Australia (201/7) defeat England (165/6) comfortably by 36 runs to go top of Group B in ICC World Cup 2024

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
ODI World Cup 2023 Champions will face the defending champions of the last T20 World Cup as Australia is set to face England in their second match in the T20 World Cup 2024. This encounter will be played today at the Kensington Oval in Bridgetown, Barbados on Saturday, June 8.

Australia is coming off a 39-run victory over Oman in their opening match, while England’s initial game against Scotland was inconclusive due to rain. This will be the first T20I clash between Australia and England since 2022.

21ygLVT.jpeg

Squads:

England
Squad: Jos Buttler(w/c), Philip Salt, Will Jacks, Jonny Bairstow, Harry Brook, Moeen Ali, Liam Livingstone, Chris Jordan, Jofra Archer, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood, Reece Topley, Ben Duckett, Sam Curran, Tom Hartley

Australia Squad: David Warner, Travis Head, Mitchell Marsh(c), Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Matthew Wade(w), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Ellis, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins, Ashton Agar, Josh Inglis, Cameron Green

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Big match

England need points on the board
As an aussie fan, as much as I want Australia to win, Rain did England dirty. They might be out if England looses and I don't want this tournament to not be fun.

So for this game I'm kinda rooting for England just this once. Australia and Scotland qualifying will be boring

As an aussie fan, as much as I want Australia to win, Rain did England dirty. They might be out if England looses and I don't want this tournament to not be fun.

So for this game I'm kinda rooting for England just this once. Australia and Scotland qualifying will be boring
Part of the game

They can make their own destiny by turning up and getting the job done

Part of the game

They can make their own destiny by turning up and getting the job done
Mate, their going against the best team. Warner and maxwell are proper class players, form is temporary, their class is permanent. Stones, Tim David are probs the best no 5 and no 6 of this tournament, and only stark is the weak link in their bowling but he's still cracking that unplayable inswing that shaheen would crack in 2019.

England on the other hand have a struggling bowling unit. Their best chance is if they bowl first, If they bat first they better bat out their skins.

Australia is a scary strong team this time. If they can win an odi world cup with wasted baggage of labu and Smith and not have Travis for an entire tournament until semi's, they can win with a complete baggage.

This 2024 team is one of their strongest teams in a while. Wade is the weakest link though, should have gone for fraser as keeper in the lineup with wade as reserve

Jonny Bairstow (England player) pre-match Press Conference - 7th June 2024

[Reporter:]

How are you feeling personally and how is the group feeling ahead of this big match?

[Jonny Bairstow:]

Feeling good, thanks. It's obviously great to be in Barbados. The weather is something that you can't control and obviously that night was disappointing to get rained out but look we're really excited for tomorrow's game. It's always a great occasion. Two very good teams going toe-to-toe and yeah, it's going to be an exciting spectacle.

Because of the nature of the game the other night, you know, you guys didn't get, certainly the batters didn't get a chance to do anything. And a couple of games have got away and got results. Has that left you playing catch up a little bit going into this game do you feel?

I don't think so, I think you just go into every game exactly the same we know that we want to be winning every game from here so look you can look at it in many different ways but one point is better than none and you can't control the weather.

In terms of this Australia team a lot of familiar faces, same dressing room to yours it's a fixture that we see lots does it bring the best out of you, what do you feel going into these games against Australia now?

Look they're great games aren’t they, they're always great spectacles it's yeah like you say guys have played against each other for a long time now, which in many ways is really exciting because you know each other's games, whether it be playing against each other in the IPL or other games around the world. So, it's something that - look, 22 guys will be going out there knowing quite a bit about the opposition and hopefully it will be a fantastic atmosphere like it always is in Barbados and yeah, the best side will come out on top.

And in terms of the pitches that we've seen out here so far, I think there's maybe a feeling that it would have been a big six fest in the West Indies and teeing it up for that and you got a lot of power in your top order, but it may be a bit more nuanced than that and have you got an idea of how you think things have to play out to win a game out here?

I've not actually been out to the middle to be honest with you, just now there's obviously been a couple of different scores the other night in that Scotland game them getting 100 or whatever it was in the 10 overs comparatively with what happened in the game the night before it was obviously a low score. So, I think it can go both ways I wasn't expecting pitches to be really flat and you see scores of 250-260 like you have done in the IPL because of the nature of the conditions. You've got the wind, you've got slightly slower pitches, you only have to look at how the CPL goes and the games previously here. If someone gets in and gets going and utilises the wind then yes you can score upwards of it but at the same time if you're canny enough and clever enough to protect those scoring areas and skilful enough to execute the skills then you can restrict teams to lower scores.

Kieran Pollard has come in for this tournament, I just wondered if you could talk a little bit about what he's brought to the group.

I don't think there needs much explanation when it comes to Polly. A wealth of experience, a wealth of knowledge, a winning mentality and a guy that's won all around the world that has grown up in these conditions, I think that wealth of knowledge and also that winning mentality Is something that can't be replaced

Is he a guy you you've spoken to personally He's a resource you can get kind of go to throughout the tournament if you need advice?

I think everyone will be going to him, that's why he's here, that's why the experience that he's got, like I mentioned, doesn't need to be explained too much more. The guy’s done more than 99% of people in T20 cricket all around the world so I think his numbers speak for themselves.

What do you think - like a win on Saturday can do for England's tournament and momentum?

A win is a win, it doesn't derail us either way. We know we've got to win more games than we lose in tournament cricket, that's just part and parcel of it. A win puts you in a position in the group which is obviously more favourable, that's just the way it is, but at the end of the day, the other two games that we've got post this are must-win games anyway. So, yeah, it'll be good for momentum, it'll be good for confidence. But at the same time, if that doesn't happen, then it's not a derailer to the group because like I said with Polly there's a wealth of experience not just in the coaching staff also in the players and to have those experiences to be able to call upon when things are potentially going not so well is a fantastic position to be in.

You've played a fair bit of cricket against Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins. You probably haven't played on a pitch quite like what you're going to get tomorrow? Like just what's that challenge like for you?

Look, like I said, I've not actually been to see the wicket. However, we've played them in different conditions all around the world. So, whether that's in Australia, in England, out in the IPL, in the World Cups, over in India just recently or here in the Caribbean. You've got to adapt to the conditions that are put in front of you. Their skill sets are their skill sets. They've obviously been working on things, that's how people evolve and people develop but we've been working on things as well from a batting point of view - so look it'll be a fantastic battle as it always is when you've got three guys that you mentioned there and also Nathan Ellis as well with the skill set that he brings, whether he plays going up against a strong batting line-up and vice versa. They'll be having conversations around our bowling attack when you've got Archer, Wood, Topley, Jordan and likewise with their batters and the form that they're in too.

I've just got a couple, first of all you mentioned Nathan Ellis, what have you made of him from what you've observed?

First of all, he's a great guy, he's a lovely fella and yeah, his skill set and the way he's been obviously patient to try and get into the side I think is a credit to him. I think that the way in which he bowls, I think his slower balls and deception of them is naturally a strength of his and just his character. Look, I think that whoever plays - we need to be aware of the strengths and weaknesses, but someone like Nathan obviously is very different to Starc, Hazlewood, and Cummins. First of all, in stature, it brings a completely different challenge. But also, with his deception of slower balls is very much different to what the other three have. So, look, we'll wait and see as to which three or four seamers they play. But yeah, there's definitely discussions around Nathan because he's a quality individual.

And just, I mean, the last several times when you've played against Australia, it's either been in England or in Australia with all the stuff that comes around that. Is it almost a bit easier when, not easier, but how different is it when you're playing Australia in a country here where I mean look how many people here and in this press box and all of that other noise goes away

It doesn't really bother me to be honest whether you go into Australia it's an amazing place to go and play and it brings the best out of people when you are over there. Similarly, when Australia come to England, they're speaking about exactly the same things. So yeah - and that's just how it is. It's a great spectacle but I don't think it detracts away from anything. I look back at the T20 World Cup in Dubai for instance and the game that we played against Australia there and that was another fantastic game of cricket, wasn't it? So, no matter whether you're playing in Australia or in England, whether you're playing in World Cups or wherever it may be, they're always entertaining games and two very good teams going at it.

They talk a lot about Chris and Jofra born here and Phil Salt going to school here, but you've been coming to Barbados for 30 years. Yep. You know, what's special about it and what's changed about it in that time?

[Jonny Bairstow:]I love this place like you said I came here with my dad many times when we were younger and yeah, it's a special place to come. The people that are here on the island are really friendly, have a great sense of humour, the food's good, well apart from the other day when it started raining the weather's absolutely amazing and look this as soon as you land on the island it's an incredible atmosphere and feeling people can't be more warm towards you, they love the cricket the passion for the cricket and the knowledge for the cricket is something that's born and instilled within the people of Barbados and the Caribbean. So yeah, like I say, it's a great place to come. It's a great place and has a lot of very fond memories in my heart and my mind.

A documentary has recently come out which has followed Australia through last year's Ashes series. I was just wondering if you'd seen any of it or seen any of the fallout from it and whether you felt any of the reflections from Australia from that day at Lords was in any way disrespectful to you at all?

I've not seen any of it to be quite honest with you. I've got other things that I watch on TV and what have you. I think I've seen enough cricket when you're involved in it day to day and playing with it. I'm okay, don't need to sit and watch it in my hotel room.

In over the 12 months where you inevitably bump into players from Australia at the IPL or other places you know did the events of that Lord's test as come up in conversation, is it anything you've chatted to any of the players about?

Not really, I think that post that event the way in which us as a side reacted to that, I think was a real positive way and you look at the results after that thing that happened at Lord’s and I actually think that we finished that series a lot stronger than Australia did. So, look I think that the impact that it had on us as a side and the test side was actually a very positive effect and look you can make your own assumptions as to what effect it had on Australia and their individuals.

Toss Update:

England have won the toss and have opted to field

Australia (Playing XI): David Warner, Travis Head, Mitchell Marsh(c), Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Matthew Wade(w), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood

England (Playing XI): Jos Buttler(w/c), Philip Salt, Will Jacks, Jonny Bairstow, Harry Brook, Moeen Ali, Liam Livingstone, Chris Jordan, Jofra Archer, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood

Last edited:
I asked for some off-topic help on SAF V/S NED game thread & no one responded :(

Tactical blunder lol Who would open with 2 off spinners. They are not going to let this opportunity go.

Tactical blunder lol Who would open with 2 off spinners. They are not going to let this opportunity go.
If you are going to even. Then bowl with Livingstone. He's much more regular as a spinner and is more canny operator. Jacks didn't even bowled in the last series against Pakistan.

Lets be honest: What Head and Warner just did to part timer Jacks...which is to take advantage of his inexperience and lick him for 20 odd...RizBar would never have done that, they would have used the first over to get settled and then maybe settled for 10 plus off Jacks.

This is the reason why Pakistan is where they are currently.

This is seemingly a road. No grass whatsoever. Dry as it gets.
Yea. Barbados lately has been like this. There are couple of strips on the ground that are as flat as you will find in the Caribbean. I predicted it will be a high scoring game (lets see). But it seems like they are playing on that flatter strip.

Warner doesn't really have a great world T20 record. There were noises fo rincluding Mcgurk.

Worst bowling. This is brainless stuff from Wood. Warner hardly had to move his muscle to hit these sixes.

Eng soon realising this is not Pakistan they are playing.

Those tired of the low scoring shootouts have finally got a runfest here aided by poor bowling from Wood.

Another LHB Garry Sobers sitting in the stands at ripe age of 87 watching admiringly.

No Azam Khan's around here for Wood to get a freebie wicket.

English getting a butchering in another world cup. :rahi

50 meter boundary is a joke though.

Wood is nothing bowler apart from pace. English experts make him like some greatest fast bowler
He used his pace the worst way possible. Just bowled in the arc of Warner. Probably the easiest delivery that Warner prefers.

Apparently he has a strong record vs LHBs. But sitting on bench.

You cannot have too much hit the deck bowling here . In the other match thread I mentioned about South Africa . They dropped Coetzee for Ottniel - the right decision.

Toppley swings it more than anyone and he has a "phenomenal" record against left handers.

Even Munsey and Michael Jones were scoring against this attack easily

Wood is nothing bowler apart from pace. English experts make him like some greatest fast bowler
If you listen to an English commentator, even the water in England is the best water in the world. Their ability to hype all things English knows no bounds.

I’m amazed by how quickly Australian batsmen read the pitch and went on at rampage. They are head and shoulders above us and many teams in many departments.

Big wicket from Moeen, what a start by Australia. He will be gutted to get out to moeen.

Aus openers laying the template for Rizba, you know what to do tomorrow lads!

No problem. Mitchell Marsh. Righ-Left combination . They can target different areas.

4D Chess by Pakistan for playing Rizwan and Babar as openers in the last game against England so their bowlers get used to that sort of openers.

Back