[VIDEOS] Pakistan to host Champions Trophy 2025

The PCB tried to threaten the BCCI with boycotting the WC in India as revenge for India not playing the Asia Cup in Pakistan and Pakistan boycotting the Asia Cup.

Jay Shah told Sethi no problem, I will invite another major test playing country to India to play a 5 Match ODI and a 5 Match T20 series to compensate Star Sports for the $30 million Asia Cup Indo Pak match losses.

As far as Pakistan boycotting the WC in India is concerned, no problem, your choice, the entire world will come to play in India, the BCCI will not accept any hybrid matches for Pakistan outside India, if Pakistan wants to play the WC in India, most welcome, if not, then that's Pakistan's choice but the WC will go on in India without Pakistan.

Sethi realized without the ICC money the PCB would go bankrupt and the PCB had no real takers in the ICC or Asian countries and no one was going to go against BCCI, heck all the ICC countries combined could still not do Jack to BCCI hence he stood down from his aggressive stance and begged BCCI for a face saving hybrid model solution.

The PCB is not in any position to defy the BCCI, its better for the PCB to accept this reality and to work around it.
While a lot of what you say is true, the ICC and PCB are not without leverage. BCCI will earn close to $230Mn this year from the ICC. It's less significant for the BCCI than for other boards but it's still a massive amount of money. A lot of that money comes from the India-Pakistan game.

Whether the PCB and the rest of the boards are capable of using this leverage is up in the air. It would require some sacrifice and forward thought which they've not displayed so far.

Can you provide me any links to support this? My research shows me 2023-31.

While a lot of what you say is true, the ICC and PCB are not without leverage. BCCI will earn close to $230Mn this year from the ICC. It's less significant for the BCCI than for other boards but it's still a massive amount of money. A lot of that money comes from the India-Pakistan game.

Whether the PCB and the rest of the boards are capable of using this leverage is up in the air. It would require some sacrifice and forward thought which they've not displayed so far.

BCCI will make that revenue from organising a mini IPL with Indian players only.

Money is really no leverage against BCCI.

All boards know it.

Also, ICC doesn't sell any separate rights for Indo Pak matches.

Pakistan was amde the host for this event so just because India cannot come, host should not suffer. So there are 2 scenarios:

1: India comes to Pakistan to play

2: India refuses to come but the event goes on and both the parties have to suffer the loss due to this settlement. SImple

2. Isn't limited to just two parties. Losses will be suffered by all ICC members.

During an interview with a local channel, Mohammad Hafeez was asked about his opinion on whether India should visit Pakistan for the ICC Champions Trophy 2025:

"They should come. There's no doubt about it because the cricket between India and Pakistan is not just limited to this region. They are for the entire world. When these two teams play, it's not just Pakistan and India fans who watch them, fans from all around the world watch their games. So why stop it (India from coming to Pakistan)?I believe that we should come up with a right solution, keeping political issues aside. We respect India's position, but sports should not be dragged into it.

Bilateral series, ICC events, wherever they are taking place, I would be glad if India and Pakistan play Tests, ODIs, and T20Is. Whether it's Pakistan visiting India, or India visiting Pakistan, that would be great for the game of cricket. Or for whatever reason it's not possible for either team to play in each other's country, then we should take a neutral venue so that the promotion of the game can continue."

I think ICC knew the whole situation about India but they still allotted Pakistan to host this event. It should mean something.
I say that because I do not have faith in ICC. They do not have a backbone. When push comes to shove, they will side with the BCCI.

The award was more of PR stunt. I am sure they foresaw the Ind. issue. But awarded it to Pak. probably fully know that PCB will cave in if the going gets tough.

As I said before, everyone is drunk on BCCI $$$. Reduced revenue is just not acceptable to them.

They should consider the option of living with less revenues. Adjust and budget accordingly. But greed triumphs when it comes to ICC and the boards. They will pick the $$$.

The PCB tried to threaten the BCCI with boycotting the WC in India as revenge for India not playing the Asia Cup in Pakistan and Pakistan boycotting the Asia Cup.

Jay Shah told Sethi no problem, I will invite another major test playing country to India to play a 5 Match ODI and a 5 Match T20 series to compensate Star Sports for the $30 million Asia Cup Indo Pak match losses.

As far as Pakistan boycotting the WC in India is concerned, no problem, your choice, the entire world will come to play in India, the BCCI will not accept any hybrid matches for Pakistan outside India, if Pakistan wants to play the WC in India, most welcome, if not, then that's Pakistan's choice but the WC will go on in India without Pakistan.

Sethi realized without the ICC money the PCB would go bankrupt and the PCB had no real takers in the ICC or Asian countries and no one was going to go against BCCI, heck all the ICC countries combined could still not do Jack to BCCI hence he stood down from his aggressive stance and begged BCCI for a face saving hybrid model solution.

The PCB is not in any position to defy the BCCI, its better for the PCB to accept this reality and to work around it.
Why not sit back and let ICC to decide. ?

Why not sit back and let ICC to decide. ?

ICC i.e. BCCI.

The PCB need to be more proactive. They know full well that BCCI and the Indian Government will not give permission to the Indian Cricket team to come to Pakistan. The PCB knows this 10 months in advance. Therefore they should make alternative arrangements regarding the Hybrid model now and not be living in a fantasy world thinking India will come and then be caught with no Plan B at the last minute.

Hybrid model hurts Pakistan the most. We saw that in the Asia cup. It’s a dumb model to begin with, the players get tired out, it costs significantly more etc. either host it in Pakistan or move it out completely.

The BCCI should boycott the event to express support for Imran Khan, one of the greatest cricketers of all time.

PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi during a press conference in Lahore said:

"We've sent the schedule for the matches in Pakistan for the ICC Champions Trophy, The ICC's security team came and we had a very good meeting. They looked at arrangements here and we'll also share stadium upgrade plans with them. We're continuously in touch with the ICC. We are trying to ensure we host a very good tournament in Pakistan."

"If you look at Gaddafi [stadium in Lahore], it is good, but the viewing experience is not great for cricket. Football maybe, not cricket," Naqvi said. "We need to improve facilities in the stadiums, where there are some old problems. [The National Stadium in] Karachi is in bad shape. So on May 7th, we'll finalise bids from international companies who will come and help us design. We will work with local consultants as well. We are already late but we need to do these upgrades in four-five months. It will be a very tough test but we can do it."

I would love to see India play in Pakistan again, however the modern world doesn't work like that.

But somewhere in my lifetime, I hope to see Pakistan Vs India resuming bilateral series again.

You cant have international tournaments at such short notice.

Many people would like to visit. Accomodations needs to be sorted and arranged.

Even if it becomes a hybrid model people may want to watch games in Dubai and book up soon.

The only reason it's taking so much time is because of the Indians.

A decision needs to be made for the sake of everyone else.

Major sports events can't be held hostage to bureaucracy.
did PCB think abotu all this when they giving the run around for the WC23 participation?

PCB should be paid back with the same token. They should shown their aukaat.

did PCB think abotu all this when they giving the run around for the WC23 participation?

PCB should be paid back with the same token. They should shown their aukaat.
Yeah the world cup was a shambles for visitors because of the PCB lol.

"This all comes after the schedule for the tournament was not finalised until August - tickets went on sale less then six weeks before it began, making it difficult for fans to plan travel from overseas or other parts of India."

BBC article about the world cup shambles.

SMH article

"The explanation for all this absenteeism is easily divined. For reasons known only to itself, the BCCI released the schedule late and then changed it anyway. The allocation of venues was as much political as it was strategic; there are more group matches in the small, new and relatively hard to reach hill station of Dharamshala than there are in Kolkata’s famous Eden Gardens or Mumbai’s storied Wankhede stadium"

I know it's easy to blame Pakistan for everything once you have swallowed the BJP pill.

Yeah the world cup was a shambles for visitors because of the PCB lol.

"This all comes after the schedule for the tournament was not finalised until August - tickets went on sale less then six weeks before it began, making it difficult for fans to plan travel from overseas or other parts of India."

BBC article about the world cup shambles.

SMH article

"The explanation for all this absenteeism is easily divined. For reasons known only to itself, the BCCI released the schedule late and then changed it anyway. The allocation of venues was as much political as it was strategic; there are more group matches in the small, new and relatively hard to reach hill station of Dharamshala than there are in Kolkata’s famous Eden Gardens or Mumbai’s storied Wankhede stadium"

I know it's easy to blame Pakistan for everything once you have swallowed the BJP pill.
PCB did every thing it could to make BCCI life harder.

BCCI should pay PCB with the same token.

BCCI destroyed the Asia cup and then held a world cup in a contaminated environment while also causing major inconvenience to all foreign fans.

They made their own life hard.

Propaganda was also carried out by their journalists and fans against us and our own team. We haven't forgotten anything.

BCCI destroyed the Asia cup and then held a world cup in a contaminated environment while also causing major inconvenience to all foreign fans.

They made their own life hard.
Still don't have to let PCB get away with their actions. Kick them to curb till the end of times.

To be honest, it's a bit of squirrelly statement from Anurag Thakur. To say “It is up to the BCCI to decide" puts the BCCI in the tricky position of having to make political and foreign policy decisions and having to answer to the ICC why they're not traveling when their government is giving them freedom . If he does not want the Indian team to travel, he should come out and say the Indian government will not permit it. That gives clarity and allows next steps to be decided.

Now it still leaves the whole thing fuzzy and everybody's still discussing nonsense. The ICC will still be lobbying the BCCI.
It matches PCB and Pak govts behavior wrt to WC23. Whats wrong with that. PCB and Pak shouldn't dish out what it can't take.

You are welcome. BCCI should do all it can to completely eradicate this thought process that there will be no consequences to PCB's behavior.

PCB should be made to weigh the consequence before they mess with BCCI in the future.
😂 BCCI has done everything in its power to marginalized Pakistan cricket yet here we are. So much hatred and venom in the hearts of Indians unfortunately. Regardless, you do realize that there are numerous discussions taking place between officials which none of us are privy to. What gets played out in public and in the media is to get people like you all riled up 😂 cmon BCCI, show us our aukaat

PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi during a press conference in Lahore said:

"We've sent the schedule for the matches in Pakistan for the ICC Champions Trophy, The ICC's security team came and we had a very good meeting. They looked at arrangements here and we'll also share stadium upgrade plans with them. We're continuously in touch with the ICC. We are trying to ensure we host a very good tournament in Pakistan."

"If you look at Gaddafi [stadium in Lahore], it is good, but the viewing experience is not great for cricket. Football maybe, not cricket," Naqvi said. "We need to improve facilities in the stadiums, where there are some old problems. [The National Stadium in] Karachi is in bad shape. So on May 7th, we'll finalise bids from international companies who will come and help us design. We will work with local consultants as well. We are already late but we need to do these upgrades in four-five months. It will be a very tough test but we can do it."
So PCB has already sent the schedule to ICC. This is huge news! One has to give credit to new PCB management here. I personally have a strong feeling about it, this Naqvi guy is something else. Gone are the days of Raja, Najam and Zaka. Jay Shah and co. were struggling a lot with 2023 WC scheduling if i remember correctly. I hope PCB learns from the ticketing mistakes that BCCI did as well, that was a mess! @cricketjoshila will you be coming over to this side of the border, would love to catch you for a match in Lahore?

It matches PCB and Pak govts behavior wrt to WC23. Whats wrong with that. PCB and Pak shouldn't dish out what it can't take.
I don't particularly care about punishing Pakistan. The BCCI is all powerful in world cricket and it was very obvious what was going to happen in both the Asia and World Cup so who cares about these minor antics. I was just commenting on the Sports Minister throwing the BCCI under the bus when it's obvious it's a government decision on the travel.

They had years to prepare for this and 9 seasons of PSL. They couldn't even paint the roof of gaddafi stadium.

Last edited by a moderator:
As per reports, Lahore, Karachi, and Rawalpindi are the three venues proposed by the PCB in the initial draft schedule of the 2025 Champions Trophy, recently sent to the ICC.

Correct me if i am wrong but BCCI hasn't signed the MPA. ICC cannot force the Indian team to go to Pakistan. That's for sure.

There is a small chance that Indian may go to Pakistan because this is a ICC event and GoI usually doesn't interfere in participation in world events.

But you never know what GoI will decide.

ICC and its members will have to decide if they want to take a 80 per cent revenue cut by hosting the tournament in Pakistan without India.

Personally i don't have issues if CT is held in Pakistan without India.

What about the 3 points CJ?😨

Your argument for playing Pakistan in ICC events was “wHy ShOuLd We LoSe OuT oN 3 pOiNtS”🤭

Don't think we will be hosting the Champions Trophy in Pakistan. India wont come and sponsor won't be interested if India backs out.

I don't particularly care about punishing Pakistan. The BCCI is all powerful in world cricket and it was very obvious what was going to happen in both the Asia and World Cup so who cares about these minor antics. I was just commenting on the Sports Minister throwing the BCCI under the bus when it's obvious it's a government decision on the travel.

There's a protocol.

The BCCI will write to sports ministry that there's a ICC event in Pakistan and that they are willing to participate if given security and other clearance by GoI.

The sports ministry will forward the letter to the ministry of external affairs and home.

They will decide if Indian team can travel to Pakistan.

ICC pitch consultant Andy Atkinson is arriving in Pakistan tonight on a 4-day visit to inspect venues for the 2025 Champions Trophy.

According to sources, Andy Atkinson will visit three venues, starting from Karachi to inspect playing facilities. After Karachi, he will also visit Lahore and Rawalpindi.

ICC pitch consultant Andy Atkinson is arriving in Pakistan tonight on a 4-day visit to inspect venues for the 2025 Champions Trophy.

According to sources, Andy Atkinson will visit three venues, starting from Karachi to inspect playing facilities. After Karachi, he will also visit Lahore and Rawalpindi.
ICC officlais are keep visiting pakistan for pre checks as the Champions Trophy is going to be held on Mars this time. :ROFLMAO:

ICC officlais are keep visiting pakistan for pre checks as the Champions Trophy is going to be held on Mars this time. :ROFLMAO:
This is pretty much normal procedure and gives more validity to the tournament happening in Pakistan.

Karachi has been poor with filling the stadiums recently. I am not sure why PCB selected Karachi again. PCB might be arranging more games at that venue as well. Let's see.

So Naqvi Sahab is still hopeful for no hybrid model.

----------------

Mohsin Naqvi, PCB chairman, speaking during a media talk at the National Bank Stadium, Karachi:

“We will announce the squad for the England T20I series tomorrow,”

“We have sent the schedule [of the Champions Trophy] to the ICC, all eight teams will come. There is no reason as to why India would refuse to come,”

“If they [India] are doing propaganda, why aren’t you doing as well?”

“We are not thinking of a hybrid model, there is no talk of the sort,”​

As per some reports Pakistan Cricket Board has proposed Lahore as the venue for the highly-anticipated India-Pakistan clash! 🏟️🇵🇰🇮🇳🏏

Pakistan cricket authorities have proposed to the International Cricket Council (ICC) that India's qualifying round matches during the Champions Trophy next year be scheduled exclusively in one city.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), set to host the 2025 edition of the prestigious tournament, has selected Karachi, Rawalpindi, and Lahore as the venues for the event, with Lahore hosting the final match.
This decision aims to streamline logistics and ensure efficient organisation while maximising the tournament's success. By concentrating India's matches in one city, the PCB seeks to enhance the overall experience for players, officials, and spectators alike.

Source: TOI

So Naqvi Sahab is still hopeful for no hybrid model.

----------------

Mohsin Naqvi, PCB chairman, speaking during a media talk at the National Bank Stadium, Karachi:

“We will announce the squad for the England T20I series tomorrow,”

“We have sent the schedule [of the Champions Trophy] to the ICC, all eight teams will come. There is no reason as to why India would refuse to come,”

“If they [India] are doing propaganda, why aren’t you doing as well?”

“We are not thinking of a hybrid model, there is no talk of the sort,”​
good stuff from Naqvi. This is an ICC sanctioned event and Pakistan is the host. Pcb will make all the necessary arrangements and the Indian team is expected to show up just like any other team.

As per some reports Pakistan Cricket Board has proposed Lahore as the venue for the highly-anticipated India-Pakistan clash! 🏟️🇵🇰🇮🇳🏏
Ufff, it will be electric. Lahore has the best crowd in Pakistan. Liveliest people, had the best time of my life there! I really hope and pray i get to see it in Lahore live!

PCB has earmarked Lahore as the sole venue for the India games for next year's Champions Trophy .The thinking is that with Lahore being the border city, it will allow the fans to cross through the Wagah to watch their side play without much difficulty. Also, the organizers wanted to ensure that the Indian team will not have to travel or cris-cross the venues to play the matches.

I can imagine the India-Pakistan match in Lahore to have insanely high ticket prices, i am glad the Interior Minister/PCB Chairman has already pre-emptively identified and struck out a allegedly corrupt individual who was working as PCB's ticketing head.

Ufff, it will be electric. Lahore has the best crowd in Pakistan. Liveliest people, had the best time of my life there! I really hope and pray i get to see it in Lahore live!
Absolutely. I had the privilege of watching a Pak India ODI in Lahore in 2006, the Hutch Cup. Shoaib Malik scored a century but sadly we lost. Regardless it was a surreal experience, with lots of Indians in attendance as well.

PCB has earmarked Lahore as the sole venue for the India games for next year's Champions Trophy .The thinking is that with Lahore being the border city, it will allow the fans to cross through the Wagah to watch their side play without much difficulty. Also, the organizers wanted to ensure that the Indian team will not have to travel or cris-cross the venues to play the matches.
Love to see PCB doing this, the antithesis of BCCI. Lets make sure the visa processing is super smooth. Life too small to live it obsessed on hatred. Thats my message to some of my friends from other side of the border.

Love to see PCB doing this, the antithesis of BCCI. Lets make sure the visa processing is super smooth. Life too small to live it obsessed on hatred. Thats my message to some of my friends from other side of the border.
Save this message for your own establishment. Will be more useful to get them to accept it first ☺️

After 28 years PCB will be hosting a global cricket tournament and sadly seeing the condition of stadiums it seems we are still stuck in stone age even PSL with 9 seasons have not been the cash cow whi was expected

PCB must not fall into the BCCI Trap. As per past behavior the BCCI is staying silent and giving the impression that since this is an ICC event, they will plead with the government to allow them to come to Pakistan but they actually have no intentions and just want to catch the PCB off guard at the last minute where they will finally show their muscle, power and point blank tell the ICC that they do not want to come to Pakistan and to even take the ICC event out of Pakistan. The PCB must work on the Hybrid model now where they will host all the other teams in Pakistan whereas India can play their games in the UAE, work on the plan now, don't leave it to the end where the PCB and the broadcasters will not have any time to make adjustments, the BCCI knows full well all the other ICC member states will not want to upset the BCCI and they will try to pressurize the PCB into bowing in front of the ICC, BCCI and for the ICC event to be taken out of Pakistan. End result humiliation and bezzati of the PCB by the BCCI once again.

Mohsin Naqvi saab please be street smart and practical and learn from past BCCI tactics against Pakistan, please plan for the Hybrid model now in advance.

How much money will the PCB stand to earn from hosting the ICC event?

PCB must not fall into the BCCI Trap. As per past behavior the BCCI is staying silent and giving the impression that since this is an ICC event, they will plead with the government to allow them to come to Pakistan but they actually have no intentions and just want to catch the PCB off guard at the last minute where they will finally show their muscle, power and point blank tell the ICC that they do not want to come to Pakistan and to even take the ICC event out of Pakistan. The PCB must work on the Hybrid model now where they will host all the other teams in Pakistan whereas India can play their games in the UAE, work on the plan now, don't leave it to the end where the PCB and the broadcasters will not have any time to make adjustments, the BCCI knows full well all the other ICC member states will not want to upset the BCCI and they will try to pressurize the PCB into bowing in front of the ICC, BCCI and for the ICC event to be taken out of Pakistan. End result humiliation and bezzati of the PCB by the BCCI once again.

Mohsin Naqvi saab please be street smart and practical and learn from past BCCI tactics against Pakistan, please plan for the Hybrid model now in advance.
If ICC forces PCB's hand we should refuse to hold the tournament. Self respect goes a long way than money. I am okay with Pakistan cricket getting shut down over bending in front of unfair practises.

If ICC forces PCB's hand we should refuse to hold the tournament. Self respect goes a long way than money. I am okay with Pakistan cricket getting shut down over bending in front of unfair practises.

This is not easy or practical. The ICC has increased PCB's annual ICC share from $16 million to $34 million per annum and bought it in line with Cricket Australia and Englands share i.e. $37-38 million. That money is vital for Pakistan Cricket when it comes to the PSL, Player development programs, academies, stadium and infrastructure development. The PCB cannot find alternative compensation from other sources, the poor state of the Pakistani economy has now reduced the broadcast and sponsorship income.

Brother Slim, I respect your enthusiasm, however we have to politely decline. India vs Pakistan CT 2025 will be played in Dubai as BCCI will not send its team to Pakistan, I would have loved to be played on the flat deck in Lahore but unfortunately 2025 is not the year for that clash.

How much money will the PCB stand to earn from hosting the ICC event?
its more than just earning the money for PCB, these internationlal events bring lot of other oportunities as well to boost the economy of the country.

Brother Slim, I respect your enthusiasm, however we have to politely decline. India vs Pakistan CT 2025 will be played in Dubai as BCCI will not send its team to Pakistan, I would have loved to be played on the flat deck in Lahore but unfortunately 2025 is not the year for that clash.

BCCI should decline now when there is 8 months before the CT rather than sit silent and pretend that they are working with the Indian government to travel to Pakistan.

Pakistan needs to force the ICC hand or Indians hand before the world cup fixture in NY.

That should be the priority for the PCB regime.

A decision needs to be made quickly.

I actually think it will go ahead, 3 group stage games + potentially SF and Final. 5 days of cricket, they can travel from India through the border crossing on match day.

I actually think it will go ahead, 3 group stage games + potentially SF and Final. 5 days of cricket, they can travel from India through the border crossing on match day.

I can't see it happening. There is no point for Pakistan to fight it either. Just the sooner they succumb, the sooner the schedule can be figured out.

BCCI should decline now when there is 8 months before the CT rather than sit silent and pretend that they are working with the Indian government to travel to Pakistan.

I was just joking with @Slim man. I would love Indian team to visit Pakistan to play the CT. It has been too long I have seen Indian team plays in Pakistan soil and would want to see likes of Kohli/Rohit play in Pakistan at least once before they retires.

I was just joking with @Slim man. I would love Indian team to visit Pakistan to play the CT. It has been too long I have seen Indian team plays in Pakistan soil and would want to see likes of Kohli/Rohit play in Pakistan at least once before they retires.

Haha as a Pakistani, i don't want India to visit. They will humiliate us at home :ROFLMAO:

Back