Will the PTI Government survive a vote of no confidence?

Will the PTI Government survive a vote of no confidence?

• Total voters
Imran Khan reaches the MQM office in Karachi to meet the MQM-P leaders, he once described as Nazis, fascists, terrorists and Indian intelligence agents because they propagated the ideology of secularism, social liberalism and called for an end to the persecution of minorities.

:shappy

They did not do what you said here,they were like that what khan said ,under Altaf.

This is the problem with Parliamentary democracy half the time goes off in securing votes(in house) and what not when will they work for the country!

Expressing confidence that Prime Minister Imran Khan and his government would emerge victorious once again from the "conspiracies" of the opposition, Information and Broadcasting Minister Fawad Chaudhry on Wednesday urged National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser to immediately convene a session on the no-trust vote.

The statement comes at a time when, a day earlier, the united opposition submitted a no-confidence motion against the chief executive of the country while pinning its hopes for the success of the motion on the estranged members of the ruling party and its allies.

The submission of the motion was followed by a press conference by the top leadership of the opposition parties, including PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif, JUI-F and PDM chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman and PPP co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari, who said that the days of the prime minister are "numbered and that no rhetoric could save him anymore".

However, the information minister, terming the move another conspiracy to derail Pakistan from economic prosperity, urging the speaker to call the session as soon as possible.

"We're requesting him [the NA speaker] to call the session as soon as possible so move past from this situation and focus on other more important matters," he said while addressing a news conference in Islamabad along with Energy Minister Hammad Azhar.

He said that the country cannot go through another crisis. "The opposition needs 172 votes but Imran Khan has the support of 179 MNAs but it is expected that five more would also vote for him [from the opposition's camp] which will bring the government's figure at 184," Fawad added.

He also urged the opposition to show their support to the media if they have the backing of 172 MNAs so that everyone can understand the position of both the government and the opposition.

"But instead, they [opposition] have open markets where they are trying to trade vote of MNAs... Few MNAs were telling the prime minister how they were offered Rs100 million for their votes," Fawad said.

Taking a firm stance against any possibility of talking with the opposition in future, he said that now the government will treat "suspects like they are supposed to be treated".

"Now, we're not going to talk with the opposition on any matter... we tried to convince them on EVMs and other matters as well but they do not deserve this respect... now we will treat them like suspects are meant to be treated," he added.

To a question about government allies, Fawad said that PM Imran had a meeting with the Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) today and had been in contact with Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) and all the allies will support the "stronger government".

"The situation is very well under control and it will become even more apparent in the next two days," he added.

On the occasion, Hammad expressed hope that the premier will emerge even stronger from the crisis as he had the people's support.

"You [opposition] should see behind whom the people are standing... now, Pakistan has a leader to whom the world listens," he added.

The federal energy minister said that the price of crude oil shot to $130 and now the US has also imposed sanctions on Russian oil imports, adding that the economic turmoil throughout the world is likely to continue.

Despite the Covid-19 pandemic and other global issues, he said, Pakistan's economy grew by 5.5%. "Pakistan has become a model state for the world as to how it emerged from the Covid crisis and other issues."

He said that despite constraints, the price of petroleum products was reduced by Rs10 and electricity by Rs5. "We are taking the economy of Pakistan fast forward but the opposition wants to create uncertainly."

https://tribune.com.pk/story/234715...ediately-convene-na-session-for-no-trust-vote

To answer the question in the op the answer is yes perhaps but IK might not. So there is a scenario that the opposition succeed in bringing ik down but fail to get one of their own nominated as pm. Thus creating a situation where we get early elections.

Or IK wins and then we move ahead. I suspect if he loses we will get early elections. I can't see what the point isn't Rule for a year. It's sounds like this move has been made in a hasty way and is to inflict a defeat on IK.

But the problem is he loves to have a moral cause. If he loses he becomes even more dangerous. A loose cannon who will rightfully claim being deprived of the chance to help the poor by choars.
It almost feels as if it's election time right now and I suspect we are headed that way.

But if he wins well then the toala better watch out..

Finally for the single individual who is happy with this I simply have a question what do you think the opposition will provide to the people of Pakistan that they haven't in 30years? What do you expect them to give you? Or is this just a tamasha for you to clap and hoot..

Prime Minister Imran Khan on Wednesday said his "gun" was now aimed at PPP co-chairperson Asif Ali Zardari who he said was his "next target".

The prime minister was addressing a rally in Karachi during a one-day visit to the city where he held a meeting with the leadership of Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan, an ally of his government in the Centre.

"Now my first target, who has been under my radar for a long time, is Asif Ali Zardari," the prime minister said.

The premier also accused the former president of using the "police and thugs to get people killed", engaging in theft and corruption and laundering money abroad.

"Asif Zardari your time is near," he warned the PPP leader.

The prime minister also said that Zardari had funds earmarked to force PTI members to switch loyalties. "One of my MNAs told me he was offered Rs200 million," he claimed.

He lashed out at the PPP co-chairperson for allegedly feigning sickness when he was summoned for hearings by the National Accountability Bureau in graft cases.

Turning his guns on other opposition leaders, the prime minister called PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif a "boot polisher", saying he came up with different excuses every other time in courts to get hearings extended.

"Your time has come as well. You know that after the next three months you will be behind the bars," the premier said.

He alleged that Shehbaz had laundered billions of rupees to his son living abroad, adding "I will further reduce electricity prices by retrieving money that Shehbaz's son and son-in-law looted from the national exchequer."

'I will not spare you,' Imran tells opposition

Talking about the opposition's no-confidence motion against him, PM Imran said he had actually been waiting for such a move, underlining that the no-trust move amounted to the opposition's "political death".

"I've been waging a struggle against these thieves for 25 years because I am fighting for my country."

He said he was busy for the past three-and-a-half-year in "stabilising the country amid various disruptions", warning the opposition that it should now brace for his response.

"I was thinking of somehow getting hold of their neck ... the God listened to my prayer and they submitted a no-trust move. Now they have been trapped and their no-confidence move is going to rebound on them."

He said his counter plan for the opposition was also "ready".

"When we hopefully win [against] the no-confidence motion, I won't stop. I will go after them (the opposition) and won't spare them. My hands which had been chained will now be untied," the PM thundered.

He alleged that his political rivals had bowed in front of every foreign power, criticising them for their silence on drone attacks during their respective tenures.

"These are the people who worship those gods where their money lies. They will never stand up for the country's interest against those countries where their stolen money lies."

The premier said that Pakistan should pursue friendships with every country and wasn't against anyone but "I will never allow any country to take action against my nation's interests."

He rubbished criticism from the opposition for his criticism against the European Union (EU) in Mailsi on Sunday, saying that he had only pointed out the sacrifices made by Pakistan in the War on Terror.

The prime minister had lashed out at EU ambassadors who had issued a statement asking Pakistan to condemn Russia for Ukraine's invasion. The premier had questioned the bloc whether it wrote such a letter to India which violated UN Security Council resolutions and revoked the autonomous status of Occupied Kashmir.

'I am coming to tour interior Sindh'

The prime minister announced he was going to tour interior Sindh soon and that it was his mission to rid the region of the injustices done by the "Zardari mafia for the past 14 years".

He congratulated Karachiites for the Karachi Circular Railway project and said more effects of the development package for the city would be seen in the future.

He thanked the nation for paying the highest level of tax in the country's history to the government which he said empowered him to reduce burden on the people.

The premier said the country was on the right path, with "high exports, tax collection, remittances and crop yields".

'These are Imran Khan's last days,' says Shah
The prime minister's address drew strong reactions from opposition leaders, who said the premier's days were numbered.

When Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah was asked for his views on the speech, he said the premier had been threatening the opposition of consequences for quite a few days. "But do whatever you have to within the next four to five days. You will not get a chance [to do anything] after that," he added.

"These are Imran Khan's last days," he said while speaking to the media in Karachi. "Your (PM Imran) time is up, it is now our time to work for the people."

Aurangzeb says PM's body language ominous

PML-N Information Secretary Marriyum Aurangzeb said PM Imran's speech and body language today made it evident that the opposition's no-trust move would succeed.

"He spoke about others' (opposition's) political death, but his address made it apparent that his own political death is [imminent]," she said while speaking to the media in Islamabad.

Aurangzeb remarked that the premier's remarks were a sign that "his mental condition is not stable".

She said when the prime minister began speaking about his "targets", she believed he intended to shed light on the employment opportunities and housing he had promised to the people. "But he [instead] went on to level allegations against his political rivals."

"Your curses, threats and bullying will have no effect on the no-confidence motion," she said.

Aurangzeb rubbished the prime minister's allegation that the opposition's agitation against him was a part of a "foreign conspiracy".

"Was inflation a result of a foreign conspiracy?" she questioned, adding that the current political situation, where the PTI was losing the support of its allies, was, in fact, the result of the nation and the allies lacking confidence in the government.

'Is this how a prime minister speaks?' Ashraf asks

PPP leader Raja Pervaiz Ashraf criticised PM Imran over his "disrespectful language".

"The prime minister must be aware that ... if you disrespect someone, no one will respect you," he said at a press briefing in Islamabad, adding, "In what direction are you taking Pakistan's politics?"

Ashraf said the prime minister's criticism of PPP co-chairperson Zardari had aggrieved the party's workers and supporters, adding that the prime minister would draw "hate" from the supporters of any other parties for speaking about their leadership in a demeaning manner.

He particularly regretted PM Imran saying that his "gun" was now aimed at Zardari.

"Is this how a prime minister speaks?" Ashraf posed a rhetorical question.

DAWN

whether IK survive or not , Its a Trap for Opposition and they fall for it ....... Lol

Americans are paying good $ to politicians to vote against Imran Khan.

But I cant see him losing this because many will know if Ik stays and they are found it , it will be curtains for them. Imo it will only make the PM stronger.

While UK and Europe are going broke, Pakistan is being smart dealing with Russia. Pak is lucky to have IK, if they had a sellout buffoon such as Boris it would be like some poor nations in Africa by now.

this vote should be held open so we could know who sold their votes. no secret voting.

Americans are paying good $ to politicians to vote against Imran Khan.

But I cant see him losing this because many will know if Ik stays and they are found it , it will be curtains for them. Imo it will only make the PM stronger.

While UK and Europe are going broke, Pakistan is being smart dealing with Russia. Pak is lucky to have IK, if they had a sellout buffoon such as Boris it would be like some poor nations in Africa by now.

I hope you realize Europe and Uk are not going broke..South Asia cannot be compared to Western standards of living.

I hope you realize Europe and Uk are not going broke..South Asia cannot be compared to Western standards of living.

I live here, prices are higher than ever. People are spending less. If Crude reaches $200 + many businesses will collapse.

Uk is idiotic to causing self harm, while Pakistan is taking advantage of the situation.

Because this will make IK stronger at elections? Why is he issuing all this weird threats though?

Its politics, and a dirty one. IK knows it. Its rhetoric and all.
for no confidence motion, i did expect this from Nawaz and his daughter becoz they are dumb effs but i never thought Zardari was that stupid to fall for it, clearly it shows some people behind the stage have more sharp mind thn Zardari and his stooges ...... Lol

A day after the opposition submitted its no-trust motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan with the National Assembly Secretariat, the government has started crafting strategy on how to render the move unsuccessful.

The ruling PTI has decided that its disgruntled members will not be allowed to cast their no-confidence vote under Article 63-A of constitution.

The decision was taken in a meeting between National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser and senior leaders of the PTI at the Speaker House Islamabad.

The participants of the meeting discussed important matters including the current political situation, opposition’s no-confidence motion and summoning of the NA session.

In a bid to foil the move, the huddle decided that the government lawmakers would be advised not to attend the NA session on the day voting for the no-confidence motion takes place. It further deliberated that only Parliamentary Affairs Adviser Dr Babar Awan would be present in the house from the government’s side on the occasion.

The meeting decided that under Article 63-A the estranged members of the ruling party will not be allowed to cast their votes.

Read: No-trust motion: Defection clause in sharp focus

The PTI chairman will also write a letter to the NA speaker against members of the ruling party who come to parliament on the day of no-confidence voting, seeking their disqualification.

Meanwhile, parliamentary sources said that a notification would be issued by March 21 to summon the NA session.

The duration of opposition’s request to convene the lower house session within 14 days will complete on March 22, however, the session will be summoned by March 25, sources said.

Under the constitution, the NA speaker is bound to convene the assembly session within 14 days after the submission of the requisition notice.

The NA session on the first day will be adjourned without any proceedings due to the death of PTI MNA Khial Zaman Orakzai. The session cannot be adjourned for an indefinite period without bringing an end to the no-trust move.

The House is required to proceed within seven days after taking up the no-confidence motion on agenda.
Parliamentary sources noted that legal and parliamentary experts had started consultations with the NA speaker on the issue of no-confidence motion, adding that the session of the lower house would be convened in accordance with the rules and regulations of the House.

It was further said that the signatories to the no-trust motion would be verified and that the issue would continue till March 30 if the NA session is convened on March 21.

Parliamentary sources said that the proceedings of the no-confidence motion will not be held anywhere else other than in the lower house.

The matter of convening the assembly session within 14 days will be separated from the no-confidence voting process of seven days.

Minister for Interior Sheikh Rashid on Thursday seemed confident about the government’s ability to defeat the no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan, saying those Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) lawmakers who will cross the floor to vote against the premier will be disqualified by the speaker.

Speaking to reporters in Islamabad, the federal minister said the speaker has powers to disqualify lawmakers over possible defection.

At the time of the passage of the 18th Amendment, all political parties decided to give these powers to the speaker to stop horse-trading, Rashid claimed. “No one can challenge the ruling of the speaker,” he went on to add.

He said those PTI lawmakers who vote against Imran will face the wrath of the people as well as the political repercussions of their actions.

He further said those PTI lawmakers who sold their vote for money will also face “political encirclement” by the PTI workers. On the day of voting, all followers of Imran will gather outside the National Assembly to celebrate his victory, he added.

Read: Tareen group to boycott PTI’s Punjab parliamentary meeting

Speaking about the allies of the ruling party, the minister said he was sure that the Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) will stand with Imran Khan. Speaking about Pir Pagara, the head of the Pakistan Muslim League-Functional (PML-F), the minister said he has great relations with him. “I can only comment on these two people,” Rashid said, adding that he could not comment on the politics of Punjab.

According to the minister, the last week of March will be important. He claimed that the premier will defeat the no-trust move against him and the government will “make an April fool” out of the opposition.

Calling the PML-N, PPP and JUI-F “three rivals parties”, he said these parties joined hands against Imran for their “vested interests” and to evade “accountability”.

Speaking about the establishment’s reported neutrality, Rashid said the opposition is saying that the “umpire” is neutral in the move against Imran. The minister advised them to stick to these words after the result of the no-trust move.

He said the rally by the PPP Chairperson Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari was “disappointing”. He claimed the number of security personnel at the rally exceeded the number of participants.

In response to a question regarding PM Imran’s rants against the European Union, Rashid said former PM Zulfikar Ali Bhutto – who founded the PPP – used to rail against the imperial powers during his political gatherings. Bhutto used to put “foreign policy before the nation”, he said, adding that if Imran “put a policy statement” before the nation then he has seen Bhutto doing the same.

Read More: Fawad wants NA session convened soon

About criticism by the opposition over the remarks by the premier, he said the opposition thinks that the “imperial thinking is their thinking, but it is “not the thinking of the Pakistani people”. He said Pakistan was not part of any block as it wanted to have ties with all superpowers. Rashid said every Pakistani can feel proud as under the leadership of Imran the country has an independent foreign policy.

He said the premier will launch the e-passport facility later this month.

In response to a question, he said the police raid on the Korean embassy was embarrassing and apologised for the incident.

Seems like Buzdar (aka wasim akram plus, the best administrator Punjab has ever seen) will be sacrificed by IK to save his own chair.

Tareen group boycott PTI’s Punjab parliamentary meeting

LAHORE:
The disgruntled faction of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) – Tareen group – announced on Thursday that it would boycott the party’s parliamentary meeting in Punjab which would be held later today in Lahore.

According to Express, the meeting would be chaired by Prime Minister Imran Khan. The premier would reach the provincial capital today on a one-day visit.

On March 8, the estranged Tareen group said that it would support the government in the no-trust motion on the condition of removing Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar from his post.

It had further announced that it would boycott any parliamentary meeting of the party till CM Buzdar remains in office.

During today’s visit, PM Imran is also expected to meet Buzdar, who the Tareen group said was ‘not acceptable to them as the chief minister’.

Punjab Governor Chaudhry Muhammad Sarwar along with senior party ministers of Punjab would also call on the prime minister. The premier is also scheduled to meet members of the Parliament from all divisions of the province and minority members as well.

Earlier, Punjab MPA Malik Nauman Ahmad Langrial told the media that all members of the group had given full authority to Tareen to make any decision on their behalf.

“I want to highlight here that all members of the group are united on the strategy to move forward [to vote against the no-trust motion] if the government accepts the minus Buzdar formula,” Langrial added.
“All like-minded members of the group are willing to accept the decision made by Tareen.”

He indicated that they were in contact with different political parties as the group had a majority after two big political parties in the House. “We are updating Tareen about the current political developments in the country and will accept whatever decision is made by our leader.”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2347265/tareen-group-boycott-ptis-punjab-parliamentary-meeting

LAHORE:
As the war of words heats up between the government and the opposition in the run-up to the no-confidence motion, Leader of the Opposition and PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif on Thursday claimed that Prime Minister Imran Khan has "lost his mental balance" and the same can be determined by his recent statements.

Shehbaz passed these remarks during an interaction with media personnel outside the a special court in Lahore, where he was to attend case proceedings in his alleged money laundering case registered by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA).

“PM Khan has not only damaged the Kashmir cause but has also pushed the country into a corner," the opposition leader said further.

Regarding the no-confidence motion filed against the premier, Shehbaz said he was confident in the outcome and claimed that “all political parties are united for the motion to get rid of the ruling party which has caused the prevailing crises, damaging the country’s economy”.

“We have faced forged cases registered against us all and these are cowardly moves made by the prime minister to humiliate us but we did not succumb because we are in the right”, Shehbaz claimed further.

Read: ‘Ghabrana nahi hai’, Shehbaz mocks PM as no-trust move nears

The leader furthered that PM Imran’s statements in recent days, “clearly show his fear”, adding that the premier’s “legs are trembling”.

On March 8, PTI leaders and federal ministers vowed to thwart the opposition’s attempt to oust Prime Minister Imran Khan through a no-confidence motion, which was submitted in the National Assembly Secretariat.

In a statement, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said filing a no-trust motion was the opposition parties’ constitutional right but added that the ruling party along with its coalition partners will defeat the opponents in the “political battle”.

“Imran Khan is an elected prime minister who came into power through a huge public mandate in 2018 elections,” he maintained.

FM Qureshi said he discussed the matter of no-confidence vote with the premier and it had been decided that the ruling party will make all-out efforts to foil the opposition’s move.

Earlier, on March 7, sources said that the prime minister, who chaired the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s (PTI) core committee meeting, assured the party that there was nothing to be worried about as “there is no threat to the democratic government”.

Surprisingly, the no-confidence motion has put everything on the back burner, including the weekly federal cabinet meeting. Noticeably, the premier has lately been so busy in turning the tables on the opposition that he has once again postponed the federal cabinet’s meeting – making it the third consecutive Tuesday without having to hear what the cabinet has to collectively say in these testing times.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2347280/shehbaz-claims-pm-imrans-statements-clearly-show-his-fear

On March 8, the Opposition political parties filed a no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan in the National Assembly.

Since then, government and opposition members have doubled their efforts to woo allies of the ruling party as well as disgruntled members from the PTI.

What are the latest developments? Who met who and what did they decide?

PM Imran Khan given legal options
Legal experts have advised PM Khan to foil the opposition’s no-confidence motion on technical grounds, sources said.

The development comes as the government's top officials — National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser, Law Minister Farogh Naseem, Defence Minister Pervez Khattak — met on Thursday in Islamabad.

The speaker also separately consulted with the national assembly’s law branch.

Legal experts have asked PM Imran Khan to send a written declaration to Qaiser in advance against the lawmakers, who he suspects will cross the floor during voting on the no-trust.

Based on the prime minister's declaration, the ruling party would then seek to declare the no-confidence motion null and void, sources added.

Asif Zardari reaches Sindh House
PPP Co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari has arrived at the Sindh House in the federal capital, following which he and PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari will chair a party meeting on the no-trust motion, those privy to the developments told Geo News.

The insiders further explained that the party leaders would advise their MNAs to make sure that they attend the session of the lower house when the no-confidence resolution is moved.

Read more: Jahangir Tareen group cajols PML-Q for ousting CM Usman Buzdar

PM Imran Khan arrives in Lahore
Following a day-long visit to Karachi on Wednesday, PM Khan reached Lahore on Thursday to win over the disgruntled lawmakers of the ruling PTI.

Fazl claims support of over 172 MNAs
The chief of the Pakistan Democratic Movement Maulana Fazlur Rehman claims that the Opposition alliance has the support of over 172 MNAs for the no-trust motion, which is why he is confident of ousting the prime minister.

The opposition leader made the remarks in the Geo News programme "Jirga", which will be aired this Saturday at 10pm.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/404186-no-trust-motion-latest-developments

Eventually the Christian Orthodox will become great partners with Muslim nations. They have more in common than athiest, secular nations or those who worship idols etc. Its a slow process but the motion has begun.

With the weekend approaching and my family being away for the weekend, I would love to get hold of the recreational substance you are using right now.

PM Imran says Gen Bajwa told him not to refer to Fazl as 'diesel'

Prime Minister Imran Khan addressed on Friday a huge public gathering in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa's Lower Dir, where he lashed out at all three party heads – PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif, PPP co-chair Asif Ali Zardari and Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam – Fazl (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman – who have joined hands to file a no-trust motion against him.

Terming them the "three stooges", Imran recalled instances from the past when, according to him, these leaders had gone against Pakistan's national interest.

While addressing the crowd, the prime minister referred to Fazl as "diesel" but then went on to say that Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa told him not to refer to Fazl as diesel.

"I was just talking to Gen Bajwa and he told me not to refer to Fazl as diesel. But I am not the one who is saying that. The people have named him diesel," the prime minister said.

The premier said that in a recent media talk, Fazl had said when he comes to power, he would "mend an institution". This, the premier said, was a reference to Pakistan Army.

"Today, Pakistan exists because of the army," the prime minister said. "Will these people fix the army?" he questioned.

The premier held the opposition leaders responsible for the Pakistani passport losing respect in the world.

"They have been ruling this country for the past 30 to 35 years. They took loans and indebted this country, and they bowed before the world's big powers," he said, adding that neither Zardari nor PML-N supremo had condemned drone strikes carried out by the US in Pakistan during their tenures as the president and prime minister, respectively.

On the other hand, he continued, his government's vision was to transform Pakistan into a welfare state, along the lines of state of Madinah.

"Look at my manifesto, in which I outlined three goals. Firstly, I said that we would make Pakistan a self-respecting nation, make it stand on its feet," he said. "Secondly, that we would make our country a welfare state similar to the state of Madinah and thirdly, we would install a system of justice. We would bring the powerful under law."

As he again turned his gun on opposition leaders, the premier referred to an incident of an Indian "high-speed flying object" falling in Khanewal's Main Channu yesterday.

"An Indian missile entered Pakistan yesterday," he said. "But when Nawaz Sharif was in power, he never spoke against [Indian Prime Minister] who was calling the Pakistan Army terrorists at the time."

Instead, he continued, Nawaz directed the Foreign Office not to issue statements against India.

The premier attributed these actions to leaders having outside the country.

"And leader whose assets are abroad will never devise an independent foreign policy that focuses on protecting the nation and its rights," he said.

"But neither have I ever bowed before anyone nor will I ever let you bow before you anyone," he assured.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1679440/pm-imran-khan-addresses-rally-in-lower-dir

"Only animals are NEUTRAL. Good human beings pick a side & stand with truth." - Prime Minister of #Pakistan Imran Khan
:salute

Prime Minister Imran Khan addressed on Friday a huge public gathering in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa's Lower Dir, where he lashed out at all three party heads – PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif, PPP co-chair Asif Ali Zardari and Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam – Fazl (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman – who have joined hands to file a no-trust motion against him.

Terming them the "three stooges", Imran recalled instances from the past when, according to him, these leaders had gone against Pakistan's national interest.

He said he had been praying that they go ahead with their plan to file a no-confidence motion against him so that he was given an opportunity to " take three wickets in one ball".

"I am competing against these three dacoits and ... I will take all three wickets with one inswing yorker," the premier repeated.

He also alleged that the opposition had been demanding an NRO from him.

"They tell me that they will topple my government if I don't close corruption cases against them. But I tell them that I will not close the cases even if I have to give my life for it. I am not doing politics against you but fighting a jihad."

The prime minister further accused the opposition of trying to buy the votes of lawmakers from the PTI and its allied parties to make the no-confidence motion a success.

He said he had called on people to gather at Islamabad's D-Chowk a day before the session for voting on the no-confidence motion, which is yet to be scheduled.

On that day, the premier said, there would be a sea of people at D-Chowk.

PM Imran said he had asked people to gather at D-Chowk to convey the message to the opposition that the nation was standing with the good and against the evil.

"Humans either side with the good or the evil. Only animals remain neutral," he commented.

The premier termed voting on the no-confidence motion "a match in parliament" and said, "You will see what I do with them after winning this match."

'Bajwa asked not to call Fazl diesel'

Earlier in his speech, the prime minister referred to Fazl as "diesel" but then went on to say that Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa told him not to refer to Fazl as diesel.

"I was just talking to Gen Bajwa and he told me not to refer to Fazl as diesel. But I am not the one who is saying that. The people have named him diesel," the prime minister said.

The premier said that in a recent media talk, Fazl had said when he comes to power, he would "mend an institution". This, the premier said, was a reference to Pakistan Army.

"Today, Pakistan exists because of the army," the prime minister said. "Will these people fix the army?" he questioned.

The premier held the opposition leaders responsible for the Pakistani passport losing respect in the world.

"They have been ruling this country for the past 30 to 35 years. They took loans and indebted this country, and they bowed before the world's big powers," he said, adding that neither Zardari nor PML-N supremo had condemned drone strikes carried out by the US in Pakistan during their tenures as the president and prime minister, respectively.

On the other hand, he continued, his government's vision was to transform Pakistan into a welfare state, along the lines of the state of Madinah.

"Look at my manifesto, in which I outlined three goals. Firstly, I said that we would make Pakistan a self-respecting nation, make it stand on its feet," he said. "Secondly, that we would make our country a welfare state similar to the state of Madinah and thirdly, we would install a system of justice. We would bring the powerful under law."

Reiterating that he intended to make Pakistan a welfare state similar to the state of Madinah, he outlined various measures, including the issuance of health cards and the recent reduction in petrol prices by Rs10, taken by his government in this regard.

"We are now on the path to becoming [a state like Madinah]," he said. "Pakistan will become an example for the world," he added.

As he again turned his gun on opposition leaders, the premier referred to an incident of an Indian "high-speed flying object" falling in Khanewal's Main Channu yesterday.

"An Indian missile entered Pakistan yesterday," he said. "But when Nawaz Sharif was in power, he never spoke against [Indian Prime Minister] who was calling the Pakistan Army terrorists at the time."

Instead, he continued, Nawaz directed the Foreign Office not to issue statements against India.

The premier attributed these actions to leaders having outside the country.

"And leader whose assets are abroad will never devise an independent foreign policy that focuses on protecting the nation and its rights," he said.

"But neither have I ever bowed before anyone nor will I ever let you bow before you anyone," he assured.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1679440/no-trust-vote-pm-imran-says-will-take-three-wickets-in-one-ball

Love Kaptaan Sahib!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Imran Khan "I am competing against three dacoits and I will take the wickets of all three with one inswinging yorker" <a href="https://t.co/LeXUFbfUAD">pic.twitter.com/LeXUFbfUAD</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1502283539525603331?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 11, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thread is about Pakistan politics. Keep India etc out of it.

In a surprising development, estranged PTI leader Aleem Khan met former premier Nawaz Sharif in London and discussed political situation of the country, The Express Tribune learnt on Friday.

The development, confirmed by the sources close to Aleem, came days after he along with a group of like-minded parliamentarians announced joining the disgruntled faction of the ruling party led by Jahangir Khan Tareen.

The insiders said the two leaders of rival political parties held consultations on prevailing political situation in the country including no-confidence motion during the meeting that lasted for at least couple of hours.

Aleem Khan, who resigned as senior Punjab minister in November last year, informed the PML-N chief about the “bad governance” in Punjab and expressed reservations over Chief Minister Usman Buzdar’s abilities to govern the biggest province of the country.

The three-time prime minister appreciated the role of Aleem Khan as political leader during the meeting, the sources said. They said Aleem Khan will not formally join PML-N and would lead a like-minded group of parliamentarians within PTI.

They added that Aleem will not meet Tareen, who is also in London reportedly for medical treatment, and expected to return to Pakistan today.

In the next few days, Aleem will hold a power show along with his disgruntled group of lawmakers to show his strength, as per the sources.

On Monday, Aleem held an important meeting with the Tareen group in Lahore to discuss the no-trust motion announced by the joint opposition against Prime Minister Imran Khan.

Speaking to the media, Aleem said that he contacted over 40 parliamentarians of the ruling party during the past four days. “We all have teamed up in the last bid to strengthen the party. The PTI does not belong to an individual but it belongs to all of us. We will jointly make all decisions over the no-trust motion,” he said.

The former senior minister pointed out that Tareen had played an active role in bringing PTI into power. But he was ignored by the party for unknown reasons, he added.

“All those people who worked alongside Prime Minister Imran Khan for “Naya Pakistan” have been sidelined and others surrounded the leader when the party came into power. There is no answer to why this happened,” he lamented.

Express Tribune

IK said he will call his supporters to D-chowk one day before the vote. Opposition said they will also prepare for it. Lots of fun & action expected over next 10 days. #popcorns

Look at the faces of the mafia. It's like a poster of the most wanted. These badniyaat,badshakal thugs will lose either way.

PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif and JUI-F chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman hit back at Prime Minister Imran Khan on Friday for using “foul language” against them, warning him that ‘they knew how to control him’.

Their reaction comes soon after PM Imran at a public gathering in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa’s Dir area fired a broadside at the opposition leaders, calling them “stooges and bouquet of thieves”.

Referring to Fazl as ‘diesel’, Imran had said army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa had asked him not to call the politician 'diesel'. “I am not the one saying it… people have given him this name”. He had also claimed that the opposition parties wanted to topple his government through no-confidence motion to halt accountability process.

Speaking at a joint press conference after meeting with the JUI-F chief in Islamabad, Shahbaz condemned the language used by the premier against his political opponents.

“He [PM Imran] is calling Nawaz Sharif a fugitive even though he is about to become the same… Niazi is a by-product of rigged elections. Imran Khan says that Shahbaz Sharif polishes boots even though he was brought into power by establishment,” he added.

Speaking on the occasion, the JUI-F chief also slammed the premier for his diatribe against opposition leaders, saying “he has lost his senses and is not mentally stable”.

“He was born without manners… the nation will soon get rid of him,” he said, adding that Imran Khan’s language reflected that “he is not eligible to be the prime minister of the country”.

Fazl, who also heads anti-government alliance PDM, urged the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) to take notice of PM Imran’s explosive speeches. “Pakistan can no longer afford such people to become leader.”

He asked the government to fight political battle in parliament against no-trust move if they have support of majority of lawmakers instead of resorting to using “abusive language” against its opponents. “We have a majority to pass no-confidence motion,” he reiterated.

When asked to comment on PM Imran’s comment on General Bajwa’s advice asking the premier to not call the JUI-F chief a diesel, Fazl said: "I have no idea about this and I do not stoop to his [PM Imran] level,” he responded.

PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari also reacted strongly to PM Imran’s diatribe against his opponents, saying Imran Khan’s abusive language is the biggest proof that he knows he’s losing. “Have you ever heard a winning captain abuse his opponents? No, losers do,” he wrote on his official Twitter handle.

The PPP chief also censured the prime minister for mentioning armed forces in public gatherings. “His [Imran Khan] reference to the army in public jalsa while no confidence is pending is pathetic, desperate and will not work,” he maintained.

Express Tribune

After this vote its time to lock up these criminals. God forbid if anything happens to IK, the country will once again end up in the hands of thieves. Time for them to finally disappear from politics.

PML Q betrayed Musharraf in 2008. I hope IK has the sense not to take their word and take daily briefings from the ISI and IB as to what is going on exactly. The opposition i.e. PML N and PPP will leave to expense unturned to upset the equation.

He needs them until 2023, but for the next election he should not contest with them.

Three days have passed since the opposition filed its much-hyped no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan, but the coalition partners of the ruling Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) have yet to explicitly express their support for the government.

Premier Imran personally visited the leaders of two key allies, the Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) in Lahore and the Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) in Karachi, recently, but both the parties haven’t yet announced their definite support for the government.

In his public rallies, PM Imran is putting up a brave face but his concerns are stated to be growing manifolds in the absence of a firm announcement from the coalition partners. The government’s chief spokesperson, however, on Friday claimed that the allies stood by the PTI.

One reason, resonating in the power corridors is that the lawmakers have not yet received any phone calls from the powerful quarters that they used to get before making any crucial move in and outside parliament.

Though the opposition is demanding neutrality from the ‘state’ – a tacit reference to the establishment – the prime minister and his key ministers have openly been saying that the Constitution mandates the institution to stand with the government, instead of staying neutral.

“Phone calls usually come on a particular day or just a day before something is to be done,” a lawmaker from a PTI coalition partner said on the condition of anonymity. “Time for receiving phone calls has yet to come, so I can’t really say if the establishment is neutral on the no-confidence motion.”

The lawmaker spoke to The Express Tribune after the speech of PM Imran on Friday. “I can’t really say how would they [establishment] take the statement [of the prime minister],” the lawmaker added.

Unlike the previous occasions, when the allies openly supported the government, this time around Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry is the first one to claim that the government allies will formally extend full support to PM Imran before the National Assembly session is called.

Fawad’s statement comes at a time when it has been stated that the PML-Q has demanded that its senior leader Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi be made the Punjab chief minister even before calling the National Assembly session on the no-confidence motion.

PML-Q’s Tariq Basheer Cheema, to whom the statement has been attributed, was asked to confirm the development but he did not respond till filing of the story. A PML-Q official in Lahore also refused to confirm or deny the reports of demanding the chief minister’s post in return for supporting the government.

“Before summoning of the session on no-confidence motion, all the PTI allies will formally announce giving vote of confidence to Prime Minister Imran and the prevailing situation of uncertainty would come to an end,” Fawad said after a meeting with Elahi on Friday.

Fawad, flanked by State Minister for Information Farrukh Habib, said that it was imperative to end the political uncertainty as around 40 foreign ministers and 200 delegations of various countries would be in Islamabad to attend the Islamic Conference, being hosted by Pakistan on March 23.

To a question about his meeting with the Punjab Assembly speaker, Fawad said that the current political situation was discussed in detail as the PML-Q and the PTI were allies and there had been full unanimity of views and mutual trust.

“The PML-Q and the PTI are on the same page about the major decisions to be taken in the future,” Fawad said. “Most of the reservations of the PML-Q have been redressed, while the remaining will be addressed soon.”

Listing another reason to show that the PML-Q was with the PTI, Fawad said, “The PML-Q stands with the government as its members are part of the cabinet.”

To another question, he added that the decision related to Punjab would be taken after reaching a consensus with the stakeholders. On estranged PTI leaders, Aleem Khan and Jahangir Tareen, he said that they were still part of the party.

A PML-Q official in Lahore, said that speculation about demanding one thing or the other, or siding with the government or the opposition, emerged in the media on a daily basis and the party could not issue “clarifications every day”.

The official, also requesting anonymity, said that the PML-Q “has no problem with Buzdar and enjoys cordial relations” with him but added that “if he [Buzdar] is to be replaced then Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi should be given this portfolio”.

According to the PML-Q official, the situation “is very fluid”, so nothing could be stated in a few words. He added that seeking the chief minister’s post would mean that his party had put its cards on the table. He stressed that the party was viewing the situation and would decide their future plan in due course.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2347584/allies-to-announce-support-before-na-session

PM's attempt to escape no-trust move is pushing country into crisis: Sherry

PPP Senator Sherry Rehman hit out at Prime Minister Imran Khan on Saturday and accused him of pushing the country towards a crisis in his attempts to avoid the joint opposition's no-confidence resolution against him.

"His plan to avoid no-trust [motion] is pushing the country towards tension and constitutional crisis. In [his] confusion, [he is using] wrong language and making plans.

"The days of this government, which has [an] artificial majority, are numbered," the senator said. She also took the PM to task for the language he used against the opposition in a scathing attack while addressing a gathering in Lower Dir on Friday. Rehman said the premier's speech showed he was ready for a confrontation with everyone.

She said the tone and language he was using was "shocking".

The senator also criticised the prime minister for his comments on “neutrality”. “Humans either side with good or evil. Only animals remain neutral,” the PM had said during his address in Lower Dir.

His remarks had came a day after the military’s spokesperson categorically stated that the army had nothing to do with politics and called for avoiding unnecessary discussion and speculation about the army’s alleged involvement in political affairs.

However, PM Khan had appreciated the role of the army, saying that it was due to a strong and disciplined army that the country was safe and protected.

Rehman said the government would have been in an uproar if the opposition had interpreted the concept of neutrality in such a manner. "The government has been saying for three and a half years that institutions are neutral. The prime minister himself says he is not part of any bloc and is neutral. He claims to have introduced a neutral umpire in cricket.

"Now he says only animals are neutral. The prime minister had earlier said that the no-confidence motion was a global conspiracy against him and now he says that his prayer has been answered," she said. The senator quipped that taking a "U-turn" from his stances had become a part of the premier's global identity.

The prime minister's tirade against the opposition on Friday wasn't his first outburst against his political opponents since the no-trust motion was filed on Tuesday. He had thundered on Wednesday that he would “grab the thieves by their necks” and go after them once this “battle of nerves” is over — taking aim at PPP co-chairperson Asif Ali Zardari in particular.

The premier's comments on the former president had prompted PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari to respond in kind, saying "the threats hurled by Imran at Asif Ali Zardari are intolerable" and asked the premier to now "prepare for the consequences".

https://www.dawn.com/news/1679598/p...st-move-is-pushing-country-into-crisis-sherry

Minister for Planning and Development Asad Umar on Saturday said that the opposition does not have the required numbers for passing the no-confidence motion in the National Assembly.

Talking to a local television channel, the minister claimed that Pakistan Muslim League-Q (PML-Q) and Mutahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) were both supporting the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf government and leaders of both the parties had given clear statements in this regard.

Umar added that coalition partners having issues with PTI leadership were mere “speculations”.

He further stated that PTI has decided to organise a large public meeting in the federal capital one day before the no-confidence move.

Minister for Information and Broadcasting Chaudhry Fawad Hussain said that the opposition’s ill-planned no-confidence motion had stirred up 'bitterness' in politics.

Taking to his official Twitter account, the minister stated that democracy was not a system of extreme divisions but was based on political consensus.

“It is not difficult to fight, but reconciliation is difficult later”, he said. Fawad added that politics should not be so divisive that it becomes difficult to talk to each other.

Allies to ‘announce support’ before NA session

Three days have passed since the opposition filed its much-hyped no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan, but the coalition partners of the ruling PTI have yet to explicitly express their support for the government.

Premier Imran personally visited the leaders of two key allies, the PML-Q in Lahore and the MQM-P in Karachi, recently, but both the parties haven’t yet announced their definite support for the government.

In his public rallies, PM Imran is putting up a brave face but his concerns are stated to be growing manifolds in the absence of a firm announcement from the coalition partners. The government’s chief spokesperson, however, on Friday claimed that the allies stood by the PTI.

Express Tribune

Minister of Interior Sheikh Rashid on Saturday said political stakeholders should move towards reconciliation as there is only "a year left to the next elections".

“Even today I believe that we should cool down and move towards reconciliation,” the minister said while talking to the media in Quetta.

“There is a year left to the next elections, it is better to wait with Imran Khan. Otherwise, the opposition will stay in line for another 10 years and keep talking about the ‘selection’.”

The interior minister also said that he had received a complaint from JUI-F General Secretary Maulana Ghafoor Haideri regarding Prime Minister Imran Khan's verbal jibes against the joint opposition.

Reiterating his earlier statement, the interior minister said the security of the Parliament Lodges, along with the main Parliament building, will be handed over to the Frontier Corps and Punjab Rangers seven days prior to the non-confidence vote in the National Assembly.

“No one, including Ansarul Islam, Baitul-Salam and any other private militia, will be allowed inside the lodges,” the minister stressed.

On March 10, a verbal slugfest between the government and the opposition turned violent after the Islamabad Police came into action when members of Ansarul Islam, a uniformed volunteer force of the JUI-F, entered the Parliament Lodges in large numbers under the pretext of providing security to the lawmakers.

The government described the uniformed volunteer force of the JUI-F, Ansarul Islam, as a “private militia” and backed the police on storming the Parliament Lodges and arresting JUI-F MNA Salahuddin Ayubi, MNA Maulana Jamaluddin and 19 others.

All party workers were released the following day on March 11.

Minster Rashid further said the federal government has the power to call the Pakistan Army to maintain peace under Article 245 of the Constitution, However, that would not be required.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2347598/rashid-urges-calm-reconciliation-prior-to-no-confidence-vote

The PML-Q is mulling to quit PTI-led coalition government after federal ministers Sheikh Rashid Ahmed and Moonis Elahi exchanged blows over the matter of impending no-confidence vote, The Express Tribune learnt on Saturday.

Speaking to the media in Quetta today, Interior Minister Rashid took a veiled jibe at the PML-Q leadership saying, “I am not like those who have only five seats [in National Assembly] and are blackmailing the government to get the post of Punjab chief minister”.

He was apparently referring to reports that PML-Q, a key ally of PTI both at Centre and Punjab, was demanding the government to replace Punjab CM Usman Buzdar with senior party leader and provincial assembly speaker Pervaiz Elahi in return for the support in foiling opposition’s no-confidence motion in the National Assembly.

Responding to a question about PM Imran’s hard-hitting speeches against opposition leaders, Rashid said he believed that the political temperature of the country should be brought down.

“Their [opposition] no-confidence motion will be defeated so it is better that we cool them down now and prepare them mentally that they are going to lose,” he added.

The minister lashed out at the opposition parties and accused them of deceiving the masses under what he called the cover of vote of no-confidence. "They are selling their conscience not votes," he said. "I will stand by Prime Minister Imran Khan and he will complete five years," he said.

He said over 300 people stormed the parliament lodges, which put the security of the house at risk. When asked about the arrest of two members of the national assembly, he said that the two members deliberately handed themselves over to police to gain publicity. "We provided them good food and sent them back," he said.

He said no militia would be allowed to take the law into their hands. The government has the constitutional authority to convene the military under article 245 of the Constitution but currently, there was no need, he said.

Hitting back at Rashid’s statement, PML-Q leader and Federal Minister for Water Resources Moonis Elahi said, “I respect Sheikh Rashid but he is forgetting that he used to take money from the elders of his party during his student life”.

Meanwhile, sources privy to the development have told The Express Tribune that PML-Q in a meeting earlier today held consultations on ongoing talks with the government and opposition parties over no-confidence motion.

They added that the meeting between PML-Q and PTI delegation on Friday remained fruitless and the government could not satisfy its ally to secure its support for no-trust move.

The insiders said PML-Q will announce its final decision tomorrow (Sunday) and it is likely to part ways with the PTI-led ruling alliance.

Express Tribune

enough of this tamasha, sick and tired of the democrazy circus since last 14 years ...... i think its time to remove The Lynchpin ......

They added that the meeting between PML-Q and PTI delegation on Friday remained fruitless and the government could not satisfy its ally to secure its support for no-trust move.

The insiders said PML-Q will announce its final decision tomorrow (Sunday) and it is likely to part ways with the PTI-led ruling alliance.

It was a mistake of PTI to contest the election with Qatil League. Best option is to create a South Punjab province, and give some from the Tareen group the CM Punjab position, and to make Buzdar the South Punjab CM. And to take care of Qatil league in 2023.

When is the no confidence vote?

if we believe indications are its going to be before 23rd March,
Islamabad will be fortress by Army personnel becoz of 23rd March and OIC summit , 60+ countries delegations will be visiting Islamabad and attending 23rd March Parade ......

Islamabad will be fortress by Army personnel becoz of 23rd March and OIC summit , 60+ countries delegations will be visiting Islamabad and attending 23rd March Parade ......

They could have waited until after the OIC summit to do the no confidence vote. Or did it well before. The 3 stooges besides from being corrupt are also quiet shameless.

They could have waited until after the OIC summit to do the no confidence vote. Or did it well before. The 3 stooges besides from being corrupt are also quiet shameless.

shiekh rasheed said they want to do it before 23rd March, meaning someone send a msg to all political parties to get over the tamasha before 23rd March .......

If they were smart they should purposely lose >Let the opposition run govt for 1.5 yrs ( time left till next elections ) . They will obviously fail BADLY . Our folks will start missing PTI again ( short memories) . Contest in next elections without giving tickets to corrupt folk in the party and win by a bigger margin . This can only happen if elections were clean tough .

If they were smart they should purposely lose >Let the opposition run govt for 1.5 yrs ( time left till next elections ) . They will obviously fail BADLY . Our folks will start missing PTI again ( short memories) . Contest in next elections without giving tickets to corrupt folk in the party and win by a bigger margin . This can only happen if elections were clean tough .

as i said before in this thread, whether IK survive or not, its lose-lose for opposition in the long run , they fall in the trap ...... its a long game ......

btw, Army isnt pleased with all of this circus, they dont want these baboons in Islamabad in 23rd March , and if any party try to take advantage of the situation ..... it will be nail in the coffin for them in next election ......

shiekh rasheed said they want to do it before 23rd March, meaning someone send a msg to all political parties to get over the tamasha before 23rd March .......

Yes, they want to get over this politics tamasha by 23rd march so that these buffoons can do their drama dance parade on that day with maximum media coverage

60+ delegations should be invited during PM appointment ceremony instead of this monkey drama dance parade

PML-N Senator Irfan Siddiqui on Sunday has said that Prime Minister Imran Khan's options are rapidly running out as the premier is no longer in a position to elect a chief minister from Punjab if Usman Buzdar is ousted.

In a conversation with a private TV channel, the PML-N senator claimed that the trajectory of the no-trust motion was no longer “a matter of removing Usman Buzdar but rather a matter of electing a new chief minister".

Siddiqui furthered that that even if the PM came under pressure and removed Buzdar, he will not be in a position to elect Chaudhry Pervez Elahi or "anyone else" due to a lack of majority in the House.

“Currently, in a House of 371, PTI with its 184 members has the support of 10 members of the PML-Q and one member of the Rah-e-Haq Party, as the total number of pro-PTI members is 195,” Senator Siddiqui explained.

He added that the opposition consisted of 165 members of the PML-N and seven members of the PPP, making a total of 172 members.

“The difference between the opposition and the government is only 17 members. In order to elect a CM of their liking, the ruling party will require at least 186 members which they do not have,” he added.

The PML-N senator claimed that even with 15 votes from the PML-Q and Rah-e-Haq, the ruling party will still require 171 members, “which are not available to them in the current situation”.

“Because there are many factions in the PTI, including Tareen and Aleem groups, each faction has its own goal but they will ultimately unite against the candidate nominated by Khan,” the opposition senator stated.

In response to a question regarding the powers of the premier, he said that at present Imran Khan has lost the scope of any kind of bargaining within Punjab.

He furthered that the coalition partners could sense the PM’s position, saying, the “PML-Q has realised that Khan sahib can no longer give anything to anyone in Punjab.”

Express Tribune

Shehbaz raises questions on NA speaker's neutrality

National Assembly Opposition Leader and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) President Shehbaz Sharif on Sunday expressed reservations over the impartiality of National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser.

In a tweet, the PML-N president said: "Given his conduct and statements, Asad Qaiser has come across as partisan and heavily tilted in favour of [the] PTI." Shehbaz said his behaviour had raised a "huge question mark on his role and probity".
A day earlier, sources said with the likely success of the motion of no-confidence against Premier Imran Khan, the motion against the speaker and deputy speaker of the NA will be submitted.

On Saturday, the opposition leaders criticised Speaker Qaiser over what they termed was his “blatant partisanship” in handling the no-confidence motion, asking the latter to step down from his position or call an immediate session of the lower house.

Sounding alarms over Qaiser’s terming of the opposition’s no-trust motion a “foreign conspiracy”, both main opposition parties –the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and PML-N – had said the speaker had failed to discharge his duty as a custodian of the house by showing explicit leanings towards the ruling party.

“By no stretch of imagination, can the speaker of the National Assembly make blatantly partisan statements about the vote of no confidence? This is a constitutional instrument he is trying to obstruct. This act by itself renders him unfit to preside over any such session,” Parliamentary Leader of the PPP in the Senate, Sherry Rehman, had said in a statement.

Earlier talking to the media persons, the NA speaker had hit out at the joint opposition, saying that the no-trust move was bound to fail.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2347765/shehbaz-raises-questions-on-na-speakers-neutrality

State's responsibility to stop horse-trading, says PM Imran

Prime Minister Imran Khan on Sunday said it was the responsibility of the state and judiciary to stop the "corrupt" and "convicted" politicians who were trying to "topple the state" through horse-trading.

Addressing a political gathering in Hafizabad, Imran said when the people who were facing cases in courts join hands to try to topple the" country's state", to use the money to buy off people [lawmakers], to use stolen money to buy the conscience of people, then it is the responsibility of the state to raise voice against this practice.

The premier's remarks came days after the united opposition front submitted a no-confidence motion against the chief executive of the country – Prime Minister Imran Khan – while pinning its hopes for the success of the motion on the estranged members of the ruling party and its allies.

The key leaders of the opposition parties will meet tomorrow (Monday) over dinner at the residence of the Leader of Opposition in National Assembly and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) President Shehbaz Sharif to hold a consultative huddle to chalk out an effective strategy to make its no-confidence motion.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2347766/states-responsibility-to-stop-horse-trading-says-pm-imran

Public should be ready to reach Islamabad at any moment: Fazl

Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman on Sunday has asked the public to be ready as the Opposition will summon them to Islamabad at any moment as the no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan has been submitted to the National Assembly.

Talking to journalists regarding the no-trust move, Fazl said the PM has lost the majority as well as the trust of his allies.

“The matter is out of PM Khan’s hands now,” he claimed, adding that “he should gather 172 members against the Opposition in the National Assembly rather than gathering one million people for the Islamabad rally.”

The PDM chief said that the workers should reach Islamabad as soon as they are summoned.

Taking a jibe at Sheikh Rasheed, who had claimed a day prior that he is standing in support with PM Imran Khan "like a wall", Fazl said that the so-called support is nothing short of feeble.

He further criticised the interior minister and said that "he is someone who bites the hand that feeds him," adding that "no one can stop the Opposition from entering the federal capital".

Talking about the incumbent government, the JUI-F chief said that its days are numbered.

NA Secretariat advises speaker to summon session by March 22: sources
The National Assembly Secretariat has advised Speaker Asad Qaiser to summon a session before March 22 after declaring that the Opposition's no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran is filed as per the rules, sources told Geo News.

Officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, shared that summoning a session is a constitutional requirement that cannot be disregarded.

Sources privy to the matter said that the verification of the signatures of the Opposition's MNAs on the motion and requisition for convening an assembly session has been completed.

They said that none of the signatures were found to be suspicious or against the rules, after which the secretariat forwarded the file to the NA speaker.

According to sources, the first phase was the verification of signatures on the requisition and the second was the verification of signatures on the no-trust motion.

Opposition submits no-trust motion against PM Imran Khan
The Opposition had submitted the no-confidence motion against PM Imran Khan in the NA Secretariat last Tuesday.

A total of 86 lawmakers from the Opposition parties signed the no-confidence motion, sources said.

JUI-F's Shahida Akhtar Ali, PML-N's Khawaja Saad Rafique, Marriyum Aurangzeb, Ayaz Sadiq, Rana Sanaullah, Khawaja Saad Rafique and PPP's Naveed Qamar and Shazia Marri submitted the no-trust motion and requisition for a session to the NA Secretariat.

Currently, the government has a 17-member lead over the Opposition but the latter has claimed that it has enough support to prove that PM Imran Khan no more commands the people's trust.

Source: geo.tv

Sheikh Rashid backtracks on 'blackmailing' remark, says it was not directed towards PML-Q

Interior Minister Sheikh Rashid on Sunday backtracked from his accusation made against the PML-Q a day earlier, saying that his remarks were "general" and not directed towards any particular party.

Rashid, in a press conference on Saturday, had accused the PML-Q of "blackmailing" the government for Punjab's chief minister position in return for support during the opposition's no-trust move against Prime Minister Imran Khan. In response, the PML-Q's Moonis Elahi had hit back and counter alleged that Rashid used to "take money from the party's elders during his student life".

The interior minister, while speaking at an event organised by the Islamabad Women Chamber of Commerce and Industries in the capital today, revisited the topic and denied taking a dig at the PML-Q in particular and acknowledge that the party had done him favours back in the day.

"I neither named the Q league nor the Chaudhrys ... I only said it in general," Rashid said. "The problem is that when I say something ... even of it goes against me, it [gets airtime] the full 24 hours.

"[Chaudhry] Shujaat is my brother. God bless him with health ... I will never speak against him."

Rashid did, however, say that the true test of a friend comes during trying times.

NA Speaker to call session for no-trust move after Mar 15
Meanwhile, Rashid said that NA Speaker Asad Qaiser would call a session of the lower house on the joint opposition's no-confidence resolution against the premier after March 15.

The opposition submitted the resolution against Prime Minister Imran Khan on Tuesday and also requisitioned a session of the NA. After the lower house is in session, the rules of procedure dictate that the secretary will circulate a notice for a no-confidence resolution, which will be moved on the next working day.

From the day the resolution is moved, it "shall not be voted upon before the expiry of three days, or later than seven days," according to the rules of procedure. Therefore, the speaker must call the lower house in session by March 22, while voting on the no-confidence motion must take place between three and seven days after the session is summoned.

"The speaker has to decide when to call the session. He will decide after the 15th [since] there is the OIC (Organisation of Islamic Cooperation) conference on the 21st and 22nd [of March]," Rashid said.

Responding to a question, he elaborated that it was the speaker's job and power to call an NA session and his decision couldn't be challenged in any court. "Whatever decision the speaker takes will be a legal and constitutional one," Rashid added.

The interior minister said the opposition had the complete right to make a no-trust move, however, he cautioned that the country should not be forced towards "anarchy".

Separately, the interior minister warned again against any militia marching into Islamabad and said anyone attempting to do so would be "trampled". His remarks were in the context of the recent operation carried out against JUI-F's Ansaral Islam force in the Parliament Lodges.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1679767/s...remark-says-it-was-not-directed-towards-pml-q

Yes, they want to get over this politics tamasha by 23rd march so that these buffoons can do their drama dance parade on that day with maximum media coverage

60+ delegations should be invited during PM appointment ceremony instead of this monkey drama dance parade

why are you getting jelous ? its 23rd march, dont you know the significance of this date ? or am i missing something ?

source says, Imran Khan is going home , until unless some "miracle" will happen at the 11th hour ....... so Opposition will gonna rule for 1.5 year ..... they fell for the trap ...... Lol

The opposition is being played by Maulana Fazlur Rehman, if they wait till the general election pmln/ppp and others can easily gain enough seats in a hung parliament but maulana saab knows this is his only way to become PM, collapse the gov. and become an interim PM.

Or topple the govt. and call for snap elections immediately.

PTI will struggle under current circumstances.

Or topple the govt. and call for snap elections immediately.

PTI will struggle under current circumstances.

The last Gallup poll suggested they would win the election, however they will lose Punjab. Which is why its very important for PTI to create a South Punjab province.

I hope the corrupt mafia topples the government and run it for rest of the tenure , that's the only way IK can win again in 2023 without the 'electables" and form a better government.

I hope the corrupt mafia topples the government and run it for rest of the tenure , that's the only way IK can win again in 2023 without the 'electables" and form a better government.

Let them do their best. When the mafia is led by people who have hated and jailed each other and then the same people come together against one man, you know he is onto something.

Former prime minister and Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) chief Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain on Sunday asked Prime Minister Imran Khan to refrain from ridiculing the political opponents by calling them names.

Talking to media persons after an informal meeting with the party's parliamentarians, Shujaat noted that PM Imran always spoke about the mode state of Madina, but he wouldn't have leveled accusations or called his opponents names had he studied the commandment in Holy Quran that prohibited it.

The veteran politician also quoted a specific verse from Holy Quran that sheds light on the act, and urged politicians to refrain from making harsh remarks or resorting to indecent talk.

“O believers! Do not let some ˹men˺ ridicule others, they may be better than them, nor let ˹some˺ women ridicule other women, they may be better than them. Do not defame one another, nor call each other by offensive names. How evil it is to act rebelliously after having faith! And whoever does not repent, it is they who are the ˹true˺ wrongdoers." (Sūratul Hujurāt, No. 49, Āyat 11)

He further advised politicians to adhere to the rules of decency and take an approach of patience.

Also read: Rashid disowns 'blackmailing' remarks about PML-Q

Two days ago, while addressing a huge public gathering at Blambat Ground in Timergara, the district headquarter of Lower Dir, Premier Khan had said he had been asked by the army chief not to call Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman “diesel”.

“I am not the one saying it, people have given him this name,” he was further quoted as saying.

Turning his guns towards former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, Imran had said, “I am told not to call Nawaz a bhagora (absconder) and a liar.”

He had also highlighted that Nawaz ran away from Pakistan twice – first after making an alleged deal with military dictator Pervez Musharraf and then allegedly feigning illness during his tenure.

PM had also accused Nawaz of trying to bribe an army chief with a BMW and having a secret meeting with Modi in Nepal.

He also called former president and PPP co-chairperson Asif Ali Zardari a daku (bandit) during the same speech.

The opposition is being played by Maulana Fazlur Rehman, if they wait till the general election pmln/ppp and others can easily gain enough seats in a hung parliament but maulana saab knows this is his only way to become PM, collapse the gov. and become an interim PM.

Diesel is getting a house and the allowance he so desires and maybe a role for his son, but he will find that the Nooras and PPP are even more power hungry than he is. This unholy alliance of crooks will have to make decisions and that's when the problems start. The PK economy is in a precarious state because of increased oil and gas prices going through the roof and unless they can find a way to mine these resources from the backside of Diesel, Bhagora and Billo, they too will find that there is no way out at the moment.

Prime Minister Imran Khan on Sunday said it was the responsibility of the state and judiciary to stop the "corrupt" and "convicted" politicians who were trying to "topple the state" through horse-trading.

Addressing a political gathering in Hafizabad, Imran said when the people who were facing cases in courts join hands to try to topple the" country's state", to use the money to buy off people [lawmakers], to use stolen money to buy the conscience of people, then it is the responsibility of the state to raise voice against this practice.

The premier's remarks came days after the united opposition front submitted a no-confidence motion against the chief executive of the country – Prime Minister Imran Khan – while pinning its hopes for the success of the motion on the estranged members of the ruling party and its allies.

The key leaders of the opposition parties will meet tomorrow (Monday) over dinner at the residence of the Leader of Opposition in National Assembly and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) President Shehbaz Sharif to hold a consultative huddle to chalk out an effective strategy to make its no-confidence motion successful.

‘Didn’t join politics to check prices of potatoes and tomatoes’

PM Imran, in today's no-holds-barred speech, said that his main objective of joining politics 25 years back was not to check the prices of “potatoes and tomatoes” but to make Pakistani people a great nation.

“I did not need to come into politics because I had achieved everything in my life, but I entered politics only for the future of the youth,” he remarked.

While criticising the politics of ethnicity, the premier said the national cohesion can only be achieved when people belonging to all ethnicities share same ideology.

“We can never become one nation unless we give up slogans such as ‘Wake up Punjabi’ and ‘Sindhu Desh’, and stop running independence movements.”

'Kanpain taang rahi hain'

The prime minister said the nation would stand against elements trying to topple the government through “buying the conscience of the [lawmakers] using money”.

PM Imran said that the leaders never bow down to anyone. “Our [past] rulers’ legs trembled in front of western leaders,” he remarked while mocking PPP chairman for saying “Kanpain taang rahi hain” instead of “Tangain kaanp rahi hain”.

The premier went on to say that when he rebuked the envoys of European countries for asking Pakistan to explicitly condemn Russia for attacking Ukraine, “Shehbaz Sharif, Maulana Fazlur Rehman and Bilawal Bhutto Zardari were “trembling”.

“I have spent a long time in West and I know the West better than them… whoever polishes their [West] boots they look down on them,” he quipped.

PM Imran further said the United States carried out 400 drone strikes inside Pakistan from 2008 to 2013 but then governments led by PPP and PML-N never opposed them.

“We want cordial relations with all countries but will not compromise on national interest... I would not bow down to anyone nor would I allow the nation to give in before anyone.”

On the contrary, the prime minister said, he had always opposed those attacks, staged sit-ins, and gave statements in the United States and the United Kingdom, calling these attacks a grave violation of basic human rights and global principles.

Sharing one such experience, he told a group of European representatives, whether they would allow use of drone against a terrorist and criminal sitting in London who had killed scores of people in Karachi. The premier was apparently referring to MQM founder Altaf Hussain.

'We are no slave to anyone'

The prime minister also expressed the confidence that Pakistan would soon become a great country and would set a precedent in the world by following the principles of “Riyasat-e-Madina”.

Commenting on recent Indian missile blunder, he said Pakistan adopted a prudent approach. “Pakistan is a country that can defend itself. Pakistan is moving on the right path and its economy is set on the right course,” he added.

The prime minister said a true leader always raised the nation’s spirits and cited the example of founder of Pakistan Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah.

“The world respects that individual or the country that has self-respect,” he opined.

“But as a prime minister of a country of 220 million, it is my first and foremost duty to protect the rights and interests of the country. I will not allow any policy which can inflict any harm to the motherland. I will not compromise upon the national interests just for appeasing any other state,” he stressed.

The prime minister also justified his criticism of the EU ambassadors’ open letter over Russian-Ukraine conflict, which he maintained was against all diplomatic protocols. “Why didn’t they write such a letter to India? We are no slave to anyone,” he maintained.

‘Opposition not concerned about people but corruption cases’

Earlier in the day, an important meeting of the senior leadership of the ruling party was held under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Imran Khan in which the strategy related to the no-confidence motion was discussed.

According to Express News, the prime minister said during the meeting that the opposition was not concerned about the people but their own corruption cases.

He said they were in touch with the government allies, and a strategy has been devised to thwart the opposition's no-confidence motion.

‘One-million-strong’ power show at D-Chowk

As part of the PTI-led government’s strategy to thwart the opposition’s no-trust bid, it was decided during the meeting that a one-million strong rally would be staged at Islamabad’s D-Chowk ahead of the opposition’s no-confidence motion in the lower house of parliament.

Ali Nawaz Awan, tweeted that the premier had assigned them the task of gathering one million PTI activists and supporters for the party’s ‘grand power show’.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2347766/states-responsibility-to-stop-horse-trading-says-pm-imran

The key leaders of the opposition parties will meet tomorrow (Monday) over dinner at the residence of the Leader of Opposition in National Assembly and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) President Shehbaz Sharif to hold a consultative huddle to chalk out an effective strategy to make its no-confidence motion successful.

‘Didn’t join politics to check prices of potatoes and tomatoes’

PM Imran, in today's no-holds-barred speech, said that his main objective of joining politics 25 years back was not to check the prices of “potatoes and tomatoes” but to make Pakistani people a great nation.

“I did not need to come into politics because I had achieved everything in my life, but I entered politics only for the future of the youth,” he remarked.

While criticising the politics of ethnicity, the premier said the national cohesion can only be achieved when people belonging to all ethnicities share same ideology.

“We can never become one nation unless we give up slogans such as ‘Wake up Punjabi’ and ‘Sindhu Desh’, and stop running independence movements.”

'Kanpain taang rahi hain'

The prime minister said the nation would stand against elements trying to topple the government through “buying the conscience of the [lawmakers] using money”.

PM Imran said that the leaders never bow down to anyone. “Our [past] rulers’ legs trembled in front of western leaders,” he remarked while mocking PPP chairman for saying “Kanpain taang rahi hain” instead of “Tangain kaanp rahi hain”.

The premier went on to say that when he rebuked the envoys of European countries for asking Pakistan to explicitly condemn Russia for attacking Ukraine, “Shehbaz Sharif, Maulana Fazlur Rehman and Bilawal Bhutto Zardari were “trembling”.

“I have spent a long time in West and I know the West better than them… whoever polishes their [West] boots they look down on them,” he quipped.

PM Imran further said the United States carried out 400 drone strikes inside Pakistan from 2008 to 2013 but then governments led by PPP and PML-N never opposed them.

“We want cordial relations with all countries but will not compromise on national interest... I would not bow down to anyone nor would I allow the nation to give in before anyone.”

On the contrary, the prime minister said, he had always opposed those attacks, staged sit-ins, and gave statements in the United States and the United Kingdom, calling these attacks a grave violation of basic human rights and global principles.

Sharing one such experience, he told a group of European representatives, whether they would allow use of drone against a terrorist and criminal sitting in London who had killed scores of people in Karachi. The premier was apparently referring to MQM founder Altaf Hussain.

'We are no slave to anyone'

The prime minister also expressed the confidence that Pakistan would soon become a great country and would set a precedent in the world by following the principles of “Riyasat-e-Madina”.

Commenting on recent Indian missile blunder, he said Pakistan adopted a prudent approach. “Pakistan is a country that can defend itself. Pakistan is moving on the right path and its economy is set on the right course,” he added.

The prime minister said a true leader always raised the nation’s spirits and cited the example of founder of Pakistan Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah.

“The world respects that individual or the country that has self-respect,” he opined.

“But as a prime minister of a country of 220 million, it is my first and foremost duty to protect the rights and interests of the country. I will not allow any policy which can inflict any harm to the motherland. I will not compromise upon the national interests just for appeasing any other state,” he stressed.

The prime minister also justified his criticism of the EU ambassadors’ open letter over Russian-Ukraine conflict, which he maintained was against all diplomatic protocols. “Why didn’t they write such a letter to India? We are no slave to anyone,” he maintained.

‘Opposition not concerned about people but corruption cases’

Earlier in the day, an important meeting of the senior leadership of the ruling party was held under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Imran Khan in which the strategy related to the no-confidence motion was discussed.

According to Express News, the prime minister said during the meeting that the opposition was not concerned about the people but their own corruption cases.

He said they were in touch with the government allies, and a strategy has been devised to thwart the opposition's no-confidence motion.

‘One-million-strong’ power show at D-Chowk

As part of the PTI-led government’s strategy to thwart the opposition’s no-trust bid, it was decided during the meeting that a one-million strong rally would be staged at Islamabad’s D-Chowk ahead of the opposition’s no-confidence motion in the lower house of parliament.

Ali Nawaz Awan, tweeted that the premier had assigned them the task of gathering one million PTI activists and supporters for the party’s ‘grand power show’.

The passion in these jalsas has even surprised me and I am paid up member of the PTI fan club. IK should hammer home the message that this is paid for by the CIA to protect their assets in PK.

Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry has said that the opposition should take back its no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan considering the international economic situation and the political bitterness that would be created, adding that the PTI government "will see what can be given in return".

He made the remarks while speaking in Aaj News TV programme Aaj Rana Mubashir Ke Saath on Sunday night.

Chaudhry said one of the major problems with the country's politics was that it was very divisive, claiming that the differences between the opposition and the government were "personalised" instead of being based on policy.

The information minister said that since the opposition parties formed the Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM), "a lot of rancour has been created, hard statements have come forward and an environment is created ... a doctrine of unintended consequences becomes operative and a lot of things happen which both parties do not want."

So much bitterness would be created in politics by the time voting on the no-confidence motion takes place in two to three weeks that it would damage Pakistan, he said, adding that in his opinion, a solution should be found through which the opposition takes back the motion while "[we] will see what can be given in return."

When asked what the government could offer the opposition in such a scenario, Chaudhry said there were a number of matters on which negotiations could be held with the opposition, including electoral reforms, changes to the National Accountability Bureau laws and dates and processes of the next general elections.

"Whatever the opposition's [concerns] are, discussions can be held with open hearts," he said while cautioning "serious people" in the opposition that amid the impending vote on the motion, "we will keep doing politics for 2-3 weeks and when we look back, we will see that our economy has been damaged so much that it will be a problem to make it recover."

The country's benefit should be prioritised, he added.

If the opposition wanted early elections, they could also make it their demand, the information minister said, adding that while there was "no harm" in discussions, no one would make unliateral efforts.

When the host questioned whether a security situation could be created on the day of voting because of the PTI's plans to hold a rally at Islamabad's D-Chowk, Chaudhry said it could happen.

Referring to the PPP's recent long march which reached the capital on March 8, the minister said PTI believed "all those people bringing small rallies should see what a big one looks like", adding that the rally would be a "sort of referendum".

One million people would participate in the rally that would be held on the day of voting at D-Chowk, in front of Parliament House, he said. All parliamentarians arriving to vote on that day would have to pass through the rally on their way to the National Assembly and on their way back as well, he added.

When the host again questioned whether this would lead to a complicated security situation, the minister said, "We will see what situation will be created. That is why I'm saying they should take it back."

On the question of PM Imran declaring an emergency, Chaudhry said there was no reason to do so and the scope of emergency after the 18th Amendment was very limited.

'Internal reaction in PML-N'
Speaking about the government's allies — Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) in Punjab and Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) in Sindh — Chaudhry said they had assured during meetings that they were standing with the government. However, some leaders of the ally parties had given different statements, he noted, adding that there were reports of them meeting the opposition parties as well.

"We will see when they make a final decision. But then local politics comes into operation. If the PML-N accomodates the Chaudhry brothers, there will be an internal reaction. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. So, whoever takes action, he will get a reaction."

Chaudhry said that former prime minister and PML-N supremo Nawaz Sharif had "not fulfilled" promises he made to allies during difficult times.

"Whether you look at politics in 1988 ... Humayun Akhtar Khan (leader of a breakaway faction of the PML-Q) will remember that [the group and PML-N] came to an agreement, after which that group was absorbed in the PML-N." However, when the time came to give tickets to people from the PML-Q breakaway group for the 2018 elections, the PML-N reneged on its agreement, Chaudhry claimed.

Moving on to the political situation in Punjab, the information minister said the ruling party's performance in central Punjab — Lahore and Gujranwala — was "not very good" but the competition in the province was only between PTI and PML-N. "You saw PPP did a long march and spent all of Sindh's money like water [but] they did not get any response from Punjab and they have no chance [in the future] either."

Referring to former special assistant to the prime minister Nadeem Afzal Chan's return to PPP earlier this month, Chaudhry said he had told Chan that he would be better off if he "joined [India's] Congress party since it would have more votes" than Bilawal's PPP.

'Replacing Buzdar a problem'
When the host referred to reports that Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar was ready to resign — a key demand of the group of lawmakers led by estranged PTI leader Jahangir Tareen — Chaudhry responded that "Buzdar's going is not the difficult part; who will replace him is a problem."

He said that no group in the province was in consensus with any other group regarding ministries in Punjab.

The minister shared that he had spoken to Tareen and estranged leader Aleem Khan, saying he "fully expects that we will end the small disagreements and ... bring them back".

The two estranged party leaders had shown a lot of grace, he said.

"A lot of things will come forward in 48 to 72 hours," he added.

Boycott of Jang and Geo
Referring to a story by Jang which reportedly mentioned 33 PTI lawmakers had turned into dissidents, the minister said those named in the story had reached out to the reporter who allegedly responded that he had not filed it.

"The boycott we have done of Jang and Geo was a difficult decision and we did not want to do it [but] they have become representatives of the PML-N. They also published a [fake] news about me that I said treasonous lawmakers should be sent abroad for which Pemra (Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority) has sent them a notice."

When asked why the media was not "supporting" the PTI despite doing so in the past, Chaudhry responded, "These groups were never with us and they still cannot digest Imran Khan, especially the class who have properties abroad. They are worried because of what is happening with Russian oligarchs."

'Current system cannot deliver'
Chaudhry said the current political system in Pakistan "cannot deliver". Elaborating, he said all prime ministers in Pakistan wanted to run Punjab's affairs themselves, adding that the problem was not who became the chief minister but whether the central government wanted to decentralise or not.

"Local governments do not resist. So much money goes in provinces, billions have been given to Punjab. Now this money cannot be spent by one person. An anomaly has been created where chief ministers have become more powerful than the PM."

He disclosed that both he and Prime Minister Imran wanted to decentralise the system. If local governments were empowered, the money would go to district administrations through the Provincial Finance Commission, he added.

'Should've held LG elections in first year'
The minister admitted that the PTI government should have held elections for local governments in the first year of coming into power, calling it one of the "two or three major mistakes we made". When asked what the other mistakes were, Chaudhry said the federal government should have shut down the NAB and merged it with the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) similar to a single federal agency in other countries such as India and the United Kingdom.

"We should have accountability under our [control]. Our voter is not satisfied in this matter, he thinks we delayed [the process of accountability]."

He added that the government would focus on the lower middle classes next year.

"Our problem is that we do not have political parties, we have personalities," he said, adding that the opposition had no alternative plan whenever he asked them for it. The PPP and PML-N did not have technical committees that would define their policies, he said.

"We have had to change foreign ministers thrice because we had no backend team. We will need to create them so they can give policy guidance to front-end teams. I want to request Asad Umar to create backend teams," the minister concluded.

'Clear that PM has lost majority'
Meanwhile, PPP Vice President Sherry Rehman responded to what she termed the PTI's "threat' of holding a rally at D-Chowk on the day of voting, saying it was an "outrage" and a "testament to the triumph of the no-confidence motion but also #TabahiSarkar's resort to mob violence".

In a series of tweets, Rehman said it was "clear that [the prime minister] has lost his majority, but also all claims to being a democratic player that adheres to a minimum rule of law. Tehreek-i-Insaf has become Tehreek-i-Intishar (party of chaos) in a blatant attempt to subvert the constitution to hang on to power".

The National Assembly Secretariat had informed NA Speaker Asad Qaiser that preventing a parliamentarian from voting was unconstitutional, she said, adding "this desperation to hang on to office is a sad demonstration of the lengths PTI is willing to go in crossing all democratic red lines."

hearing the news that voting will be after 23rd March, due to Pakistan Resolution Day and OIC summit .......

And the Chinese have thrown their hat into the ring! Hopefully after this meet PML-Q holds steady with the ruling coalition. Or atleast that's how I'm reading it, would be surprised if China also welcomes a change in leadership.

China steps in for political, economic stability in Pakistan

Amid rising political temperature, the deputy head of Mission of Chinese Embassy, Pang Chunxue, met the Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) leadership on Sunday to discuss the current political situation and convey that China wants political and economic stability in Pakistan.

“China wants political and economic stability in Pakistan,” Chunxue was quoted as saying in PML-Q’s official statement.

She also called on PML-Q President and former prime minister Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain and incumbent Punjab Assembly Speaker Chaudhry Parvaiz Elahi and discussed in detail the current political situation in the country and issues of mutual interest at their residence.

Federal Minister for Water Resources Moonis Elahi, ex-federal minister Chaudhry Wajahat Hussain, and MNA Hussain Elahi were also present on the occasion.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2347817/china-steps-in-for-political-economic-stability-in-pakistan

Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) on Monday claimed to have "reached an understanding" with and decided to work with Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) in the "greater interest of the country" but did not say if their agreement also included any support in the joint opposition's no-trust against Prime Minister Imran Khan.

A PPP spokesperson said the "agreement" was made in a meeting at Zardari House in Islamabad between PPP leadership — including party chairmen Asif Ali Zardari and Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari — and a delegation from the MQM-P.

The two parties "discussed the current political situation in the country", the PPP spokesperson said. "PPP agreed to all of MQM-P's points of concern."

The MQM-P, in its own statement, acknowledged that the meeting with the PPP was in continuation of the series of political meetings it has held over the past few days but also said that it was yet to decide on its stance on the no-trust move.

"A decision on the political situation, including the no-trust move, will be taken after considering the interests of our people," an MQM-P spokesperson said, adding that the party was still in the process of consultation on the issue.

The spokesperson did, however, confirm that the MQM-P and PPP agreed to have a better relationship to resolve the problems of urban Sindh.

"An agreement was reached to resolve administrative and legal challenges through legislation," the MQM-P spokesperson said.

The meeting between the two parties was also attended by former prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah, Local Government Minister Nasir Hussain Shah, Sindh Information Minister Saeed Ghani and senior leader Sharjeel Memon.

Meanwhile, Federal Minister for Information Technology and Telecommunication Amin-ul-Haque, convener Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui, senior deputy convener Amir Khan, Wasim Akhtar, Khawaja Izhar-ul-Hasan and Javed Hanif were part of the MQM-P delegation.

The MQM-P and PPP's meeting comes amid a no-trust move against Prime Minister Imran Khan in the National Assembly. Both the ruling PTI and the opposition alliance have been trying to woo the MQM-P, whose seven seats could prove crucial in determining whether the prime minister retains his position or the opposition manages to de-seat him.

'Options are open'

Last week, Prime Minister Imran had visited Karachi to hold meetings with the leadership of MQM-P and Grand Democratic Alliance (GDA), allies of his government in the Centre.

The Prime Minister's Office had said the premier discussed the current political situation with the MQM-P leaders, who in turn assured him of full support.

Responding to a question later on whether the MQM-P was supporting the no-trust move, party leader Amir Khan had said MQM-P was an ally of the government "but our options are open".

Another attempt by the PTI to woo the MQM-P came on Sunday when Sindh Governor Imran Ismail with his key aides visited the MQM-P headquarters in Bahadurabad. After almost an hour-long meeting, both sides sounded positive while interacting with the media but their thoughts clearly indicated that nothing conclusive had emerged in their discussion.

The MQM-P kept its cards close to its chest keeping all "options" open for the crucial parliamentary process, saying it would take a decision only "in line with national and party interest".

Earlier today, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said the PTI had complete trust in its allies in the Centre — Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q), MQM-P, Grand Democratic Alliance and the Balochistan Awami Party (BAP).

"I have been constantly saying and will repeat today that I, as a political worker, believe that all our allies ... [are with us and] and my party and I have complete faith in them.

"We believe they are very refined and honourable people. They have supported us at various points in these three years and we were, are and will remain thankful to them," the foreign minister said.

DAWN

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman Monday called on the entire nation to march towards the federal capital on March 23 for an anti-government long march.

"People should be ready for staying in Islamabad [...] we are not sure till when will the long march last," Fazl told journalists after Senator Faisal Javed announced that the PTI's rally in Islamabad will take place on March 27 and the vote on the no-confidence motion will take place a day after.

Prime Minister Imran Khan has also tasked PTI leaders to gather one million people in the federal capital as the government eyes holding the "biggest" rally in Islamabad's history in the face of the no-trust motion.

"From the door of the Parliament House to Shahrah-e-Dastoor, we will hold a historic rally. Through this, we will give a safe passage to all lawmakers for reaching the [assembly] safely and casting their vote," he said.

Read more: Ahead of no-confidence motion, govt to deploy 1,000 FC personnel in Islamabad

Fazl made the announcement after a meeting of Opposition parties which was hosted by Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly Shahbaz Sharif.

Fazl said ANP, PPP, and NDM have also been invited to partake in the "march", hoping that their response would be positive.

"Our strategy will be different from last time's long march (in 2019)."

The PDM chief said the Opposition's no-confidence motion against the prime minister was "in-line" with the expectations and the hopes of the Pakistani people.

Fazl lashed out at the PTI-led government for going against the Opposition's no-trust move by "warning the lawmakers from going to the Parliament" and opting for "unconstitutional" tactics.

In today's meeting, Fazl said the NA speaker was bound by the constitution to call a session on voting on the no-confidence motion after the requisition for the session has been submitted.

"If the speaker does not follow this, he is liable to legal action," Fazl warned, adding that the meeting's participants also stressed that the session's first agenda point should be of the no-confidence motion.

Fazl on behalf of the joint Opposition urged the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) to decide the PTI's foreign funding case and alleged that the party was "guilty".

The call comes after the Opposition had submitted the no-confidence motion against PM Imran Khan on March 8, accusing him of mismanaging the economy and poor governance.

Despite the rising political tensions, the prime minister has time and again claimed that the government's allies and PTI lawmakers stand by him and would defeat the no-confidence motion.

Read more: PM Imran Khan seeks to bolster ties with US

PM Imran Khan vowed to fight any move to unseat him. "Whatever they do, I'm ready for that," he had told a gathering in Islamabad.

'Well-aware' of how to deal with 'rioters'
In response to the PDM chief's announcement, Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said he had already stated that the Opposition was against the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation's (OIC) session in Islamabad.

"I had already said that Fazlur Rehman's real agenda was against the OIC conference. They are not able to accept that OIC foreign minister's meeting will take place here after 15 years," Chaudhry said.

The information minister warned the Opposition that the government was "well aware" of how to deal with "rioters".

GEO

Prime Minister Imran Khan is set to launch a Rs581 billion South Punjab development package to upgrade the ruined infrastructure, improve the power supply system, strengthen universities and give access to information technology.

About 122 projects have been picked, which include schemes that have been approved in recent time but lack financing and launching of new projects with public as well as private sector investment, showed the details.

The premier is keen to launch the projects ahead of no-confidence move against him and the Planning Minister Asad Umar has written to the Chief Minister Punjab Usman Buzdar to complete any remaining consultations with the stakeholders.

Although the launching of the package has been expedited, the work on the Rs581 billion initiative had been underway for the past many weeks, much before the opposition parties took a decision to bring a no-confidence motion against Imran Khan.

The package has been finalised with input from the government of Punjab, the South Punjab Secretariat and it has already been presented to Prime Minister Imran Khan last week during his visit to Lahore, according to the senior officials of the Planning Ministry.

Extensive consultations on these initiatives were carried out, in the last few months, said Asad Umar, the Planning Minister.

Many of the disgruntled members of the ruling party belong to the Southern Punjab and central Punjab districts. The government is also making efforts to bring these disgruntled members back in its fold.

South Punjab is the most neglected part of the Punjab province.

Rs581 billion breakup

Out of Rs581 billion, a major chunk of Rs182 billion will be spent on 44 projects. These schemes have been proposed by the government of Punjab, to be funded by the federal government. Another amount of Rs52 billion is being spent on 21 new schemes that are already approved in the past many months and are now funded out of the federal Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP).

The federal government has also made 13 ongoing schemes valued Rs134 billion as part of the South Punjab package.

The Ignite and Universal Services Fund that are under the Ministry of Information Technology will finance another 39 schemes in the information technology sector with an investment of Rs51 billion.

About five projects having a value of Rs162 billion will be completed under Public-Private Partnership (PPP) mode.

However, the government may face difficulties in arranging adequate finances for timely completion of these schemes, particularly after a steep cut on the PSDP.

Punjab new projects

The provincial government has proposed Rs182 billion worth 44 projects that will be undertaken by the federal government. These include the expansion of 90 kilometre stretch of N-70 at D.G Khan with a Rs15.8 billion investment. The construction of D.G Khan southern bypass at Rs6.6 billion cost is also part of the new package.

Dualization of 139 km long road from Muzaffargarh to Taranda Muhammad Panah via Alipur & head Panjnad has also been included in the package that will be completed with Rs39 billion investment. The dualization of Vehari – Abdul Hakim Road with PSDP money of Rs13 billion is also made part of the new package.

The Dualization of head Muhammad Wala Bridge on River Chenab worth Rs7 billion, construction of a bridge on River Chenab connecting Khan Garh with Shujaabad costing Rs7.2 billion, construction of a bridge on River Chenab connecting Shaher Sultan with Jalalpur Pirwala worth Rs6.5 billion, construction of bridge on River Chenab at Mud Wala connecting Alipur with Jalalpur Pirwala Rs5.7 billion, Bahawalpur (N-5) Connectivity to Multan Sukkur Motorway Rs6 billion, construction of road from Garh Maharaja to Chowk Munda Rs5 billion and dualization of Multan–Shujaabad–Jalalpur Pirwala road Rs8.5 billion are included in the package to improve the ruined road network.

With Rs5 billion investment, the cotton revival programme will be launched in South Punjab. The construction of Murunj Dam on Kaha Hill Torrent worth Rs10 billion, reclamation of waterlogged agriculture land of Border Area along Hakra Canal Rs1.6 billion, Mitigation of Water Logging in District R.Y.Khan Rs1.6 billion, reclamation of agriculture land in the command area of Abbasia Canal and Abbasia Link Canal are included in the package to improve agriculture services in the area.

The 500KV Vehari substation will be constructed with Rs20 billion to ensure a smooth electricity supply in the area.

Some small projects at the union council level in district Muzaffargarh are also made part of the package, having Rs1.7 billion total value.

The establishment of South Punjab Information Technology Zone at Khawaja Farid University of Engineering & Information Technology (KFUEIT), Rahim Yar Khan and the establishment of Skill Development Centre at Islamia University in collaboration with NAVTAC are included in the package.

There will also be a real-time online bidding platform exclusively for cattle / buffalo traders

The Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Oncology at Sheikh Zayed Medical College / Hospital, Rahim Yar Khan will be set up with a Rs2 billion investment.

PPP mode

The PTI government has decided to launch the electrification of 600,000 households project through microgrids and individual solar home systems with minimum battery storage. The estimated cost of the project is Rs50 billion.

In the agriculture and livestock sector, the FMD free zones integrated with value- added Livestock & Allied Products City Complex worth Rs4.5 billion, Mango Export Promotion through Value Chain approach Rs3.5 billion, Potato Integrated Value Chain Development (Seed production, processing & value addition) Rs3.2 billion and Peri-Urban Small to Medium Milk Pasteurization Units Rs800 million are included in the package.

New PSDP

The plan includes Rs52 billion worth 21 new schemes in South Punjab districts. The 220kv Dharki-Rahim Yar Khan power transmission station with Rs15.8 billion investment is also part of the package. The project had been approved in September 2019.

The other major projects include Rs7.2 billion worth construction of roads on Indus River in Rahim Yar Khan, construction of a road in Bahawalpur with Rs3.6 billion cost, dualization of Mian Channu road with Rs2.1 billion cost, dualization of Karam dad Qureshi road, Muzaffargarh at Rs2.3 billion, expansion of Tehsil Taunsa road with Rs8.3 billion investment, widening of Haroonabad to Fort Abbas road with Rs2.6 billion cost,

The establishment of COMSATS university in Kot Addu worth Rs1.9 billion, strengthening of Islamia University Bahawalpur Rs4.2 billion, strengthening of the Women University Multan at Rs1.5 billion cost is made part of the package.

Asad Umar said the federal government was committed to providing a maximum share in federal resources to South Punjab for its speedy development and bringing it at par with other areas by the vision of Prime Minister Imran Khan.

Prime Minister Imran Khan on Monday said he was not worried about the no-confidence motion against him as the situation leading up to the no-trust vote is “satisfactory”.

The premier made these remarks during a meeting of the core committee of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf that was summoned to devise a strategy in light of the uncertain political situation prevailing in the country.

During the meeting, Imran said the government was prepared to defeat the no-confidence motion and every decision will be taken with due consultation. “The opposition is in haste because the [corruption] cases against them are about to conclude,” he added.

The participants of the meeting were told that the government was in no hurry to summon the National Assembly session. However, according to rules, the speaker needs to convene the session within 14 days of submission of the motion.

Read PTI's Warraich rejoins PPP ahead of no-trust move

It was further said that the allies were standing with the government and that the government lawmakers were being offered millions in return for voting against Imran.

During the meeting, Planning Minister Asad Umar briefed about contacts with allied parties while Babar Awan briefed the party leadership on legal aspects. The provincial presidents of PTI briefed the core committee over organisational matters.

It was decided to pursue an aggressive strategy of “exposing the corrupt clique” by continuing the countrywide political gathering.

'Multiple conspiracies'

In a post-meeting briefing to media, Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said the PTI core committee expressed full confidence in the leadership of the premier.

He said the core committee condemned the tactics being employed by the opposition parties to allegedly promote horse-trading in the house. Fawad said Imran was fighting against “multiple conspiracies”.

According to Fawad, “Pakistan, under the leadership of Prime Minister Imran Khan, has emerged as a country with an independent foreign policy.” He added that the opposition will be surprised with PTI moves.

The information minister was confident that the allied parties will stand by the government.

PTI leader Aamir Mehmood Kiani said that the public gathering, to be organised by PTI, at D-chowk will be historic as "over one million people from across the country will attend" the power show.

Kiani added the date of the gathering is to be decided by Imran and that it will determine the future course of politics.

No-confidence motion

After filing the motion against the premier last week, the opposition spent the past few weeks reaching out to government’s allies – it now claims to have enough votes. The government, on the other hand, has intensified efforts to woo its allies to thwart the no-trust move.

An opposition party’s lawmaker claimed that the government's allied parties would leave the federal government in the next 48 hours and claimed that PM Imran has no chance to survive the no-confidence motion.

Senator Faisal Javed Khan on Monday said that the National Assembly session on the no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan would take place after March 27.

The PTI leader made the announcement on Twitter and added that the "biggest rally in the history of Pakistan" would be held on Sunday, March 27 at Islamabad's Azadi Chowk, Islamabad.

"The opposition would face complete defeat in the no-confidence motion which would take place after March 27," Javed said.

Prime Minister Imran Khan has “thanked” the opposition parties for moving no-trust motion against him, saying that the people have forgotten about inflation and other issues because of opposition’s move.

“Thanks to the opposition, because of which people have forgotten about inflation and prices of tomatoe and onions… not only the no-confidence motion will fail but also the opposition will lose the 2023 elections,” said the premier while addressing ‘Overseas Convention’ in Islamabad on Tuesday.

The premier said the opposition’s attempt to topple his government has also helped him to re-strengthen his party.

“Leaders of PPP and PML-N and [JUI-F chief] Fazlur Rehman used to call each other thieves and now these ‘three stooges’ have formed alliance against me,” he added.

The premier once again clarified that he was not the one who labeled JUI-F chief Fazlur Rehman as “diesel” but it was a member of PML-N who gave him this title “because he used to earn money by selling diesel permits”.

“If the country is to be rescued by these ‘three stooges’ then people are better off drowning with Imran Khan,” the premier remarked.

The prime minister’s statement comes two days after he shared that his main objective of joining politics 25 years ago was not to check the prices of “potatoes and tomatoes” but to make Pakistani people a great nation.

“I did not need to come into politics because I had achieved everything in my life. I entered politics only for the future of the [Pakistani] youth,” he said while delivering a hard-hitting speech to a political gathering in Hafizabad on Sunday.

These remarks came in the wake of the united opposition front submitting a requisition for a no-confidence motion against him on March 8, pinning its hopes for its success on the estranged members of the ruling party and its allies.

PM Imran has maintained that he was not worried by the opposition's bid to oust him through a no-confidence motion.

‘Not anti-US, anti-India’

Speaking about the country’s foreign policy, PM Imran in today’s speech, said he was not against any country and added that only an insane person can go against the entire world. “I am not anti-America or anti-India... only an insane person can go against the entire world. However, I was against their policies such as war on terror and Iraq invasion,” the premier remarked.

Hitting out at Indian PM Narendra Modi, the premier said his policy of Hindutva is taking the neighbouring country towards the path of destruction “because this ideology considers Hindus racially superior than others”.

PM Imran said he opposed the US policy of carrying out drone strike inside any country because no [state] has the right to violate international laws.

“You cannot be the Judge, jury and the executioner… you don’t allow others to do the same… will you allow us to carry out drone attack on the criminal sitting in London,” the PM said while referring to MQM founder Altaf Hussain.

PM Imran said the past governments of PPP and PML-N remained tight-lipped while the US carried out almost 400 drone strikes inside Pakistan.

“They [PPP and PML-N] did not speak out against them because they fear that their offshore assets could be frozen... they can even sell Pakistan to protect their wealth.”

On past conspiracies and ZAB

Quoting Indian journalist Barka Dutt’s book, the premier said Nawaz as prime minister of the country held a secret meeting with his Indian counterpart Modi in Nepal.

Likewise, the premier said Hussain Haqqani as Pakistan’s envoy to the US during the PPP era asked American officials to protect the then president, Asif Ali Zardari from Pakistan’s military.

However despite differences, PM Imran said, he admired the leadership of former prime minister and PPP founder Zulfikar Ali Bhutto.

“I admit that Bhutto was an upright leader. He would stand for the country’s interests and that’s why people are proud of him,” he remarked.

‘My govt better than all’

At the end of his speech, PM Imran maintained that no government in the past had performed better than his administration given the “unprecedented challenges” such as Covid-19 pandemic.

“I challenge media, economists and opposition parties to hold a public debate over my government’s performance during the last three-and-a-half years.”

Express Tribune

Pakistan Muslim League-Q leader Chaudhry Parvez Elahi on Tuesday said that the opposition alliance Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM) has the support of “more than required” lawmakers to pass the no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan in the National Assembly, warning that there are “plenty of surprises in store”.

The PML-Q, which is also an ally of the PTI government in Punjab, has assumed much more importance since opposition parties stepped up efforts to dislodge the government through a no-trust move. In order for such a move to succeed, the opposition would require PML-Q's votes in the National Assembly. The party has five seats in the NA.

Elahi, in an interview with HUM News anchor Meher Bokhari today, was asked to comment on PPP Chairperson Asif Ali Zardari’s claim that the opposition has more than 172 lawmakers’ support in the National Assembly. To this, Elahi concurred and said: “He (Zardari) is right. They have the required number … even have more than what one can imagine. This is what we have assessed and seen.”

The PML-Q leader said the government was itself to blame for the position it was in, saying that it never learnt how to build relationships and instead “ruined things with everyone, including its own people”.

Elahi said that he has already been offered Punjab’s chief ministership as well as electoral alliance — including seat-to-seat adjustment — by the opposition alliance but the government has yet to make that offer.

When asked why he hasn’t accepted the offer yet, Elahi said: “The wait is that what would the government do. Maybe the government might do the same.”

Elahi said that the option of seat adjustment had been discussed with the PTI in the past but "then they should also stay true to their words."

Without naming PM Imran, Elahi implied that the commitments made to his party had not been honoured. "They are old enough now ... they are not children anymore. They should at least rectify their track record or people won't have trust in you."

He admitted that there was trust deficit with the PML-N as well Zardari intervened and gave the PML-Q his guarantee. "He (Zardari) clearly said that if you do not want to do it with them (PML-Q) then I also won't be a part of this game. That's when the PML-N got serious."

He accused the government of forcing the National Accountability Bureau to target the PML-Q, including its leader Moonis Elahi, who is also a federal minister. "The NAB officials said that there are no cases to be made against them so then they ordered the NAB that 'if you keep on looking you will find something.'"

Without naming any names, the PML-Q leader said that "the work carried out on the government's behalf never allowed it to learn things for itself."

"The child will learn to walk only when you put him down," he said metaphorically. "Would you keep on changing nappies all his life?"

Elahi ruled out the possibility of early elections, saying that PPP's Zardari has told him that the five-year tenure of the lawmakers would be completed.

Earlier in the interview, the PML-Q leader urged both the government and the opposition to call off their planned power shows, saying that such confrontations would not be in the interest of the country and not benefit anyone.

He urged the government to move first and call off its planned political gathering for March 27, saying that would put pressure the opposition to do the same.

DAWN

Pakistan Muslim League-Q leader Chaudhry Parvez Elahi on Tuesday said that the opposition alliance Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM) has the support of “more than required” lawmakers to pass the no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan in the National Assembly, warning that there are “plenty of surprises in store”.

The PML-Q, which is also an ally of the PTI government in Punjab, has assumed much more importance since opposition parties stepped up efforts to dislodge the government through a no-trust move. In order for such a move to succeed, the opposition would require PML-Q's votes in the National Assembly. The party has five seats in the NA.

Elahi, in an interview with HUM News anchor Meher Bokhari today, was asked to comment on PPP Chairperson Asif Ali Zardari’s claim that the opposition has more than 172 lawmakers’ support in the National Assembly. To this, Elahi concurred and said: “He (Zardari) is right. They have the required number … even have more than what one can imagine. This is what we have assessed and seen.”

The PML-Q leader said the government was itself to blame for the position it was in, saying that it never learnt how to build relationships and instead “ruined things with everyone, including its own people”.

Elahi said that he has already been offered Punjab’s chief ministership as well as electoral alliance — including seat-to-seat adjustment — by the opposition alliance but the government has yet to make that offer.

When asked why he hasn’t accepted the offer yet, Elahi said: “The wait is that what would the government do. Maybe the government might do the same.”

Elahi said that the option of seat adjustment had been discussed with the PTI in the past but "then they should also stay true to their words."

Without naming PM Imran, Elahi implied that the commitments made to his party had not been honoured. "They are old enough now ... they are not children anymore. They should at least rectify their track record or people won't have trust in you."

He admitted that there was trust deficit with the PML-N as well Zardari intervened and gave the PML-Q his guarantee. "He (Zardari) clearly said that if you do not want to do it with them (PML-Q) then I also won't be a part of this game. That's when the PML-N got serious."

He accused the government of forcing the National Accountability Bureau to target the PML-Q, including its leader Moonis Elahi, who is also a federal minister. "The NAB officials said that there are no cases to be made against them so then they ordered the NAB that 'if you keep on looking you will find something.'"

Without naming any names, the PML-Q leader said that "the work carried out on the government's behalf never allowed it to learn things for itself."

"The child will learn to walk only when you put him down," he said metaphorically. "Would you keep on changing nappies all his life?"

Elahi ruled out the possibility of early elections, saying that PPP's Zardari has told him that the five-year tenure of the lawmakers would be completed.

Earlier in the interview, the PML-Q leader urged both the government and the opposition to call off their planned power shows, saying that such confrontations would not be in the interest of the country and not benefit anyone.

He urged the government to move first and call off its planned political gathering for March 27, saying that would put pressure the opposition to do the same.

DAWN

I think PE has joined with the mafia and the oppositionwill win the no confidence vote. Let the Q league make their bed with the mafia. These guys couldn't even win their own seats without IK.

Back