West Indies [130/2 in 10.5 overs] beat Bangladesh [129] by eight wickets in the first T20I

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Bangladesh have won the toss and chosen to bat first

West Indies XI: 1 Evin Lewis, 2 Shai Hope, 3 Shimron Hetmyer, 4 Darren Bravo, 5 Nicholas Pooran (wk), 6 Rovman Powell, 7 Carlos Brathwaite (capt), 8 Fabian Allen, 9 Keemo Paul, 10 Sheldon Cottrell, 11 Oshane Thomas

Bangladesh XI: 1 Liton Das, 2 Tamim Iqbal, 3 Soumya Sarkar, 4 Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), 5 Shakib Al Hasan (capt), 6 Mahmudullah, 7 Ariful Haque, 8 Mohammad Saifuddin, 9 Mehidy Hasan Miraz, 10 Abu Hider, 11 Mustafizur Rahman

Why are they playing a T20 at noon time? Never seen this in sub continent. Is this to ensure WI viewers can watch?

Tamim, Soumya and liton was never T20 material. They should be out of the T20 team.

Bangladesh are 96/5 * (13.2/20 ov) in the 1st T20I against West Indies; 3/20 for Cottrell with Shakib Al Hasan on 44*

Hope stars again as West Indies take first T20I against Bangladesh

Shai Hope smashed a record half-century and Sheldon Cottrell claimed four wickets as West Indies surged to an eight-wicket win in the first T20I over Bangladesh.

Bangladesh won the toss and elected to bat, but their innings got off to a disastrous start with all of their top three falling for single figure scores in similar fashion. Each of Tamim Iqbal, Liton Das, and Soumya Sarkar top-edged pull shots and were caught, with two falling to Cottrell, and one to Oshane Thomas.

Mushfiqur Rahim was then run out to further the home side’s plight, but Shakib Al Hasan helped repair the early damage, striking a 43-ball 61. He displayed a fluency far outstripping his team-mates, striking 10 boundaries compared to just seven managed by the rest of Bangladesh’s batsmen combined.

He did however receive solid support from Mahmudullah and Ariful Haque, who each reached double figures and helped Bangladesh past three figures. With Shakib still at the crease, the Asian side might have hoped to reach 150, but when he fell – the fourth to fall to the short ball, and the fourth to Cottrell - Bangladesh subsided soon after for 129 in 19 overs.

Still, even 150 would likely have been far from adequate considering Shai Hope’s blistering form. It’s rare that Evin Lewis, who made 18 on his T20I return, is reduced to a supporting role, but this time he was, and by the time he holed out to long-on, West Indies already had 51 on the board.

Hope powered on to a 16-ball half-century, the fastest by a West Indian in men’s T20Is, smashing six sixes and three fours on his way to the landmark. Windies had made 91/1 from the powerplay, the joint highest total from the opening six overs of a T20I. He fell soon after but the back of the chase had been broken, and Keemo Paul and Nicholas Pooran saw West Indies home with more than nine overs remaining.

The series continues on 20 December at Dhaka.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/946947

Last edited by a moderator:
BD should seriously try to figure out what is really going wrong for them in T20 .

SYLHET, Bangladesh- The WINDIES demolished Bangladesh by 5 wickets to win the First T20 International at the Sylhet International Cricket Stadium and take a 1-0 lead in the 3-match series.

Bangladesh won the toss and elected to bat first. The only valuable contributions of their innings came from their skipper Shakib Al Hasan who top-scored with 61 runs, 17 from Ariful Haque and 12 from Mahmudullah. Bangladesh were stifled by accurate lines and sheer pace from the WINDIES bowling attack.

Returning left-arm pacer Sheldon Cottrell started the destruction of the Bangladesh batting line-up when Tamim mistimed a hook shot and was caught by Carlos Brathwaite for 5. The WINDIES went with a pace attack reminiscent of the quartet from the 80s. Liton Das fell in similar fashion off Oshane Thomas. Cottrell returned from the other end and accounted for Soumya Sarkar for 5. Rovman Powell with a piece of brilliant fielding, charged in for a quick pick-up and release to run-out Mushfiqur Rahim for 5.

The Bangladesh batsman were never allowed to settle. Shakib was the only batsman to use deft strokes and the pace of deliveries to get another half-century. Keemo Paul was introduced for a late spell and racked up the last two Bangladesh wickets. Sheldon Cottrell was the pick of the WINDIES bowlers, he finished with figures of 4/28, Keemo Paul finished with 2/23, as Bangladesh were all out for 129 in 19 overs.

With a target of 130 from 20 overs, Evin Lewis returned to the WINDIES line-up to open with Shai Hope. The onslaught from the WINDIES batsmen was almost immediate as they swung freely. Lewis showed a return to form belting 1-four and 1-six on his way to 18 before he was caught in the deep going for another big shot. Shai Hope picked up right where he left off from the ODI series for which he was Player of the Series. He smashed Mehidy Hasan Miraz for 3-sixes in one over. At the end of the powerplay, the WINDIES had 91 runs on the scoreboard.

Hope raced to a 16-ball 50, the third fastest in T20 history and the fastest by a West Indian player. He struck 3-fours and 6-sixes on his way to 55 but looking to take the WINDIES to victory as quick as possible, he holed out in the deep to Mustafizur Rahman off Mahmudullah. Nicholas Pooran was joined by Keemo Paul and the pair continued the run-fest to the target. The Bangladesh bowlers had no comebacks for the punishment from the WINDIES batsmen. Paul, playing his free-flowing cricket, swung his bat in 11th over, connecting, to send Shakib Al Hasan for 2-sixes and 1-four to seal the win for the WINDIES, with 55 balls to spare and 8 wickets in hand.

Sheldon Cottrell was Player of the Match.

First of all I will say that I was surprised the match started early. I just assumed it would be a day night game so when I woke up and found the game was already over I was a little bit shocked. As for the result, great performance by West Indies, this Shai Hope is some player.

Congratulations West Indies, the better team won. Without Shakib Bangladesh would have scored less than 80

First of all I will say that I was surprised the match started early. I just assumed it would be a day night game so when I woke up and found the game was already over I was a little bit shocked. As for the result, great performance by West Indies, this Shai Hope is some player.

I heard (not sure) that there was some problem with the flood light in the stadium, that's why the organizers finished the match in day time.

Back