Was Muttiah Muralitharan a chucker?

Juggernaut

First Class Captain
Runs
Its the age old question. As old as time itself.

Yes
No
Maybe

My personal opinion is No. I think the arm brace test he underwent proved this. The guy was literally born with an arm that bends outward at the elbow. That's the reason he gets the ball to spin on any surface and that's the reason it looks like he chucks.

I'd love to see someone convince me otherwise. :D

Also do people criticise him because he's Sri Lankan? I mean to say that if he was born in Pakistan alot of us would defend him to death even if he was proved to be a chucker. All of the Aussie's I know at Uni think he's a chucker mostly because it takes the shine of Warne's achievements and his claim as the greatest spin bowler ever.

Anyway what do PPer's think and more importantly why?

Juggernaut said:
Its the age old question. As old as time itself.

Yes
No
Maybe
Yes.
Juggernaut said:
My personal opinion is No. I think the arm brace test he underwent proved this. The guy was literally born with an arm that bends outward at the elbow. That's the reason he gets the ball to spin on any surface and that's the reason it looks like he chucks.

I'd love to see someone convince me otherwise. :D
He is smart enough not to bowl during the biomechanic tests the way he bowls in real matches.

Being born with a deformity shouldn't be an excuse. If somebody wants to be a pilot but was born with a vision disorder, that's too bad but he can't be allowed to fly planes.
Juggernaut said:
Also do people criticise him because he's Sri Lankan? I mean to say that if he was born in Pakistan alot of us would defend him to death even if he was proved to be a chucker.
If he was a Pakistani, his career would have been over long long ago so it doesn't really matter whether anybody supported him or not.
Juggernaut said:
All of the Aussie's I know at Uni think he's a chucker mostly because it takes the shine of Warne's achievements and his claim as the greatest spin bowler ever.
Warne is the greatest spin bowler ever, and Murali doesn't even come close to taking shine off Warne's achievements.

I would rate Warne as the best ever spin bowler to bowl with a legal action.

Supersport in South Africa showed in slow motion the action of Saqlain bowling the Doosra and Johan Botha bowling the doosra and from the few videos they showed us it seems like Saqlain bent his arm more than Botha. But than again that was a South African program trying to defend Botha and they may have been very selective of the videos they used

Last edited:
The theory of ''bowl legally in the testing '' is applicable to all suspected chuckers.Simply not just Murli some of them really look dodgy in matches,optical illusion or not.

And rules are not something which we can flex according to our favourites. :akhtar

As for Murli,yes he chucks his doosra.That looks quite blatant,rest not so sure.

Last edited:
Momo said:
Being born with a deformity shouldn't be an excuse. If somebody wants to be a pilot but was born with a vision disorder, that's too bad but he can't be allowed to fly planes.
Bishen Singh Bedi ka dialogue copy kiya na aapne ? :D

Some of his deliveries he chucks. Some of his deliveries he doesnt.

Some of his wickets have been taken with an illegal action, some of his wickets have been taken with a legal action.

If he was a Pakistani, his career would have been over long long ago so it doesn't really matter whether anybody supported him or not.

So no Pakistani with physocal abnormalities played the game,hmm...

As for the original question, yes I do believe Murali is a chucker, a blatant one. I don't care about deformities. What if the bones of my leg are sensitive and can't take impact, will I be allowed to play soccer with my hands ?

Of course he is a chuker.Like I said before, there are a few of them going around nowadays, but murli just takes it to a whole new level.

I agree with this deformity part, thats not an excuse.

No.

Warne + all other past, present and future spinners combined can't even tie Murali's one shoe.

Ok so if Murali is a chucker how has he been able to get away with it for more than a decade? Also as far as the bio mechanical tests go he was still able to bowl an effective offspinner and doosra even with the brace on.

And guy's don't get me wrong my opinion on Murali isn't a fanatical one. Like I said I wouldn't defend him if there was conclusive proof to suggest otherwise.

Also Momo why would his career be over before it began if he was Pakistani?

And as for the deformity. Thats in his arm. The part of the body he uses to bowl. Someone gave an example that if they had weak bones in the legs they wouldn't play football with their hands. But I don't understand how thats a valid example? :13:

Momo said:
Do you think, it is unfair to the fellow bowlers who don't have "advantage" of bowling with 15+ degree bend - like Murali does
or
do you think it is unfair to batsmen who have to face a ball which is more likely to get them out than others.
or both?

Momo said:
100% agree. Shabbir Ahmad is nowhere to be seen.

Shoaib Akhtar on the other hand was given green signal based on "deformity" -- thanks to Dalmia.

Last edited:
Gabbar Singh said:
Some of his deliveries he chucks. Some of his deliveries he doesnt.

Some of his wickets have been taken with an illegal action, some of his wickets have been taken with a legal action.

isnt that worse , cos it means hes quite capable of bowling legally .

hes a cheat

Khalil said:
Supersport in South Africa showed in slow motion the action of Saqlain bowling the Doosra and Johan Botha bowling the doosra and from the few videos they showed us it seems like Saqlain bent his arm more than Botha. But than again that was a South African program trying to defend Botha and they may have been very selective of the videos they used
Eh?? Serious? I would like to see a video of Saqi "chucking". :saqi

siddharth said:
Point noted.

:))
Intentionally put it there to see how long it will take, for some friend like you to jump on it. Didn't have to wait very long.

Some how a little predictable. ;-)

Once you look at the following video you can clearly see that he can clearly bowl with a perfectly legal action without even having to possibly exceed 10 degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UUXgc1rLMQ

This begs the question is it really a deformity that prevents him from bowling with the legal action?

siddharth said:
You didn't have to "prove" that what I said was correct.

Now, if Shaoib was playing for Indian then off course no tests would have been done and nobody would objected to his actions. For example;

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/220178.html

Raj Singh Dungarpur also came down severely on Harbhajan Singh's statement yesterday supporting his captain. "He should concentrate on his arm, rather than talk about whether Ganguly is right or wrong," he said. "Once a chucker always a chucker," was his verdict on Harbhajan, who recently crossed the 200-wicket mark in Test cricket.

6odlpap.jpg

Murali eats Warne for sehri and iftar. Chicken Warnoid has no where to hide his shame. Cries facing the wall in a dark room. :))

Ive got to say warne is the greatest

Murali im afraid is a chucker

JeeraBlade said:
You didn't have to "prove" that what I said was correct.

Now, if Shaoib was playing for Indian then off course no tests would have been done and nobody would objected to his actions. For example;

6odlpap.jpg
Bhajji is a chucker,who said he is not?Basically his doosra.Why don't you guys just complain to ICC ;-)

Last edited:
I dont believe people are comparing warne to murli. Warne didnt have any deformities, that he used to his advantage to get off the hook. In fact, both saqi and wane were better than murli

May be even the greatest batsman of all time Viv, King, THE MAN, Richards would lower his gaze had he faced Murali. :) No one can stare at his almost popped out eyes. No one dares!! Cricket was created for Murali. Millions, no zillions of wickets. No one can touch his records. And if test gets abolished he will be iconed forever.... Yes, the media hates him cause his color is not white. :D

Fat boy!! Go play poker or T20. IPL and you go hand in hand.

What sets Murli apart from other chuckers is he always wear short sleeves wheras other chuckers usually wear long sleeves and 2/3rd ones.

BD-fan said:
May be even the greatest batsman of all time Viv, King, THE MAN, Richards would lower his gaze had he faced Murali. :) No one can stare at his almost popped out eyes. No one dares!! Cricket was created for Murali. Millions, no zillions of wickets. No one can touch his records. And if test gets abolished he will be iconed forever.... Yes, the media hates him cause his color is not white. :D

Fat boy!! Go play poker or T20. IPL and you go hand in hand.

BD-fan said:
Murali eats Warne for sehri and iftar. Chicken Warnoid has no where to hide his shame. Cries facing the wall in a dark room. :))

BD-Fan please keep you're personal grudge against Warne at home. You're abusing one of the greatest bowlers in the history of cricket. You're belittling a true champion because you dislike the guy. If you have nothing constructive to say on the matter then just stay away from this thread. :)

Second of all this I made this thread not to ask who is better between Warne or Murali but to ask whether Murali is a chucker or not. I think Warne is a great bowler before anyone thinks otherwise.

Also as far as Murali's arm is concerned the argument is that when he bowls his doosra because of that arm being bent outwards it looks as if he chucks. So the whole point being made that if he can bowl legally why does he use his unusual arm to chuck isn't valid.

Last edited:
He should be tested in match situation, he is a controversial figure poor guy works hard to prove people wrong time & time again, if Abdul Qadir was an Australian he would have taken more wickets than Warne, he would have taken lesser if he was English

Dear Juggernaut,
Your muscles scare me (Avatar).
+++
Yes, I will keep Warnoid out of discussion.
+++
Why do you ask the original question? You can't trust ICC? Or there is an alternative motives? Rules are there. Code enforcers are there. They are doing their job. Does matter what Darrel Hair says.

Muttaiah Muralitharan is the greatest bowler to walk the earth. Those who still bring out these chucking theories about the great man are just sore losers. All of you in this forum and anybody who comments about cricket in general know very little about flexing the bowling arm during delivery compared to the bio mechanical experts who conducted the tests in Australia. And they have tested him in every possible way technology has permitted them; and the conclusion, Murali has e a clean action. What more can he do? He doesn’t have one version for the lab tests and another for the playing field. He doesn’t occasionally ‘chuck’ one in out of frustration, I’ve seen him bowl very long spells without success at times and he doesn’t always take wickets. He’s one of the most dignified players in the game of cricket and would never do that.

So please refrain from these dumb theories and enjoy the spectacle, the great gift of nature what Murali is during these last few months of his wonderful career.

JeeraBlade said:
Lets see how many Indian fans agree with you. :)

Corrected. ;-)

We Indians agree that Bajji chucks and it is clearly evident when he bowls his faster ones. Murali is a very nice person but it does not hide the fact that he is the most blatent chucker in the world. Warne is in my opinion greatest spinner in the world, no matter how many wickets Murali takes.

Last edited:
BD-fan said:
Dear Juggernaut,
Your muscles scare me (Avatar).
+++
Yes, I will keep Warnoid out of discussion.
+++
Why do you ask the original question? You can't trust ICC? Or there is an alternative motives? Rules are there. Code enforcers are there. They are doing their job. Does matter what Darrel Hair says.

BD please read my earlier posts on the topic before asking what my motives are for asking the question. :)

As I said I'm not one of those Murali fan's who won't accept that he's a chucker even if they were to come out with conclusive proof that he is.
Neither am I a Murali hater who just won't accept he isn't chucker. I'm very open about both sets of opinion.

As I said my personal opinion is that Murali is not a chucker. The reason I created this thread was to see what other people thought. I also wanted to see if anyone could convince me otherwise just in case I'd missed something. But unfortunately that hasn't been the case.

Therefore, I maintain my earlier stance: Murali isn't a chucker. Simples. :D

Yes I think he's a chucker, regardless of his arm condition and the retarded bending of 15 degrees allowance by ICC.. he chucks, no ifs and buts..

By all accounts, he is well respected by his colleagues and opponents and they comment on the dignity he shows when faced with adversity.

However, his action is one of the most diabolical and should never have been allowed by the ICC. It is also blatantly obvious that he puts additional 'effort' onto certain balls.

Before anyone accuses me of some kind of non-Pakistani bias, i am the first to acknowledge that Shabbir Ahmed had an atrocious action but deserves to play on the basis that Murali continued plying his trade.

I don't think he chucks. A few of his deliveries might be pushing it, but it is not intentional and there are many many bowlers around in world cricket who probably push the limits with their effort deliveries

Its an optical illusion
LionHeart said:
Muttaiah Muralitharan is the greatest bowler to walk the earth. Those who still bring out these chucking theories about the great man are just sore losers. All of you in this forum and anybody who comments about cricket in general know very little about flexing the bowling arm during delivery compared to the bio mechanical experts who conducted the tests in Australia. And they have tested him in every possible way technology has permitted them; and the conclusion, Murali has e a clean action. What more can he do? He doesn’t have one version for the lab tests and another for the playing field. He doesn’t occasionally ‘chuck’ one in out of frustration, I’ve seen him bowl very long spells without success at times and he doesn’t always take wickets. He’s one of the most dignified players in the game of cricket and would never do that.

So please refrain from these dumb theories and enjoy the spectacle, the great gift of nature what Murali is during these last few months of his wonderful career.

Agree, if hes been cleared ppl shouldn't keep labeling him a chucker. If hes a chucker so is Shoaib Akthar, and i used to be a big fan of his.

BTW at least Murali does not hide his action with a long sleeve unlike Chuckrabhan ;-)

I think he is a chucker, can someone make this into a poll? It would be very interesting to see how a poll here on PP would turnout on this matter.

Definitely a chucker. Whether you wish to believe it or not you can always modify your action in a test because YOU KNOW YOU ARE BEING TESTED.

@Lionheart

We may not know as much as the testers but I do know that the situation in which any bowler is tested in labs is NOT A MATCH SITUATION. There are tons of clear chuckers that have gotten away thanks to these tests. There must be a way to randomly test during a match situation to fully determine whether or not someone is chucking. Murali's doosra is one of the most atrociously illegal deliveries I have ever seen and the fact that he can bowl with a legal action (See the Murali leg spin video) only serves to prove that he is a cheater on top of being a chucker as well

List of current chuckers imo:

- Murali (Doosra)
- Shoaib Akhtar
- Johan Botha
- Harbhajan
- Saeed Ajmal (doosra)

Last edited:
Shoaib Akhtar's Fan said:
Are you trying to reason why Indian team refused to abide by Wada's laws ?

Son, first let your beloved country produce a proper fast bowler and then talk. You have fagg*ts in the name of bowlers, who cry in the middle of the field when slapped by their own team-mates. Sabzi Eaters !!
Edited.

Last edited:
LionHeart said:

This is one of the biggest loads of rubbish I have read on here, congratulations. :D

To the OP, yes he chucks the ball, he chucks every ball but he throws the doosra more. I recall an unnamed cricketer explaining that was how to pick the doosra, look for the one he really throws instead of just throws.

And what exactly does Warne have to do with it? Warne was a leg spinner what is the relevance to this offspinner?

The_Cricket_Devil said:
Definitely a chucker. Whether you wish to believe it or not you can always modify your action in a test because YOU KNOW YOU ARE BEING TESTED.

@Lionheart

We may not know as much as the testers but I do know that the situation in which any bowler is tested in labs is NOT A MATCH SITUATION. There are tons of clear chuckers that have gotten away thanks to these tests. There must be a way to randomly test during a match situation to fully determine whether or not someone is chucking. Murali's doosra is one of the most atrociously illegal deliveries I have ever seen and the fact that he can bowl with a legal action (See the Murali leg spin video) only serves to prove that he is a cheater on top of being a chucker as well

List of current chuckers imo:

- Murali (Doosra)
- Shoaib Akhtar
- Johan Botha
- Harbhajan
- Saeed Ajmal (doosra)

Great post coming from a Pakistani. :14:

Last edited:
Murali has one of the most beautiful bowling actions in cricket.

It truly is a sight to behold.

Last edited:
Disco_Lemonade said:
ajmal chucks?????????????????????????????????? when did that happen?

Thats what I was thinking. His action seems fine to me.

Bublu Bhuyan said:
Bishen Singh Bedi ka dialogue copy kiya na aapne ? :D
Bishen chaacha is the King Singh! :)

Last edited:
This is ridiculous.

Let's see the facts.

Based on what do most of the guys here say he's a chucker? Because he LOOKS like chucking. So your eyes are adopted to see, in an instant, whether he chucks or not, whether he exceeds 15 degrees? Gimme a break.

Second, about the deformity. If he doesnt exceed the limit why the **** shouldnt he be allowed to bowl. I didnt hear any of this nonsense when Shoaib is called, and when it was proved HE had a deformity. Biased much? Now I do LOVE Shoaib's bowling, his character and the excitment he brings to the game. But going by your standards, I'd have to call him a chucker. And while we're at it, why not call Asif, Gul, McGrath, Lee, and all the others chuckers as well? Maybe you don't see them as chucking, but someone else might. Now it's all your reasoning for calling him a chucker right? Because it looks like hes chucking?

Then, about testing him in match conditions. Fine, I'm sure Murali would love nothing but to prove him innocent. But let's check EVERYONE, not just him. Fair's fair right?

Also, actually in case you didn't know or too ignorant to mention, ICC did in fact conduct such testing during 2004 ICC Champions Trophy where they found out EVERYONE EXCEPT SARWAN exceeded the then allowed limit. Back tehn the limits were, 5, 7.5 and 10 degrees for spinners, medium pacers and fast bowlers respectively. Back then, everyone exceeded those limits except Sarwan. Now how the hell is only Murali a chucker? Everyone was a chucker! That is why the ICC changed the rule to accomodate everyone. If everyone was chucking there was no point changin it to accomodate a few right? So depending on that, and scientific research it was decided that limit should be 15 degrees for everyone.

Murali is and will always be a clean bowler. A respectable one at that too.

Can't you come up with anything once the reality of your cricket team is thrown in to your face ? Ki hoya baadshaho ?

Since you personally attacked my bowlers I tried to attack your idol personally.I realised I can't,because thats not just me.I won't get any peace of mind.So I edited.yes I accept my defeat in this discussion :)

Then, about testing him in match conditions. Fine, I'm sure Murali would love nothing but to prove him innocent. But let's check EVERYONE, not just him. Fair's fair right?

Absolutely fair and that should be the way,check every one or atleast those with suspected action.

Are you trying to reason why Indian team refused to abide by Wada's laws ?

Son, first let your beloved country produce a proper fast bowler and then talk. You have fagg*ts in the name of bowlers, who cry in the middle of the field when slapped by their own team-mates. Sabzi Eaters !!

Wow you crossed the line big time man.

No need to insult them like that while our bowlers are idiots themselves off the field. What's with the insult towards them eating "Sabzi"? Who cares what they eat that's their choice.

I agree they haven't produced good bowlers but it's unnecessary to write derogatory comments about them.

As for Murali yeah I agree he chucks but it's not his fault he's been given such freedom to do it. He has a problem with his arm and that's unfortunate but because of the ICC letting him get away with it he's gone on to become the greatest test bowler. Due to it not being his fault I give full credit to the man for making use of the advantage given to him. I am sure we wouldn't be able to pick up as many wickets with chucking or without as he has.

i am the first one to admit that shabbir chucked. also shoaib's action deteriorated for some time. His action at the start of his career , when he got Dravid and Tendulkar with those two balls, and also his action at the moment are ok.

But calling Ajmal's doosra a throw is not fair. His doosra is cleaner than Murali's or Harbhajan's normal balls.

No, he does not chuck.

The point is, what is a chuck? Essentially, a chuck is when the majority of the force when you delivery the ball comes from your lower arm, your elbow to your wrist. By this standard, Murali does not chuck as the majority of his force comes from his shoulder like a usual bowler, not his lower arm. He may have a bent arm, but that does not necessitate that the force comes from there and he throws the delivery.

If you are still not convinced, watch this video and it should prove it once and for all. The man is the greatest spinner of all time, let's get over this bowling action deal. As Slater puts it, "He's just a genius. And a one-off."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDxRhcpBZio

Last edited:
Sabzi Eaters !!
As much as I bash unreasonable cricket fans, this is totally uncalled for. I am sure you know, meat is prohibited by religious reasons.

What if somebody made fun of us for not eating pork?

By the way, your WADA comment was great. Say anything in cricketing terms but lets keep religion out of cricket forum since a lot of us are extremely sensitive to our religions.

Random Aussie said:
This is one of the biggest loads of rubbish I have read on here, congratulations. :D

To the OP, yes he chucks the ball, he chucks every ball but he throws the doosra more. I recall an unnamed cricketer explaining that was how to pick the doosra, look for the one he really throws instead of just throws.

And what exactly does Warne have to do with it? Warne was a leg spinner what is the relevance to this offspinner?

Ofcourse Warne has nothing to do with offspin bowling. But one of the points I was making is that some Aussies call Murali a chucker because it gives them peace of mind that Warne was the greatest spinner ever. Most Sri Lankans will tell you its Murali pointing out his stats and achievement etc.

Also one particular person on this forum was bashing Warnie just because of a personal grudge against. I was just reminding him that Warne is not the topic of discussion neither is the topic on who is better between Warne and Murali.

I dont think Murali chucks - he has gone through the necessary testing and has been cleared. If there is a problem here then it is with the testing procedure and not Murali

Juggernaut said:
Ofcourse Warne has nothing to do with offspin bowling. But one of the points I was making is that some Aussies call Murali a chucker because it gives them peace of mind that Warne was the greatest spinner ever. Most Sri Lankans will tell you its Murali pointing out his stats and achievement etc.

Also one particular person on this forum was bashing Warnie just because of a personal grudge against. I was just reminding him that Warne is not the topic of discussion neither is the topic on who is better between Warne and Murali.

Murali has been called a chucker by Australians ever since he first threw the ball in a match in Australia. This was a long long time before he became a record breaking spinner and a long long time before there were any comparisons between the two.

Further to this (and my post is not really aimed at you Jugs just in general) Murali is pathetic in Australia averaging somewhere above 50 runs per wicket. I doubt many Australians would have insecurity about him being superior to Warne. And if they do - well they should learn to get over it.

Random Aussie said:
Murali has been called a chucker by Australians ever since he first threw the ball in a match in Australia. This was a long long time before he became a record breaking spinner and a long long time before there were any comparisons between the two.

Further to this (and my post is not really aimed at you Jugs just in general) Murali is pathetic in Australia averaging somewhere above 50 runs per wicket. I doubt many Australians would have insecurity about him being superior to Warne. And if they do - well they should learn to get over it.

Thats cos Australians* are divvy's :D

*except Michael Slater who is spot on in saying Murali doesnt chuck

Random Aussie said:

I like how you put in "First threw the ball" it added to the post. :)))

Although I agree with you that this has nothing to do with how he's played in Australia. Still I don't understand why Murali is targeted. I believe that the ICC should be condemned for allowing such freedom with the chucking.

Yall gotta admit, Darrell Hair giving the no ball to Muralis deliveries pretty funny

The One said:
Also, actually in case you didn't know or too ignorant to mention, ICC did in fact conduct such testing during 2004 ICC Champions Trophy where they found out EVERYONE EXCEPT SARWAN exceeded the then allowed limit. Back tehn the limits were, 5, 7.5 and 10 degrees for spinners, medium pacers and fast bowlers respectively. Back then, everyone exceeded those limits except Sarwan. Now how the hell is only Murali a chucker? Everyone was a chucker! That is why the ICC changed the rule to accomodate everyone. If everyone was chucking there was no point changin it to accomodate a few right? So depending on that, and scientific research it was decided that limit should be 15 degrees for everyone.
subshakerz said:
[size=+2]Does anybody have a counter reply for these?[/size]

P.S.: I'm a neutral, and am very interested in this discussion. The above two posts were pretty convincing for me.

LG said:
[size=+2]Does anybody have a counter reply for these?[/size]

P.S.: I'm a neutral, and am very interested in this discussion. The above two posts were pretty convincing for me.

Yes he bends his elbow more than 15 degrees. Intentionally and when he needs do during a match to get more spin.

He was clocked at 14.6 degrees in testing, you think he does not go that extra 0.4 during a match and therefore chucks?

Last edited:
Back