Afghanistan announces ICC T20 World Cup 2024 squad

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Afghanistan named their 15-member squad for the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 in the West Indies and the USA in June this year, with Rashid Khan set to lead the side.

Afghanistan have made a few additions to their squad compared to the 2022 edition, with Karim Janat, Mohammad Ishaq, and Noor Ahmad all named in the side.

However, Hashmatullah Shahidi, who led Afghanistan in last year's ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023, wasn't part of the side, his last T20I appearance coming in 2022.

Youngster Nangyal Kharoti, who made his international debut for Afghanistan in March this year against Ireland, also finds a place in the squad. The 20-year-old impressed in that series with five wickets in three matches with an economy of just 5.90.

Another young Afghan player to seal a spot is wicketkeeper batter Mohammad Ishaq, who was part of Afghanistan’s squad in the 2020 and 2022 ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cups.

Rashid will lead the spin department with support from Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Noor Ahmad, Nangyal Kharoti and veteran Mohammad Nabi.

Naveen-ul-Haq, Fareed Ahmad and Fazalhaq Farooq have retained their spots and make up Afghanistan’s fast-bowling line-up.

Afghanistan Squad: Rahmanullah Gurbaz (wk), Ibrahim Zadran, Azmatullah Omarzai, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Ishaq, Mohammad Nabi, Gulbadin Naib, Karim Janat, Rashid Khan (c), Nangyal Kharoti, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Noor Ahmad, Naveen-ul-Haq, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Fareed Ahmad Malik

Reserves: Sediq Atal, Hazratullah Zazai, Saleem Safi

T20 World Cup: Our Batting Lineup Can Chase 200 Runs, Says Afghanistan Skipper Rashid Khan​

Afghanistan prepares for their T20 World Cup 2024 opener against Uganda, captain Rashid Khan believes the team's batting has matured to the point where chasing a target of 200 in a T20I is no longer daunting. Afghanistan had excelled in all departments as they confident win over Scotland in Trinidad in their warm-up fixture. "In the past, we were struggling a little bit in the batting area. Earlier our bowlers would do a lot more and help us win the games. Later, we got those young batters, especially from the Under-19 cricket, and the way they came up to the national side, and the way they have worked hard, they got the opportunity to play for Afghanistan at a very young age and then start exploring all around the world, playing leagues where they got better and better," Rashid said on the eve of Afghanistan's tournament opener against Uganda.

"I think we have that kind of batting line-up where we can say it's fine if there is a target of 200 as well on a wicket. We have that kind of ability and skills and talent that we can express on the ground and chase that. T20 cricket is all about the mindset. As long as you have the right mindset, and you have the belief that we can do, anything is possible.

"The other thing is the actual cricket. I think we have played enough cricket in the past couple of years where our skills have got better and better. And we have been challenging the opposition," he added.

Afghanistan finds itself in Group C, along with West Indies, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and Uganda. The top two teams from this group will advance to the Super 8s, and many experts believe Afghanistan are poised to be one of them.

Rashid acknowledged the growing expectations and said, "Yeah, a few people have mentioned Afghanistan is going to be there for semis. We take that as a very positive sign. Earlier, it used to be hard for us to even qualify. And now to be nominated to be there in the top four, I think it's a big thing for us," he said.

However, Rashid emphasizes that the team is not getting carried away. Their focus remains on the present, taking each game as it comes. "It's all about how we're going to be there on the ground, delivering. We were very nearly in the last [ODI] World Cup semis as well. We were just one game away from being in the semis and that's where I feel the belief started that nothing is impossible for us as a team."

Preparation has been key for Afghanistan as they arrived early in the Caribbean and held a two-week preparatory camp. Rashid also complemented the experience many players gained in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL).

"Well, I think preparation has been great so far. A couple of weeks back, we had a domestic T20 competition, which really helped the guys to get the kind of preparation they need as a player and as a team. And then we were here two weeks earlier as well. So we got the preparation we wanted as a team."

Afghanistan coach lifts the lid on his side's secret playmaker

The presence of a two-time T20 World Cup winner is providing additional help to Afghanistan as they plot their way through the initial stages of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024.

Afghanistan's statement win in their opening group match shows they have the goods to make a deep impact in this edition of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup. The Asian side's openers showed solid form, while speedster Fazalhaq Farooqi ran through Uganda’s batting line-up. Such was their impact, that even ace spinner Rashid Khan wasn't needed to do Rashid Khan things to win it for Afghanistan.

The team continues to grow in cricketing power - proving potent with both bat and ball - in a performance that matched their eye-catching efforts from last year's ICC Men's Cricket World Cup.

Speaking after his side’s first-up win, coach Jonathan Trott credited the contribution of Bravo, who has brought about a change in the approach of Afghanistan bowlers.

“DJ (Dwayne Bravo) coming into the side, fantastic,” Trott said. “Having quality coaches also with huge experience as players [is great], but also vast franchise experience in this format of the game.

“[It’s] only a brilliant thing to have a player like him coming to the side as coach and it makes your job a lot easier but it also makes the coaching more enhanced, especially with the bowlers.

“We've seen the start of his first game with us and we saw the bowlers bowl really well, so credit to Dwayne.

“So (a) nice start for the boys.”

While Uganda was outplayed by the much-fancied Afghanistan, it was a huge learning experience for the African side – the nation’s first ever T20 World Cup match.

And captain Brian Masaba was focusing on the positives.

“Pretty special moment for us, hearing our national anthem and seeing our flag at the World Cup,” Masaba said after the match.

“First game at the World Cup, (a) lot of nerves, so good to get that out of the way," Masaba added. "Something I will cherish for the rest of my life. We will look to come out and play better next game.

They got off to a pretty good start and then it was about fighting back.

“It was very important how we fought back and full credit to the boys for that.”

ICC

Today, this team has beaten New Zealand for the very first time in ICC T20 World cup. Big qin for them but they truly deserved it. Dark horses for sure.

Today, this team has beaten New Zealand for the very first time in ICC T20 World cup. Big qin for them but they truly deserved it. Dark horses for sure.
See, I told you months back and you denied it. I told you, Afghanistan suffers from having a weak middle order but their top order, bowling, batting and even fielding are covered.

I saw these boys improve per game in 2023. These lads are so good that I can confidently say that Afghanistan of today would murk the Afghanistan of yesterday and that's how every team should be, aka constant improvement.

Not like fraud Pakistan that keeps getting weaker and weaker. Its so sad that the rankings are

2017 team > 2019 team > 2023 team > 2024 team

Fazalhaq Farooqi In this T20 WC
3/16 vs PNG
4/17 vs Newzealand
5/9 vs Uganda

12 wickets in just 3 Matches :salute

Fun fact:

No team has crossed the 100-run mark against Afghanistan in this T20 World Cup so far.

This is called complete performance. Their bowling is clicking and their batting is clicking and they are winning games because they are playing as a team.

Afghanistan is the dark horse in this World T20.

They have a tough Super 8 group though (that has India and Australia).

Former Indian cricketer Mohammad Kaif has backed Afghanistan as a potential champion in the ongoing T20 World Cup. He said while speaking to an Indian media outlet:

“Afghanistan is in good form. Their bowling attack is firing, with Fazalhaq Farooqi taking a five-wicket haul and Rashid Khan in top form. Their openers, Rahmanullah Gurbaz and Ibrahim Zadran, are also scoring big runs. They are definitely contenders to win the World Cup in these conditions.”

The Event Technical Committee of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 has approved Hazratullah Zazai as a replacement for Mujeeb ur Rahman in the Afghanistan squad.

Hazratullah, who has played 43 T20Is, was named as a replacement after Mujeeb was ruled out due to an injury to his right index finger.

The replacement of a player requires the approval of the Event Technical Committee before the player can be officially added to the squad.

'Everything was perfect in India': Afghanistan players turn chefs after halal missing from their hotel menu

The Afghanistan cricket team encountered an unexpected challenge during their stay in Bridgetown for the T20 World Cup Super Eights match against India. The absence of halal meat, a crucial component of their dietary requirements, at their hotel left them in a predicament.

The team, accustomed to the abundant hospitality they experienced in India during the previous year's 50-over tournament, found themselves in a different situation.

To address the issue, some team members took it upon themselves to temporarily assume the role of chefs.

While halal meat is available in the Caribbean region, it is not guaranteed to be a standard offering at all hotels and restaurants.

This lack of certainty posed a significant challenge for the Afghanistan team, who adhere to specific dietary guidelines.

"Halal meat is not available in our hotel. Sometimes we cook on our own or sometimes we go out. In the last World Cup in India, everything was perfect. Halal beef is an issue here. We had it in St. Lucia but it is not there at all venues. A friend arranged it for us and we cooked on our own," a player told PTI.

Afghanistan Players Cook Their Own Food In Barbados. Here Is The Reason

For the Afghanistan cricketers, it was a meatball-sized problem to fork through! The non-availability of halal meat, a must-have in their menu, in their Bridgetown hotel forced them to temporarily wear a chef's apron. For the Afghans, who descended to this beautiful seaside town for their T20 World Cup Super Eights match against India, it was a different experience after tasting the overflowing Indian hospitality during last year's 50-over showpiece. Halal meat is available in the Caribbean, but it is not certain that all hotels and restaurants will have it on their menu.

“Halal meat is not available in our hotel. Sometimes we cook on our own or sometimes we go out. In the last World Cup in India, everything was perfect. Halal beef is an issue here.

“We had it in St. Lucia but it is not there at all venues. A friend arranged it for us and we cooked on our own,” a player told PTI.

India thumped Afghanistan by 47 runs at the Kensington Oval here on Thursday to make an ideal start to the Super 8 stage.

The scheduling of Super 8s is pretty intense with teams having to play three games in different countries with only one day for travel in between – a logistical nightmare in these islands with limited air connectivity.

Another member of the Afghanistan team said the nature of Super 8s schedule has also impacted the preparations.

“There is uncertainty over flights and training schedule. We are often informed about it at the last minute. We understand that the organisers are doing their best considering logistical challenges, which are bigger in the Caribbean than anywhere else,” he said.

Afghanistan next face Australia in St Vincent on Saturday.

Indian fans flock the Caribbean

The World Cup caravan has rolled from mainland America to the Caribbean but that has not diminished the support for the Indian team.

Though the Kensington Oval was half-empty for the India-Afghanistan clash, the majority of the people in the stands were wearing the blue jersey.

There were a couple of New Zealand and Pakistan fans though their teams had already bowed out of the tournament.

The proximity of the Caribbean to the USA and Canada have allowed the expat Indians to make the trip. Indians based in the UK have also taken the trans-Atlantic journey.

“I have come here from Toronto. There was no direct connectivity so I went to Miami and then came to Barbados. I have tickets for all India games, I just want one for the final here,” said Paresh.

The Caribbean locals too are involved in the frenzy. From the taxi driver to the front desk hotel manager, all are glued to the tournament and are backing the West Indies to win a record third title.

NDTV

Man the two catches in the end were remarkable, so weird they dived everywhere

What a win this is for Afghanistan. They have beaten Bangladesh in a thriller and qualified for the semi-final of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024.

Back