Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

cricketindiafan said:
Should be sent at no 6 for some games. We tried the same with Raina who was having trouble batting in the top order. His career got revived since he went down to no 5 and 6.

Umar too should be given that role. And once he does well there, gradually move him up the order.

I'm actually thinking just the opposite

The more down the order you send him, the more of those cute shots he'll attempt

Send him at number 3 where he will be forced to play some proper cricket

Because he'll still score quickly being as talented a stroke player as he is without playing those stupid dinky donky shots

He needs to learn the value of his wicket, he's a talented lad and can score big if he stops throwing his wicket away.

Looked like just one man has turned up for Pakistan so far today

Game would have been dead and buried without him

This is all. :14:
God Bless this Lad.
:14:.

Can MOD change the title to Pakistan Dynamite: Umer Akmal
Pakistan is playing not Lahore

Geordie Ahmed said:
They have gone into hiding - they will be back as soon as he fails
That is always the case. Sometime supporters hide and sometime haters:)

What do you guys have to say about Afridi's comments today about Akmal?

He called him Pakistan's Sir Vivian Richards. Hefty comparison, don't you think?

Hopefully, it doesn't go to his head.

umar hitting smith straight down the ground reminded me of tendu vs warne contests esp. sharjah `98.he is on the path to be greatest batsman from subcontinent if he continues to work hard and not relax thinking i have done enough and let things get to his head.also he will have to continously evolve his game as he is now going to be dissected by oppositions at team meetings :misbah

Last edited:
How good is this guy?

Done it all in his short career so far, except actually win games because we have been so abysmal at the fag end of every match. Glad to see he was involved in a win today; as a youngster, winning is crucial for him - don't want him to get involved in the habit of losing. But what an innings. He's so unbelievably sure of his ability and so he should be.

We really need to bring out Cheguvera and other blind haters here.

Paradox said:
We really need to bring out Cheguvera and other blind haters here.
They will continue to hide in there holes.

Umar+Akmal+Green.jpg

Amazing innings. He really loves Johnson's and Smith's bowling. The two straight sixes of Smith were lovely and the paddlle/scoop of Nannes was really cute.

It was a superb knock by Umar Akmal - to remain calm when others were falling and we were facing our bogey sides takes some guts

It was by and large a comfortable innings, he didnt look troubled and his runs were clean hits

The lad is special, has talent galore BUT he cant do it by himself all the time - he needs batting support

Khurram said:
hmm could not understand u ? he will be selected ? He is playing ODI in SA right now

You would not understand me coz I posted the post in May 2009 and Umar Made his debut in August 2009. So check the date and time and you will understand what I am saying there. Check post number 20.

I hope the Young Man continues his red hot form and gets his name on the honours board at lords with a big hundred in 1st test!

He has been critisized alot here recently and he has deserved some of it as well but today he really showed that he is a team-man.

Many thought Asad would keep after Kamran's injury but Umar took the responsibility and keeped surprisingly very well. He even had a stumping but stupid Billy let us down.

He has been critisized alot here recently and he has deserved some of it as well but today he really showed that he is a team-man.

Many thought Asad would keep after Kamran's injury but Umar took the responsibility and keeped surprisingly very well. He even had a stumping but stupid Billy let us down.

Won't be long before the conspiracy lovers come out. Don't be surprised to hear things like "Umar keeping today was another Akmals ploy to keep Asad out." More regional bias, etc.....

He gets a lot of unnecessary flak but his batting today...what was that about? Batting so well, it was like looking into the future. As if both were seasoned vets just milking singles but then stupidly threw it away...again.

The dynamite sure has gone off...in his head. His keeping was pretty good though, maybe we can use him as a keeper batsmen?

Won't be long before the conspiracy lovers come out. Don't be surprised to hear things like "Umar keeping today was another Akmals ploy to keep Asad out." More regional bias, etc.....

Hehe you are maybe right, let's wait and see.

In a way it was good Asad didn't keep today as he has only played 4 matches I think, so putting extra preassure on him wasn't simply on.

Who knows, Asad may keep in next match if Kamran doesn't play.

Can't believe he was dropped today. What are the captain/managment thinking not playing him and instead go in with Misbah and Fawad?

Misbah should be nowhere near our playing eleven and they dropped junior because of him!

I am really :pissed:

Now he is going to come back with an even bigger head..... when dropping him was supposed to reduce its size!!!!!!!!!!!! Predicted that a long time ago.

Never thought I will see a day where Fawad Alam is selected before Umar Akmal.

Last edited:
Good comeback by Umar Akmal with the bat at least :) I didn't see much of him keeping. How was his keeping?

A request to mods: will you please merge all stuff on Umar Akmal in one thread only, there are just too many threads on the kid, thank you :)

Is there a more frustrating batsmen to watch then him? Afridi included. You knwo what you get with Afridi and there can only be one of him in the team. Umar has the ability to be a Pakistan great. I still think he has the talent and the mental strength but its like he has Imran Nazir's brain at times.

You have the shots, play them. Play them where they merit. Don't move around the crease. They take a power play and once again he premediates that dumb paddle sweep which he is maybe successful 1/10 attempts? Its just getting so frustrating watching. Its been a year and a half now, its time he starts to show some maturity. No one asking you to slow down, just don't play so many dumb shots or move around in the crease - clearly it has not been working for you.

good comeback although he should get a slap to try to play that stupid shot again.

good comeback although he should get a slap to try to play that stupid shot again.

Well if he had got a bit more elevation you would have loved that shot I'm sure.

Well if he had got a bit more elevation you would have loved that shot I'm sure.
No I was not takling about the shot which got him out. I was talking about the scope shot where he did not get bowled fortunately.

Time on the sidelines seems to have done the trick, shame he could not convert his innings into a big one...well played though !!

Good to see Akmal score runs on his return. Hopefully he will knuckle down this time and make more out of his talent. All good players are dropped, the real stars are those who come back stronger!

He wasnt shuffling in the crease,which is good sign,just like in newzealand.

Last edited:
He played well and than all of a sudden as soon as they took powerplay he went to stupid mode.

Dropping him was a good move cause today he looked more focused in his batting

Last edited:
Today was an ideal example of why I think he should not be batting at the end of the innings

Yes he has the ability to play all the big shots, but did you guys look at how his shot selection changed as soon as batting powerplay was taken.

He should be forced to play proper cricket which is only when he'll bat at number 3 or 4.

Good innings today..Thank God,he has regained some form..

No,I would've still admonished him...
Calling for power play does not mean that you have to expose your stumps on every ball and go for a big shot..
He clearly lost it in the Power Play and wanted to score 20 an over which I am afraid is just not possible..
Had he shown a bit more maturity and taken the game to final overs then we were still in with a chance..
Razzaq then might not have felt the pressure to deliver alone once again knowing that Umar is still there at the other end..

an excellent knock under pressure, should never EVER be out of the starting lineup.

Today was an ideal example of why I think he should not be batting at the end of the innings

Yes he has the ability to play all the big shots, but did you guys look at how his shot selection changed as soon as batting powerplay was taken.

He should be forced to play proper cricket which is only when he'll bat at number 3 or 4.

Excellent Point made, he should really be battinga t number 3 or 4 at the lowest. His will mean he has to focus more and allows him to learn playing longer inns and allows him to construct which indeed will make him a better player.

an excellent knock under pressure, should never EVER be out of the starting lineup.

But should bat higher and be given more responsibility

Its the only way he'll play proper cricket

As soon as batting powerplay was taken, the moving around, the scoops, the late cuts, everything that I started getting annoyed with him for restarted

His first 50 was so good, and last 10 runs so ugly and desperate

Send him high and make him bat properly, he will score at an 80+ strike rate either way, might as well do it batting safely

He can still perform that role..I feel Razzaq should've guided the youngster by telling him that boundary an over was enough,no need to take risks on every ball..
But neither Razzaq calmed him down nor he himself realised how important his wicket was!!

But should bat higher and be given more responsibility

Its the only way he'll play proper cricket

As soon as batting powerplay was taken, the moving around, the scoops, the late cuts, everything that I started getting annoyed with him for restarted

His first 50 was so good, and last 10 runs so ugly and desperate

Send him high and make him bat properly, he will score at an 80+ strike rate either way, might as well do it batting safely

I think these were pretty extraordinary circumstances...playing as a keeper, side already packed with batsmen.

he is the number 5 the Pakistan team should have.

Looks like dropping him for few games really worked, Good inning today, though he was fortunate to not get lbw at the beginning.

He should be pushed up the order #3 or #4 can play the anchor role + has big shots which none of these guys have : YK,Youssuf, Alam, Shafiq

should not play at 3 and 4. 5 and 6 are ideal for him.

Teams usually play their best batsman at #3. While he's still our sides best batsman right now, he shouldn't move up permanently just yet. Today I think would have been the perfect time for him to come in at #3. I can guarantee you he would have hit a ton.

Playing him so low down the order, he's essentially being trained to become a slogger. Someone needs to talk to him, Younis preferably. As of now he's only had Afridi and co. as his mentors, which could explain the comedy of errors. He knows how to buckle down and pay a gritty knock, he just needs the discipline.

I think playing him at #4 for now will give him a sense of responsibility. That way he comes in before a collapse and can actually win us a game.

His style of play is pretty well suited to higher up the order, he's a guy who can bat through the innings. Look at todays knock for example, three 6's and one 4. The rest of his 60 was scored in singles. He can easily come in early, grind it out by taking singles and doubles, and accelerate towards the end or deposit any bad balls that come his way.

The recent lack of form, I think, was due to management. Being your teams best batsman and being expected to perform consistently at 20 is a big ask. Waqar Younis obviously has zero clue about batting, I can only imagine what he's been telling the kid. I remember a thread by Saj here that criticized management's handling of Akmal.

In any case, with the return of YK in tests and talented guys like Shafiq and Fawad in the LOI squads a load has been taken off his shoulders. He should have a license to go out there and play his natural game. If he wants to kill the bowling, let him. He will learn from his mistakes, just needs a bit of help.

Todays innings will do wonders for his confidence though :)

Dropping him for a match or two will teach him a lesson not to have brain farts, and if he does hes out, hes been playing a year now and aint showed no sign of improvement, test match wise.

Personally...

I think they should have played the first XI today....

Why risk losing....

Just seen the run out... Its like watching schoolboys play.

Yep definatley Umer should have played today...We missed him especially in the last overs

Chance for Umer Akmal to shine, YK returning home from Windies.

Nothing less then a century will suffice if conditions are as expected.

How can we be so sure that Umar Akmal will be replacing Younis Khan? You do know that we are under the management of PCB who currently are in the news for the wrong reasons?

If Umar get's the chance then it's a big chance for him to prove that he doesn't lack maturity, composure and temperament - needs to show that consistency and limit his aggression... Depending on the situation.

If he is in the line up, then expect a firework display. :D

How can we be so sure that Umar Akmal will be replacing Younis Khan? You do know that we are under the management of PCB who currently are in the news for the wrong reasons?

If Umar get's the chance then it's a big chance for him to prove that he doesn't lack maturity, composure and temperament - needs to show that consistency and limit his aggression... Depending on the situation.

If he is in the line up, then expect a firework display. :D

Well, he is part of the team curretnly in the Windies, he is the most logical choice to take Younis's place in the team.

I don't think PCB will name a replacement for YK, for such a short test series.

I'd be very surprised if anyone other than Umar plays. I'd like to see Fawad come in but thats unrealistic, and I doubt they'd give Hammad a chance over Umar. I'd be interested to see Hammad play Test cricket but if he's chosen over Umar then I'd have no doubts about who Waqar hates.

Well, he is part of the team curretnly in the Windies, he is the most logical choice to take Younis's place in the team.

I don't think PCB will name a replacement for YK, for such a short test series.

There's no doubt that Umar Akmal is the ideal player to replace Younis Khan but I'm not going to get my hopes high considering the situation the PCB are currently in.

PCB are just a complete joke and can pull of a surprise whenver they want - with the selectors/coaches and Afridi having issues - It wouldn't surprise me if Umar Akmal isn't selected although I'd prefer him, but this is PCB we are discussing about, you never know what your going to get.

Sad, but true.

Last edited:
Now Younis Khan going back home Umar Akmal gets outside chance in the playing eleven given the fact that mangement fails to get right balance in the two games.

Lets fingers cross :26:

There's no doubt that Umar Akmal is the ideal player to replace Younis Khan but I'm not going to get my hopes high considering the situation the PCB are currently in.

PCB are just a complete joke and can pull of a surprise whenver they want - with the selectors/coaches and Afridi having issues - It wouldn't surprise me if Umar Akmal isn't selected although I'd prefer him, but this is PCB we are discussing about, you never know what your going to get.

Sad, but true.

From the players left in the squad, only Umar and Hammad can replace YK.

Are you afraid Bhanja might be given another go?

From the players left in the squad, only Umar and Hammad can replace YK.

Are you afraid Bhanja might be given another go?

Who's this 'bhanja' your referring too?:13:

I've already explained my reasons - and I'm simply not gonna' get my hopes high and expect PCB to draft in Umar Akmal as PCB tend to have a reputation of being clueless and surprising us fans in the most bizzare way.

I'm hoping they'll replace Umar Akmal with YK but I wouldn't be 100% confident about that as we are under the management of PCB, as I said before.

Who's this 'bhanja' your referring too?:13:

I've already explained my reasons - and I'm simply not gonna' get my hopes high and expect PCB to draft in Umar Akmal as PCB tend to have a reputation of being clueless and surprising us fans in the most bizzare way.

I'm hoping they'll replace Umar Akmal with YK but I wouldn't be 100% confident about that as we are under the management of PCB, as I said before.

All need to do is to wait and watch. :afridi Forgot about other things.

Umar given the chance would make WI pay ---but is PCB going to pulls out another rabbit out of their HAT?

yet to be seen so lets hope

Yeah, this could be the nice opportunity for Umar Akmal.

Although, his real opportunity will only come once he's moved up the order. I don't see that happening any time soon because of the current batsmen in the team. All of them are ahead of him in the pecking order for those "3,4,5" spots.

It'll be interesting to see whether he gets selected.

Back