.

The impressive thing about Umar akmal is his temperament. There have been many talented young batsmen for Pakistan but have been found wanting upstairs.

This match will be a great test of Umar Akmal's temperament. Really can make a mark with a good knock today.

A very good contribution by the young man but unfortunately got a tough decision.

My first real look at Umar Akmal and I was impressed. He seems more compact as a batsman than Kamran Akmal and his footwork seems very good. He was using the depth of the crease well when playing off the back foot against the spinners.

Umar Akmal and Muhammad Aamer are 2 good young cricketers and it is good to see Pakistan playing them. They went through a patch where they were selecting seasoned domestic performers rather than good young players.

The policy of blooding young players has served Pakistan well in the past and is one of the reasons they have been successful despite a weak domestic strcuture.

Time to find more Umar Akmal's. I think its time we started planning for life beyond Yousaf, YK.

KB said:
My first real look at Umar Akmal and I was impressed. He seems more compact as a batsman than Kamran Akmal and his footwork seems very good. He was using the depth of the crease well when playing off the back foot against the spinners.

Umar Akmal and Muhammad Aamer are 2 good young cricketers and it is good to see Pakistan playing them. They went through a patch where they were selecting seasoned domestic performers rather than good young players.

The policy of blooding young players has served Pakistan well in the past and is one of the reasons they have been successful despite a weak domestic strcuture.

True Indeed .

It's the passion of the game that brings us such gifted/talented players . As long as that passion is kept alive , we will never run short of players like amir and umar akmal .

We really do need to bring in some more new blood as it seems that this time the batch of youngsters is better then the last ones . We have to groom these guys properly as these are the stars of the future .

Nice to see this lad playing well yesterday and the knock will give him confidience before the big tour to New Zealand and Aus. He played very well against Aus A last time, hopefully he will stabilize the middle order again InshAallah.

Oh thats my lahore dynamite for you. Congrats young boy for an excellent hundred on debut :)

Amazing player. Poor guy always runs out of the partners. He should have batted before Shoib Malik. He also needs to have a little more confidence in Mohd Ameer. He wanted to score quickly before the tail was gone. I wish he had played out the remaining overs today.

Excellent stuff

Great for us to have found Fawad and Akmal for the middle order! Alhamdulillah, now if only our perennial opening problem can be solved?

Umar Akmal playing ODI on subcontinent pitches

Cant wait to see this guy playing in India, Pakistan and bangladesh. He is going to be awesome on flat tracks and small grounds

mohsinr12 said:
Cant wait to see this guy playing in India, Pakistan and bangladesh. He is going to be awesome on flat tracks and small grounds

this:

therewillbebloodmovieposter.jpg

Ali888 said:
Mark 'The Ear' Oberhardt gives the lowdown on sport

Mark Oberhardt | July 20, 2009 12:00am

YOU might remember The Ear mentioning the name Umar Akmal three weeks ago as one to watch during Pakistan A's cricket series in Townsville and Brisbane. The teenager whacked three tons and a half-century from his first six innings in the series. I repeat, he will be a star in the Test series later this summer.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25804460-5016380,00.html

QED.

the sad thing is that he is unlikely to play in Pakistan (lack of tours), India (Bad relations) and i dont see many matches being played in Bangladesh

The fearlessness of Umar is great to see and he brings a great excitement to pakistans batting which has been seen for a long time!

I love it to see him bat, he's fearless and will play his strokes when there will be a bad ball,

but he got lucky today he could've been out would that catch have been taking. He got a life

now so he should go on to make a hundred or even more.

Good Luck You Youngster Beauty :younis

Luck favours the Bold and Brave so hopefully Umar can score a 100 tomorrow! :)

Let's get behind this young lad, he has been a bit out of form of late, but I am backing him to shine in the World T20 inshaAllah!

lethalyorker said:
Lets hope the off field incident dont affect his onfield performances. hes a star in the making.
not really. Will fade away just like others. another 30 average players in the making

Umar is pretty much the Star batsmen now in the T20 sqaud so its time for the lad to step up and really fufil his early potential!

Amjid Javed said:
Umar is pretty much the Star batsmen now in the T20 sqaud so its time for the lad to step up and really fufil his early potential!
He's star batsmen in all 3 forms!!!

I feel he is best batting talent to come from Pakistan last 10 years or so. There are some technical and temperament flaws. But he is still very young.

insaaniyat said:
not really. Will fade away just like others. another 30 average players in the making

Don't know what you've been watching, Umar Akmal has more class than the 30 average players in our team :butt :misbah :malik

InshaAllah he will perform against SA! go kid!

Last edited:
Really ticked off with him today for that shot. Kamran needs to give him a slap for playing such mindless strokes. Then again pot calling kettle black is unlikely to make much headway.

Superb knock from the lad - we were down and out until he along with his brother changed the match - anyone that doubts this lads talent needs their head testing

Umar Akmal's Appreciation Thread

I'm not sure if we have got a appreciation thread for Umar Akmal, but i think he deserves one.

He has proved in this tournament and outside, he is a class act, a player who can take the game away from the opposing team and with ease.

He has can play every shot in the cricketing manual and develop shots with ease which are not in the coaching manual.

Some of you might disagree with me, but he is the furture of Pakistan cricket and legend in the making.

Do u guys agree ? or disagree ?

He still has a few temperment problems but he's got time on his side. Today was the finest limited overs knock I've seen from him. :)

Nah...he's match fixer and a cheat like his brother and Shahid Afridi.

Agreed.
That six he hit off Johnsons bowling
The one where the ball was short.
What a hit.
Atleast he can play short pitched bowling.

Had we won this match, he would have stolen the show in the Finals.
But kudos to him, hope he has a good tournament in Sri Lanka.

Boi said:
Nah...he's match fixer and a cheat like his brother and Shahid Afridi.
Just like the best left armer Wasim Akram.

I know it was a 20-20 on a flat track but even the Moyo's and the Inzi's have not dominated Australia like Umer did today.

Is it me or has any one else seen him play a cover or straight drive? I can only remember him cover drive siddle in a test in Australia and Ian Healy compared his shot to tendulkars otherwise I don't see him drive as well as his brother.

Tay'yab-Ali Malik said:
Is it me or has any one else seen him play a cover or straight drive? I can only remember him cover drive siddle in a test in Australia and Ian Healy compared his shot to tendulkars otherwise I don't see him drive as well as his brother.

He will only get better, you will see him playing more cover drives inshallah.

Tay'yab-Ali Malik said:
He played few in NZL where bounce was lower then Aus in 20-20 he goes for shots that gives him maximum results hence he favour leg side a lot in this format.

an unbelievable knock, the way he manhandled Mitch and Nannes was a sight to behold...made me think of Saeed Anwar at his best, the way it was so pure and thrilling.

Well what can I say, the kid is a dynamite and today he exploded!!!

So far Umer Akmal has proved that he should be in national team.

Lets hope he develops even more with time.

Once again (see #204) I am backing Umar Akmal to shine in a big tournament InshaAllah.

Looking forward to see Umar Akmal and Umar Amin batting together.

Umar Amin is batting at no:-3 but i will prefer umar akmal at no:-3 in all three formats .

Tay'yab-Ali Malik said:

He played a few glorious drives in Australia. But his big runs shots are on the legside, he favors it a fair bit. Does have a nice cut aswell though, specially against the spinners.

Poison said:
He played a few glorious drives in Australia. But his big runs shots are on the legside, he favors it a fair bit. Does have a nice cut aswell though, specially against the spinners.

Yes you are right, he favorus legside and cuts well, but do you guys remember his straight sixes against Malinga when he made that famous ton?

Those were some of the best shots I have ever seen, to smash yorkers straight over Malinga's head was awesome.

If there's no YK in England, this guy will be the backbone of our middle order. He really only needs to work on one area of his game; which is temperament. I could see him settling into the Inzamam role, finishing off Test innings' with a bang and working the ball around with the tail. He has nearly no weaknesses, he gets himself out most of the time. He just needs to pack away that late cut against the seamers, and focus himself a bit better when he's played out a few dot balls.

I think he'll have a Moyo-esque summer in England. :umarakmal

inshALLAH i hope that he takes pak to victory in the coming england tour and asia cup :D i actually cannot wait for it :D

Pakistan's promising middle-order batsman Umar Akmal is eyeing another successful tour of Sri Lanka in the Asia Cup after scoring a half-century and century during the series against the hosts last year.

Akmal was selected for the One-Day International (ODI) series against Sri Lanka last year and after missing out on the first ODI, he replaced Mohammad Yousuf and scored his maiden fifty followed by a century in the next match.

“I really enjoyed that innings, it helped me overcome the pressure that comes with international cricket,” Akmal told The Express Tribune.

“I’ll never forge the maiden century but now I feel more confident after spending a year in international cricket and hoping for more big innings.”

Akmal, often criticised for his rash stroke-play resulting in his downfall, admitted that he has learnt how to adapt to conditions.

“I always try to be aggressive and score off every ball. However, I’ve realised the importance of playing according to conditions and adapting to the team’s requirements.”

http://www.cricdb.com/archive/international/news/detail.php?nid=3199

I might be his biggest fan here and I have praised him in all of my posts on him, but now there is time for some critisizem and I am not some of the Afridi fans here who are sometimes totally blinded, for me country comes first, not individuals.

The problem for this young lad is in his mind I think. Why try these cute little risky things for a single when you are so good striking it straight down the ground. You guys remember his century against malinga & co?

Yesterday he jus threw his wicket away with that shot and gave the stupid Jadeja an undeserving wicket. Had Umar stayed till the end we could easily have passed 300 and the game scenario would have been totally different.

Some wise guy (if there is) in this management really needs to talk to Umar because he is a speciall talent and he is the only middle order batsman with sound technique we have.

InshaAllah if he can get more patient and stay longer at the wicket he will win us matches in the future.

Has immense talent, and a good cricketing brain - would become a near perfect batsman if he stopped the brain farts though.

Should be sent at no 6 for some games. We tried the same with Raina who was having trouble batting in the top order. His career got revived since he went down to no 5 and 6.

Umar too should be given that role. And once he does well there, gradually move him up the order.

this guy need to value his wicket... needs to play simple cricket and refrain from playing fancy shots...ie reverse sweep

Back