Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

Losing Pakistan's best & most experienced batsmen in Younis Khan for the Test Series is a huge huge huge blow & a big gap to cover.

If Umar gets the chance this is a big series for him with his whole future as a potential Test cricketer. They might be tempted to go with Hammad due to his bowling. His bowling relies on accuracy & seam movement. With batsmen not attacking him & the nature of the red cherry which will deviate more he might turn out to be a useful choice. Both are capable to play in the starting line up. I reckon they will go for Umar Akmal.

He will make the fastest triple hundred in Test cricket, Inshallah.

Agar naheen kiya to mey apni moonch mundwaaduunga. :sarfraz

Get soon this then :umarakmal I gonna smash more than that.

Last edited:
This is a PakPassionate plea to the powers that be....

Do NOT ruin the career of a youngster who has the talent, the confidence and the charisma to become the next in line to the throne...

:jm :inzi :yk :moyo ....... :umarakmal ?

Umar Akmal is the best talent we have produced in over 10 years.

Young players with that talent need to be NURTURED.

He will learn NOTHING while he is out of the side.

The only way he will learn is to bat with :yk and :moyo. Those two only have a few months/years left in the side....

If we havent DEVELOPED some of the youngsters before they leave, I fear for Pakistan crickets future.

If you think the last 4 years have been bad.... wait til :yk and :moyo are gone.

He should be allowed to play with NO PRESSURE..... the pressure should be on the seniors not the juniors,,,,

Bring the boy back... give him the tools to be the best.... dont let yours or his ego get to your head....

Think....

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=108910

Dont MAKE him into an also-ran in this list...

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showpost.php?p=3063968&postcount=30

How many other of our 20 year olds have had a record like this.....?

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/317273.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting

FINALLY!

Umar Akmal makes comeback in the TEST arena!

Let's hope Umar, Asad, and Azhar all score heavily in this series. Make the most of your chance Umar!

Umar has got another life...very lucky to be playing this game...he should make the most of this opportunity.

In both ODIs AND tests he bats too low down.

He's too talented to be used as a slogger.

Our best batsman. Mismanaged, misunderstood, mystifying but should be a permanent fixture in the test team, otherwise we are too workmanlike.

Why is our best batsman batting at six? Behind the likes of Asad Shafiq?

I think SOSami put it well. Mystifying to say the least.

^

Could give it a try but it is a risk. Opening is very different to batting at 3, it's a different mentality. Hafeez shouldn't be opening and alternatives need to be tried, that's for sure.

Last edited:
^

Could give it a try but it is a risk. Opening is a different to batting at 3, it's a different mentality. Hafeez shouldn't be opening and alternatives need to be tried, that's for sure.

Not a risk at all IMO.

Its required.

The sooner we get the best 6 batsmen playing for Pak.... the better.

^

I meant it could be a good move or he could struggle in the new role, no harm in trying it out though.

If you're going to play him in a test match, why bother with him as a number six? He's more talented than some/all of those players above him, surely.

^

I meant it could be a good move or he could struggle in the new role, no harm in trying it out though.

sure - hopefully it will happen...

I am not holding my breath though....

Umar Akmal is playing very nicely...

Perhaps if he had the comfort of playing with proper batsmen instead of always being in with the tail, he would do much better. He needs a kick up the batting order, not a boot sending him out of the side.

Last edited:

The fielding side should have pakistani fielder. He will need 5 + chances to make that record.

I think you should keep the razer handy:D

If he had a decent batting coach rather than waqar he probably would have improved this part of his game.

Perhaps if he had the comfort of playing with proper batsmen instead of always being in with the tail, he would do much better. He needs a kick up the batting order, not a boot sending him out of the side.

This. It seems the only situations he ever bats in are when we are on the verge of collapsing. Batting with the tail is not easy for such an inexperienced batsman. People call him a senior player but he is young, both in terms of age and match experience. We need to keep in mind that only one senior batsman (MIsbah) is here with YKs absence. Younus does bring a lot to our test team.

Anyway, this match is far from over. Our bowlers will get us back into the match and I am sure our batsmen will apply themselves better in the second innings.

Umar Akmal is showing what the word CLASS means.

Umar Akmal is showing why he should never have been dropped.

Umar Akmal showing why he is the FUTURE of Pak cricket.

Umar Akmal showing that he is learning.

Umar Akmal showing that he is head and shoulders above the others.

Umar Akmal showing we should be supporting him every step of the way.

Umar Akmal showing that he should be batting with PROPER batsmen... not Afridi.

Umar Akmal - last man standing again.

Umar Akmal the Future of Pak Cricket.

Irrespective of whether we win today or not.

Umar Akmal Still Aged 20.

it's an absolute joke to even think about dropping Umar...ridiculous how his development has gone on in last 2 yrs...woeful management...the lad is showing why he's the best batsman by miles in this team...

it's an absolute joke to even think about dropping Umar...ridiculous how his development has gone on in last 2 yrs...woeful management...the lad is showing why he's the best batsman by miles in this team...

I think there are plenty people that want him dropped. :facepalm:

Very good Test comeback from him should get Pakistan over the line but both innings were good though!

The more to come in future. :umarakmal

Someone remind me why this kid was dropped? :facepalm:

Because we don't know how to develop players.

We expect finished products from the start.

It's a shame, really. Just look at Alastair Cook, he was persisted with and is coming through now. Pakistani selectors would have sent Cook packing a long time ago. :facepalm:

:))) :))) :))) @ all the haters!!!

Junior once again proves why he's head & shoulders above any new young talent in Pakistan in batting department!!! it's a pity he bats at no.6 and is constantly relied on to rescue the team...bit Inzi-esque

in my opinion if he bats at no.3 or 4 in ODIs/T20s, he can end up being better than the Legend :inzi himself!!! way too talented to be wasted at no.6!!! :facepalm:

It's a shame, really. Just look at Alastair Cook, he was persisted with and is coming through now. Pakistani selectors would have sent Cook packing a long time ago. :facepalm:

right on the money!!! we wouldn't be facing this issue if we had a board with vision and team backed by a strong coaching staff...England's revival in ODIs & Tests is due to these factors!!!

same with India!!!

Its called short term thinking.....

I dont know if its an IQ thing....?

They test the IQ of young kids by putting them in a room with a sweet, and then promising them that if they dont take that sweet for 15 minutes... they can have 10 sweets.

The ones that are clever wait....

^ How about his explosion today? :) At the moment he is the only good thing in our cricket!

Last edited:
Finally coming into some form. He can achieve so much if he stays away from controversy (and his eldest brother!). The world is in the palm of your hands Umar Akmal!

Umar should only be playing T20 and ODIS..We have better players for tests that don't have brain explosions.

Umar should only be playing T20 and ODIS..We have better players for tests that don't have brain explosions.

yah they get out without those brain explosions and the fatality is caused by lack of courage and talent.In the westindies tour only misbah made more than him in tests.

Last edited:
yah they get out without those brain explosions and the fatality is caused by lack of courage and talent.

I rather have someone who gets out from a good ball, then someone who trys to hit in TESTS.

I rather have someone who gets out from a good ball, then someone who trys to hit in TESTS.

I would rathar have someone who has some intention to his batting than the clueless batsmen who don't know the purpose of batting.

Then you should watch IPL, ODI and T20s.

I think in tests too you need to make runs and not waiting for a good ball to get out before missing out to score on all the long hops and half volleys.

I think in tests too you need to make runs and not waiting for a good ball to get out before missing out to score on all the long hops and half volleys.

Yeah ofcourse, but you shouldn't play shots you would normally play in ODIs or T20s because theres no point in trying to do that in Tests..

Umar looked so good in that test innings where he made 50, but he threw it away if he didn't he probably would have scored a lot more.

Yeah ofcourse, but you shouldn't play shots you would normally play in ODIs or T20s because theres no point in trying to do that in Tests..

Umar looked so good in that test innings where he made 50, but he threw it away if he didn't he probably would have scored a lot more.

yah he has defficiencies and so have our other batsmen. He is still young at test level and my friend he has been forced to be like that by playing him consistently at number 6 where you have to save wickets and score quick as well. Most of the batsmen at number 6 do not average much. This guy scored three centuries against australia A playing at number 4 against bollinger and krejza and you know most of our batsmen fail in australia. With proper batsmen around him like younis and inzimam . You would have seen the difference. Expectations pressurised him when he was supposed to be our best bat in england with no yousuf and younis.

Weekly IF...........

I have decided - I imagine to everyone's chagrin and consternation - to start a weekly IF thread. Anything IFfish that catches my fancy will end up being the topic, in case you were dying of curiosity about how it would work.

For this week (and, no, I am not counting the Tendulkar related If thread), the IF riff relates to:

If Umar Akmal had been born in India? How would his career have turned out? What about IF he had been born in England
?

Go for it, lads.

PS - Out a feeling of noblesse oblige and general goodwill resulting of a few wee drams of Speyside's finest, I will take suggestions from you lot for weekly IF topics.

Last edited:
I think he is doing fine even in Pakistan. Just needs to sort his temperament and will be a sure batting sure in the coming years. He has the game to be successful at the highest level. I saw his recent performances in carribbean and he did fine. If he had been born in India, he too would have done fine.

Though, I'm not sure of England...meaning would he have been given a chance at such a young age? I think England usually take players in early 20s but not players in teens.

Not sure he'd have survived there with his few childish antics to save his brother. But purely based on his skill and batting I think he sure is better than Raina atm, probably on par with Kohli.

He wouldn't fit into England batting lineup though, because their middle order is stacked. Had he been a opener might have got a look in.

That's a good way of looking at it. I think that he would have been mentored very well and have been given a good chance to develop his talent in the Indian lineup. In our setup, he would have still been playing the county circuit (circus to me, at times) and would have played as a more mature player.

Don't know about England, but in India, he probably won't have played many matches. Don't get me wrong, I feel that boy is as talented as anyone of his age, but playing for a side with so many good scorers (I put it as scorers, not batsmen, not that I am saying there are not many good batsmen in India, but in contrary, there are too many average players in Indian system having a FC average of 50+, built mainly from milking poor attacks on flat belters for hours together) in a team, what you need is consistent run of good scores, making best out of your starts & most importantly conversion into 100s, 200s & 300s in FC to come into contention or sustain.

With his talent, he would have made it to the Indian side at about same age probably, but for his casualness, recklessness, inconsistency & some what throwing wicket damn care attitude, I am sure he won't have sustained in Indian team for long. He could carry his career uninterrupted, partially due to the merit of the batting lineup, partially due to his influential relations on & off the filed & lack of options for the management. I don't think anyone can expect a long career with a debut Test century & failing to score a second one in next 2 years & about 30 innings for a good Test side.

However, a player is groomed from the domestic systems & what I have seen, though in Pak FC matches are of 4 days, due to being played in winters, at best 300 overs are possible in a match & players hardly gets opportunity to play long, long innings. So, from the very grass root levels, players are groomed to play FC matches with a over target in mind, to get results & dashing attitude creeps into their game. In India, there are 450-500 overs FC matches played on good batting surfaces, resulting youngsters play to stick for sessions, may be even for 150+ overs. With his talent, had been developed to bat for hours, he could be a different player all together. Also, I think, had he born in India, he must have gone to NCA Bangalore under Dav, & as I have seen/followed that man closely enough for 5 years; either he would have made Umar a great player that he should be or kicked him out of the system.

With his temperament, he would have been a Darren Maddy/Simon Brown type player under English condition; the day the ball middles the bat, he would be spectacular, but often losing out too cheaply. English selectors don't promote these type of player, neither they like to debut players under 25, therefore Umar would have been unknown yet, had he born in England & might even have never played for them, but man, had the English system could harness his recklessness at early age, don't know where he could have finished with his talent.

No comparison yet, but let me quote something from Gavasker, for a certain WI boy in early 70s. On his 74 tour of England, Brain Close showed him a young WI batsman at Taunton nets and forecasted, "See this boy Sunny, the greatest batsman of the world ever seen is developing here". Sunny had a look at the well-built boy of 21 & couldn't find anything apart from a very good hand-eye co-ordination & clean hitting power; but he couldn't argue with the man, Brain Close. That was the 2nd summer in Somerset for that reckless, somewhat arrogant WI boy, who 2 years later in '76, played his first Test series in England. Rest is history….., but again, no comparison yet, please.

don't know about england, but in india, he probably won't have played many matches. Don't get me wrong, i feel that boy is as talented as anyone of his age, but playing for a side with so many good scorers (i put it as scorers, not batsmen, not that i am saying there are not many good batsmen in india, but in contrary, there are too many average players in indian system having a fc average of 50+, built mainly from milking poor attacks on flat belters for hours together) in a team, what you need is consistent run of good scores, making best out of your starts & most importantly conversion into 100s, 200s & 300s in fc to come into contention or sustain.

With his talent, he would have made it to the indian side at about same age probably, but for his casualness, recklessness, inconsistency & some what throwing wicket damn care attitude, i am sure he won't have sustained in indian team for long. He could carry his career uninterrupted, partially due to the merit of the batting lineup, partially due to his influential relations on & off the filed & lack of options for the management. I don't think anyone can expect a long career with a debut test century & failing to score a second one in next 2 years & about 30 innings for a good test side.

However, a player is groomed from the domestic systems & what i have seen, though in pak fc matches are of 4 days, due to being played in winters, at best 300 overs are possible in a match & players hardly gets opportunity to play long, long innings. So, from the very grass root levels, players are groomed to play fc matches with a over target in mind, to get results & dashing attitude creeps into their game. In india, there are 450-500 overs fc matches played on good batting surfaces, resulting youngsters play to stick for sessions, may be even for 150+ overs. With his talent, had been developed to bat for hours, he could be a different player all together. Also, i think, had he born in india, he must have gone to nca bangalore under dav, & as i have seen/followed that man closely enough for 5 years; either he would have made umar a great player that he should be or kicked him out of the system.

With his temperament, he would have been a darren maddy/simon brown type player under english condition; the day the ball middles the bat, he would be spectacular, but often losing out too cheaply. English selectors don't promote these type of player, neither they like to debut players under 25, therefore umar would have been unknown yet, had he born in england & might even have never played for them, but man, had the english system could harness his recklessness at early age, don't know where he could have finished with his talent.

No comparison yet, but let me quote something from gavasker, for a certain wi boy in early 70s. On his 74 tour of england, brain close showed him a young wi batsman at taunton nets and forecasted, "see this boy sunny, the greatest batsman of the world ever seen is developing here". Sunny had a look at the well-built boy of 21 & couldn't find anything apart from a very good hand-eye co-ordination & clean hitting power; but he couldn't argue with the man, brain close. That was the 2nd summer in somerset for that reckless, somewhat arrogant wi boy, who 2 years later in '76, played his first test series in england. Rest is history….., but again, no comparison yet, please.

potw!

He has a great oppurtunity to settle down at no 3 in the next 2 years and take over from Inzi as an aggressive batsmen who matured into a solid bat.
He has a very wide range of attacking shots on both sides of the wicket, doesnt seem to have any obvious weakness against pace or spin.
Only his temperament needs adjustment.

This is just ridiculous!

He has a really good series against West Indies...

He should be promoted up the order to 4....

Instead he is "rested"...

I can't believe it!!!!

voww Misbah is grooming senior players against low ranked side instead of youngsters..genius :amir

It made 0 sense resting Umar today instead of Younis or Misbah, absolutely no sense

Would have liked to see Umar play in this match too, but as much as Pakistan need to groom him
it is equally important to give Asad Shafiq an opportunity to play on this tour. Umar will definitely be selected for T20. Younus will offcourse be left out in T20.

comes a match without any pressure and poor umar is sitting out. Shame that asad can be promoted up but umar to save the day only? Rubbish!

Back