Australia v England | 3rd Ashes Test | Perth | Day 1 | 13/12/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day overall for Australia they might go on to win this Test and series as well.

Good ton by Smith scored that time when Australia needed from someone and he delivers.

I think if England lose this test, a whitewash is definitely on the cards, their spirit will be broken beyond repair.

Another one side ashes series, another reminder of what a magnificent series the 2005 Ashes were.

Excellent Ton by Smith was hoping he would get some runs as think he is highly under rated TBH, Watson should be dropped he is killing their balance doesn't score runs and is neither a genuine wicket taking threat.

If Australia can find a solid number three they will be very hard to beat I think.

This is perhaps the best I have seen Smith play

England's bowling shows how badly the team has been demolished by the aussies mentally

To early ti discard cook as captain, this is all a learning curve. But he has tuu start scoring runs and the passengers in the squad need to make way for new blood

this is what happens when you play 4 trundlers in your team..

Bresnan looks awful, bowling 82 mph and getting pulled well infront of square repeatedly on a quick pitch.

Broad isn't a trundler though pretty quick was clocking close to 90

Pity andy "high standards" flower didn't care as much about time wasting as he does a bit of sledging.

The go slow stuff today is more disrespectful to the paying public than a bit of talk from the players.

As for the day itself guess we got out of jail again, at least it wasn't clarke or a bowler bailing us out, our top 6 is still a shambles and we desperately need somebody to step up and cement a spot.

Nine test wins and three losses from seventeen tests as skipper. He's here to stay for a long time yet, barring injury.

Crazy people want him dumped based on 2 and a bit tests, he needs to grow as a skipper no doubt but he's new to the job has a solid record and is still so young would be a backward step to dump him.

I do think flower will move on after this series or after the next english summer.

Would have been a draw written all over it if not for the 40+ c temperatures .

Pity andy "high standards" flower didn't care as much about time wasting as he does a bit of sledging.

The go slow stuff today is more disrespectful to the paying public than a bit of talk from the players.

As for the day itself guess we got out of jail again, at least it wasn't clarke or a bowler bailing us out, our top 6 is still a shambles and we desperately need somebody to step up and cement a spot.

It was horrible watching from the stands.

Trust me. This will be a good wicket for bowling.

England just didn't realise how to use the conditions and the wind was an easterly today.

Wickets in WACA gets normally quicker on day 2 and 3. You are probably going by high scoring rate but this pitch normally provides chance to score quickly as well. Pitch is not really a draw written all over it.

If anything , fast bowlers would have liked it if temperature was not that high. What's the rational for wickets having draw written all over it if temperature had been cooler?

Longtime since we saw a competitive Ashes...I thought this would be the one,because both the teams looked rather evenly matched,atleast on paper.Now Eng is clearly down,and Mitch once again is going to run over them..

Longtime since we saw a competitive Ashes...I thought this would be the one,because both the teams looked rather evenly matched,atleast on paper.Now Eng is clearly down,and Mitch once again is going to run over them..

Despite the 3-0 result I though Australia were competitive everywhere bar Lord's in England

Australia were much more competitive in England than England have been here.

MJ has has been a persistent thorn in the flesh for England. Bulldozed them with the ball and now is involved in a crucial 7th wicket partnership. Australia should be disappointed with anything less than 400 tomorrow.

MJ has has been a persistent thorn in the flesh for England. Bulldozed them with the ball and now is involved in a crucial 7th wicket partnership. Australia should be disappointed with anything less than 400 tomorrow.

Mitchell Johnson is nursing a very strong grudge over 2009 and 2010/11, the Barmy Army and some of the Englishmen (like Anderson).

Yeah i imagine the memories of the abuse he received spurs him on every time he gets a little tired, the barmy army crossed the line by targeting the blokes private life and his family so hopefully he can keep giving it back.

Mitchell Johnson is nursing a very strong grudge over 2009 and 2010/11, the Barmy Army and some of the Englishmen (like Anderson).

Hmm. The English must be regretting whatever they did to him. Seems hell bent on single-handedly whitewashing them :lee

That i agree,but Eng looks pathetic here with absolutely no interest...

I think England play more as a unit and depend less on individual brilliance. Cook's out of form, Trott has been dropped, Anderson looks very innocuous. Even Swann and KP the charismatic guys in the team have looked very mediocre. Their morale is at an alltime low. Root and to some extent Broad have done reasonably well.

Hmm. The English must be regretting whatever they did to him. Seems hell bent on single-handedly whitewashing them :lee

Well they won 3 straight so they still have that and one could argue that the taunts contributed to his poor bowling in 09 and 10/11.

Clarke and Siddle also seem to have a point to prove as well. For a few of our blokes this is personal and I don't mind that.

I think that it is making a few of the English players uncomfortable though.

Yeah i imagine the memories of the abuse he received spurs him on every time he gets a little tired, the barmy army crossed the line by targeting the blokes private life and his family so hopefully he can keep giving it back.

I think even if this team loses 5-0 it won't take anything away from what they've achieved. They beat Australia for three series in a row (including 1 away from home) and did what no other touring side has done in a long time: win a Test series in India.

As for Johnno, I'm pleased for him. Banter can only be justified to a point - if the abuse was really that personal, then frankly we deserve some payback for being so classless towards him.

Things like this always remind me of what Willem Dafoe says in Stone's Platoon: 'We been kickin' other people's @sses for that long, s'about time we started gettin' our own @sses kicked'.

Well they won 3 straight so they still have that and one could argue that the taunts contributed to his poor bowling in 09 and 10/11.

Clarke and Siddle also seem to have a point to prove as well. For a few of our blokes this is personal and I don't mind that.

I think that it is making a few of the English players uncomfortable though.

I think Warner and Johnson are the two most fired up players in this series. Both seems to want to prove a point. I understand that Johnson being abused by English fans may have fired him up but what's the deal with Warner? Warner did have incidents but not sure if those are the reasons for him to be so fired up.

What the heck's going on with Haddin.

Never rated him, but this is one last hurrah indeed. Great cricket from him.

Surprisingly, he makes bigger scores mainly in Ashes.

In 35 tests outside of Ashes, he has only 1 century and 6 half centuries but in 17 tests in Ashes , he has 3 centuries and 9 half centuries. He also does well early on before series is dead.

Batted Smith, batted Haddin.

Nine test wins and three losses from seventeen tests as skipper. He's here to stay for a long time yet, barring injury.

If he keeps playing I reckon he could give Tendy's total runs record a run for his money.

I think Warner and Johnson are the two most fired up players in this series. Both seems to want to prove a point. I understand that Johnson being abused by English fans may have fired him up but what's the deal with Warner? Warner did have incidents but not sure if those are the reasons for him to be so fired up.

Warner is just Warner. He is sledging because that is who he is. Also trying to make it up for everyone he has let down in the past and prove he is test class.

Been very good since his comeback with both bat and even the gloves. Always done well against England though.

I'm actually quite happy that he has got the chance to make a comeback. Otherwise ending a career in that way would be horrible.

If he keeps playing I reckon he could give Tendy's total runs record a run for his money.

That is a big IF, Alastair Cook now has about 50% of the total runs Tendy scored in test cricket. He will need to keep good form consistently at least for another 7-9 year (average 10-12 tests per year), to get a shot at breaking his record. Not saying it isn't doable, but definitely difficult. Needs to get back into the 10-12 form that he was in.

That is a big IF, Alastair Cook now has about 50% of the total runs Tendy scored in test cricket. He will need to keep good form consistently at least for another 7-9 year (average 10-12 tests per year), to get a shot at breaking his record. Not saying it isn't doable, but definitely difficult. Needs to get back into the 10-12 form that he was in.

Eng plays a huge amount of test cricket. He could end up playing 220-230 tests by maintaining a reasonable form and cross SRT's tally of runs easily.

I think even if this team loses 5-0 it won't take anything away from what they've achieved. They beat Australia for three series in a row (including 1 away from home) and did what no other touring side has done in a long time: win a Test series in India.

As for Johnno, I'm pleased for him. Banter can only be justified to a point - if the abuse was really that personal, then frankly we deserve some payback for being so classless towards him.

Things like this always remind me of what Willem Dafoe says in Stone's Platoon: 'We been kickin' other people's @sses for that long, s'about time we started gettin' our own @sses kicked'.

True. England have been consistently good for the last 4 years. The best team after SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back