Afghanistan (148/6) defeat Australia (127) by 21 runs in the Super 8 clash of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
In the 48th match of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024, Afghanistan is set to take on Australia. So far in the Super 8 stage, Afghanistan has played one match and unfortunately faced defeat, placing them third in Group 1. On the other hand, Australia has emerged victorious in their only game, positioning them at the top of the group.

In their previous encounter, Afghanistan competed against India and fell short by 47 runs, despite Azmatullah Omarzai’s contribution of 26 runs. Conversely, Australia locked horns with Bangladesh and triumphed with a margin of 28 runs, thanks to David Warner’s 53 runs and Pat Cummins’ impressive hat-trick.

w1dFfSO.jpg

Squads:

Australia
Squad: David Warner, Travis Head, Mitchell Marsh(c), Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Matthew Wade(w), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood, Josh Inglis, Cameron Green, Nathan Ellis, Ashton Agar

Afghanistan Squad: Rahmanullah Gurbaz(w), Hazratullah Zazai, Ibrahim Zadran, Gulbadin Naib, Azmatullah Omarzai, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan(c), Noor Ahmad, Naveen-ul-Haq, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Fareed Ahmad Malik, Karim Janat, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Mohammad Ishaq, Nangeyalia Kharote
=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

if Afghanistan cricket team responsible for educating women? These countries have a lot of double standards!

Curious to see the match. On any other ground i would say carnage right of the bat. But at St.vincent they can shock Aussies like they ddi in 2023 world cup reducing them to 91/7. But Mujeeb is a massive miss for them against Head and Warner.

Curious to see the match. On any other ground i would say carnage right of the bat. But at St.vincent they can shock Aussies like they ddi in 2023 world cup reducing them to 91/7. But Mujeeb is a massive miss for them against Head and Warner.
Naw bro, the wc 202e scare won't happen again

Warner has not looked good against spin. Maxwell and Marsh are badly out of form. The pitch is pretty spin-friendly. There are quite a few openings for Afghanistan. But somehow I feel like Australia will be too good for them.

Aus is absolute fave here but Afg not out though. They have a few good spinners and if they get Head and Warner early , who knows. But Aus in clutch games is so tough to beat - like a brick wall , More probable is Aus steamrolling Afg here

Aus is absolute fave here but Afg not out though. They have a few good spinners and if they get Head and Warner early , who knows. But Aus in clutch games is so tough to beat - like a brick wall , More probable is Aus steamrolling Afg here
Wc 2023 scare won't happen again. Also they no longer have to worry about Smith, labu and inglis being dead weights

Does Anyone believe Afg will beat Australia?

Each Afghani player will remember Maxwells ATG innings. The scars of that innings run so deep that AFG players will just wilt and wither away.

Even if the play at 100% potential. They still wont be able to even threaten Australia.

:dw

If Afghanistan pulls off a win somehow it will become a do or die match for Australia against India as Afghanistan will just have to beat BD.

IT is very hard for Afghans to negotiate swing of Starc who is likely to get more swing in these conditions.

Does Anyone believe Afg will beat Australia?

Each Afghani player will remember Maxwells ATG innings. The scars of that innings run so deep that AFG players will just wilt and wither away.

Even if the play at 100% potential. They still wont be able to even threaten Australia.

:dw

Game is in St. Vincent. Should assist spinners of Afghanistan.

But, Aussies are still favorites. Aussies also have Zampa.

I know it is a night game. Afghanistan still should try to bat first. They simply cannot handle the pressur eof chasing even 140 against Aussies.
Afghanistan need to come up with a better game plan. They are top heavy, so when they lose early wickets they fall like house of cards. They need to pace their innings better. Try to bat at 7-8 RPO for first 12-13 and then look to accelerate. Need to keep wickets in hand.

They should have had India/Australia match today. On a saturday. Having it Monday is not convenient for me.

Next time they should keep you in mind when making the schedule lol

In all seriousness, a match like this should have been scheduled on a weekend especially when they already knew well in advance.

Would have been awesome to have India vs Australia match.

This world T20 is insanely boring. Lack of atmosphere. Lack of true pitches, Similar to 2007 world cup. South Africa and India are the best in terms of atmosphere. WI has to be the worst.

I really enjoyed the games in the US, great atmosphere, and personally I loved the pitches creating some exciting finishes in low scoring matches. However, the games in the West Indies feel like warm up games, no atmosphere, so many empty seats. Cricket in world tournaments shouldn’t be played in the west indies.

I really enjoyed the games in the US, great atmosphere, and personally I loved the pitches creating some exciting finishes in low scoring matches. However, the games in the West Indies feel like warm up games, no atmosphere, so many empty seats. Cricket in world tournaments shouldn’t be played in the west indies.

West Indies is the most boring venue. 2007 WC was boring also.

Talking about West Indies matches. Very dull, boring. Tennis ball cricket leagues in India have way better atmosphere.

Australia have won the toss and have opted to field

Afghanistan
(Playing XI): Rahmanullah Gurbaz(w), Ibrahim Zadran, Gulbadin Naib, Azmatullah Omarzai, Mohammad Nabi, Karim Janat, Nangeyalia Kharote, Rashid Khan(c), Noor Ahmad, Naveen-ul-Haq, Fazalhaq Farooqi

Australia (Playing XI): David Warner, Travis Head, Mitchell Marsh(c), Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Matthew Wade(w), Pat Cummins, Ashton Agar, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood

Afghanistan has to be very very careful here before attacking spinners here. It is suicidal.

Ponting thinks Australia has made the wrong call here. This probably is not Ahmedabad where excessive dew helped them.

120-130 would be very challenging on this pitch. Why would you create such a pitch? This World Cup has been somewhat overshadowed by poor pitches and empty seats.

120-130 would be very challenging on this pitch. Why would you create such a pitch? This World Cup has been somewhat overshadowed by poor pitches and empty seats.
This looks like 5th day subcontinent pitch. 2 overs 2 runs Agar. Any other pitch he would not have got such a figure.

Afghanistan should target 120 runs. Then only they will play responsibly. Otherwise they will lose their plot.

40 for no loss in power play , not a bad start but they will need to build on the foundation here

Maybe pitch is not that terrible. However, new batsmen might find it difficult. So a set batsmen should carry on.

If Mujeeb had played i would have backed Afghanistan. There is no way on this pitch Warner or Head would have survived against his swinging off spin.

They definitely play better than how Rohit and Kohli would have done on this pitch. Very tricky surface.

Afghans need to be more proactive here , they cannot just keep rotating for singles.

Back