Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

The most anticipated International Cricket Debut in Pakistan wrt Batsman after Inzamam’s debut was that of Umar Akmal.

At age 17-18 He dominated Australia A in Australia across all formats in 2008-2009 Pakistan A tour of Australia where He was miles ahead of all Aussie and Pak A batsmen.

Indeed Akmal made a terrific start to his Int Cricket aswell with breathtaking 1st Odi and Test Centuries. Akmal dominated peak Malinga, Ajantha and the likes of 90 mph bowling Shane Bond , Chris Martin and peak Vettori. Bond took 8 wickets in the test debut of Akmal where Akmal scored 129 & 75.

Beginners luck.

Never looked like doing it again ever.

Performances for Pakistan A on tour of Australia compared to current FC and List A performances. Wonder what is his current fitness status and ICC investigations.

Attachments

• 422665B0-15EB-4106-B9FF-30D8290E5C08.jpg
    422665B0-15EB-4106-B9FF-30D8290E5C08.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 57DB4EA7-3D26-44DA-AC95-61AF4617FDE4.jpg
    57DB4EA7-3D26-44DA-AC95-61AF4617FDE4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 161
  • DBC973F8-E777-46E4-93DF-393A9C4619F7.jpg
    DBC973F8-E777-46E4-93DF-393A9C4619F7.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 174
Beginners luck.

Never looked like doing it again ever.

Well he did play some quality knocks after that aswell. Who could forget that six of Morkel & that cover drive of Watson along with him dominating Johnson aswell.

Rather than getting mature like Rohit Sharma, Akmal fell apart with :

1. Mishandling by Captain, team management and Selectors.

2. Poorest of work ethics along with zero brain drills.

3. Poorest attitude towards cricket and fame getting to his head with that superstar tag at Age 19-20.

4. Ever regressing batting intelligence.

His start could not be described as beginners luck. At age 18-19 he stroked 3 hundreds in Australia for Pakistan A, something not achieved by any Pakistani youngster at this age in such a tough away Pakistan A tour.

Until now Umar Akmal is a collective failure of Pakistan Cricket structure aswell as his own multiple faults.

Once again it was inaugural PSL and Akmal stood out. Outscored red hot Sharjeel Khan with a better Ave and SR.

Attachments

• 8C861B02-48F2-404E-AEF3-484FF020BCE3.jpg
    8C861B02-48F2-404E-AEF3-484FF020BCE3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Well he did play some quality knocks after that aswell. Who could forget that six of Morkel & that cover drive of Watson along with him dominating Johnson aswell.

Rather than getting mature like Rohit Sharma, Akmal fell apart with :

1. Mishandling by Captain, team management and Selectors.

2. Poorest of work ethics along with zero brain drills.

3. Poorest attitude towards cricket and fame getting to his head with that superstar tag at Age 19-20.

4. Ever regressing batting intelligence.

His start could not be described as beginners luck. At age 18-19 he stroked 3 hundreds in Australia for Pakistan A, something not achieved by any Pakistani youngster at this age in such a tough away Pakistan A tour.

Until now Umar Akmal is a collective failure of Pakistan Cricket structure aswell as his own multiple faults.

Oh Yes, that was really awesome shot. That was the first time i realized Pakistan has found a batsman after Imran Nazir who has serious potential to be a gun LOI batsman. Unfortunately, just like Imran Nazir, he lacked brain cells (not trying to make fun of him). He made mistakes in shot selection and suffered brain freeze under pressure at times. Constant scrutiny from team management and media didn't helped either. He could have improved if given longer rope in test cricket by Misbah. I don't know why he was dropped from test team in first place. I don't remember him suffering from extended poor form. He has really regressed now, last time i saw him PSL (I watched PSL just to see him), he played like a hack. Feel sorry for him at times.

His cricketing talent was there. But his complaining attitude, putting his own failures to others, unnecessary arrogance, not understanding team requirements, and poorest work ethics were the main reasons.

Generally, I have not seen Misbah dropped anyone unmerited, obviously, it would be these off the field issues he always carries might be the reason. Even Baz[ who has nothing to do with Pak cricket] had to say something about UA work ethics, and instead UA was saying PCB should investigate the matter and form the committee.

His cricketing talent was there. But his complaining attitude, putting his own failures to others, unnecessary arrogance, not understanding team requirements, and poorest work ethics were the main reasons.

Generally, I have not seen Misbah dropped anyone unmerited, obviously, it would be these off the field issues he always carries might be the reason. Even Baz[ who has nothing to do with Pak cricket] had to say something about UA work ethics, and instead UA was saying PCB should investigate the matter and form the committee.

I will be fair to both sides, Umar Akmal was hard done by from 2010 to 2012 when he was the best batsman in the team, i feel he was unfairly axed from the test team in 2010 and he was performing decently from 2010 to 2012 and he enjoyed some good form in the first half of 2014 but has completely lost it from 2014 onwards where his work ethic, fitness and drive to improve his game and fight for a place in the team has just gone out of the window.

Quick 129 by Umar Akmal today in QA trophy. I'm hoping he will score couple of more to get back to the team or at least in PSL. LQ should use him down the order this season.

Back