Anyone play Golf?

andylow

Debutant
Runs
Playing golf

Hi, I am crazy about sports, such as swimming, football and so on. It not only exercise my muscles but give me much more pleasure, now I want to try anohter sport course golf, have you played it before? At first, I cann't play it very well. If you have any tips or want to share your experience in playing golf with me, please tell me. Thanks in advance.

Ive played golf. Cant believe how easy it was, without any practice. I guess if you can bat in cricket, you'll be able to play golf.

I havent played for a couple of years, but intend to go a DRIVING RANGE just to regain the feel of hitting loads of tee-shots.

Then go to a small public 'pitch and putt' type course - usually local council owned. Get better and try a golf course that will be used by people of all ranges (most beginners) - eg 9 or 12 hole course.

Once you 've mastered that - try some thing more adventurous.

I stick to the 9-12 hole courses as thats more my level.

Trioed an 18 hole course one, and wanted to quit after 3 holes as you have experienced players playing off a handicap, and that is pressure - believe me!

welcome andylow.

I play golf. So would give you some tips.

1. Don't take your eyes of the ball while hitting it.

2. Keep your hands straight while contacting the clubs with the ball.

3. Grip. Understand how to hold and why to hold golf clubs in certain ways.

4. Stance. Moving/shifting weight from one feet to another while swinging.

5. Imagine the shot before you take it. Especially under yards around the green. where would you drop the ball how long would it role etc. This is very important to reduce your handicap.

6. Go to the range and start hitting buckets of balls.

7. Watch the pro play in TV and try to see their stances and hitting technics.

For the time being this should be enough. Let us know if any of the advice helped you or not.

Last edited:
Just started playing Golf - went to the drive range last week. I started off okay, hitting some nice straight shots BUT then i totally lost my way hitting so awful shots, tho i was aware of what i was doing wrong.

I also went to the Pitch and Pitt a couple of days back, it was a 18 hole course. My 'wedge' shots were at first poor BUT it improved dramatically as i went round the course. My putting really let me down badly, it was shocking - any tips for putting?

Also i was looking to buy a driver, any recommendations?

Now i'm no pro but my putting has dramtically improved over the past couple of weeks. Where are you going wrong with the putting GA?

My problem is my driving. I'm always shanking it to the right so end up aiming way left on my tee shot. Playing tomorrow at a local club so the right time to talk golf.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely terrible. I can't hit the ball!

A couple of months ago, I played 9 holes and got 100! That's how much I suck!

I am no pro either but can suggest few things:
Sean said:
I'm absolutely terrible. I can't hit the ball!

A couple of months ago, I played 9 holes and got 100! That's how much I suck!
Lack of concentration. Look at the ball and keep looking while the club face is hitting the ball. Don't try to look where the ball is travelling. Watch the impact.

Rob H said:
My problem is my driving. I'm always shanking it to the right so end up aiming way left on my tee shot. Playing tomorrow at a local club so the right time to talk golf.
Try to stand a little closer to the ball. May be 6 inches while driving.

Geordie Ahmed said:
I also went to the Pitch and Pitt a couple of days back, it was a 18 hole course. My 'wedge' shots were at first poor BUT it improved dramatically as i went round the course. My putting really let me down badly, it was shocking - any tips for putting?

Also i was looking to buy a driver, any recommendations?
Putting is all about confidense. Depending on the surface, one needs to read the break. For beginners, they can pick a spot before the hole after calculating the break and slope, and let the ball role to the hole from that spot. Uphill putts are easier. One don't have to worry about the speed and ball rolling by the hole. The down hill ones are the trickiest. They have to judge the speed also. I always try to read the break and calculate how many balls out side the hole I have to putt.

As for drivers, depending on club face and elevation of the tee big bertha is good.

Last edited:
Rob H said:
Now i'm no pro but my putting has dramtically improved over the past couple of weeks. Where are you going wrong with the putting GA?

not too sure - maybe its lack of concentration cos i just see where i need hit it in and where the ball currently is, perhaps i need to give more thought to the surface and whether there is any potential movement.
Also im terrible at judging the power required, either its too short or too long

BD-fan said:
Putting is all about confidense. Depending on the surface, one needs to read the break. For beginners, they can pick a spot before the hole after calculating the break and slope, and let the ball role to the hole from that spot. Uphill putts are easier. One don't have to worry about the speed and ball rolling by the hole. The down hill ones are the trickiest. They have to judge the speed also. I always try to read the break and calculate how many balls out side the hole I have to putt.

As for drivers, depending on club face and elevation of the tee big bertha is good.

Thanks for the tips - will probably go Golf on the weekend, hopefully with a bit more concentration i can improve my putting

Geordie Ahmed said:
not too sure - maybe its lack of concentration cos i just see where i need hit it in and where the ball currently is, perhaps i need to give more thought to the surface and whether there is any potential movement.
Also im terrible at judging the power required, either its too short or too long
All i can recommend is practice. Everytime i play golf the speed of the greens are different due to weather over the past week. When i play though i hardly hit any of my putts hard because they travel like lightening over the greens. Only on monster putts do i give it a lot of power.

As for BD-fan's tip on driving i'll give it a shot tomorrow but it might take a while to adjust to that too so results may be mixed.

Ok i've done a round today. I went round in +17 which i'll take. Managed to hit 8 pars and a birdie on the last. My driving was ok, better than what it usually is but unusually it was my short game which let me down.

Rob H said:
Ok i've done a round today. I went round in +17 which i'll take. Managed to hit 8 pars and a birdie on the last. My driving was ok, better than what it usually is but unusually it was my short game which let me down.

rob which golf course do you play at?

Geordie Ahmed said:
Just started playing Golf - went to the drive range last week. I started off okay, hitting some nice straight shots BUT then i totally lost my way hitting so awful shots, tho i was aware of what i was doing wrong.
Sounds like my experience. We were staying at a place that had a golf course a couple of years ago so decided to go to the driving range. Got a few good hits on the first day - was clearing 200m quite easily. But after a while lost my way and if anything got worse on the second day. I remember hitting one shot that went about 220m then all of a sudden swerved and went about 50 metres to the right. Actually went out of the driving range and landed somewhere on a road. :))

Rob H said:
Excellent game. Anything under 90 is good. It is always one or the other for me. The day I am putting well, the driver don't work, if the drivers work then chipping is horedous, if that goes smoothly then I can't putt a lick!!!

Gonna go pitch and putt 2moro - hopefully my putting will match the rest of my game. Cant wait

Any golfers?

I am a keen golfer (hope you noticed the keen golfer bit and not good golfer!!) and try to get 1 round in per week. I am pretty decent with my irons (long and short) but i have 1 main problem area viz. woods. I tend to slice most drives with the woods!!!!

I have been playing for quite a while and i am still trying to see the "fun" side of it!! Every time i come off the course i tend to be more aggressive than i was before i started the round!! :pissed:

andylow said:
Hi, I am crazy about sports, such as swimming, football and so on. It not only exercise my muscles but give me much more pleasure, now I want to try anohter sport course golf, have you played it before? At first, I cann't play it very well. If you have any tips or want to share your experience in playing golf with me, please tell me. Thanks in advance.

Yep, not very well though. I'm decent with my drives but I can't chip for peanuts. And of course nobody cares about putting even though it's where you take the most shots lol.

This is a hell of a thread bump but what the hell, I'm starting to get into golf now and wondered how the rest of my PP golfing brethren are doing.

Started a couple of months ago near the end of cricket season as a couple of teammates got me interested in giving it a go.

Haven't had any lessons, just walked onto a 9 hole course and shot 80 :mv

Went round 18 holes a few weeks later and shot 144 and I'm going back tomorrow and I want to try and knock 20 shots off that score but we'll see how it goes.

This is a hell of a thread bump but what the hell, I'm starting to get into golf now and wondered how the rest of my PP golfing brethren are doing.

Started a couple of months ago near the end of cricket season as a couple of teammates got me interested in giving it a go.

Haven't had any lessons, just walked onto a 9 hole course and shot 80 :mv

Went round 18 holes a few weeks later and shot 144 and I'm going back tomorrow and I want to try and knock 20 shots off that score but we'll see how it goes.

Played from 2002 till 2014 religiously, but work and other commitments have caught up in the last 4 years, and have played sporadically only. However, I will be playing regularly (hopefully) from next year onwards.

It is a ridiculously difficult once you learn the basics. It lulls people into a false sense of confidence because they can learn how to hit a few shots in the very first week, but most people hardly improve beyond their first 2-3 years no matter how experienced they are. The ones who continue to develop their game exponentially end up as pros.

If you are really serious about improving, don’t go anywhere near hybrids irons and graphite shafts. They are easy to hit for beginners, but it will never help you become a great player.

Steel shafts are not kind on beginners, but they are rewarding in the long-term. Moreover, distance is key success (don’t listen to sour grape golfers on the course who understate the importance of hitting long because they cannot), which is why stay clear of graphite shafts. Also, don’t go for a driver with a >10.5 degree loft.

Again, greater the loft the easier to hit, but it will have a negative impact on your ball striking in the long run.

Your first year will pretty much determine your level, and any bad habits that you pick up at this stage will haunt your forever.

ekkp9tN.jpg

EDS8n8V.jpg

I'm basically a pro now :cobra

I bottled the birdie putt and had to settle for par.

I'm pre-2017 Sergio Garcia.

Played from 2002 till 2014 religiously, but work and other commitments have caught up in the last 4 years, and have played sporadically only. However, I will be playing regularly (hopefully) from next year onwards.

It is a ridiculously difficult once you learn the basics. It lulls people into a false sense of confidence because they can learn how to hit a few shots in the very first week, but most people hardly improve beyond their first 2-3 years no matter how experienced they are. The ones who continue to develop their game exponentially end up as pros.

If you are really serious about improving, don’t go anywhere near hybrids irons and graphite shafts. They are easy to hit for beginners, but it will never help you become a great player.

Steel shafts are not kind on beginners, but they are rewarding in the long-term. Moreover, distance is key success (don’t listen to sour grape golfers on the course who understate the importance of hitting long because they cannot), which is why stay clear of graphite shafts. Also, don’t go for a driver with a >10.5 degree loft.

Again, greater the loft the easier to hit, but it will have a negative impact on your ball striking in the long run.

Your first year will pretty much determine your level, and any bad habits that you pick up at this stage will haunt your forever.

That is really for those who are a bit advanced. I'd say a handicap of 12 or less.

I am an 18 handicapper. I still struggle with my driver and constantly get myself in poor positions off the tee. Now (well haven't played regularly for 2 seasons, but whenever I do), I rarely start with a driver off the first few holes and am happy to go short with a fairway wood off the tee with the goal of being in a better position for the next shot. I rarely get a par on the first few holes, but by going shorter and accurate, I normally get a bogey, which is fine given my handicap.

If I were a 12 handicapper, I wouldn't do this.

Which course is this? the view from the tee seems familiar.

Within the M25?

Lickey Hills, just on the edge of Birmingham.

I'll give you a shout the next time I'm slumming it in London and you can witness the magical sight of me hitting my driver vertically in the air and relying on the wind to carry it 10 yards. :afridi

Back