Australia v England | 3rd Ashes Test | Perth | Day 1 | 13/12/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Cook be suspended for failing to manage the over rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comical fielding from England Cook isn't happy as Carbs and Root make a hash of it

England should be short by at least 8-10 overs. The Aussies have done well by not letting Swann settle. Cook has to resort to faster bowlers, which aint helping the over rate at all.

Carbs and Root have failed to catch the Test match

Eng actually haven't bowl with any plan here. They have been all over so far.

The cookie [sic] hasn't crumbled for us this season has it? Performance levels just not up to scratch, to boot.

Looking like another defeat.

Smith has shown here today , he belongs to Test cricket. impressive knock when chips were down.

Smith and Haddin have got England on the mat. Should not let them off by throwing away their wickets.

Hopefully Haddin doesn't get sucked in to playing at a wide one

Australia should show some mercy and declare now. I'm feeling pity for England

England taking soooo long to change their bowlers, to bowl, to set their fields

bit of bounce , no sideways movement & generally a good batting surface . Had the temp not been over 40 c , i would have said a draw .

England look like they've already surrendered. Desperately trying to slow down the pace of the match.

may be the heat has got to do with it

That was a retarded shot from Haddon with 3 men out there. Did his job though

This is not the demonic surface previews were full of . Draw in contention ?

Aus look set for 375 here .

If we could have England fielding for another half a day it would be awesome. They're moving around at Browns cows out there

This is not the demonic surface previews were full of . Draw in contention ?

As if previous 2 tests had a demonic pitch ;)

Pitch here will actually get lot faster on day 2 & 3.

Last edited:
As if previous 2 tests had a demonic pitch ;)

Pitch here will actually get lot faster on day 2 & 3.

That was poor cricket by the visitors .

Eng might buckle up & match the likely Aus score of 375 .

100 for Smiffy. Still not sold on him at no5 but he played well under pressure and when the team needed him to stand up and make a big score

Good job Smith. Go on and make it a big one.

smith is doing a great job, has fielding well, bowled a bit of overs and he is getting better and better at batting.. he do not look good but effective and hard worker he is

Engarrlaand had a good chance to get a stranglehold in the game but blew it. Brilliant partnership between Smiffy and Haddin. What a series Haddin is having. His scores thus far 94, 53, 118 and 55. Masterstroke by Clarke and Aus selectors.

Defensive team selection from England imo. No need for Bresnan and Stokes. How do you expect to win a test with one bowler who averages under 30?

Since Johnson has batted well here, one thing is for sure that he would bowl reasonably well too.

So OZ finish the day with 326/6 in 87 overs, with a run rate of 3.74.

England had their chances but could not capitalize. Cook's captaincy continues to look ordinary.

The problem for England is that even Broad looked out of sorts here by the standards he has set in first two tests.

Overall a fine day for OZ, who should look to bat preferably till tea tomorrow.

Foot off the pedal again.

The sooner Cook goes the better.

Aus's day fo sho. Maybe even an innings defeat is on the cards here for Eng me thinks. Bowled way too short and let the game get away even after having Aus on the ropes. MJ for a 10-fer! :wasim

Batted Smith, batted Haddin.

Nine test wins and three losses from seventeen tests as skipper. He's here to stay for a long time yet, barring injury.

Will be very difficult for England to win from here.

Once again the door was ajar but England couldn't force their way through.

Batted Smith, batted Haddin.

Nine test wins and three losses from seventeen tests as skipper. He's here to stay for a long time yet, barring injury.
Those losses will pile up, it's only a matter of time now with his best players in decline.

For Australia the Test match is saved morel like 3-0 or 2-0 no chance of 2-1 :13:

Cook is a terrible captain IMO and just as if not more defensive than Misbah, Ashes are well and truly gone.

Cook is even more defensive than Strauss, it's actually a step back for England re captaincy

Who would you replace him with?

The guy has the respect of his team. He is defensive but not tactically inept.

The only option I see might be Stuart Broad. But he's only recently started stringing together good performances consistently.

Good days play from Australia, win or lose its good that they are scoring fast and not scared to have a crack. At 4/140 odd they could have gone defensive but they still backed themselves. England need to be careful they dont fall into the trap of just trying not to get out and take on the bowling, not full on attack but just back themselves and play their shots.

Back from the days play. Was great fun to watch.

Cook needs to take control and be a leader. He's making field decisions by consensus at the moment which shows that he doesn't know what to do and is the cause of the poor over rate.

I don't think England bowled particularly well but save for Warner, Smith and Haddin none of the Australian batsmen played they way they should.
Players should be told not to play the hook shot if they can't play it with the bat above the ball. Haddin's shot in particular was horrible but at least he still played very well.

What impressed me most about Smith was not his good shots (and he played the hook and pull properly) but the balls he choose not to hit. Definitely got a future Captain here.

Day 1 was always going to be the best day to bat so it's good that we have mostly used it. Need to push on past 400 and knock into England in day 2 and 3 when the wicket is at its quickest.

Those losses will pile up, it's only a matter of time now with his best players in decline.

I think more wins will also pile up as SL and IND are coming next year. ;-)

His challenge will be to get through the transition period and build the new side around himself, Draco, Root, Finn, and Bairstow behind the sticks.

I don't think that Flower is letting him be imaginative in selection - he could have dropped Anderson and given Finn a run, and kept Monty for Swann.

Australias day once again in this series, England did have them on the ropes at ne point but again let things slip. As a batting unit Australias top 6 dont convince me at all that they will pile on runs, however Individual players have stepped up in each inns of this series to make a stand for Australia.

Smith may look ugly and ungainly when batting at crease but have to give him a pat on the back for his tempremant and guts to fight it out and a well deserved 100.

Aussies should be aiming for 400 and then hopefully give england a good running over with some chin music.

England bowlers were pretty **** poor all day and leaking almost a boundary ball every over is not the sort of quality you should be showing in test cricket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back