Andy Flower leaving the PSL to attend the IPL Draft is an insult to the PSL

Savak

Test Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
Some ex cricketers and fans are spitting blood over this and are demanding Multan Sultans to immediately terminate him as this is humiliating for the PSL and Pakistan Cricket.

I personally think we should be realistic that there is no comparison b/w IPL and all the other leagues around the world right now and no one will risk their IPL paycheque for any other board or league and if PCB or any Franchise wants to attract the best reputed coaches in the world they will have to allow them IPL leeway in their contracts.

==

Multan Sultans head coach Andy Flower has left the HBL Pakistan Super League (PSL) midway and has travelled to India for the 2022 Indian Premier League (IPL) mega auction.

Former Zimbabwe captain will take part in the auction as a head coach of new IPL franchise Lucknow Super Giants.

Flower will be available virtually and will return to Pakistan on February 13.

Sultans will be without Flower for at least 10 days. He will head Lucknow Super Giants in the mega auction scheduled in Bangalore on February 12 and 13. Travelling to India this early is to form strategies ahead of the auction.

Flower will be part of the side before the match against Karachi Kings on February 16.

Mushtaq Ahmed and other coaches will guide the squad in his absence.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s the kind of person he is. No surprises

And people want him to coach Pakistan lol

I think this just reinforces Ramiz's point about the importance of the PSL shifting its window to after the IPL i.e. June to Sept. You can't compete financially and there is too much competition with the other leagues in the November to May window, therefore why not hold the PSL where the competition will be lower

It is only an auction, he could have joined by webcam. This is disrespecting PSL for sure.

Yeah he should be terminated. No excuses he should be shown the door.

Disgraceful behaviour from a head coach.

Dont think this is an insult at all. He probably had that cleared beforehand with his PSL franchise. I cannot think missing a few days like this is going to be a major issue for any team.

Compensate him more than what he is getting from IPL, he will stick around. Why get emotional about it.
As [MENTION=17315]Stewie[/MENTION] mentions, he most probably had this cleared with MS before hand.

Multan should have clarified in the contract when they signed this coach

In fact this is a good lesson

[MENTION=2099]Cricket[/MENTION]kajoshila

Illogical.
Will your current job pay you to skip another job which is in the future?
No. They will ask you to quit and say good luck to you.

Illogical.

This auction is part of his job...which is clashing with PSL..this is all about money..he is not flying to India for his love for franchise, ipl or India
If you can't pay him enough to stay back then shut up and sit down..If tomorrow 100 give him better offer he will Kick IPL and run there mid tournament...

Illogical.

I think he's already contracted with IPL team so it's not his future job..

Illogical.

This is not a full time job. Coaches work with multiple franchisees. If one franchisee wants them to skip the work of another franchisee,they must compensate him.

I think this just reinforces Ramiz's point about the importance of the PSL shifting its window to after the IPL i.e. June to Sept. You can't compete financially and there is too much competition with the other leagues in the November to May window, therefore why not hold the PSL where the competition will be lower

Too hot in Pakistan from June to Sept..

This is not a full time job. Coaches work with multiple franchisees. If one franchisee wants them to skip the work of another franchisee,they must compensate him.

It is a conflict of interest buddy.

For example - Andy Flower May avoid playing a certain player in PSL just so that he is fit for the IPL (where he is coach as well..)

In my opinion- a person should only coach one team in the calendar year..

That’s the kind of person he is. No surprises

And people want him to coach Pakistan lol

If Saqlain Mushtaq were the coach of an IPL team - he would do exactly the same thing :)

I think the problem is the in the league / franchise rules that should prevent a person from coaching multiple teams in a calendar year

He should do that in his spare time or after work, not while he is contractually obligated to perform duties and while he is getting paid.

Multan Sultans have no interest in Andy Flower's IPL job. They paid him to be the team's coach and provide commitment, not paid him to fore-go that commitment for other ventures.

This is highly unprofessional from Andy Flower and he should be fired.

He will get a poor reputation after this.

Too hot in Pakistan from June to Sept..

I know. Which is why Ramiz wants to diversify and develop venues in Swat, Gilgit Baltistan, Fata, Muzzafarabad, Quetta e.t.c.

I think he's already contracted with IPL team so it's not his future job..

His contract starts when IPL starts. He is contracted to be present and coach Multan sultans - unless this was clarified beforehand, i dont see how this is appropriate.

This is highly unprofessional.

His contract starts when IPL starts. He is contracted to be present and coach Multan sultans - unless this was clarified beforehand, i dont see how this is appropriate.

You're saying coaches has no role in building a team..?

You're saying coaches has no role in building a team..?
Ofcourse they do but not at the expense of current contractual Obligation.
If he wants to focus on IPL team then why bother coaching Multan Sultans.

He’s double dipping.

He is doing what anyone who's reasonable would do. He is prioritizing a contract that pays him WAY more than the one he is working. PSL is a secondary compared to his IPL contract in terms of money and commitment and that is something Multan Sultan knew about and that is why there is not a lot fuss created by the organization itself.

People's moral compass is always on point when it comes to matter of other people's money and priorities. Both leagues are business leagues first and cricket leagues second.

Should wait for his PSL franchise to provide details on this.
Who knows if Flower had already informed them in advance and MS management was okay with that.

Fingers in a lot of pies these guys like Andy Flower.

He must have pre-agreed it with the franchise and if Sultans had said no, then he probably would have said stick your head coach job where the sun doesn't shine.

He should do that in his spare time or after work, not while he is contractually obligated to perform duties and while he is getting paid.

Multan Sultans have no interest in Andy Flower's IPL job. They paid him to be the team's coach and provide commitment, not paid him to fore-go that commitment for other ventures.

Andy flower is one of the elite coaches going around, his reputation isnt based on a PSL franchise.

Have you seen if he is contractually obligated to skip his IPL work for PSL, or if he is contractually obligated to skip other works for the IPL?

Who told you when his contract with IPL starts?

Apparently Flower will be in touch with the team via zoom during this time period. This is going to set a dangerous precedent, what is to stop the next high profile coach in a psl franchise to demand that he not come to Pakistan and be allowed to do his job from a distance via zoom?

Ofcourse they do but not at the expense of current contractual Obligation.
If he wants to focus on IPL team then why bother coaching Multan Sultans.

He’s double dipping.

Who told you his contract with IPL doesn't demand that he gives IPL preference over other leagues?

These coaches are there just to make money , there is No morality left in cricket any more.

I question the value of Peter Moore's, Moin Khan etc. What is the point of paying these coaches so much money if they can't make a difference to a mediocre bunch.

Maybe RR has a point that Cricket us ultimately a players game at the international level where they are the ones who will ultimately need to take charge of their games

Who told you his contract with IPL doesn't demand that he gives IPL preference over other leagues?

The onus of providing information is on you, not me. You can contact Andy Flower’s lawyer and obtain his contract and read through it for your satisfaction,

This applies to all three of your previous posts.

I already addressed the illogical thought process behind your initial blurb.

Thank you.

He will be in touch with MS via virtual meetings.He will miss a couple of games.MS are not making this an issue so it may be in his contract.

As I have said many times before, these T20 leagues need to adopt the policy of football leagues. It is the only way to stop conflict of interest.

A player/coach can only be with one team at a time. Only Indian cricketers are following this policy. Rest all plays all around the globe in every possible leagues which created massive conflict of interest.

This

Multans should let him go for breach of contract

stupid to think in this way... realistically Andy or for that matter anyone would pick money over anything else (unless its their own country league)

Andy Flower is an in-demand coach.. utalize him to get most out of him ... let him b at auctions n come back

Quite astonishing he is allowed to leave. I guess he could have joined it via zoom or something.

What's the big deal? If Flower included this clause in his contract, he is in the right. No one in their right mind would skip the IPL auction over coaching a couple of games in some random league.

Firing Flower wouldn't be accomplish anything for the league. Next thing we know, some other leach like Moin Khan or Aqib Javed will take over.

Underatandable. Ipl auction dates were announced first. Psl wasnt even suppose to happen on these days. Psl is taking place much earlier due to austrakia series. Psl would had happened after 14th...

It is unprofessional though, but than again, we dont have a fix window for psl and we are adjusting australia so multan would probably have to accept it.

Pretty sure it was discussed before hand

let just say...Andy Flower would never leave in the middle of an IPL stint for a PSL auction

stupid to think in this way... realistically Andy or for that matter anyone would pick money over anything else (unless its their own country league)

Andy Flower is an in-demand coach.. utalize him to get most out of him ... let him b at auctions n come back
You clearly do not know anything about non-competes and exclusion covenants,

If multan sultans didn’t put that into place then it’s their loss. However, still this is very unprofessional from Andy flower,

Who told you when his contract with IPL starts?
Another illogical post.
As a coach, you can only coach one team on the ground at one time. So his obligation to be on-field is when the league starts.

Before that he could study for gmat - no one cares.

He is contractually obligated to be the coach of Multan sultans which includes not to be DISTRACTED from the current job.

Why we are so insecure, why we feel insulted so easily, what's wrong with Flowers going for couple of days to attend the auction of his next assignment , that too for a franchise starting its very first season . I don;t see anything wrong. Never imagine we will have a thread to discuss the "matter".

Don't see what the big deal is. Why does everybody get offended by every little thing these days? If Multan didn't want him going to India mid-tournament they would have told him about it.

And if they don't have a problem with it, neither should anyone else.

He's just a 53 year old trying to make some big bucks before the clock on his coaching career runs out. Let him make the big bucks and get on with your life. Instead of finding pointless new ways to feel disrespected and humiliated.

Last edited:
Why we are so insecure, why we feel insulted so easily, what's wrong with Flowers going for couple of days to attend the auction of his next assignment , that too for a franchise starting its very first season . I don;t see anything wrong. Never imagine we will have a thread to discuss the "matter".

Don't see what the big deal is. Why does everybody get offended by every little thing these days? If Multan didn't want him going to India mid-tournament they would have told him about it.

And if they don't have a problem with it, neither should anyone else.

He's just a 53 year old trying to make some big bucks before the clock on his coaching career runs out. Let him make the big bucks and get on with your life. Instead of finding pointless new ways to feel disrespected and humiliated.

Maybe you should see the twitter and facebook posts of Indian posters making fun of the PCB, Pakistan Cricket and the PSL i.e. this is your true aukaat where your coach finds the IPL auction more prestigious to attend in the middle of your T-20 league.

The PCB has received some harsh reality checks this season i.e. the clash with the BPL which resulted in Gayle, Narine, Russel, Du Plessis, Perera, Naveen Haq choosing the BPL over the PSL and now given the IPL Auction clashed with the PSL where an on duty coach has left the PSL for a few days. The PCB desperately needs to find a summer window if they cannot drastically improve the PSL financials immediately.

Maybe you should see the twitter and facebook posts of Indian posters making fun of the PCB, Pakistan Cricket and the PSL i.e. this is your true aukaat where your coach finds the IPL auction more prestigious to attend in the middle of your T-20 league.

The PCB has received some harsh reality checks this season i.e. the clash with the BPL which resulted in Gayle, Narine, Russel, Du Plessis, Perera, Naveen Haq choosing the BPL over the PSL and now given the IPL Auction clashed with the PSL where an on duty coach has left the PSL for a few days. The PCB desperately needs to find a summer window if they cannot drastically improve the PSL financials immediately.

It's time PCB gets a reality check regarding the PSL. Franchises like KK, QG and LQ have treated their teams and the league as a joke and now the whole world sees it that way. It's time to put an auction in place and start paying decent wages to players and coaches. Otherwise, the PSL will remain just another league like the BPL that players join for a little bit of change.

Don't think PCB can actually do anything about this.

Need to accept whatever crumbs are thrown down at us for now.

Right now the PSL cannot hold a candle to the IPL so behaviour like this is to be expected. Any action taken against Flower will only serve to isolate PSL even more because nobody will ever choose it over the IPL.

Other than Russel, other players are not really some hot commodities. Glad no one wasted money on geriatric Gayle , who should have retired now . PSL has more followers than any other league apart from IPL, and it will grow stronger and will attract more players as the perception of security situation in Pakistan is fast improving .

Pakistan is the second largest cricket market by numbers.
Financially it will be second largest soon.

What goes around comes around - history is full of examples.

If Andy flower doesn’t think that this is inappropriate then that’s fine. We don’t need to argue
How ever no where in corporate or professional world exploring other opportunities at the expense of current work Is seen as professional. And this matter has public sentiment and political tensions associated with it. Andy Flower should have been very careful.

Other than Russel, other players are not really some hot commodities. Glad no one wasted money on geriatric Gayle , who should have retired now . PSL has more followers than any other league apart from IPL, and it will grow stronger and will attract more players as the perception of security situation in Pakistan is fast improving .

Exactly. Gayle is a waste

Narine is a chucker

Why would I care what a few random people on the internet---who have nothing better to do with their lives---think?

PCB's financials have nothing to do with the perceptions of random internet trolls. Its something they certainly need to work on and until they do, they (or anyone) can't be mad at freelancers who are just trying to look out for themselves by finding the highest paying job they can. Or prioritizing their other, more higher paying job.

This

Multans should let him go for breach of contract

The IPL auction did not just sneak up on everyone. The dates have been know for a while. It looks like the PSL franchise is not firing him. Neither have they made any statements indicating so. Which leads me to believe that this was agreed in advance by the two parties.

Sure one would want the coach to be put in all his efforts to the franchise rather than juggle multiple coaching jobs. But as long as the PSL franchise paying him does not have an issue (and looks like they don't) then everything is good. Nothing to see here.

Quite astonishing he is allowed to leave. I guess he could have joined it via zoom or something.

It's a brand new IPL franchise and he is building a whole team from the ground up. So a lot of variables involved which would require physical presence.

What would be interesting to find out is, how much of his time so far in PSL has gone towards planning for the IPL franchise? Has he already been splitting his time between PSL and IPL during the ongoing PSL?

The issue is not with what he did, the issue is the hollow arrogance and delusion of our fans and the media/ex-players who keep comparing PSL with IPL and come up with laughing assertions that PSL is better than IPL, PSL has better bowling, better your talent etc.

All nonsense. Pile of hot rubbish. PSL is just a poor imitation of IPL. Basically a beggar’s IPL.

IPL is bigger than Pakistan cricket itself now, let alone its low-budget imitation.

As long as you have players and coaches who have interests in both IPL and PSL at the same time, these things will happen.

There will be no uproar and disappointment if we stop living in cloud cuckoo land and accept the reality, regardless of how hurtful it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
The onus of providing information is on you, not me. You can contact Andy Flower’s lawyer and obtain his contract and read through it for your satisfaction,

This applies to all three of your previous posts.

I already addressed the illogical thought process behind your initial blurb.

Thank you.

The onus isn't on me. You said there is a breach of contract. If there is a breach then its Multan team that has to provide the info saying that.

Multan team hasn't claimed that there is any breach. They have allowed him to do what he wants to do.

Another illogical post.
As a coach, you can only coach one team on the ground at one time. So his obligation to be on-field is when the league starts.

Before that he could study for gmat - no one cares.

He is contractually obligated to be the coach of Multan sultans which includes not to be DISTRACTED from the current job.

Thats your opinion on a contract you haven't seen or signed.

You don't know what is there in his contract with IPL teams or PSL teams and what are the terms.

Multan team hasn't said a word about him breaching the contract.

Pakistan is the second largest cricket market by numbers.
Financially it will be second largest soon.

What goes around comes around - history is full of examples.

If Andy flower doesn’t think that this is inappropriate then that’s fine. We don’t need to argue
How ever no where in corporate or professional world exploring other opportunities at the expense of current work Is seen as professional. And this matter has public sentiment and political tensions associated with it. Andy Flower should have been very careful.

CA and ECB are signing contract for TV rights that are close to a billion dollars. PCB finds it hard to sell PSL even for 100mn. Its tv rights deal with PTV is in shambles and you claim they will be the second biggest financial power in the cricketing world? How exactly?

CA and ECB are signing contract for TV rights that are close to a billion dollars. PCB finds it hard to sell PSL even for 100mn. Its tv rights deal with PTV is in shambles and you claim they will be the second biggest financial power in the cricketing world? How exactly?

I would like to see the value of the CA and ECB deals minus any home series with India, a luxury not available to the PCB.

I would like to see the value of the CA and ECB deals minus any home series with India, a luxury not available to the PCB.

For CA and ECB ashes is the biggest revenue earner. India series is the next earner.

For CA and ECB ashes is the biggest revenue earner. India series is the next earner.

According to a report I read CA made $300 million from the Indian tour and $200 million from the Ashes

Not insult. Just a fact. He will leave PSL if given a choice to pick between PSL or IPL. It's upto the Franchise really whether or not they think if it is worth keeping Andy in the mix even if it means he will be absent for 10 days.

As long as you have players and coaches who have interests in both IPL and PSL at the same time, these things will happen.

I think I will take that and we should. If there are big players and coaches who are interested in playing PSL with their first priority being IPL. We should welcome them if they are committed to playing PSL for now. Who knows what will happen in the future with the new emerging leagues, scheduling and shifting of windows.

Not insult. Just a fact. He will leave PSL if given a choice to pick between PSL or IPL. It's upto the Franchise really whether or not they think if it is worth keeping Andy in the mix even if it means he will be absent for 10 days.

Also not sure if he can just join without quarantine etc.

Also not sure if he can just join without quarantine etc.

I'm sure they must've talked about this before. Maybe the franchise thinks it is worth having him around even if he is to do quarantine for a few days.

From their perspective it might not be too bad given they are a capable and competent staff with Mushtaq Ahmed in the camp.

From what I understand, these auctions need a lot of thought process - you just dont fly in and buy players and them run off. Which means that Flower is probably actively involved in his IPL team process DURING the time he is supposed to be fully focussed on his MS duties.

If nothing else, this is pretty poor stuff.

From what I understand, these auctions need a lot of thought process - you just dont fly in and buy players and them run off. Which means that Flower is probably actively involved in his IPL team process DURING the time he is supposed to be fully focussed on his MS duties.

If nothing else, this is pretty poor stuff.

I would say that he has been deeply involved with the team since his hire. Which means I would have to bet that some of his time during the PSL was dedicated for his IPL franchise. Which is fine if/as long as it was agreed in advance with his PSL franchise.

Working/running an IPL franchise is becoming more and more an almost full time job as the years go by. As things change, expansions happen, more demands are put forward by the owners, the coach's job becomes that much more strenuous, planning, strategizing etc. requiring more of his time. So I am not sure if IPL coaches in the future would not want to take up another job that in any way clashes with their IPL job.

I think it may come to a point in the not so distant future that IPL franchises/coaches would want their roster to report 3-4 weeks in advance to plan, practice and put strategies in place face to face. With the IPL likely heading to an 18 game regular season in a couple of years, things will require a lot of commitment from the coaching staff as well as the players.

Now imagine what happens after the next expansion when IPL goes to say 12 teams.

I would say that he has been deeply involved with the team since his hire. Which means I would have to bet that some of his time during the PSL was dedicated for his IPL franchise. Which is fine if/as long as it was agreed in advance with his PSL franchise.

Working/running an IPL franchise is becoming more and more an almost full time job as the years go by. As things change, expansions happen, more demands are put forward by the owners, the coach's job becomes that much more strenuous, planning, strategizing etc. requiring more of his time. So I am not sure if IPL coaches in the future would not want to take up another job that in any way clashes with their IPL job.

I think it may come to a point in the not so distant future that IPL franchises/coaches would want their roster to report 3-4 weeks in advance to plan, practice and put strategies in place face to face. With the IPL likely heading to an 18 game regular season in a couple of years, things will require a lot of commitment from the coaching staff as well as the players.

Now imagine what happens after the next expansion when IPL goes to say 12 teams.

Well, someone spent 900mn usd to buy that IPL team, ofcourse he must have demanded certain level of commitment from the coaches.

If Flower didn't discuss it with MS it was unprofessional. But as MS hasn't made any adverse comments, i believe they knew the commitments Flower made to the IPL.

Sad to see but at the end of the day, money is money.

Sultans may struggle without Flower's presence as it seems like he has had a big part in contributing to team strategy and planning, however I do think they have the personal to ensure steady sailing

Well, someone spent 900mn usd to buy that IPL team, ofcourse he must have demanded certain level of commitment from the coaches.

If Flower didn't discuss it with MS it was unprofessional. But as MS hasn't made any adverse comments, i believe they knew the commitments Flower made to the IPL.

Well the head coach salary in the IPL is anywhere between $325,000 - $500,000. Which is probably more than a lot of national team coaches make. What do MS pay him?

Well the head coach salary in the IPL is anywhere between $325,000 - $500,000. Which is probably more than a lot of national team coaches make. What do MS pay him?

They can pay him 2 cents. His IPL franchise could pay him 1 Billion dollars.

It does not matter.

Thats not the point.

The issue is the principle - Andy Flower accepted and CONSENTED and SIGNED to be the head coach of Multan Sultans. No one put a gun to his head!

He is DOUBLE DIPPING.

He should have declined to be Multan Sultan coach AHEAD OF TIME if HE ANTICIPATED commitment issues.

This is UNPROFESSIONAL. This is not about money.

How do you think the dressing room environment will be when they know that their coach is not committed to the current job?

Multan Sultans should just end his contract and wish him good luck. I would if I was them. Make an example out of this.

It makes me laugh when people only talk about money, money, money...like they're going to take all this money to their graves. lol...

The onus isn't on me. You said there is a breach of contract. If there is a breach then its Multan team that has to provide the info saying that.

Multan team hasn't claimed that there is any breach. They have allowed him to do what he wants to do.

Prove that there is no breach in contract, thank you.

Back