Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

To blame all of the management might be a bit harsh....

But whoever made that decision needs a good talking to!

comes a match without any pressure and poor umar is sitting out. Shame that asad can be promoted up but umar to save the day only? Rubbish!

shafiq has shown the temperament to bat at 3 and play out 40+ overs, umar akmal hasn't, he tends to play silly shots and throw his wicket away, until he shows some fight at the crease 5 or 6 is the best position for him...

Umar Akmal has show more talent and application than anyone else made their debuts since Feb 2000.

Umar Akmal is our future.

He should be batting at 4 - developing his game to be like :inzi rather than :afridi !.

Umar Akmal has show more talent and application than anyone else made their debuts since Feb 2000.

Umar Akmal is our future.

He should be batting at 4 - developing his game to be like :inzi rather than :afridi !.

I dont agree with him being rested but i also refute your stmnt above

Application is the last thing that comes to mind when i think of u akmal

Misbah batted at the same no. of Umar akmal today..what did he do?I repeat again batting at no.6 is a completely different than batting at no.3 or 4...You can't play tuk tuk or keep taking singles in last 10 overs...you have to score boundaries in every over.When he got chance to bat up the order, he delivered.Look at his first few knocks against Sri Lanka,New Zealand in tests matches,against New Zealand in T20s in UAE, where he scored back to back half centuries, in Champions trophy against West Indies and NZ in semi final.Against Australia when we were 4 down chasing low total,against Canada 3 down on something 60,against Kenya too.He has disappointed very rarely when he got the opportunity to bat up the order.His average would have been alot better than this if he didn't had to come and bat in last 5-10 and throw his wicket away in search of boundaries because he plays for the team rather his own average.

Last edited:

He has shown plenty of application.... for a long period of time he became our "senior batsman"....

Then they tried to turn him into an Afridi... and now he is being awfully managed....

It was some quite poor team selection done by whoever is responsible.

The two matches Umar Akmal plays, he is made to bat at #6. Asad Shafiq comes into the side and immediately he's slotted into the # 3 position! Fine, this is something that can be let go, but honestly picking three senior batsman and benching a youngster in an inconsequential match?

Younus Khan, Shoaib Malik or Misbah should have been rested. It makes no sense to play all three of them together in a dead rubber.

Shocking stuff. Makes zero sense, in fact. :facepalm:

Last edited:
It was some quite poor team selection done by whoever is responsible.

The two matches Umar Akmal plays, he is made to bat at #6. Asad Shafiq comes into the side and immediately he's slotted into the # 3 position! Fine, this is something that can be let go, but honestly picking three senior batsman and benching a youngster in an inconsequential match?

Younus Khan, Shoaib Malik or Misbah should have been rested. It makes no sense to play all three of them together in a dead rubber.

Shocking stuff. Makes zero sense, in fact. :facepalm:

Whoever said we are a smart bunch? The whole team combination for Zimbabwe was wrong, we did not need Midbah, Younis and Shoaib together for this tour. We should have left two out of the 3 out of this series and tried out our bench strength. That would have been a perfect preparation for a more demanding schedule coming up next for us. But that would mean using our brains and as I mentioned earlier at the moment that's lacking at PCB.

The question is has asad shafiq dont better than umar akmal despite playing higher in the order? The answer is no. I do not know why do you expect umar akmal to build an innings when maximum balls he usually faces is 60? Send him one down and I bet he will the best 1 down pakistan has ever produced in one day cricket. The kid is seriously underestimated by a few.

The question is has asad shafiq dont better than umar akmal despite playing higher in the order? The answer is no. I do not know why do you expect umar akmal to build an innings when maximum balls he usually faces is 60? Send him one down and I bet he will the best 1 down pakistan has ever produced in one day cricket. The kid is seriously underestimated by a few.

well he has batted 4 times at no.3 in T20s and he has scored 151 with an average of 75.50 with two half centuries..not that bad I think...he is good enough to play at no.3 or 4 especially in LO cricket.

Last edited:
Baffling decision today, Pak should give him a full series at 4. He's not a slogger.

well he has batted 4 times at no.3 in T20s and he has scored 151 with an average of 75.50 with two half centuries..not that bad I think...he is good enough to play at no.3 or 4 especially in LO cricket.

yah Umar has all it takes to play 1 down or 2 down. The rest should follow and malik should be out of team now as the better batsmen are here.

yah Umar has all it takes to play 1 down or 2 down. The rest should follow and malik should be out of team now as the better batsmen are here.

Malik is there for the balance of the team I guess, as we don't have :afridi or :razzaq. But he didn't bowl much so yea Umar should gave played ahead of him.

He needs a proper batting coach who backs and trusts him.

The coach needs to tell Akmal "It's fine if you want to attack, but we're going to do it the right way."After this, the coach will have to instill the key batting values into Akmal's mind. Things like not scampering around in the crease and keeping his head still.

The worst advice a coach could ever give Akmal is to change his mindset, completely. It will never work.

Last edited:
Malik is there for the balance of the team I guess, as we don't have :afridi or :razzaq. But he didn't bowl much so yea Umar should gave played ahead of him.

Hafeez is there and 4 other bowlers too. Honestly malik is a waste of space right now. Razzak is irreplaceable.

The coach needs to tell Akmal "It's fine if you want to attack, but we're going to do it the right way."After this, the coach will have to instill the key batting values into Akmal's mind. Things like not scampering around in the crease and keeping his head still.

The worst advice a coach could ever give Akmal is to change his mindset, completely. It will never work.

This is good advice....

He needs someone that not only trusts him - but he trusts as well.

sorry mate but this is absolute rubbish..its time umar akmal took responsibility for his own game. A coach cannot help him on the pitch. He has to do that himself. Cricket is a very simple game. Go out there back yoruself and take your chance. In paksitan with the talent we have if you dont take your chance someone else will..

We cannot molly coddle players. he has bee told time and again what is required. If he still hasnt figured it out then he should amke way for someone else!

That would be the best advice for him.

But a desi coach, most likey former cricketers in Pakistan, are too old school to think this way.

Also I doubt Umar Akmal is too straight headed to easily absorb and work on these kind of advices. It'll take a determined effort to pour batting values into his mind.

sorry mate but this is absolute rubbish..its time umar akmal took responsibility for his own game. A coach cannot help him on the pitch. He has to do that himself. Cricket is a very simple game. Go out there back yoruself and take your chance. In paksitan with the talent we have if you dont take your chance someone else will..

We cannot molly coddle players. he has bee told time and again what is required. If he still hasnt figured it out then he should amke way for someone else!

bhai, he's a young pakistani.

things like "taking responsibility for his own game", "batting values", "discipline", "professionalism", tau 35 yrs old buddhon ko bhi na samajh aai aaj tak hamari cricket mein. Yeh hyper charged aadmi kya karega kuch khud se.

Last edited:
If there is a batting coach that Umar Akmal trusts... then he should be left to work with him! irrespective of who coaches Pak.

The Pak coach/Manager should deal with overall batting strategy....

You are talking like he averages less than 20!

He's got a decent average for a youngster.

What has he been told time and again? To go out there and save his teammates because they got out for low scores? I still don't understand why he gets all the blame as his teammates perish around him.

At least, give him a proper run at his desired spot (#3 or #4) and then assess. If he is still not working out, you may drop him. To expect constant 100s from a batsman batting at #6 is unfair. He's virtually batting with the tail!

I guess people have no patience....

Maybe its just a Pakistani trait....

I mean just look at the last decade and ask yourself who have we really invested any time with since :yk made his debut in Feb 2000?

Taufeeq did wonderfully well as an opener and his career was ruined....
Asim Kamal did very well in middle order and his career was ruined...
Fawad Alam scored 168 on debut and avergaes nearly 60 in FC cricket... and his career is being ruined.
etc etc - I could probably come up with about 20 names....

If we had done the same with the likes of Saeed Anwar... (who was just as rubbish in the early part of his career) as we do with our players now... we would have one less legend in our ranks....

Its more than disgraceful... its a damn right embarassment.

I know people get upset with my straight talking... but sometimes these things need to be said...

Patience is a virtue :)

That has been to be the worst selection decision ever. After the world cup we should try to groom a younger team, but what we do is play only 29+ years old players.
We have one youngster in our top 6, Umar Akmal, and what we do? We give him rest to play another youngster in a dead rubber against Zimbabwe.
And it's not like Akmal is not good with the bat, he is our best ODI batsman but rarely has the opportunity because he is batting to low down the order. But then we can't rest Ponting and Hussey (Younis and Misbah) these guys need to think about their stats against great oppositions in crunch games...

again coming to bat in last four overs and scored 22 off 11 with 4 fours when Pakistan was losing momentum but no some people want him to score 50 even here.

Keep Akmal Brothers (Umar, Adnan, Kamran) and Shoaib Malik Out of Team Pakistan. They are negative influence in dressing room.

again coming to bat in last four overs and scored 22 off 11 with 4 fours when Pakistan was losing momentum but no some people want him to score 50 even here.

he is a t20 player..not a test match player..anyway shafiq is a better all round prospect as he has shown again today!

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28685481?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/28685481">The Rising star!!!</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user8414705">nsr_x1</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Last edited:
Adnan Akmal > Umar Akmal

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nhYWdqfYEVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a PakPassionate plea to the powers that be....

Do NOT ruin the career of a youngster who has the talent, the confidence and the charisma to become the next in line to the throne...

:jm :inzi :yk :moyo ....... :umarakmal ?

Umar Akmal is the best talent we have produced in over 10 years.

Young players with that talent need to be NURTURED.

He will learn NOTHING while he is out of the side.

The only way he will learn is to bat with :yk and :moyo. Those two only have a few months/years left in the side....

If we havent DEVELOPED some of the youngsters before they leave, I fear for Pakistan crickets future.

If you think the last 4 years have been bad.... wait til :yk and :moyo are gone.

He should be allowed to play with NO PRESSURE..... the pressure should be on the seniors not the juniors,,,,

Bring the boy back... give him the tools to be the best.... dont let yours or his ego get to your head....

Think....

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=108910

Dont MAKE him into an also-ran in this list...

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showpost.php?p=3063968&postcount=30

How many other of our 20 year olds have had a record like this.....?

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/317273.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting

I hope these rumours are nonsense....

If Umar Akmal has been dropped.... IT IS AN ABSOLUTE TRAVESTY!!!!!!

:umarakmal

Last edited:
Umar Akmal being dropped is one thing

Umar Akmal being dropped in favor of Malik and Farhat :facepalm:

The most talented cricketer in last 15 years dropped :O ICC should do something for the sake of the game

Imran Nazir in the making

dude did you watch Pak-WI test series or followed Pak-Ireland ODI series?http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/507996.html
If it was not for Umar Akmal Ireland would have recorded their second win against Pak.He averaged 57.24 in test series against WI if you haven't been following cricket lately,And these performances came recently..I didn't include ODI WC where he was terrific...and don't compare him with Nazir again in future,he bats at no.5,6 where he has alot more harder job.

Last edited:
Looks like Imran Farhat is back (in Umars place) for the sake of Muhammad Iliyas

I can appreciate that the selectors want to send him a message to improve his longer version game, but Malik/Farhat as his replacement??? Should have picked an upcoming test player who has shown promise. :usman

Dropping :umarakmal is beyond comprehension....

Whoever made this call needs to back to Kindergarten.... :72:

Smashes another century today.

He is too talented to be playing domestic cricket.

lol Mohsin Khan can really F... off what does he think hes doing ?

even though its good Umar Akmal is dropped for agame or so but you can't drop him from a series it will have a very bad impact his confidence which is already very low will fall and getting kicked out of the squad will always be at the back of his brain

No brainers PCB they never fail to Amaze

lol Mohsin Khan can really F... off what does he think hes doing ?

even though its good Umar Akmal is dropped for agame or so but you can't drop him from a series it will have a very bad impact his confidence which is already very low will fall and getting kicked out of the squad will always be at the back of his brain

No brainers PCB they never fail to Amaze

No need to get hyper.

He needed a kick. He was taking things way too easy and this will recharge him. He now has a chance to make some big scores consistently. No denying he's a talented player,hope he'll come good.

And no worries,he'll be back for the ODI series against Srilanka

It's ok. Let him play the entire tournament and consistently score to force his way back. I like the fact that he is playing angry with a chip on his shoulder. That's the attitude he'll need in international arena as well.

It's ok. Let him play the entire tournament and consistently score to force his way back. I like the fact that he is playing angry with a chip on his shoulder. That's the attitude he'll need in international arena as well.

:umarakmal needs to be flown in to Abu Dhabi....

You cannot have a Pak test batting lineup without him!

:umarakmal needs to be flown in to Abu Dhabi....

You cannot have a Pak test batting lineup without him!

Yes,but i don't think he would be recalled.There is already malik in the squad.Plus,i think mohsin would take it as insult,recalling him back.

Player of the tournament in HK sxes! Congrats young lad!

Though it is fun cricket :yk, Umar was in excellent form middling the ball to all parts of the little ground. He will be vital against SL in ODIs.

bump.

let's go back a year or so.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S6V6S_dlxY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How is he not in the team?! Pure class this guy is...better than most of the side playing currently,,but needs consistency!

Has the ODI squad for the series with SL been announced yet?

If it has, is U Akmal in there?

I think he will most likely be selected for the Odi series. He was only dropped from the tests. :mhk thinks he is a good bat in LOI's I think

I don't care if he get's out with low scores and fails to win us this match. :umarakmal is NEEDED in the team! He gives us that ispecial exiting flavour :afridi :razzaq

We got calm players in the team, and that is good :yk :misbah :shafiq

And to have the balance :umarakmal is required! He is just 21! Talent!

(and include :fawad also)

I believe the Drop from the Test team actually did him good

I mean just look at the calm and composed way he is batting currently
No Rash Shots just good sensible batting

I believe the Drop from the Test team actually did him good

I mean just look at the calm and composed way he is batting currently
No Rash Shots just good sensible batting

If you look at his first ever test match....

He showed he can play sensible innings....

Its just his natural style to be positive... (which can be confused with rash)

Good innings, he got pretty cocky there but you can't blame our loss on Akmal.

If you look at his first ever test match....

He showed he can play sensible innings....

Its just his natural style to be positive... (which can be confused with rash)

He made just 2 50s in his last 22 Innings

I mean why does he need special treatment?
Hes only 21 and this will only make him more determined to be as Consistent as he can be

Free Rides in the Test team will make him sloppy as was evident from his recent performances

The guy carried our chase today, a shame actually, shows that we still have a lot of work to do.
Misbah might be a good captain but he cant even score at a strike rate of 75 plus when his life would be on the line !

He made just 2 50s in his last 22 Innings

I mean why does he need special treatment?
Hes only 21 and this will only make him more determined to be as Consistent as he can be

Free Rides in the Test team will make him sloppy as was evident from his recent performances

You nurture talent... Not destroy it.

They are currently destroying fawads talent...

Bloke is a slightly better version of Afridi. After two years of international cricket he can't win the game on his day.

These are worthless 90 runs. I hate batsmen who throw their wickets away.

Khan ji you are one of the better posters here. Plz tell me why should be in test side.

Thanks.

I genuinely believe that he is the most gifted batsman we have produced since younis khan made his debut back in 2000.

Talent like this does not come round often.

Don't get me wrong - he is by no means the finished article. He has the raw ingredients to be in he inzy class.

He needs good coaching and mentoring as do all our youngsters.

He effectively needs to develop his game in the international side.

He needs to bat with the likes of yk and misbah so he improves.

The reason why he has gone backwards is that the think tank tried to turn him into afridi by making him bat so low down.

Also there was a period when the whole batting line up relied on him performing. That is not fair on a 20 year old.

People are being fooled into thinking our batting line up is strong because we have recently been batting on flat tracks or against rubbish bowling.

Have a look at where umarakmal has batted in his career.

Always outside the subcontinent and against better teams.

What he has already achieved for a 20 year old is amazing.

I made up my mind about his guy when I saw his two debut innings against a strong nz attack in nz.

One innings was a counterattacking one cos that was required. The other was a patient innings relevant to the circumstances.

There is nothing I have seen that suggests otherwise.

None of our batsmen come into test cricket ready.... They need on the job training against international attacks.

Pakistan cricket needs him becoz we produce enough good quality pacers but umar akmal is a rare batting talent comming from our country.shud nurture him very carefully.He is our future in batting i believe.

The Lahore Dynamite Fired Today

Take a bow Umar well played Innings

Back