Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

All the people against umar i ask u a qusetion if umar doesnt deserve to be in the team then who ? Asad shafiq ? Umar tries to provide the team which it needs ? & what all of ur other so called talented players does is they try to save their place in team ...

Umar Akmal deserves to be in the team more than most.

He is our future superstar...

VALUABLE training time is being wasted!

haha.. Khan ji lagta hai wait karrahe the Shafique ke out hone ka..

haha.. Khan ji lagta hai wait karrahe the Shafique ke out hone ka..

I have been waiting since Umar Akmal was dropped.... please see OP. :)

It doesnt matter who has his place.

Umar Akmal should be in the side.

A question about Umar Akmal

How many Tests has he played on flat pitches, and what have his performances been like?

I'm asking because I get the feeling his Test career thus far has been on NZ, Australian and English pitches - all traditionally favoring bowlers.

Just wondering what sort of damage he could do on a flat pitch like this one.

I don;t understand why he isn't playing Asad Shafiq shouldn't be playing tests until one of Misbah or Younis retire, Umar Akmal would have killed these bowlers on this pitch

Lol lets not get carried away. "these bowlers" are the number one attack in the world.

But overall I'd have thought he deserves a chance to cash in on some flat tracks.

Anybody got the stats?

What you on about carried away when the bowl was old on this pitch we hardly saw any good bowling just our team making them look good

These are flat tracks but by no means easy. They are slow and low and are difficult to play expansive shots on. Akmal as we know likes to play expansive shots.

No doubt they are have great bowlers but in these condition's no better then others , Umar Akmal would have hammered these

He was in good touch since Srilanka series.He could have done better than Shafiq i think.Hope he plays 2nd test.

Umar Akmal has played 12 of his 16 Tests in England (6), Australia(3), and New Zealand(3).
His stats in those 12 matches:
Runs: 812
Avg: 37.18

His other 4 matches have come in West Indies(2), Zimbabwe(1), and UAE(1).
Runs: 185
Avg: 31.00

So he has played most of his Tests on bowling friendly tracks.

asad has played most of his matches in uae bangla and west indies...

only 2 away in kiwi

still he is learning LOL .. :p how to bat on flat decks :D

we should look what his scores were against SA 2010.

He played here the last time i think.

Umar Akmal has played 12 of his 16 Tests in England (6), Australia(3), and New Zealand(3).

Not just that....

When he was playing on those bowling friendly tracks... he was effectively the "senior batsman".

Its ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING the way he has been treated.

Going by those stats one can say his stats on bowler friendly pitches are one of the best at the moment if you compare with other guys in the side.

today was the perfect senario where a Umar Akmal knock was needed to take the game away from England. If you were a England bowler who would you rather have coming in on these flat tracks?

IMO as long as our middle order consists of Azhar, Younis and Misbah there is no room to have a Asad type of player. He is a good choice to have in the squad if a batsman gets injured but right now Umar is the perfect number 6 we need.

Not just that....

When he was playing on those bowling friendly tracks... he was effectively the "senior batsman".

Exactly

He had the pressure of carrying the batting so early in his career. And his performance wasnt that bad. He can play swing bowling, he can play spin

He is a star in the making, don keep him out for average players like Shafiq

Very good point in the op. Umar would love to bat on these tracks. Shafiq needs to go.

Well with Whatmore taking over, hopefully Umar Akmal will get his brain into gear for once otherwise the coach will be dishing out a size 10 chappal treatment if he does not perform. He has a lot of potential but wastes starts by playing unnecessarily flashy shots. He needs to bat with brains and put a price on his wicket if he's to become a successful Test batsman.

He is just not a test player, don't waste a spot by playing him. Waqar was spot on regarding him.

He is just not a test player, don't waste a spot by playing him. Waqar was spot on regarding him.

let me remind you that this guy made it into international cricket cause of his performance in test. He got nominated for ICC emerging cricketer of the year cause of his good performance in test.

What does Waqar know? He even said that Adnan Akmal plays for faisalabad.

let me remind you that this guy made it into international cricket cause of his performance in test. He got nominated for ICC emerging cricketer of the year cause of his good performance in test.

What does Waqar know? He even said that Adnan Akmal plays for faisalabad.

Yes, we were all excited when he made his debut, he looked genuine, but sadly now he has been found out and is a walking wicket in test cricket. Do not see him succeeding even in UAE conditions. Yes Waqar doesn't know anything, and you know everything, fair enough.

Most people in pakistan have obsession with brainless sloggers afridi, nazir, umar akmal, shehzad, shahzaib all are very popular with fans but are not test material or quality.They are not as good as some made them out to be here.

Asad has potential but his style seems a bit too much like Younis Khan or Misbah. I feel we need a attacking batsmen at number 6 position who can take the game to the team and win matches with quick fire 50s or 100s. I feel Umar Akmal has potential only if he can put a price on his wicket. He can be a good test player if he can use his brain. Like I feel we lack versatility. We lack a player who can play both games. Attacking and defensive. I find Hafeez entertaining because I feel he can play both attacking and defensive games. Umar Akmal needs to be that kinda player. I do have faith in him and hope for the best. As a fan I haven't given up on Umar Akmal.

Umar Akmal has played:

• 3 Tests in New Zeland
  • 3 Tests in Australia
  • 6 Tests in England
  • 1 innings in UAE
  • 2 Tests in difficult conditions in West Indies
  • 1 innings in Zimbabwe

Note that both time he was dropped after one innings in UAE and then after just one innings against Zimbabwe, being out in an unlucky way.
That's called giving confidence to your young players and great captaincy :misbah

played 2 tests in west indies
1 in zim
1 in uae

rest in aus kiwi and england

Not just that....

Umar Akmal has played:

• 3 Tests in New Zeland
  • 3 Tests in Australia
  • 6 Tests in England
  • 1 innings in UAE
  • 2 Tests in difficult conditions in West Indies
  • 1 innings in Zimbabwe

Note that both time he was dropped after one innings in UAE and then after just one innings against Zimbabwe, being out in an unlucky way.
That's called giving confidence to your young players and great captaincy :misbah

Thanks fellas.

Just confirmed my suspicions.

Didn't think it before, and used to blame him for his reckless ways, but it's quite obvious now that he has been mistreated here if 75% of his matches have been on bowling-friendly conditions.

I really do think he could be a big-impact player on flat decks of the subcontinent and UAE.

Yeah I was just wondering. How in God's green earth is Umar Akmal not playing. He is easily the best batsman in the Pakistan team. Is he in the squad atleast.

He is in the squad. He was the first guy from the squad to congratulate Ajmal at stumps on Day 1.

we definately need a warner type player preferably at 6. on the long run we have to look for a wicket keeper who can give us 40 every time with 70 or 80 sometimes. our batting lineup is very weak.

You my friends have pwned all the Asad fanboys with these stats. :razzaq

I truly hope my man :umarakmal is selected tomorrow...

A joy to watch.

Umar Akmal instead of Azhar Ali

Azhar is a good player, but i am afraid he is getting out on same deliveries every time. So that's not very encouraging for team. He blocks too many unnecessary balls and i have seen him punishing good deliveries rather than loose ones. I think Umar akmal should be given chance in next test in place of azhar at one down. Umar is a perfect batsmen for that position.
:dav

lol 2 failures and you want him out. He has been a rock at 3 and has given us stability in most innings.

stability of what..? only one 50+ score in england and one century against weak attack in batting friendly pitches...

i just dont understand people, one time you want to replace asad with umar and now azhar with umar.....we need to be patient. These players have been performing consistently for while. They are human and cant perform well all the time. Cricket is all about confidence.

Have you seen his technique?
He always block loose balls and go for good balls to play shots..so his shot selection is not very good plus he is technically weak against in swinging deliveries and spinners.

Rubbish Thread, Azhar has been a consistent perform in the last 12 months and just 2 failure don't mean that he should be kicked out

I don't think Azhar should be replaced since he has been doing so well for us, however I am concerned. He seems troubled by spin, seam and swing.

Taufeeq a worst player of off spin so why not Akmal inplace of him

as in next match swann will take his wkt again so ckt gurus why not?? we already seen that he struggled against Mahmudulla in BA. Azhar or Shafiq can open the innings. (ONLY FOR NEXT MATCH)

averaging forty as is Azhar

we have time to groom him. Yes he played a bad shot but who hasnt

he made 58 when we were 4 down

its not like we are keeping out double centurions are we?

he cannot score big runs ...mark my words...

obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg

Yeah like thats going to help his confidence?

Why do we ask for Batsmen's head if they fail in 1 or 2 Innings

Wasnt Azhar Ali our most consistent Batsman for 2011?

the eextent to which people are trying to get akmal into the team is just getting hilarious tbh.

U.Akmal IN Ajmal his battings better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as in next match swann will take his wkt again so ckt gurus why not?? we already seen that he struggled against Mahmudulla in BA. Azhar or Shafiq can open the innings. (ONLY FOR NEXT MATCH)

Lemme ask u a question here

Who was the highest run scorer for Pakistan in Test Cricket for 2011?

:))) :)))

First it was Asad Shafiq should be replaced with Umar Akmal, then it was Azhar Ali should be replaced with Umar Akmal, and now it's Taufeeq Umar should be replaced with Umar Akmal!

What's next? Younis or Misbah should be replaced with Umar Akmal?

Pathetic thread, this tells me the desperation of Umar Akmal fan than any thing else. First they wanted Umar over Asad and now that Asad has scored a pretty 50 (he should have gone on to score a century but that's for another thread) their guns have turned on Azhar. Azhar has been the most consistent batsman in 2011 and just two sub par scores in this series is leading the kids brigade to ask for his head......
GROW UP.......

A player who made highest score for pakistan in 2011 drop him still not understand your thread

they wont rest until Umar Akmal is in the Team

22 Innings and 2 Fifties -----> Umar Akmal :akhtar

Have you seen his technique?
He always block loose balls and go for good balls to play shots..so his shot selection is not very good plus he is technically weak against in swinging deliveries and spinners.

I agree although some people won't.I am not saying that drop him permanently but when he is out of form and not performing,
Give chance to others(like U.Akmal :umarakmal )
while A.Ali gets his form back.

I agree although some people won't.I am not saying that drop him permanently but when he is out of form and not performing,
Give chance to others(like U.Akmal :umarakmal )
while A.Ali gets his form back.

what is your criterion of assessing someone he's out of form? 2 failures on 2 different kind of pitches and he's out? Give me a break.

what is your criterion of assessing someone he's out of form? 2 failures on 2 different kind of pitches and he's out? Give me a break.

Lets see what he does when goes out to bat next innings...
I am 90% sure he won't even get a 50..
I am not saying that no one can prove me wrong,in fact I will be happy if A.Ali gets a 50 & he proves me wrong..

Last edited:
Wow, some people are so desperate to see Umer Akmal in the team that they are willing to drop half the team for him

Junior should replace Asad regarless of his last innings. Here is why I think Asad should be replaced, If they want to play Asad at no. 6 then it is the wrong number for him. Asad should be coming in at No. 3 just like how he was in ODI's. He has done well at that position. Asad is more like a player who can build the inning given he has time and is playing with a proper batsman on the other side. At 6, they need a batsman who can really take it to the opposition and more importantly can play with tail. Asad simply doesn't have strokes for him him to play with tails because he can't hit boundries on consistent basis. Azhar, I am afraid is just a limited batsman who has good temprament but unfortunately is very low on stroke making. Also he doesn't seem to recognize a bad delivery to put away. I think he should still be in the team given the fact that he has done well consistently but he also needs to show some improvement which he hasn't yet with his shot making.

Lets see what he does when goes out to bat next innings...
I am 90% sure he won't even get a 50..
I am not saying that no one can prove me wrong,in fact I will be happy if A.Ali gets a 50 & he proves me wrong..

So just cuz you're saying we should replace him. Good job. :19:

Azhar Ali should NOT be dropped!!!!!

But Umarakmal HAS to be in the side!!!!

Umar Bradman has to wait until Misbah and/or Younis retires for his chance. Both Asad and Azhar are consistently performing and no way Juniors inclusion is justified at this point.

On a side note - how abt having Afridi in the side instead of Bradman - he will get you quick runs and will get out in a similar fashion more likely. However, his legspin will be more than helpful to knock England down. This where I think Afridi has an edge over junior :) Bring Afridi back, I say

Well Junior was replaced by Asad because of his form/performance and Asad is performing and putting runs on the board up till now. So sit, relax and enjoy the game, plz.

Well Junior was replaced by Asad because of his form/performance and Asad is performing and putting runs on the board up till now. So sit, relax and enjoy the game, plz.

what based on one test against zimbabwe, which was no fault of umar akmal when he was unlucky to get out, remember the ball hit the fielders boot and popped up in the air.

before that go to west indies series when younis was out of the team due to family bereavment and shafiq and akmal were in the team

shafiq had a horrid west indies tour averaging 12

umar akmal averaged over 40

and ever since one mickey mouse game against zimbabwe he has been out of the team.

and we have had to watch the borefest like azhar ali and shafiq struggle on placid pitches in uae and bangla against sri lanka and bangladesh with no offence intended have mickey mouse mediocre test attacks. they strike rates are barely cross 40 against sri lanka and bangladesh of all teams.

shafiq
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...s=1;template=results;type=batting;view=series

umar
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...s=1;template=results;type=batting;view=series

now see how shafiq has been given a consistent run on flat pitches in uae, and then compare to umar akmal who has only played one test in the uae.

and then look at west indies tour shafiq was all at sea, but still was picked against bangladesh and sri lanka , and umar akmal was dropped for one failure against zimbabwe and even kicked out of the squad for malik.

Last edited:
This is really stupid when ppl start mentioning the teams against which players scored or did well. Is this really players choice in selecting or scheduling games with teams. You have to play whoever is your oppenent and mind you scoring runs against any team requires concentration, skills, talent etc... Cricket is a one ball game for batsmen, so plz don't give these weak opponent lame excuses

what based on one test against zimbabwe, which was no fault of umar akmal when he was unlucky to get out, remember the ball hit the fielders boot and popped up in the air.

before that go to west indies series when younis was out of the team due to family bereavment and shafiq and akmal were in the team

shafiq had a horrid west indies tour averaging 12

umar akmal averaged over 40

and ever since one mickey mouse game against zimbabwe he has been out of the team.

and we have had to watch the borefest like azhar ali and shafiq struggle on placid pitches in uae and bangla against sri lanka and bangladesh with no offence intended have mickey mouse mediocre test attacks. they strike rates are barely cross 40 against sri lanka and bangladesh of all teams.

shafiq

umar

now see how shafiq has been given a consistent run on flat pitches in uae, and then compare to umar akmal who has only played one test in the uae.

and then look at west indies tour shafiq was all at sea, but still was picked against bangladesh and sri lanka , and umar akmal was dropped for one failure against zimbabwe and even kicked out of the squad for malik.

What you failed to mention is that:

Umar Akmal - 30 innings

Shafiq - 16 innings

and Shafiq already has same # of centuries and is only 2 less in half centuries when compared to Umar. Shafiq has a higher average than Umar.

Whatever chances have been given to both Shafiq and Umar, Shafiq has performed better. Stats can't lie. So give your shout about Umar a rest. Shafiq is performing well and he should be given a consistent run. Umar is good for ODI's and he should stick there for a while and wait for his chance in test.

And one factor of luck that I should also add - Whichever series Shafiq played, Pakistan have either drawn or won it. This should be good enough for us to let him continue as well. We're also leading this series against England. Shafiq is our Kohli as far as luck factor and being a part of winning team is concerned.

Back